HUMBLE OFFERINGS FROM THE "BLUDGEON OF INSPIRATION"

Pages: first 123 next last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
In this thread, you will find various bouts of creative writing. Most stories will relate to certain games I've made, but, there may be exceptions as well. Use the table of contents below if you're interested in a specific area/game, or just go down the thread at your leisure.

However, to start it all off, this particular story is supposed to bridge part of the two-year gap from Matsumori Days and Konae's Investigations. It's not quite finished yet, but here's what I have of it:

She stood behind the podium in her graduation gown with a certain amount of pride. She closed here eyes for a brief moment, then started her speech.

"There have been times when I wonder how it is that we have gotten this far. For myself, it all began with a simple brochure that my father obtained. On it, was the crest you see above me, and the words 'Matsumori High. Where everything begins and ends'. Little did I understand the truth behind those words. Certainly, the fact that I would cease to be a middle school student would be construed as an end, whereas my career as a high school student was at its beginning. However, the meaning of those words became clearer as time passed. For, in that time, I have seen new friends, new challenges, and new experiences."

On the words 'new friends' her gaze seemed to focus on a very specific portion of her audience. I knew she was looking at him, specifically. I bet he didn't catch it, though. Not to mention the extra meaning 'new experiences' took with all six of us. She continued, "Perhaps some of us have similar stories, perhaps not. Regardless, we now find ourselves on the precipice of another ending and beginning. The end of our time here, and the beginning of the next stage of our lives. Perhaps some of us have chosen to look for employment. Perhaps some of us have chosen to continue out education in college. Whatever we choose, we will not, no, can not forget Matsumori High, or what it has done for us."

I joined in the hearty applause. After that, the principal made his speech, officially graduating the class of 2010. I smiled as they threw their hats up, and thought I'm going to be doing this very thing next year.

When the ceremony turned to refreshments, we made for the student council president. I poked fun at her, "Nice speech, Ms President."

She nodded in acceptance, and said, "While you may not have intended that as a compliment, it is taken as such."

She glanced at Goho for a brief moment, but then noticed Kojiro coming toward us. Goho called out to him, "Hey, Kojiro! Over here!"

I sensed the faintest hint of disappointment in Masako's face. I know she had feelings for Goho, but she's been holding them back. I'm not really sure why, though, since it is Masako, she probably wants to confirm something before making any moves.

As I was thinking this, I noticed Masako looking at me. I blinked a few times. She knew what I was thinking about just then. Her expression was totally blank, but I knew that she knew. It's Masako, after all. Then, she said, "Yasui, might I have a word with you in private?"

Came the typical response, "Uh, yeah. Sure."

The two left as Kojiro asked me what that was all about. I tried to sound like I was kidding, saying, "That? Oh, Masako's gonna confess her love to Goho. That's all."

Kojiro laughed, then said, "Masako? Love? Yeah, right!"

If only you knew, Kojiro.

She looked up at the sky for a while. The way the wind gently brushed her hair and graduation gown made her look really pretty. Well, Masako was pretty to begin with, to be honest, but this pose made her look more so. She turned back at me, and showed me a serious face. Masako was generally a very serious person to begin with, but, I've never seen her this serious before. As if she read my mind, she shook her head, then said, "Please, do not think that you have done something wrong. In fact, just the opposite."

I was confused, "What do you mean?"

She sat down, and said, "Allow me to get straight to the point. What are your feelings toward me, Yasui?"

I blinked. I responded, "Well, you're a good friend, and insanely smart. I dunno what you want to do with yourself, but I imagine you can do pretty much anything with your grades."

Was that a smile? I probably imagined it. Masako never smiles. Anyway, she nodded, then said, "My future does seem to be filled with several possibilities. However, there is a point I wish to explore further, if I may. You said I was your friend. Are you happy with that relationship?"

I wasn't quite sure where this was going, and said, "Well, yeah. Why should I not be happy with it?"

She looked more sternly, then said, "A possible reason to not be happy with it is it you wanted something more intimate."

I looked at her, super-surprised, saying, "I-intimate? You mean, like, my girlfriend?"

Masako spoke plainly, "A 'girlfriend' can be defined as a girl who happens to be a friend. Though, the context of being 'more than friends' is the more common usage. In respect to that context, that is not exactly what I was referring to."

My head hurt from Masako's explanations. She moved her hand away, then said, "Forgive me. I did not mean to make this harder than it already was."

I asked, "Then, could you tell me what you mean? In a way that makes sense to me?"

Masako nodded, then sighed a bit. This somehow reminds me of all the times she volunteered to tutor me. Her normal way of speaking uses crazy-high vocabulary so people like me get lost easily. I could tell that she specifically held back on her usual way of speaking so that I could actually understand what she was saying. It seemed like such a burden, that I asked to stop tutoring me. She wouldn't have it, though.

"Yasui," she said, breaking my reminisce, "I may not show it particularly well, but I care about you. Quite a bit, in fact. Thus, I wish to know if you are happy with merely being friends with me, or if you might consider something more intimate."

I cocked my head, and said, "I'm still not sure what you mean by 'more intimate'."

She wore a pained face, then said, "It seems I must be more straightforward with you. So be it."

She stood up, breathed another sigh, then said, "Goho, I love you."

I was taken back from hearing her call me by my given name for a change. Then, the words that she spoke started to sink in.

She spoke again, "Goho, I love you. However, I can understand if you do not feel likewise towards me. However, I wanted you to know this before..."

Her voice trailed off into the distance. Her face became sad, then resumed almost exactly where she left off, "Before I go to college, and we are separated."

I stood up, and held her close. After about a minute, I realized what I was doing, and pushed her away, wildly apologizing. She had a feint smile, then said, "There is nothing to apologize for, Goho. Your heart was in the right place, even if your mind was not entirely aware of it. That is one of the reasons I love you."

