[POLL] WHICH GAME ENGINE DO YOU PREFER? (I FIXED IT)

Poll

Which game engine do you prefer?? - Results

RPG Maker 2000
2%
RPG Maker 2003
36%
RPG Maker XP
6%
RPG Maker VX
2%
RPG Maker VX Ace
34%
Game Maker
2%
Unity
6%
ALL OF 'EM!
2%
None of 'em
6%

Pages: first 12 next last
So I decided to make another poll about this anyway. Just to make things clear, I do like all of the engines based on what I've seen on YouTube and tutorials and all that. I've tried a trial version of one of them but I can't remember. I have RMXP now though.
I was going to vote for Ace, but I think Unity is more suitable for expert programmers. You can make 3D games with it if you have what it takes. I can't use it, but I think it's definitely more advanced than the rest. :)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
2003! Because I started with it...annd I've used it for so long now.
Though VX Ace is great now that I am getting used to it, some things make me smh.
I'm gonna choose rmk23 because I think is the most approachable if you don't know much of anything. But if you know at least a bit of scripting choose VX Ace or whatever maker is the newest, because you have to roll with the times at some point... And if you know a lot of everything, avoid rpg maker like the plague! xD Go with Game maker, Construct, Unity, or whatever else is out there.
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
I predict a two-horse race between RM2k3 and Ace. RM2k and VX were the basis for those two, XP had a relatively short light of day as the newest engine, Gamemaker and Unity are too niche to make a dent just yet. Based on the games I have actually played all these years, I'd vote for RM2k3 not even knowing how to use it.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
[i]Shoot 'em Up Construction Kit[/i]! Hells yeah! Though, to be more serious, VX Ace. Whoa. [url=http://[url=http//rpgmaker.net/forums/topics/14560/?post=510057#post510057]Deja-vu[/url].
Sim RPGMaker 95 isn't on this list.

*boycott*
VX Ace for life until something better comes out.
Why isn't Construct and Construct 2 on the list?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Which game engine or toy do you prefer?
2k3 for life! VX Ace ain’t that bad, though.
lol who voted for game maker. what a rube.
I prefer the new RPG VX Ace, since I sometimes created music with several virtual instrumentation programs and always had to convert them into Midi's... That made them sound less awesome and sometimes very broken...

Now I can add them if they sound cool :D Since RPG VX Ace accepts MP3 ^_^
author=Sailerius
Which game engine or toy do you prefer?

I like XP the best!
I dunno. I've seen so many amazing games made with 2K3 that I sorta want to start learning how to use it and make a truly retro style game that screams 16-bit heaven...
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=yuna21
I dunno. I've seen so many amazing games made with 2K3 that I sorta want to start learning how to use it and make a truly retro style game that screams 16-bit heaven...
You can make a retro game much more easily in XP/VX/Ace. Scratch that, you can make any kind of game more easily with them. 2k/3 is an exercise in masochism.

Lots of amazing books were written before word processors were a thing. Don't follow cargo cult philosophies; eschewing modern advances doesn't automatically make your work any better.
@Sal: Yeah... considering that coding ain't exactly my strong point. I should probably practice my sprite skills instead. But that was a good analogy. I didn't think of it in that way. :0
2k3 definitely has its limitations that hurts it: 256 color palette which reduces the quality of your images, a maximum of only one animation present on screen at any time, no scripting support unless you use one of Cherry’s patches, 40 picture limit unless you use one of the patches, horrible, horrible font selection, doesn’t seem to work sometimes on more advanced systems…I dunno, if it wasn’t for all the wonderful patches and plugins provided to allow me to use 2k3 to my advantage I would have probably been a VX Ace man a long time ago. 2k3 is really more for the newbies and the tightwads, since it has the most tutorials and resources around (plus it’s free) that you can use compared to the rest. In retrospect, VX Ace is definitely miles ahead of it, no question. But I also like to think that every engine has its downsides and strengths and there really is no wrong or right choice. Just use what works for you.

(And yay - 2k3 is winning! :D)
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Addit
(plus it’s free)

It's free only if you pirate it, just like XP, VX, and Ace.
Pages: first 12 next last