POKE-TALK #1 (R/B/Y)

Pages: first 12 next last
..::Pokemon::..

One of the most popular Games/Rpg's of its time and todays day&age.
For some its were they started the gaming world(like me ;D) and for others its a classic game thats fun almost every time you play.

So Lets take a sec to talk about three of them.
Pokemon
Red / Blue / Yellow
This won't be RBY talk, but I wish Nintendo would shake up their formula. Instead of starting in Town X in some corner where you can choose from one of three Pokemon, a Fire, Water, and Grass type that you'll never see in the wild. The first thing you'll see is a normal type, or a normal/flying type. It takes several badges before you finally have some real variety to your team (if ever, in D/P there was a grand total of two fire types and one was the starter that you'll never see again). How long does it take to get some Ice types?

The series is an incredible railroad. Sure there looks like there's a lot of ways to go but you're always being forced into a particular path (with a few minor side paths) because of stupid obstacles that you can only overcome via HM moves. Moves that mostly suck (Surf being the major exception, Waterfall isn't too bad either) and eat up your precious 4 moves per creature. HM Slaves aren't uncommon and they restrict your party: One guy is just there to deal with the bloody obstacles like stupid plants.

I think the best solution to both problems would be to make the area a non-linear style game. You start in your home town, get a wide selection of pokemon (of most/all types), maybe have it have high/max IVs to improve your 'starter', and get pushed out the door. Then you have not one, but several places to go. You could go to the Forest and find the bug/plant/flying/poison/normal types, cave for ground/rock/fire/ice/normal/notZubatorGeodude, or some other areas. Areas could be handled by having a range of leveled pokemon: Lets say Area D has level 10-25, and they levels that show up would be within 4 levels of your party's average level. It can be a place to grind for a while and not be a regular steamroll after a couple levels but it still has a cap. Gyms could work on a similar level: When you arrive at a gym all the trainers+leader have a level relative to yours so you can tackle the gyms in any order. Things like Team Rocket could be a huge sidequest.

Really, most of it is to do two things:
- Make the game less of a train ride
- Add a lot more replayability

Multiple saves would be nice too :(

And the Battle Tower is fucking cheating bastard. It can go and jump in a fire and burn to death.
Why not talk about the pokemon series in general? Seriously they're just the same game with a different story/evil team and a couple of new pokemon added. Having said that I was fond of pokemon as a kid, got Red version, then got gold (because all the cool kids got blue and silver). Gold probably being the best in the series (the last quart of the game practically has RBY attached to it for nostalgic moments). Then after that it didn't seem to hit me. Ruby/Sapphire felt washed up on the shore and D/P was just milking it.

I was hoping that D/P would really change things because of online support, 3D graphics, touch screen stuff, etc. But gamefreak didn't try to risk anything, they just simply did what you'd expect, no surprises, nothing extremely new. Me being older, made it easier for me to realize how broken and easy this game really was. If you focus leveling one pokemon, you will NOT ever be screwed. Even if you run into a gym with an advantage over your solo pokemon's type, your overleveled pokemon will always have at least ONE move thats good against it's enemy weakness. I actually beat the entire elite four with a single Staraptor spamming the same move over and over, first try and no mystery.

And there's another thing, exploiting the type advantages is really easy to do. If you select a medium powered attack that has a type that's good against the enemy pokemon, chances are, you're going to one hit it. Another point pops up, the competitive online battles is basically two people, with a bunch of overbuffed up pokemon, 1 hit KOing each other, along with a backup pokemon with overbuffed defence to 'stall'. Granted, it has some strategy to it, but when you look at it critically it just turns out to be a really blown up Rock Paper Scissor with weird exception rules.