I was confused with myself, not really knowing what to do, or how to handle this. Masako seemed to understand, and said, "It is all right if you need time to sort your feelings. When you are ready to answer," she produced a piece of paper with neatly written handwriting on it, gave it to me, and said, "give me a call."

At the very least, I allowed Goho to know how I felt about him. It almost didn't matter to me if he returned the feelings, or not. Would it be better if he did? Perhaps. However, that is not how the world works.

I attempted to live the next few days as normally as possible. I had volunteered to work at my grandmother's day-care center, however, I found it difficult to concentrate on my tasks. Having emotional stress was a new experience for me, so I adapted as much as possible.

One day, my grandmother had ordered a pizza for the staff. The shop was but a few blocks away, not to mention that I could use a bit of respite from the place, so I volunteered to get it. This worked to my grandmother's advantage, as she happened to have a coupon which discounted the amount that would need to be paid if it was a pick-up. I arrived a few minutes early, but that seemed irrelevant. I looked around the shop in a casual manner, then noticed a couple. The man had his head cocked, looking at me in a quizzical way. It was as if he was trying to identify me. The woman turned to face me, and laughed uncontrollably. Realizing who they were, I went to them, thinking, He's not used to seeing me in casual clothing.

I greeted them, "Greetings, Umehara. And to you as well... Goho."

Out of the blue, Goho called me up and asked me out for pizza. Not that I mind, but I'd like a bit more notice than this. Oh well. I told him I was okay with it, and we set up the date.

Though, with us, can you really call it a date? I mean, we've been friends since, like, forever-and-a-half. I don't really have any deep feelings for him. If it were Massaki, that'd be a different critter.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if Goho wanted to talk about Masako or not. Masako is very careful about everything, so maybe she didn't tell him anything. Poor girl. She didn't care for all the guys at school practically drooling over her, but the one guy she likes has no clue. Life's funny like that, though.

I decided to ease into things with one of his favorite subjects: baseball stats. For a guy that's not all that great with math, he understands statistics when talking about sports. I don't quite follow the baseball lingo he spouts, but I have a basic understanding of them. At some point, I said, "I have to ask. What did Masako want with you that day?"

He fell silent, then said, "She, um, said a bunch of stuff I didn't understand."

I laughed, and thought to myself, Masako! What are you doing? Geeze, at this rate...

He interrupted my thoughts with, "She said she's in love with me."

A long pause passed before I felt comfortable talking again, "Okay, well, how did you respond to her?"

He shrugged, then said, "I kinda didn't. It was a bit much to take in, you know? Though, she said I can get back to her later, and gave me her number."

I blinked a few times, then said, "Well, it's Masako, so she's probably okay with waiting for you. However, you should really get back to her as soon as you can. It's terrible to make a girl wait."

He cocked his head to his side. Man, he must have heard more than a bit of melancholy in that last sentence. I thought to myself, Come on, Massaki! Get out of that shell of yours! I'm rooting for you!

Then, I noticed that he wasn't exactly looking at me. Somebody behind me. I turned around, and saw the figure there. I couldn't hold back the laughter. Masako, how long have you been standing there?

I told Joruri, "She said she's in love with me."

She took a byte of her pizza, and sipped her drink. After that, she said, "Okay, well, how did you respond to her?"

I shrugged, then said, "I kinda didn't. It was a bit much to take in, you know? Though, she said I can get back to her later, and gave me her number."

Joruri blinked a few times, then said, "Well, it's Masako, so she's probably okay with waiting for you. However, you should really get back to her as soon as you can. It's terrible to make a girl wait."

She seemed a little sad, but my gaze meet that of a girl near the counter. She was a tall and thin type. While I didn't mean to stare, I couldn't help to notice the size of her chest. She wore a plain orange blouse and a black skirt that went below her knees. Her blonde hair was tied up in a ponytail, and her eyes were blue and had a certain serene look to them.

Damn, this girl seemed so familiar! Still, she must think I'm so queer, staring at her like this. I then noticed that she was walking over to us. Oh man, now what have I done? Then, I hear this really calm and distinct voice, "Greetings, Umehara. And to you as well... Goho."

I did a double-take, then said, "M-Masako!?"

She nodded, then said, "Correct. I must confess, I did not expect to meet either of you here."

Joruri finished laughing, then said, "Hey, why not sit down with us? For old time's sake?"

Masako shook her head, then said, "As much as I may enjoy spending time with you, I cannot stay."

Joruri shrugged, then said, "Oh well. Had to ask. Good luck with the kids, Masako!"

She nodded, then got her order, waved to us, then left. Masako has... kids? I suddenly felt betrayed.

Masako left with one last wave to us. I waved back, cordially. When I turned my attention back to Goho, I saw the saddest face I ever saw on him. Wait a second. I hastily explained, "Masako works at a day-care center run by her grandmother. You didn't know that?"

He didn't seem to be listening to me, and just said, "Either it's me, or Masako has grown."

Under normal circumstances, I might make a sly quip about her boobs. However, this didn't seem like the right time for such a thing. Wait a second. Is he depressed about Masako being somebody else's wife? I said, "Goho, you love Masako, don't you?"

He seemed to wake up, then said, "Wah? No! Of course not?"

Disbelieving, I pouted, then said, "Oh, please. You wouldn't make that look if you weren't sad about Masako being married."

He shot back, "It's hard to think of Masako marrying in the first place, don't you think?"

I shook my head, then said, "She told you that loves you, right? Would it not follow that she might not mind being married to you?"

The possibility seemed to hit him like a ton of bricks. The only thing I could do was think to myself, Masako, it looks like you're going to have to wait a bit longer!

