COMMERCIAL GAME MUSIC: WHAT TO UNOT TO USE

Pages: first 12 next last
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
At one point or another most developers here have made at least one game with music blatantly stolen from commercial games. The Final Fantasies and the like.

There are a few reasons for this. For one not everyone has a talent for music or knows how to compose their own tracts. It’s cheaper and easier just to take music we know is good from an established source than throwing $50 for someone to write unique music for a game that’s only going to be laded by a few hundred people anyway. And there are memories and feelings one has from tracks that have left an impact on one during the game they played and they want to impart those same feelings for the audience of their games.

The point is developers like us have, and will continue, to use music from commercial games. And I don’t think any of us really have a problem with that.
But I’ve noticed lately there seems to be a consciences forming amongst the developers here that there are tracts from certain games that should really be best avoided. Not because these tracts are bad, but people keep using them in there projects. Hell how many games have have you payed that don’t have Melody of Green or some other song from Chrono Trigger?

Now I know we could just have a blanket statement saying “Don’t use music from popular games”, but there are popular games whose soundtracks aren’t used as often and could get away with being in RPG maker game. And then there are some ‘less popular’ games that have very distinctive soundtracks and using them can pull the player out of the game just as much as using One Wing Angel could.

And I’m not saying we shouldn’t use music from those games ever at all. But we should think carefully before having the battle theme from Luffia 2 is really a good idea.

So, developers, what game soundtracks do you think we should probably avoid and are there any you think people could probably use more often and still get away with it?

I’m going to start a small list of games I believe to consensus says we should avoid. As well as some games you might be able to use because the games are less well known, but due to having very memorable soundtracks may still have some issues.

Regardless feel free to debate and pick apart my decisions and have your say on what games to use and just how wrong I am and how much I suck. Not just for you but for the betterment of RPGM developers everywhere... And pandas.

Should avoid
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 7
Final Fantasy 8
Link to the Past

Not sure about
Xenogears
Xenoblade
Chrono Cross
Luffia 2
Secret of Mana
pretty much everything in your 'not sure about' column can be shunted to 'avoid', honestly. xenoblade and chrono cross in particular are famous for their soundtracks, and secret of mana's is pretty characteristic.

as for stuff you can probably get away with... well, if I mentioned it here it'd quickly be overused, wouldn't it? khahaha! all I'll say, though, is that it's silly to just be looking at RPGs and things similar to RPGs for your kleptomagnum opus. a good thief is inventive! a good thief is perceptive! a good thief goes where other people might not think to look! and a good thief has more than two eyes, pointed out in all directions.

honestly, it might be simpler and more effective to just learn musical composition and live an honest life! khahaha!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Or take advantage of the many free music resources already available on the net, if you're hopeless at composition. Especially if you're looking for traditional vidya gaem style music, there's a jillion composers around offering their stuff for no charge other than a mention in the credits.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
http://www.nosoapradio.us/ (buncha free-to-use music)

The other thing I used to love doing was taking midi versions of rock songs and changing up the instruments.

I wouldn't recommend delving into composition only because of how time-consuming it can be to learn and master, but if you're into that sorta thing, go for it!
author=slashphoenix
I wouldn't recommend delving into composition only because of how time-consuming it can be to learn and master...

Urgh, tell me about it.
I wish I knew this 2 years ago.
My personal strategy is to draw from "obscure" stuff that people aren't likely to have heard. I have a few big leaguers mixed in, but it's mostly stuff from post-16 bit era fan-translated RPGs, arcade games that weren't in every arcade, niche games, and games on scarcely played consoles. I even have some PC-98 music in my current project. Nobody in the English-speaking world's heard this shit.
Nobody.

author=Sooz
Especially if you're looking for traditional vidya gaem style music, there's a jillion composers around offering their stuff for no charge other than a mention in the credits.

The problem with this option is that not all of these jillion composers are good, and even the good ones may have trouble creating that empathic feel you're after.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
May or may not be useful to any of you, but piece of music, literature, graphic art, or anything that can be described as an intellectual property, that was created in 1926 or earlier cannot be copyrighted. If you don't want to take from other games for fear of overuse, or a C and D letter (and let's face it, when we distribute our work to the public, that threat becomes real), then finding old, obscure music, (not everything that was written has a distinctive 'bygone era' sound) may be a possible solution.
pianotm
At the very least, I've been considering borrowing from Dvorak and Rachmaninoff, and for a barroom map, I have already straight lifted "The Maple Leaf Rag" by Joplin.
pianotm
A note about music composition (my very profession being involved in music): If you're trying to make something that has artistic meaning, then yes; you're going to spend a ton of time in composition. However, you're making a video game, and while a few of the themes of any good game should be artistically meaningful, most of what you're composing is just there to fill in the blank spaces.

Right now, with my first project, I am just using the RM2k3 selection of music and then replacing it as I compose something I like. However, I have a scene in which my characters are in jail, whiling away the time. I found absolutely nothing even remotely suitable as a substitute for what I wanted the scene to convey, so I sat down to my keyboard and wrote a short piano piece. It took less than five minutes and barely took a page on the scorewriting software. The piece was perfect. It conveyed the passage of time, was unobtrusive enough to be completely forgettable and it added depth to the scene. It's one of those kinds of pieces that without knowing what it goes to, you can just tell what's going on. This is somebody sitting in a jail cell or a doctor's office waiting for bad news, just trying not to loose his or her mind to boredom.