I really don't know where they're going with this. Have you noticed how the latest pokemon designs look plain stupid? Did anyone even take that beaver pokemon(bidoof) seriously? Heck the starter pokemon for D/P and RSE are pathetic compared to the RBY+GSC starters. But we all know Nintendo's going to milk it til the cow knockers run dry. The only thing that's really keeping me from hating RSY/GSC is probably because of pure nostalgia.

edit: Glad I'm not alone with this tl:dr post
I loved blue, because I had my team of awesome pokemon and destroyed everything. Well, actually, the first time I beat the game I did it with just a Charizard. And when my rival whipped out his Blastoise at the end and my Charizard finally met its match, I taught it Fissure, the one-hit KO move. And beat the game.

Pokemon is awesome though for competitive battling. For those who aren't in the know, there is a ridiculous amount of strategy as well as under-the-hood mechanics that goes into how everything breaks down. So picking out your team and teaching them the proper moves so that when your opponent brings out a pokemon with a type advantage, you have the right move to take them down. Then there's the whole Sweeper/Tank/something else setup. Basically if you're looking into competitive strategic RPG battling, you should look into some of the websites they have out for that. I never really got into it myself for fear of addiction, but yeah.
Let's just stick to the topic and discuss RBY. These games were pretty awesome to play and i would have been in school when i played these, used to trade pokemon and such to friends at lunchtime. I liked these the most as they pretty much started up the whole pokemon mania and ruined our lives forever. :P

author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1452.msg22748#msg22748 date=1215056386
And the Battle Tower is fucking cheating bastard. It can go and jump in a fire and burn to death.

haha, i found the battle tower fun although it did piss me off at times.
I'm 100% with Darken here. I never played GSC or RSE and I was still dissapointed in DP. It doesn't feel like something that I'd expect to be the 4th iteration in the series. A friend owned G/S and some of the stuff I heard about it was awesome, especially the post-E4.

The Pokemon XD for Gamecube was fun for being different. There's a wide variety of pokemon that you can use at the start and your 'starter' can be one of six different types (one does suck though). There's no HM Slave garbage either.

Also the new legendaries suck. The Legendary Birds/Dogs are far cooler than those hideious Uxie/whatever things from DP.

(There's probably a lot more, I just don't remember it all yet)

*edit

To say one good thing, wireless! Global trading! Yay! The GTS is a pile of ass though.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1452.msg22756#msg22756 date=1215059691
The Pokemon XD for Gamecube was fun for being different. There's a wide variety of pokemon that you can use at the start and your 'starter' can be one of six different types (one does suck though). There's no HM Slave garbage either.

Yeah, i found XD to be great mainly because it was different. Did you collect all the shadow pokemon? and if so did you purify them. I never got a chance to collect them all but my friend did and he purified every single one.
I never beat the game. I lost my save data around Citedark Isle and I haven't had the heart to start another game. :(

I caught most of the shadow pokemon available and purified most, but I know I missed some. Thankfully Miror B has any shadows that you missed so its not really that bad if you KO one instead of catching it.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1452.msg22748#msg22748 date=1215056386
The series is an incredible railroad. Sure there looks like there's a lot of ways to go but you're always being forced into a particular path (with a few minor side paths) because of stupid obstacles that you can only overcome via HM moves. Moves that mostly suck (Surf being the major exception, Waterfall isn't too bad either) and eat up your precious 4 moves per creature. HM Slaves aren't uncommon and they restrict your party: One guy is just there to deal with the bloody obstacles like stupid plants.

I think the best solution to both problems would be to make the area a non-linear style game. You start in your home town, get a wide selection of pokemon (of most/all types), maybe have it have high/max IVs to improve your 'starter', and get pushed out the door. Then you have not one, but several places to go. You could go to the Forest and find the bug/plant/flying/poison/normal types, cave for ground/rock/fire/ice/normal/notZubatorGeodude, or some other areas. Areas could be handled by having a range of leveled pokemon: Lets say Area D has level 10-25, and they levels that show up would be within 4 levels of your party's average level. It can be a place to grind for a while and not be a regular steamroll after a couple levels but it still has a cap. Gyms could work on a similar level: When you arrive at a gym all the trainers+leader have a level relative to yours so you can tackle the gyms in any order. Things like Team Rocket could be a huge sidequest.

