RPG MAKER GAMES V.S COMMERCIAL GAMES

Pages: first 12 next last
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
I wonder do you think there are any games out in the RPG Making world that can rival up to some Commercial RPGs. Also is there any RPG Maker games that you would pay amount of money that you would pay for a basic commercial game. Also do you think they should make Makers for different types of game genre for these new consoles such as Xbox 360, Wii, or PS#. Do you think there should be more steady flow of Maker games out there.
Well I'll just say that commercial games aren't always better than indie games(in terms of enjoyment), they just have more resources/a company behind them. I also don't see a need for makers on current gen systems, that's what dev kits are for.
But yeah, I would pay some money for a good indie game, as long as it's original content and $5.
See topic: Zero to Sixty - Musings on the Cancers Besetting Amateur RPGs and Thoughts About Potential Cures by shadowtext
Also see: Aveyond.

Makes me wonder, sometimes, what we're missing.
I think people seriously overrate commercial games.

The problem with RM games, though, is the lack of ease of customizability. You're stuck with the same character and tile dimensions (can VX scripting change this?) and the same character layouts, etc, so nothing really seems new.
I only play rpg's, so I don't really care if there is any other type of game maker out there, I think it's possible to make a game with RM that can even surpass most commercial rpg's ( and your talking to a guy that has played, beaten , and can recite, damn near every single rpg ever made!) The problem is people do not take the time to make there games as good. It's not enough to have good graphics, an okay story, that kinda brings you in but not really. It's not enough to spend days on your computer making the best area's or battles... For the answer we have to go back... I'm talking waaaaayyy back to a time when we wrote thing's on paper!!!
You have to create your story on paper, you have to have used some form of drugs(Hey, I don't care what anybody says it expands your mind to things straight people could Never ever come up with)And you also have to have sheer minded determination!!! You have to be a little off your rocker as well. I don't know if you have ever seen Hironobu Sakaguchi (the creator of Final Fantasy) Dude is a little crazy.
I don't think so. I think the only game i have seen that could be as good as a commercial game is "the way" series. I was having a look at the official website of that game the other day and noticed that you can buy official merchandise such as T-shirts, guide books etc for around $30.
author=Jabbo link=topic=1437.msg22506#msg22506 date=1214876362
You're stuck with the same character and tile dimensions (can VX scripting change this?)

Very much so, question is when are people going to get off their asses and stop using RTP and start making original graphics? Heck you'd think XP users would apply this! Nope they're using RTP that looks worse than rm2k/3's.

However I've recently been using RPG Maker VX after I fully realized that it is the way to go for maxing out originality in original graphics. It's hard to say while playing an rm2k/3 game "Hey these are some interesting graphics!" while the menu layout, title layout, battle layout, and even object proportions are exactly the same as the thousands of other rm2k/3 games scattered around. Of course you can modify SOME of those, with alot of deep thought and work but it is A LOT harder than copy pasting a script and changing some variables around to your liking.

I think the only game i have seen that could be as good as a commercial game is "the way" series. I was having a look at the official website of that game the other day and noticed that you can buy official merchandise such as T-shirts, guide books etc for around $30.

Er pretty sure it's just one of those sites where they paste images you made on their own products and you get a small percentage of the profit (I'd check but my google's been fucking up lately). And besides, what does having a bunch of products on display have to do with whether or not an indie game is going to be successful or not? Maybe people would just like a new T-shirt!

Aveyond

I hear this game was mentioned alot in discussions like this. Yet I never really understood what this game was. All I know is that you could buy it or something. Care to elaborate?
author=Darken link=topic=1437.msg22534#msg22534 date=1214915135
I hear this game was mentioned alot in discussions like this. Yet I never really understood what this game was. All I know is that you could buy it or something. Care to elaborate?

It is the premier commercial indie RPG made with RPG Maker XP. It is generally regarded as a decent but unexceptional RPG and most people think that it is priced a little steeply for what it is ($20). However, Amanda is able to make a living making games, so whatever you think about her work you should probably be happy for her!
Note that Aveyond is only really considered unexceptional within the RM* community. Outside of our communities, people really seem to love it. So yeah, take that for what you will.
Demon Destiny, I'm sorry, but your wrong. I just got done play the way Ep1, and While I will say the intro was ok, The game just get's weaker and weaker as you go along.
author=sabbath link=topic=1437.msg22576#msg22576 date=1214967460
Demon Destiny, I'm sorry, but your wrong. I just got done play the way Ep1, and While I will say the intro was ok, The game just get's weaker and weaker as you go along.

You haven't even gotten past the first episode and you act like you just described all of it.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Yeah, really. I'll be the first one to admit that The Way's first episode is pretty awful. I've heard a pretty good argument as to why it had to be that way, but it seriously deterred me from playing the rest of it.

As for the rest of the series, I can't say what it's like as I've never played. But there are people who will defend it to the death, so it can't be all that bad. One of these days I'll have to just play the rest of it and see what it's like (although I've heard it described as a dark series before, and I don't usually like those...).
Killing pokemon sounds pretty dark to me.

No, i don't like the game at all. The storyline, gameplay just never got me into it. I stopped playing it at episode 3. But it's one of those games that can rival up to some commercial games.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
I thought that you couldn't make a profit out of anything made with RPG Maker, doesn't everything amde with RPG Maker have to be freeware because doesn't the license agreement with RPG Maker state you can't use the games on their maker for money or profit?
author=demondestiny link=topic=1437.msg22637#msg22637 date=1215006171

No, i don't like the game at all. The storyline, gameplay just never got me into it. I stopped playing it at episode 3. But it's one of those games that can rival up to some commercial games.

That's where it starts getting good!
Alright, I'm one of those people who'll defend the series. But I always thought it went from 'good' to 'amazing' during Episode 3, when everything gets more suspenseful and starts making more sense.

Anyway, it always seemed to me that people from outside the community seriously overrate RM games. Look at Laxius Power. The series is mediocre at best with the exception of the third game, which was good, actually. However, it has a lot of fans. Look at it's message board for proof. If it was legal and he was able to, the author of those games could probably make a lot of money.
author=NoblemanNick link=topic=1437.msg22639#msg22639 date=1215006671
I thought that you couldn't make a profit out of anything made with RPG Maker, doesn't everything amde with RPG Maker have to be freeware because doesn't the license agreement with RPG Maker state you can't use the games on their maker for money or profit?
I just looked at the official VX page the other day to see what it had to offer, and explicitly stated is that you CAN make money off games you make.

Also, about the Way, if you don't like the gameplay, then you shouldn't play it at all. The whole "I must find every item or I'll leave it behind" mentality actually goes along pretty well with the rest of the game, so if you don't like that, then it's not your game.
As Jabbo said, as long as you have LEGALLY PURCHASED the maker (e.g. not rm2k/3) you can legitimately make and sell a game, as Amanda did. And presumedly make a lot of money too.
I would buy The Way, well when it first came out. There have been games in this community that a worth their weight in gold, however the main problem is completion for me. I know when I first play Velsabor, I was like.... :o. The thing about RM games and indie games in general are that they produce new worlds, new ideas, new characters, things that Commercial Games lack. In this current time, I would rather play an Indie RPG over any commercial RPG (minus The World Ends w/ You), I like original things, and I if a game like Balmung had complete Custom Graphics, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Tryth be told even possess ripped graphics, the game reminds me of a PSX RPG, it story, dialog, script, it is something I am intrigued by, something I have not seen in a while, since I played Lost Odyssey.
Pages: first 12 next last