WHAT WOULD BE AN APPROPRIATE AMOUNT TO PAY FOR GRAPHICS

Pages: 1
I'm bored. So I map. Just map. Keep mapping. Trouble is, I've made a lot of caves. So I was wondering what would be an appropriate amount to pay for a cave tileset. A unique cave tileset that chances are would never actually be released. Just a cave at least for now. Rounded walls, different layers of walls, floor tiles, water tiles, animated water fall tiles, swamp tiles, details like plants, divits in the ground, holes, stuff like that. I'd probably ask for other types of walls, such as the default RPG Maker VX Ace walls are all flat, it looks like I'm looking at a rectangle. I'd probably want variety, like squiggly lines or something.

There are plenty of free tilesets out there, but I've designed for them too over the years. Someone give me a ballpark estimate in USD, euros, pounds or whatever Paypal can send money to.
When I drew my own tilesets in RPG Maker 2003, it took me a couple of hours. Let's say that that doubles for the increased resolution and color options of RPG Maker VX Ace.

I'd say $15-40 US dollars, depending on how charitable you're feeling and how quickly the artist can work.
It boils down to how much you need (a single tile, a full sheet, a full set) and the quality.

$15 to $40 would be a good estimate, as Zachary_Braun pointed out, but it really depends on who you are contracting out.

In VX Ace, each map can have five full sheets of tiles. To do a full set like that (commissioned) could cost upwards of $200 to $500, assuming it's going to be unique to your game alone and nobody else will have access to the same resources.

However, if the artist is free to sell multiple copies (meaning it's not unique to your game alone, sold through a company store like RMW), they may be willing to sell at a reduced cost.
Pages: 1