Table of Contents
  • Matsumori series
Unfinished bridge
Something troubles me...
Attempt at romance
Scene from Konae?
Konae, the Night Stalker

• Uchioniko
Heartache custom content story?
From fanfic threed - Fluffy piece starring Katsumi

• Oracle of Askigaga
A start for Oracle?
Attempt at romance
This was hard to write
From fanfic thread - variation on the above story

• Nakaishi Wars
Possible scene?

• Mechanima
A Synthate's Past (second hide-tag)

• Unnamed Suikoden Tribute!?
Suikoden spin-off?
Marrend goes off the deep end for the Nth time (first hide-tag)
Maybe some good can come out of this?
Stream-of-world-building

• Marrend Plays...
...Suikoden 3!
...Suikoden 4!
...Suikoden 5!
...Suikoden!
...Suikoden 2!
...Xenogears!
...World of Xeen!
...Heroes of Might and Magic 2!
...The Outer Worlds!
...Heroes of Might and Magic 3 Complete!
...Final Fantasy 7 Remake!
...Xenosaga Episode 1!
...Xenosaga Episode 2!
...The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt!
...Xenosaga Episode 3!

• Unrelated
Chirstmas Eve depression
Failed blog-cast
Stream-of-consciousness
Wanting to reaching out, but...
Dream relay
Dream relay, part 2
From fanfic thread - Lulu's stream-of-consciousness between FFX and FFX-2?
Dream relay, part 3
Secret Santa 2016 - Gift to Gredge109
Dream relay, part 4
Dream relay, part 5
Dream relay, part 6
Twisted fairy tail
Secret Santa 2018 - Gift to Cap_H
Day-by-Day
Secret Santa 2019 - Gift to pianotm
Secrest Santa 2020 - Gift to Acra
Secret Santa 2021
Dream relay, part 7
Marrend
Again, an unfinished short story. This time, our subject is Uchioniko. Though, the possibility exists of incorporating this idea in respect to the custom content of the same name for Heartache 101 - Sour Into Sweet.

I was walking home with Izumi, when we heard the cry of "Waaaaaaait!"

We turned around, and saw the hastily approaching figure of Ruri. Though, perhaps this is her normal speed? I know she gets in trouble for running in the halls, but she absolutely insists that she's not running. In any event, she comes up to us with a very excited expression on her face. She wasted no time and got right to the point, "Did you hear that they are doing Sei-chan at the karikoe? We gotta go, guys!"

I merely furrowed by brow, but Izumi spoke, "Sei-chan, you say. Well, she's popular with a lot of people, so..."

Ruri cut her off, "Well, yeah! That's why we gonna go!"

I shook my head furiously. Izumi smiled, and said, "Why is today so important? Are they having a special rate?"

Ruri blinked, then said, "Not that I know of, but," her former enthusiasm returned, "it's still Sei-chan! You're a fan too, right Izumi?"

Izumi shook her head, then said, "It's... difficult for me to listen to her songs, actually."

Of course it would. However, Ruri didn't understand, and asked, "What's so difficult about it?"

Izumi strugged with her response, "Well, her songs elicit certain emotions within me. They are very close to the heart."

I cast my gaze downward. Ruri might take that to mean that I agree with her. It's partially true, but I was thinking about what Izumi was saying, and what she might go through. I can't even imagine it. Breaking my thoughts, Ruri nodded, then said, "Yeah, some can be pretty sad. But not all of them! We sing the happy ones!"

I shook my head again. Ruri directed her attention to me, and said, "Oh, come on Shoko! It'll be fun! If you go, I bet Izumi will go too! Maybe we can snag Mayu too!"

Well, she was probably wrong about Izumi coming along. It wasn't that she hated the place, but if she sang...

"If," responded Izumi, "you do manage to have Shoko agree to go with you, that would be a small feat. To say nothing about Mayu. You know very well that she wouldn't care about such things."

Ruri put her hands on her hips, and said, "Geeze, what's with you two? I thought you'd be all over this!" She resumed her regular pose, then continued, "If I said I had tickets to the next concert, I bet I'd get a different responce!"

I was vaugely thinking of a guy I would like to be with, and Ruri must have noticed. Ruri exclaimed, "Ah-ha! I thought so, Shoko!"

Izumi quirked an eyebrow at me, and said, "Well. That was unexpected. In that case, why not go with Ruri, Shoko?"

I bured my face in my embarrassment. How can I explain this? I had no words. Though, that's pretty typical of me.
Marrend
Something has been troubling me about the story in the first post. Beware of spoilers.

Who's the principal? I never defined Matsumori High as having a vice-principal, but if there was such a position, I suppose he/she would have taken over. I mean, Sataro probably figures that he'd be busy after the defeat of Chojiro, so it makes sense to have somebody take the reins of principle. So, when he doesn't defeat him, and gets sent to an inter-dimensional prison, well, there isn't much he can do.

So, the logical thing would be that whoever took Sataro's place pretty much stayed there. People might have assumed that Sataro just decided to go into retirement. Someone like Masako might suspect otherwise. It's not a point that would seem to be raised in the context of that story, if I ever get around to writing more of it.

Marrend
Sorry for the utter lack of stuff coming in for those that are following if any. However, I think I struck on a decent way to start Oracle of Askigaga!

I foresaw his coming in my dreams. I already knew why he came to the Temple of the Oracle. I sensed my own strength faltering somewhat at the weight of his regret he has been carrying for untold years. However, as much as I may care for him, he must not know who I am. Not yet. I kneeled before the alter, and put up my hood as if I was in meditation. Then, one of my acolytes' voice came from behind me, "Oracle, we have someone who wants to be an acolyte."

Of course, I already knew the reasoning. He wanted to have some kind of reprieve from the regret he's been carrying. I did not move, resolute my my purpose, and answered, "Understood. Show the postulant in."