The point is, musical talent isn't hard to come by. There are a number of things you can do while mostly not having to worry about ripping from another game, or hiring someone. Once you get into your main themes, if you don't have a lot of experience composing music, then by all means, don't rely on your experience (though if you make the attempt, you might be surprised at what you can do). By all means, find a big dramatic score that somebody else has done (Wagner composed a lot of scores that would go good in a lot of RPGs I've played. If it Steven Speilberg hadn't introduced George Lucas to John Williams, the score to Star Wars would have been composed by the aforementioned Dvorak and Rachmaninoff...don't take the old timers lightly. They wrote stuff that would be fantastic in some RPGs).

For those of you who insist you are hopeless at musical composition:

Have you ever heard of twelve point? It's an American style of 20th century music composition that, for very good reason, is extremely unpopular. Here's how it works. There 12 notes to an octave; 8 naturals and 5 halves. These are noted as, A, A #, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#. The composer, puts these notes on a their own little pieces of paper and writes his melody line as follows: Pull one note out of the hat, that's the first note in my melody, second note pulled is the second one in my melody. They do not repeat notes until they run out, and they compose the entire score using this method.

Obviously, the effect is utter chaos that assaults the senses from every direction, but for the composer looking for inspiration, this chaos may be just what the doctor ordered. Go ahead and use this this system of random note entry (go ahead and reuse notes. No need to be as strict as the twelve point purist). Sooner or later, you're going to come across an unique melody that speaks to your senses, that informs the feel you are trying to convey in your project, and would be perfect to write a song around, or a score, or even a full theme. Those of you who fear composition, give this a shot, if you're willing (Of course, those who resist the idea that they could ever compose a song, I completely understand if you choose not to.). NOOBs can do some amazing things...especially when they haven't learned that they can't do it.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
When faced with a lack of music, there is a free RMN Music Pack out there that, as far as I know, doesn't see as much use as commercial rips due. On top of that, several users have entire music packs that they allow for use with non-commercial projects, and I don't think they see that much use either:

Aaron Krogh: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/11322/
Scythuz: http://rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/13805/ (User allows the use of music for commercial projects)

Some of the music even meets or beats the music that people take from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. Personally, I prefer to use other user's music before taking things from commercial games, since it voids any fears of legal issues, and generally supports the community more.
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
oh shit!!!!!! WRONG TOPIC!!"!!!!!!
@pianotm: Edit your previous posts instead of triple or double posting, please. It's a site rule and one everyone follows. Just remember it from here on, okay? ^.^

Another source of music, if you do want to use a particular tune and it fits exactly into your game, is remixes. Granted, not every song has a remix, but quite a few from well-known games do.

Personally I use a bit of everything. If I know the game I'm creating isn't going to be commercial, and if a piece fits a scene exactly, I'll use it... unless it's super known. I steer away from Final Fantasy music for this reason - it's too tied with certain areas and scenes and takes away the immersion of your own game.

That said, I do use some game music, but if a midi of a super popular game is in the music folder of one of my games, it's more likely that I used it as inspiration - listening to it while doing mapping or databasing (though nowdays I use the music of that area for mapping. It makes it feel more connected.)

No matter what music you use, though, always give credit.
pianotm
Oh, sorry. O:^)
pianotm
Oh, sorry. O:^)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
While working on a fantasy game set in a prison, I successfully stole like ten different songs from an unheard-of scifi strategy game made for Windows 3.1. It was a good way to get obscure music that fit the mood really well (and also it was surprisingly good music). If you are looking into older games but want music that isn't 8-bit midi, PC games or amateur remixes are the way to go.

If you use music from games people have even heard of, be prepared for it to be disliked. Though I understand it's far less effort to use music you know about than to find music no one's ever heard of. My first two games were totally filled with music from popular games. I understand doing it, but it's considered really, uh, rpgmakery I guess. In a bad way.
Well it's not really rpgmakery (a lot of others do it too). It's more like people tend to have certain emotional/nostalgic attachments to music used in popular games. So if another game uses it, it's a wtf. Stop using that you don't deserve it. Or they would think of that game instead of your game.
The best thing is to just buckle down and look elsewhere outside the box for a change. There are plenty of various music sites and various different types of musical genres that I’m pretty sure would be a great addition to your game. The problem about using a lot of familiar musical scores, like from the Final Fantasies and the Chronos, is that too people around here instantly know those types of songs off by heart and memories of playing those beloved classics suddenly start flooding back whenever they hear it. Some people may find it a bit of a turn off, but I don’t really care so much if it’s your first game or it works in that particular situation. I dunno, I’m guess I’m not as picky. But the other reason is it just showcases laziness from the creator's part and really doesn’t make your game stand out in a unique sort of way if you’re using the Lufia 2 battle theme to go along with the Chrono Cross world map theme.

But the best thing to do is to just look outside the box. There are a lot of great, unnoticeable songs and artists out there that would definitely put your game ahead of its class, whether it be from indie artists or not. Just make sure you credit the artist and everything is a-okay!
May I suggest a source? I got most of Enelysion's music from this site:

http://www.jamendo.com/en/

Have fun. There are 500,000 tracks there, covering every single genre known to man. And they're royalty free.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
It's more like people tend to have certain emotional/nostalgic attachments to music used in popular games. So if another game uses it, it's a wtf. Stop using that you don't deserve it. Or they would think of that game instead of your game.

^Yeah, that.

Also, "this is familiar. Where have I heard it before" breaks the immersion.
Pages: first 12 next last