BEEN WORKING ON A GAME FOR YEARS, HAVEN'T GIVEN UP.

Pages: first 12 next last
I'm not sure if anyone here can relate, or not. Several years ago, in highschool I started on a project called Void. The game started out as a game just to test out the engine, but it evolved into something quite ambitious.

Anyway, I started the game in highschool, and I am 27 now. For some reason, I still pick it up every once in a while and work on it from time to time. There is about 11 dungeons in the game, and I have about 9 complete. I have also gone back and redesigned the entire game. I also have multiple times stopped all work on the game for a couple of years, only to eventually return to it.

I was wondering if anyone has been in my shoes and can relate to what I am talking about.

Here is a link to the game.
http://rpgmaker.net/games/156/

I was also shocked to see that the last time I posed was back in 2008, 5 years ago!
I'm entering the 5th year of development for a single project. Same reasons : IRL issues.
It really wasn't supposed to take this long.
I'm approaching 4 years now, on a project that was originally mean to be a simple re-write and a re-skin.

Now it's a full blown remake with all the lore expanded upon, plot completely changed up, and a plethora of new characters, systems, and designs.

...Yeah. On one point, I feel a little silly letting a simple project blow up into this. But on another point, this project is my passion, so seeing it finished will be a sad day as well.

I don't expect to be super famous or successful with it's release as the project mostly caters to myself in terms of fun factor and design, but releasing it will still no doubt be interesting.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Personally, been plotting out my game for up to a couple years now. Haven't gotten anything finished on the Maker enough to where I could share just yet, but have revised and reworked a lot to get where I am right now.
author=Skie Fortress
I'm approaching 4 years now, on a project that was originally mean to be a simple re-write and a re-skin.

Now it's a full blown remake with all the lore expanded upon, plot completely changed up, and a plethora of new characters, systems, and designs.

...Yeah. On one point, I feel a little silly letting a simple project blow up into this. But on another point, this project is my passion, so seeing it finished will be a sad day as well.

I don't expect to be super famous or successful with it's release as the project mostly caters to myself in terms of fun factor and design, but releasing it will still no doubt be interesting.

I think that's admirable to see a project like that to completion. I'll subscribe to your channel and make sure I play it when you finish it (and that goes for anyone else on this form).
NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!
BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!

author=dreampainter
... in highschool I started on a project called Void. The game started out as a game just to test out the engine, but it evolved into something quite ambitious.

I did literally the exact same thing. The only difference being that I stopped working on it completely a few years later in favor of other projects, all of which I then stopped working on in favor of simple practice projects to get my bearings.
But... then I spent about two more years trying to plan a project simple enough that I could actually do it, but still interesting enough that I would do it.

Every once in a while I look back at my stuff, and I'm always surprised by the amount of crap I did or planned! If I ever get this ball rolling, I'm set for life!

I'm sure you'll finish eventually, but definitely don't go for another full-game overhaul before doing so! You'll really risk never being satisfied at that rate.

- - -
author=Skie Fortress
...the project mostly caters to myself...

Ain't nobody else worth catering to.
There is a Spanish RPG Maker 2000 game. It was completed after 12 years of development: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vygq9Csk5M

It's being translated to English.

If he can do it, you can do it too.
Heh, boy, do I know this feeling. I've got ideas, plethora of ideas, and full scripts and what have you but I always get hung up after awhile. I'm going on four years on my main project which isn't even close to my first. I think my big hangup is deciding on what engine to use. :\ That and artwork.
Hey, my game almost took ten years to finish! I started it in 2003 and finished in 2012. It was quite the struggle and I gave up the game a few times, but keep your head high. When it's finally complete? Oh man, is that EVER a good feeling! Especially when the game's been in development for a long time!
I started my game roughly 5-6 years ago, and it's only 50% done right now. What started my game? One simple dream I had one night of how Greek mythology would play out in a Japanese setting. That's all it took...I didn't know the engine at all, didn't know how to code, how to map, or the entire basis of the story. But I kept going and eventually it became the project it is now. It's still tailored towards a specific fanbase mind you, and probably won't receive great criticism outside of said fanbase, but I feel like it's a goal worth completing despite my nagging and procrastinating on it.