A moment later, he came in, and we were alone. I allowed the onslaught of feelings that came from him to pass through me. I remained in my pose, then said, "I'm sure you realize that we must test your allegence to Askigaga in order for you to become our acolyte."

Came the answer I've heard in my dreams a thousand times, "I will do whatever task you send me out to do."

I allowed a smirk to cross my face. I rose, but did not turn around. I said, "Then, we will give you this task. Go to Castle Askigaga. Once there, seek Masudu Momo or Ishihara Oharu. The Prince will be visiting Hachisuka and Gojo as an envoy. It is Askigagan tradition to have one from our temple also be send as part of such an envoy. Thus, we shall send you as our representative. Note the amount of trust we are placing in you in this matter. It is hoped that it is not misplaced."

Marrend
WISE FROM YOUR GAVE!

Or not. In any event, I wrote this Matsumori Days-based ditty some time ago as some kind of attempt to write romance:

There were four of us sitting at the table: Katai, Kojiro, Masako, and me. We were celebrating our victory against Shirai, and generally out to have a good time. Well, okay, I don't think Masako was out for a good time, but, she came in the spirit of celebration. We were just talking pretty casual-like, then Masako asked, "Is Yasui or Koruba coming by?"

I shook my head, and answered, "Goho's dad called, wanting his help moving stuff. So, if he comes at all, he'll be washed out, and really late. When I asked Toshie, she said she'd be workin' today."

Masako nodded, then said, "Understood."

Kojiro adjusted his glasses, then said, "We came at a pretty busy time, though. The place is absolutely mobbed."

Masako noted, "I would not have expected anything less. This is a rather popular location for students of Matsumori High to relax from the stresses of the day."

Katai quirked an eyebrow, then asked, "You come here often?"

Masako blinked, then said in her usual flat tone, "It is common knowledge. Saying that, I visit my father here on a not insignificant number of occasions."

Kojiro commented, "You told me your dad was a cheif. So, does that mean he works, like, here?"

Before Masako was able to answer, our waitress arrived. Of all the people, it was Koruba Toshie. She said, "Hi, guys! Sorry 'bout the wait. We're pretty busy today!"

Kojiro gave a look as if to say, "So I noticed!" Toshie smiled, then said, "Okay, well, enough of that. I bet you guys are ready to order!"

I blurted out, "I'll have the meatloaf with a root beer, please!"

Toshie jotted it down, nodding profusely, saying, "That's my fav. Uh... sperate bills?"

We pretty much nodded in unision. Toshie gave us the okay, then redirected her attention to Katai. He said, "Burger an whatever-brand-soda you carry."

Kojiro said, "Dude, you could get that very meal for cheaper at any fast food joint ever."

Katai said, "Maybe, but, it's, like, ten times better at places like this."

Kojiro quirked an eyebrow, and said, "If you say so. For me, the takyaki with a soda sounds good."

Toshie nodded, then turned her attention to Masako. She hesitated for a moment, but finally said, "I believe I shall try the cheif's special."

Toshie paused, then asked, "Uh, okay. Sure. Drink?"

"Water," came the response.

It seemed pretty typical of her, but, that didn't stop Kojiro. "Masako, you realize that you can get water almost litterally anywhere."

Masako responded with, "It also costs no additional funds. An excellent reason to ask for it, when the cost of what I ordered is on the prohibative side."

Katai, wanting to get on her good side, said, "It was, like, five hundred yen more expensive then what any of us were ordering."

I decided to chime in, "Maybe. But, I kinda understand where Kojiro's coming from. It's a pretty boring choice. Maybe go with tea, or something?"

Masako considered, "I would not mind tea. However, I stand by my initial decison."

Kojiro looked like he was about to open his mouth again, but, decided against it. Meanwhile, Toshie rattled off our orders to see if she got them right, which she did, then scurried off. I made the off-hand comment of "Energetic girl, isn't she?"

Kojiro nodded, then said, "Not bad-looking either."

Masako commented, "Personally, I would prefer to see the waitress' skirts long enough to go below the knee-line."

I joked, "Well, at least they're not in one-peice bathing suits with fishnet stockings, right?"

"And bunny ears" added Katai.

Masako noted, "I fail to find the humor of this. Indeed, I have heard of a restaraunt, a rather expensive one, that does such a thing."

Kojiro added, "Yeah, I think I've heard about that. I'm not sure where that's supposed to be, though."

I shook my head in disbelief, then Toshie came by with our drinks. She said, "The food'll be ready in a bit more, okay?"

I swallowed a bit of my drink, then said, "Ahhhh! That hit the spot! So, anybody got plans after this?"

Masako commented, "Yasui had asked me to continue to tutor him. The plan was for us to meet him here, and go to his house together."

Masako sent her gaze to her left, where there was a window, as if she half-expected Goho to pass by. Katai bulged his eyes, and implusively asked, "Uh, hey, maybe you can tutor me as well?"

Masako sighed, shook her head, then said, "I can only imagine the subject matter you would have me teach you."

Kojiro and I almost spit out our drinks. Masako was very clear in her understanding of Katai's thinking, and was equally clear about how she felt about it. Katai became flustered with embarrassment. When the moment passed, I got to thinking a bit about Massaki, and how I wouldn't mind "teaching" him about that "subject". I noticed Masako had turned her gaze again. She sighed, shook her head, then went back to her drink. I wasn't too sure what that was about, but, I was sure it wasn't any concern of mine.

Toshie just shook her head, and said, "You pining for Masako too? Man, good luck. That's all I can say."

I escaped from my trance, and said, "N-no. Not her. Joruri."

She shook her head, then said, "Pfft! There's no way that's true. I mean, she's almost as easy to get along with as I am!"

I sighed, resigned that I could not attempt to explain the details behind my feelings. I merely said, "Maybe. Anyway, uh, give me the usual."

