RPG MAKER GAMES V.S COMMERCIAL GAMES

Pages: first prev 12 last
All I have to say is if you want to go commercial you better not half ass.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
If I ever attempted a commercial Rpgmaker game I wouldn't charge much for it, like 5 bucks at the most. Of course I'd do it all my self so only time would be wasted instead of paying others to do some stuff for me.

The next Rpgmaker will be compatible with Xbox 360 umm XNA or whatever so It's not to far a stretch to think Rpgmaker games could compete with XBLA games.
Charging more money for a game means a higher budget. Higher budgets can translate directly to better resources or more free time. I don't think I'd pay much for most games made in the community, but if you can find a way to charge more and actually sell the thing, I say go for it.
OK fine, I will download the rest of the way ep's. but if the first one is lame I don't see how the other one's can be better, it's like whoever made the game had sequel in his mind before he even finished the first one, and it shows. But like I said I will download the rest and tell you what I think.
The Way is a single game broken up into 6 parts, not 6 separate games.

I think the best setup for commercial indie game development is a small team of 2 or 3 people. That way you can have one to two programmers and an artist. One person is bound to be good at music, and one person is the guy who decides what the game is going to be. In my experience, everything is better when one guy is calling all the shots. And with a small team it's easy to just divide up the profits.

Next point: The artist's dilemma is really prevalent for commercial games. A businessman wants to sell you his product, and if you don't pay, he doesn't give it to you. Nice and neat. An artist also wants to sell you his product. If you'll buy it, he's happy. But if you aren't willing to pay... well the artist still wants to get his name out there and wants fans. So the second best situation for the artist is that you steal his product. Not nice and neat.
The Way really is awesome, I don't know how you're going to this 'Epic Game' of yours if you don't even acknowledge that it's at least decent (I'm serious). I understand many people had problems with episode 1, but ended up liking the rest of the game. Personally I had a rocky start ep1 but decided to replay it and ended it up finishing the entire game in 2 days (and by what I mean game, I mean The Way series, just like jabbo said). It really is a fun game, and the story really is a stroke of genius.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I couldn't get through episode 3 so.. Meh. It was fun while it lasted. 8)
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
Master of the Wind with all the Arcs put to together would sell well in my opinion it's well-made and I think it has a certain charm to it. I've never played "The Way" before but I've heard of it. If A Blurred Line came bundled together with Line's End I think I would buy that also. Enterbrain should get like some of the great RPG maker games pay money to the creators and bundle them up into one big game.
To bad that nearly all of our rpgmaker 2000 and 2003 games were created from a pirated version of their software. I don't see getting paid for that.
lol Right.

I don't see myself buying any RPGM game. It's not that they're bad, because most of them are really fun to play actually...I just don't have any extra cash!
I'm a hardcore fan of CRPG and i think there are a lot of rpgmaker games better than comercial ones.

In terms of history, at least in spanish scene, there are games like YSNE, Dhux and The Observer that have better storyline that a lot of comercial games.

In terms of gameplay, the thing its different. Most of the rpgmaker games are for storytelling and dont complain so much for the gameplay. But nowadays, any commercial game is for playing? if all of they are movies!. The difference is that they have a great team and can do the "generic" gameplay system with the custimotzation of the moment, but nothing like FFV, FFVII, SMT, SaGa, etc...

A lot of times i think that this "generic gameplay" is worse thant straightlevel up types. There aren't real strategy, the options only exisists to make the movie more interesting and make the history most assorted. Nothing more... too bad.

And thinking that you pay 60€ for a commercial game. Lol... play rpgmaker games, its better, and if the game is more direct with the gameplay, can be more fun. Like Dragon Fantasy, for example.

Also i think we can do a game that beat all of the commercial. The average rpg history its a piece of crap, really. The average gameplay, also. Now i'm making a game that its like FFV in some strategic terms. History i think its pretty good, i have making it for 8 years, and i'm writting all the game before starting . And im making totally original graphics. It's sure it can't beat Unlimited Saga(i leave this for my next project without rpgmaker), but it have some original things in gameplay that make it special.

In my experience, Making games=Playing games(a lot of them!!). If you play for the average history, view average manga/anime without complaining of the gameplay, your rpgmaker games will be very bad. More culture= Better history. And only if you are a real gamer, playing for challenge and strategy, you would make good gameplay.

This is what Brian Moriarty, creator of Loom and other great adventures, like Trinity of Wishbringer, says about it:

BM:Believe it or not, most of humanity's greatest ideas and stories are NOT available on DVD. It is very, very important that you turn off the game console and TV set every now and then and READ SOME BOOKS. Start with the great Homeric epics, learn about Beowulf and Gilgamesh, and study at least the greatest of Shakespeare's plays. Don't rely on Star Wars or The Matrix for your cultural education -- go to the original sources on which they're based.

Learn about subjects other than programming, such as science, mathematics, linguistics and history. Explore many kinds of music, dance, theater and other fine arts.

Find out why the Beatles are the greatest band ever. Don't waste too much time blogging, messaging or playing MMORPGs. Every hour you spend on your cultural education will pay real dividends when it comes time to create new stories and games.

Another important piece of advice: Design documents are your friends. You should not hire a single artist or musician, or invest ONE DIME on production until you have a written specification for your game that is so utterly comprehensive, so thoroughly detailed, the game could be successfully completed by total strangers if you dropped dead tomorrow.

Some designers are afraid that they will "lose control" somehow by committing themselves too much in advance. Nothing could be further from the truth. A complete design document is liberating! It is a contract between you, your production team and the money people, stating the MINIMUM amount of work it will take to make a fun, shippable product. It gives your investors confidence that you know what you're doing, and provides producers with the information they need to make schedules and allocate resources wisely. This leaves you the latitude YOU need to notice new opportunities, refine your ideas and IMPROVISE during development. Improvisation and experimentation are the really fun parts of making art. But you can't improvise freely if you're fixing basic design problems and deciding major story issues in the middle of production!

Always, always do the heavy lifting up front. I learned this the hard way.

I think the same.
I don't know why everyone hated the first Episode of The Way, it wasn't that bad. The only one I actually hated was Episode 6. I've played through it twice and I still didn't get what was going on.

Despite that, I could see it being made into a console game.
Ok, ok I finished all 6 eps of the way, and I will say it was well put together> I did not understand that it wasn't 6 different games it was all the same just broken down. I do apologize for wrongly criticising the game. Now that I have played all the eps (which again I thought it was 6 different games) I will also say Ep 1 is now one of my fav one's. I liked 3 and 4 the best. Again I apologize to the creator as well as the hardcore fan base the game obviously has! I still don't think it's worthy of my money, but I did enjoy it alot more then I thought I was going to.
Pages: first prev 12 last