Multiple saves would be nice too :(

Yeah, i didnt like that it forces you to go to certain towns in order, i think i remember in the TV show there was a trainer who had like 5 other badges, that would be cool if there was like 10 or 15 gym and you got to choice which 8 to go to, the the gyms were harder based on how many badges you have,(be easy for RPGmaker)

and yeah multiple saves would be cool, i hate it when i have a uber file but want to play again from the beginning, its either destroy your file or dont save on the new one.

Still one of my fav's though
Pokemon Gold and Silver were definitely the best in the series. My friend got it in Japanese when it first came out, and every once in a while I'd check in to see where he was in the game.

All the other Pokemon games that came after it were nowhere near as good. Diamond and Pearl, which I haven't finished yet, recaptures a bit of the Gold/Silver magic but most of the new Pokemon aren't terribly interesting. I mean, Torterra and Lucario are alright, but they don't hold a candle to Bayleef, Tyranitar, Ariados, Lugia, etc., etc. The Gold/Silver Pokemon weren't all useful, but at least they were distinctive.

Can't say much about Red or Blue.

*runs a small little D/P wifi community*
>.>
<.<

Anyway, I don't think there's much to say about only the first gen.
RBY was good. GSC was amazing, for some reason. RSE was pathetic. DPP... A little bit of both.
However, just for the wifi battling/trading, I'd stick with DPP. I've got about 350 hours racked up on it as is from such things. Jabbo's probably smart to avoid it to not get addicted. >.<

...I had more to say, but I can't find it...
I am so for GreatRedSpirit's ideas.

Alas, I am one of the kids who also loved the Red/Yellow version of Pokemon (the reason I didn't like blue is because I loved Charizard so much, and thought that Blastoise was a bastard from hell :-X)

Seriously. Fire. Water. Grass.
Then it was Fire. Water. Grass.
And finally Fire. Water. Grass.

I could go for some Fighting Bug Psychic cycles or something, or hell, do what GRS said and have a wide variety of different types of basic pokemon. And then whatever ones you DIDN'T chose did NOT become extinct, or have its nest unknown or whatever.

I really hated that when I picked Charmeleon, I would never see Bulbasaur ever again unless I started a new game. And that was just plain gay.
But yeah... the only true problem I had was that Red has its own unknown pokemon and blue had its own, leaving you an incomplete and frustrating pokedex unless you trade.
(the reason I didn't like blue is because I loved Charizard so much, and thought that Blastoise was a bastard from hell )

Blastoise is a turtle with rocket launchers coming out of his back. I rest my case.
Odd but true fact - I was the first person in the UK to own a copy of Yellow - a full year before the official release, by pure fluke. I am however going to go with Blue as my fave (till Crystal came along!) it had a nice balance of in-game pokemon.

Have you noticed how the balance for pokemon in the later games seems to have gone a tad wrong? Look at Pearl for example, only two fire pokemon to choose from till after the elite four, and one of those is a starter.
author=mantlecore77 link=topic=1452.msg22880#msg22880 date=1215199330
I really hated that when I picked Charmeleon, I would never see Bulbasaur ever again unless I started a new game. And that was just plain gay.

I thought that you could find Bulbasaur in the wild?

author=Enker link=topic=1452.msg22887#msg22887 date=1215203575
Odd but true fact - I was the first person in the UK to own a copy of Yellow - a full year before the official release, by pure fluke.