She nodded, then said, "You got it, Massaki."

I sat there, doing my best not to stare at that other table, or overhear any of the conversation. It was hard. Then, I noticed Masako was looking at me. She sighed, shook her head, then attended her drink as normal. Crap, I think she knows! Though, maybe I can talk to her about Joruri? Eh, I dunno. She's probably going to suggest something like, "Just go up and talk to her already". Or, you know, however Masako would say something like that. She does have a very wide vocabulary. Though, she would have a point either way. She is right over there. How simple would it be to just go over and say hi?

And yet...

We were practiaclly done when Goho finally showed up. He was all, "Hi, guys. Sorry about not being able to eat with you, but, well..."

He shrugged as he trailed off. Masako asked, "I hope you were able to have lunch between when you were asked to do work for your father, and now?"

He laughed, then said, "Yeah."

Masako got up, and said, "I see. In that case, since I am done here, allow me to pay for the meal, then, we can continue with the plan for the night."

Goho nodded and said, "Sure thing. I'll wait up here."

After she left, Katai snickered, "Gonna study hard, yeah?"

Goho's not the brightest blub in the closet, so, of course, he answered, "Uh, yeah. Sure."

He looked at me quizzically, and I said, "Katai's just jelious that you get some quality time with Masako, when she won't give him the time of day."

Kojiro laughed, then snicked, "Quality time. Yeah, that's exactly what he was talking about!"

Goho shook his head, then said, "I must have missed this joke you guys are in on."

After a while, we had all paid and were ready to part our seperate ways. Then, I saw a familiar face about to leave. I called to the retreating figure, "Hey, Massaki!"

He turned toward me for a bit, then came towards me all awkward. He managed to say, "H-hi Joruri."

He's a pretty shy guy, so this seemed normal. I decided to tease him a bit, "So, how long have been here? How long have you been staring at Masako?"

He got pretty nervious at that. I didn't feel like teasing him anymore, but tried to be supportive, "Awwww! Well, chin up, Massaki! You have as much chance as anybody else! Maybe more!"

Massaki sighed, then said, "Uh, well..."

He trailed off embarrassed. I put a reasurring hand on his shoulder, and said, "Hey, it's okay to feel afraid of a girl you genuinely like. Being honest with those feelings is something she would appreciate."

From out of almost nowhere was the devil, herself, saying, "I must admit that honesty is a virtue that I would appreciate. I'm sure you would appreciate that virtue as well, Umehara."

I blurted out, "Geeze, Masako, would you mind not doing that?"

She bowed, then said, "Please accept my apologies. It was not my intention to frighten you, or anyone else. Now, Yasui, shall we proceed with our plans for this afternoon?"

Goho scratched his head, and said, "I'm pretty pooped, but, I guess a bit of studying can't hurt."

Masako nodded, and the pair moved off. I thought a bit, then said, "Hey, what if I get Masako to tutor you, Massaki?"

He shook his head. A bit annoyed, I asked him, "Why not? I'm sure she'd be okay with it."

He just shook his head again, and started to leave on his own. I chased after him.

It's not that I didn't appreciate what Joruri was trying to do. It kinda made me happy, actually. But, the thing was, I wanted to be with her. Not Masako. Why does everybody assume that I want to be with Masako, anyway? Actually, I knew why. She's the girl everybody wants to be with, so why would I not be included in that group? Except that I'm not. Don't get me wrong, Masako's a nice girl, and all. However, there is one thing I like about Joruri that Masako seems to lack. Joruri is outgoing. Well, Toshie is also outgoing, and more energetic then Joruri. It's just that Joruri seems, I dunno, more mature. More realistic about things. Something like that.

Next thing I knew, I noticed Joruri in front of me with an angry disposition. She said, "Geeze, do you always walk in a daze when you're thinking about the girl you like?"

I laughed from the irony of the situation. She shrugged, then said, "Come on. Let's get you home in one peice, okay?"

I nodded, but couldn't say anything, or do anything. It was pretty depressing. She must've noticed, she she asked, "Gee, you have it really bad, don't you?"

I sighed, only being able to produce, "Yeah."

She shook her head, and said, "Man, I have no idea how Masako's going to react to this."

I shook my head too, but Joruri took it as an agreement. "Well, you've got an advantage. Masako overheard us earlier. Knowing her, she probably already knows how you might feel, just not how deep it goes. I think you're best move is to just out and say it. Don't get me wrong, it's not going to be as easy at it sounds, but, you're probably going to regret it for the rest of your life if you keep quiet."

I tried to smile, and came out with a, "T-thanks Joruri. I'll try and remember that."

She smiled, then said, "Hey, no prob. Now, do you think you can get to your place, or..."

I grabbed her hand, and said, "Stay with me a bit."

She was pretty taken back, but said, "Uh, sure. Okay."

Man, did my heart skip a beat when he grabbed my hand so suddenly! I followed him for a good spell. He didn't seem to be in a trance, but, after grabbing my hand like that, I figured I aught to stay by him until he dismissed me. Man, I have never seen Massaki so determined in my life. Not that I knew him all that well, but, it was a change I would mind being more permanent. Eventually, we stopped at a door, and I was like, "Well, I guess this is it. My job's done."

I turned around and started moving off, but jerked back. I turned around, and there was Massaki, still holding my hand. I blinked, then said, "Uh, you can let go now."

He didn't say anything, but there was this look in his eye. Things started to click in my head, but, I wanted to be sure that they were clicking correctly. I said, quite frankly, "It wasn't Masako you had those feelings for, was it?"

He smiled, shook his head, and said, "Nope."

I pushed him further out of his comfort zone, "Who is it, then?"