It'll probably be another 5-6 years before I finally finish this game (at which point I hope I'm still around to say it's finished, and actually HAVE a life by then...). I intend on seeing it through to the end as long as I'm capable. It all comes down to your willpower on whether or not you can finish what you started...and whether or not you yourself will be proud of what you make when you finish it. Of course, when I finish the game, I'm not going to know what to do with myself more than likely...

That's just my two cents though so...take it however you want. ^^;
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Sounds like the story of Tina of the Stars in my eyes! Though most of my reasons for not finishing that game within a year was due to procrastination.
I've been working on a single game called Neo Lescia (amongst my many other projects) for 12 years now, going on 13. The best part is that those 12 years have just been planning, like writing, art, and other conceptual stuff. I tried to make the game numerous times in RM, but all of those attempts failed (I'm glad they did, too- it wasn't ready). I'm looking to start the actual development process in the 2020's.

This game has basically been my entire life for as long as I can remember. Maybe it's silly to say so, but it honestly feels like a child to me. I can't imagine the emotions I'm gonna go through when the real development actually starts up. I'm a pretty stone cold guy, but I'm fully expecting to cry like a baby when it's finally finished.

When you work with a project for so long you get emotionally attached to it on a whole new level. Ever since the last RM version died I've kept 99% of the details a closely guarded secret, even to my IRL buddies who I routinely talk to about my other projects. Only my gam mak partner matrixmancs knows anything about it. I've gone so far as to barely keep any info on my computer, most of it being in handwritten notebooks and sketchpads. That probably makes me sound crazy, but I feel like I'd just lose my entire purpose as a game designer if anything bad were to happen to NL, or any of it was stolen or spoiled way ahead of time.

You may have also noticed that I like to monologue about it.

In any case, keep fighting the good fight man. I feel what you're feeling.
Yep I know that feeling.
Ive been working on Darkened Worlds for 7 years now.
I stop to do other shorter projects and when I get back to it I often end up jumping engine, redoing all the graphics because of new stuff Ive learnt and basicly starting from scratch.

Heres one of the first versions

And here is one of the latest versions

As you can see the game has made massive changes in graphical style :P
author=McBick
Where can I play that game?

If that was directed at me, you can't.
Which is the point of my post :P
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
My game, which some of you may have seen in some lower-profile RM sites (well, lower profile than RMN, rhat is!) is entering second year of development. I don't have any good reason for it other than forgetting about it for 2 or 3 months, then distracting with other projects for some amount of time (even now my project is secondary one to project I plan to sell as "Darkhog", my other Internet name).

So yes, I don't have any particularly good reason for postponing development.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I've been working on my game on and off since 2005, revising it constantly since its original completion back in 2006 in the hopes of one day creating something I'm proud of. Other projects have come about since then, some of which have acted as a form of continuation of the original story, but my heart has always been with my baby.

The unfortunate thing about working on a game for so long is that every new idea raises the bar ever so slightly and you constantly feel that if you don't one-up yourself at every turn that you're being complacent in some small way. It wasn't until I cleared my head (and most of my database/switches/variables) that I was able to bring myself back into full production of the game that still captures my imagination.

Most say not to start over if you've learned so much and instead keep it for the next game, but I'm stubborn, and I wasn't about to let my ambitions die. Thus, I changed my outlook on the creation of this game and, instead of binding myself to the subconscious memory of 8 years of work that has of yet beared no fruit, I would wipe this from my mind and consider this next revision as the work of much practice and brainstorming but ultimately a creation of 2013 and on.
Sounds like the development for my 1st game, which I started making in 2007, as a way to test the program. Had been working on it on and off (every few months/years), and finally finished it last year. Most likely going to repeat itself with my 2nd game, lol.
Pages: first 12 next last