That is awesome Enker. :)
Pokemon as a whole has been a bit of an up and down roller coaster. I own Blue Red Yellow Gold&Silver Pearl FireRed in that order. Totally skipped over emerald and such, those games looked to complicated and didn't have the money at the time. Anyway, i personally think that the Pokemon looks started going downhill after blue ect. Gold&Silver did have some good Pokemon while others looked wack. Then the following series they got weirder and weirder, wich lead me to believe a rumor i had heard long long ago.(The rumor being that 2 men originaly worked on the pokemon idea together, then called pocket monsters but 1 of them stole the idea and left the other out, rumors with it like Pikachu was originally suppose to be green. Which would explain why they look less and less like the originals.)

However not to say Gold&Silver wern't good games, they were a lot of fun, till the save ability died.
However My all time favorite has to be blue, the first one I managed to get. My first 3 Pokemon were Squirtle, Pidgey and Mew(thats right LEGIT, at that time it started at lvl 5 if i remember right, got pound transform, mega kick i think it was first) i got my game at a Pokemon event in my area and stood in the line about 3 times to get more then 1 mew as well.(Long ass wait....) Later on I got red as well and simpled restarted it a few times so i had all 3 starters on both games(take that yellow :-P) Back in those days it was simply 150(or in my case 151) and a possible but hard goal, then they added more and more, still you figured hey i might be able to pull this off, come diamond and pearl if you no life the game you just might pull it off, but give them time and they'll add more...

Now I'm all for variety, but I'll be honest if it keeps going I'm gonna lose interest real quick, who in their right mind wants to gather 500+ Pokemon when you can only use 6?... They need to stop adding creatures and start adding content in my opinion. Great example is the show, gray had something like 10 badges i think when he got to Viridian. I gotta agree with the more gyms thing, and adding ground or fighting isn't enough to change the fire,water,grass thing (thou i do like the penguin and turtle Pokemon :-D) They've been remaking the game over and over, and firered/leafgreen's outright so.

The limited skill thing is also annoying 4 only, however the ability thing they added since red blue has altered that a bit almost like a 5th skill. They should either allow more abilities or change HMs a bit, as said before surf is one of the few HMs thats actually good(thou fly can be just as good if used right) Personally I don't see 'surf' as something a Pokemon would need to know, if you got a Lapras your the one that needs to know how to hang on to it. Its a water type it knows how to swim... More like your trainer should be taught how to ride Pokemon as you beat gym trainers, greater riding ability would be swimming, flying, hell ride a Rapadash instead of a bike even. A Scyther would know how to slice branches just change it so a badge would make the Pokemon obey such an absurd order. Charazard knock down that tree! They're easy way to fix this but they just keep using the same method. I'd think they're main reason is to keep it simple for the younger generation. If you started complicating it too much the young ones would probably start complaining that its too hard.

However Diamond and Pearl have improved some things, faster and slower bikes, non-Pokemon related obstacles(ramps), the wifi trading(wich is far from perfected but a massive step in the right direction. The ability to reteach forgotten moves(fairly certain on this with the heartscale thing) multi speed bike shoes ect(while I'm sure that the shoes are from prior games still a good improvement.) Faster egg hatching, easier raising methods(exp share, lucky egg) Even the ability to EV train your Pokemon faster with times. Also the ability to simply transfer Pokemon from other games directly to Diamond and Pearl and re-catch them. Their are some flaws and downs theirs also a lot of ups. I just hope they get rid of more HMs, possibly add more ability options, 2 more slots would make a massive difference, and taking out the 1hit KO that many of you have mentioned would give it a better feel, its rare that you get a slug fest between your Pokemon and another and its usually against another player.
Starters are never in the wild, Demon.

who in their right mind wants to gather 500+
*sheepishly*
....I'm on 393/493.... I'll get the others yet.
author=demondestiny link=topic=1452.msg22903#msg22903 date=1215225108
author=mantlecore77 link=topic=1452.msg22880#msg22880 date=1215199330

I thought that you could find Bulbasaur in the wild?

Not in Red Version. Or Squirtle for that matter. But you saw him when Gary fought you.

Gary. Haha, Gary.
Pages: first 12 next last