He didn't say anything, but he looked pretty serious. I pushed harder, "Would you mind telling me why you want me to stay? I've given you all the advise I can give, and I seriously doubt that my company, regardless of how long I stay, is going to do any additional amount of good."

He breathed deep, then finally confessed, "Joruri, I... I love you."

I gave him a soft, genuine smile. Then, I said, "Love, huh? That's is a pretty strong word, there, Massaki."

He stuttered, "W-well, er, I find you a-atrratcitve, at least. I mean, you're smart, pretty, outgoing, and, uh, mature."

I laughed, then said, "Thanks for that. I apprecaite your honesty."

He inched closer to me. My heart skipped a beat, or maybe five. He was going in for the kiss! Yes! Sure enough, he planted one on my right cheek. Then my left. Then, we embraced. It was a pretty good feeling, just standing there like that. He gave me a longer kiss on my lips, then parted. I was feeling pretty turned on, but, understood why he didn't want to go very far. We were, after all, still in public view. I was kinda hoping he'd invite me inside to explore each other more, but, he was just like, "Hey, um, maybe we should have a date sometime?"

I nodded, saying, "Yeah, we probably should do that. Trade numbers?"

He gave me another hug before going through the door. I had half a mind to go after him, and have him finish what he started. Though, for him, this might have been far enough for a day. So, I decided to respect that, and leave for home.

Marrend
A little something that was spawned from my Christmas Eve depression. Fair warning: These are not happy thoughts!

I'm self-centered and spoiled. No, that's not right. A person who is spoiled believes he deserves more than he has. I don't deserve anything. Not money, not fame, but most of all, not love.
How could anyone love such a wretched creature such as I, anyway? Pity and sympathy, perhaps, but love?

Perhaps all I want this Christmas, what I need, is a hug. Or, really, just something, anything, that suggests that I'm worth something to somebody somewhere!
unity
You're magical to me.
*Huuuuuugs! *
Marrend
Tossing together a scene that has it's roots in Konae's Investigations! Whither or not it will make it into the game, well, uh, I have no idea!

We gave everything we had. It wasn't enough to defeat Chojiro. He gloated over us, laughing. Knowing all along that we were no match for him.

He sighed, then said, "Well. I suppose I should grant you the mercy of a quick death, as you at least provided a moment of entertainment. It's the least I can do for... you?"

His attention was diverted. It was that lady we meet at the orphanage! What the heck was she doing here, of all places? Also, wasn't she the very person who told us not to peruse Chojiro?

Anyway, the two exchanged conversation, and the fight began again. Chijiro threw... some kind of magic at the poor girl, and she didn't even flinch! However, the blot fizzled before even reaching her. Chijiro quirked an eyebrow, and said, "A counter-spell, eh? Wait. No. That wasn't a counter-spell. Not exactly. What was that?"

The young woman made no response, save to extend her arm and first two fingers point to the sky. A bright light came crashing down on Chojiro, and sent him clear on the other side of the room. He adjusted himself, smiled, then said, "I've not met many who have passed the divine trial. I wonder how you managed it?"

Then, Chijiro threw a fireball at the young woman. She merely closed her eyes to this, as if that would protect her. Then, came the explosion. We were thrown a bit, and when I came to, I couldn't help but to notice that the young woman was still standing where she was, completely untouched by the ravages of the spell? Just who is this girl!?

She briefly smiled at me, as if she could read my mind, but then her attention swiftly diverted back to the fight. She threw her own ball of white light towards Chojiro. Chojiro was hit, and rubbed his hand across his mouth. Blood? He chuckled, then said, "Very good. You actually managed to hurt me. However, I doubt you can keep that up for much longer."

Came the response, "True. I am not an Arbiter, and would not be able to defeat you under normal circumstances. However, this circumstance is far from normal."

Chojiro was as curious as anybody else in the room, "Circumstances? What circumstances? You're just a normal girl that happened to have passed the divine trial!"

Her face turned grim, then said, "Normal? Perhaps I was. Once. However, with my innate skill to guess what people are thinking, and the blessing of the divine spirit, I have become something else. Perhaps I could be considered a monster, or perhaps a meta-human. Whatever the term that most applies to me, I will prove to be your worst nightmare."

Chojiro widened his eyes, then said, "That aura! It's the same as Shirai when he... but... but... how?"

She closed her eyes, then said, "Because you represent a threat to this reality, and many others. However, if I must be bluntly honest," her face turned downright fierce, "I cannot forgive you for what you did to my friends. For what you made me do to them to re-awaken their consciousness."

Chojiro tilted his head, as if not quite understanding what she was saying. Then, after a bit, the realization came to him, "The two pawns I had guarding the tower?"

The woman was surprisingly contained, "They have names, sir. Yasui Goho. Umehara Joruri."

Chojiro was sarcastic, "Oh, sorry, am I supposed to remember the names of all of my pawns?"

Came the response, "They are not your pawns anymore."

Chojiro nodded, then said, "I suppose not. What about you, though? Aren't you just a pawn for the Yamamotos?"

She shook her head, then said, "Perhaps. But, even a pawn can become a queen. And you are at a check-mate."

With this, another white ball came out of the girl. He was floored? Just who is this woman?
Marrend
Here's an Oracle of Askigaga scene that tries to lead in to a bit of romance. Or, at least, a cute scene with the couple? I dunno. Trying to write for two characters that have a romantic history, and to relay a sense of that history, is hard! Anyway...

I sat with the Oracle in silence. My unease was too obvious, though. She reached across the table, and said, "I know you are worried about the prince, and the treaty. However, you should still get some sleep. We'll all need to be sharp for the Temple of the Spirit."

I could not help but to shake my head, and respond to her with, "Of all the dangers we may face, it is the relationship between our prince and the princess of Gojo that endangers this treaty the most."

The Oracle pulled back, laughed, then said, "And the rumors of Masao and Tamaki are not as worrisome?"

I sighed in recognition of the rumors she spoke of. Then, I thought I had heard a noise. I turned toward the source. The prince's room!? We both rose to act with lightning speed, but, the Oracle restrained me, and said, "Oharu. Let it go."

I was a bit restless. So much so that I was reading Momo's book. I must have read this thing a million times now. I jumped to the section on Gojo. My mind drifted to thoughts of Sakura. Her smile! Her graceful way of carrying herself! Her kindness towards others! Her embrace! That this stupid treaty between Askigaga and Hachisuka were to not exist!

I could almost hear Sakura's teasing laughter, and feel Oharu's disapproving glare. I know I shouldn't think these things. But, being here, in this castle, with Sakura practically in my grasp! I chuckled to myself out of spite. A familiar voice came from behind me, saying, "Mind letting me in on the joke?"

Surprised, I turned to face the intruder. I gasped, and said, "S-sakura!? What are you... never mind that, how did you get past Oharu?"

She put her hands on her hips, and said in a very serious tone, "This is my house. If I choose to use a secret passage few know about for the purposes of a clandestine meeting..."

She trailed off with a more mischievous look. Almost on impulse, I looked toward the door, to see if Oharu was aware of what was happening. Sakura soon followed suit. After a but, I relaxed a bit. Noticing, Sakura open her arms and motioned me to come and join her in an embrace. I shook my head, but took up her offer anyway. It was a warm, gentle, embrace that lasted for... I'm not really sure. However, our kisses became more and more desperate. However, we barely managed to push ourselves away before we couldn't stop ourselves. She had a painful look on her face, but it soon turned to understanding. She spoke first, "Yeah, this... might not have been a great idea."

I could only manage to say, "I'm sorry it has to be this way."

She nodded, sighed, then said, "Well, as long as I'm here, how about telling me about the journey you've had so far?"

I was a bit sarcastic, "You want to make your trip down here worth your while, eh?"

She scoffed, then said, "Well, I suppose so. Goddess forbid that I come here, using a secret path, for nothing!"

Marrend
Now here's a story that was... more than a bit painful to write. A bit of an early-version of Oracle of Askigaga ideation with this.

I sensed him coming before he even entered my temple. Indeed, I sensed him coming for years on end. So, it was finally going to happen. All the years of wandering, and heartache that was endured was going to come to an end. One way, or another.

I bowed my head in prayer. Will this turn out all right? Will the realization be too much to bear? Then, he entered. I kept my head low, and was facing away from him. A moment later, I turned to him. I saw beyond the physical, and saw how he perceived himself: a pathetic being, living solely on a singular, idiotic hope. Yet, he stood before me, thinking I could relieve him of at least some of the torment. I tried to contain myself, and spoke softly, yet firmly, "I take it you have received the right to an audience with me. What is it that I can do for you?"

He heaved mightily, then said, "I have traveled far and wide. I have seen much, and done much. However, I realize that what it is that I have been searching for is out of my grasp, and has been for some time."

I nodded slightly, then, with feigned curiosity, "And what is it that you were searching for?"

He sighed again, and simply said, "Forgiveness."

I quirked an eyebrow, then queried, "From what, pray-tell?"

He shook his head, and said, "I don't think you would understand. Even if I did tell you, you would probably be bound to tell me that I was being stupid."

My voice was even, "I shall be the judge of that. Tell me your story."

I already knew what the story was, but, I needed him to tell it to me. No, it was more like he needed to let it out, once and for all.

I stood with my fellow students out in the field. An old friend of mine came up to me, and showed me a book. It was a book of various uninteresting articles, but he directed me to the back. There, it was written as plain as day, "I think you're friend Kenshin is cute! - Kuwabara Emiko"

Outrageous! Impossible! An obvious lie! But, what if...

My mind wandered, considering those around me. Look at them. I am not one of them. I am but a mere observer. I am but a shell of a person. Yet, there was that note, saying that a shell is attractive? It made no sense. So, of course, I do nothing about this. But, what if...

As time passed, that gnawing "what if" consumed me. I tried writing letters to her, but they came to no avail. Then, by some odd chance, we actually met face-to-face. Finally, I had the opportunity to tell her what I felt. Except that I could not. Ironically enough, she fully admitted to her feelings, and I came off as not believing her. If only she knew! If only I could say what I felt!

Thus, I wandered the world in a feeble attempt to forget. Except I cannot. It is a part of me that I cannot be simply let go.

It was more difficult to listen to than I had anticipated. Still, I had a role to play. I sighed, then said, "What is it, exactly, that you seek from me, then?"

Came the response, "A place to make myself useful, for a change."

I tilted my head, then said, "You want to become an acolyte? Very well. If that is what you want. However, I will require one small favor of you first."

He nodded, as if expecting a request. I smiled for a brief moment, then asked, "Before we get to that, let me ask you something. What if you were able to meet with her again?"

He was bluntly honest, "Probably, I would do nothing again. Tough, at this juncture, what would the point of telling her anything be? She has her own life, and has probably done quite well for herself without the likes of me dragging her down."

I chuckled, then said, "Ah, but what if she already knows?"

He gave me a queer look, then said, "I don't think I follow you, Oracle. How could she know?"

At this, I said, "Because," then beamed a smile, removed my hood, lifted my head so that he could clearly see my face, then continued with, "you just told her."

Marrend
Okay, let's stop trying to kid myself. I'm probably not going to go anywhere with this because I am an absolute coward. So, here's the script that I wrote for my so-called "blogcast" that I was thinking about doing. That I had a script to follow, and still didn't get the nerve to do this is probably telling. Anyway...

Hello RMN, this Marrend, very probably making a total idiot out of himself! Yaaaaaay! Anyway, with this blogcast, I'm going to talk about, amongst other things, Legacy Reborn.

I'm going to be honest, here, and say that my overall willpower to make much of anything has been really low lately. I dunno, maybe the timing's off. I DID pick up Legacy Reborn, like, right after the McBacon Jam #1 concluded. Maybe it's something else. I know I've had thoughts of getting the game done as fast as possible, regardless of the quality the results of such thinking would produce.

Perhaps I'm looking at this from the wrong direction. Perhaps I should be asking myself why I wanted to make this game in the first place. Legacy Reborn is a remake of a game that was originally made in 2002 in RPG Maker 2K by my older brother. It was among the first games that we made in that engine, not to mention that I actually have a copy of it. Unlike the other games that were made, or the two or three games we downloaded from back then. So, I guess the reason to make Legacy Reborn was out of some sense of nostalgia.

Now here's a thought. Perhaps I'm just looking at the big picture of what all needs to be done, and not seeing how to compartimentalize it into smaller, more doable, projects? I'm probably doing the very same thing in regards to poor Konae's Investigations. Dairgaaz, I cannot count the number of times I've been tempted to take that game, revert it to an older, more complete version, fix up the bugs that I know exist, and plop that junk up as "done". Though, knowing me, being the perfectionist and worry-wart that I am, I would care about the feedback I get.

I dunno, maybe the best move for me is to just stave off game-making for a time. Let's see if I get as far as cearing the tasks at the Dojo of the Dragon Fist first. Gameplay-wise, it's not very much further into the game as the current demo, but, Darigaaz, it's progress!

Okay, that's... probably enough rambling for now. This is Marrend, of all people, signing off!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll dive back into sulk mode for the next while.
Marrend
A bit of non-game stream-of-consciousness that I did earlier today.

Perhaps it's the sheer loneliness. Perhaps it is the thoughts of being useless that sometimes surface. Perhaps it's something else that my subconscious knows that my conscious does not. Whatever the reason, there comes a time where there is a dull pain in my chest.

I have no one to reach out to. No one that, I believe, would understand. The words that would make for understanding are difficult to relay. So, the cycle continues.

I search for ways to distract myself. Sometimes, this comes as making, or playing, games. Sometimes, this comes as the few occasions where I go out with friends. It helps, don't get me wrong. But, it eventually comes back to haunt me.

I dunno. In a sense, I want to be left alone. Yet, at the same time, I also want to be recognized. To be loved. That I matter. Stuff like that. It's silly, stupid, and unrealistic. But, still...

I dunno. There's only so much I can do, or am willing to do. So, the cycle continues. Inevitable. Unstoppable.

sinn
the original sinn
And here we have Marrend again. :)
Marrend
author=sinnelius
And here we have Marrend again. :)

Meaning... what, exactly? Most creative writing threads that I've seen are very much like this, with only the author making post after post.

Uh, I probably should have had something to insert to this thread, aside from this comment, but, er, derp, I fail.
unity
You're magical to me.
Threads like this are nice to have, especially in place of any sort of developer's blog. I may start up one of my own at some point ^_^
Marrend
I'd...probably subscribe to that.

*Edit: For whatever reason, I was thinking up a scene from Nakaishi Wars (aka: that-tactics-with-mechs-game-that-always-gets-shelved) not a few moments ago. It might not be much, but here's what I got.

"Excuse me," he asked, "but is this a shuttle to the Kamiyama?

She grinned, and said, "Yep! This is one of 'em!"

He took her in, then commented, "A mechanic, right?"

She was taken aback, then said, "No-no-no. Not just a mechanic! The mechanic!

There was a brief pause, then, the mechanic said, "Not that I have anything against being assigned to this beauty, but, have you heard about the sister-ship?"

The man nodded grimly, and said, "I am very much aware of the capabilities of the Aokami. My wife cannot shut up about it. Though, to be fair, I was assigned there for a brief tour of duty before being assigned to the Kamiyama. It is very much a remarkable ship."

The mechanic widened her eyes in awe, then giggled, and said, "You were downgraded?"

He laughed, then said, "I suppose you could look at it that way. My role on this ship will be a tad different than then one I had on the Aokami, though."

Genuinely curious, the mechanic asked, "Oh yeah? What role is that?"

He coughed politely, then said, "I'm the captain, Saito Izo. Nice to meet you, chief mechanic Ikuba Toshie."

Marrend
Apparently, Marrend has not been in a happy mood of late.

Sometimes, I feel like I need to talk to... somebody. Yet, on the other hand, I just can't bring myself to start talking. Even if I have something I want to discuss, the willpower to just speak up just isn't there.

It's just so frustrating! I want to reach out, but am such a complete coward that I don't. Though, I guess the whole "cycle" that I tried posted about beforehand speaks a bit about this.

I... I just don't know what I'm doing anymore. What is it that I seek? Understanding? Companionship? Forgiveness? Some combination thereof? Most of those things are earned. I know that. It's just... I dunno... hard.

Marrend
I'm not quite sure what spawned the thoughts, but, I was recollecting the dreams I had recently. Most of the details have escaped me, of course, but I suppose I wanted to write what I could down.

Dream 1

It felt I was watching an old movie. There were two guys with arms raised, as if there were ready for a fist-fight, and one of them I could identify as a legitimate boxer. I don't recall if any blows were exchanged, but the boxer spun himself while crossing to the other side of the room. When he got there, out of the door came an African-American woman in a showgirl outfit. She embraced the guy rather amorously, and she pulled him to the other side of the door and closed it. The other guy came over, and opened the door with this stupid grin on his face. There was this cardboard cut-out of that guy with a bulging belly, as if he was pregnant.

It was clearly meant to be a joke, there was a musical cue and everything, but I was just disgusted. I also recall thinking that the woman wasn't a bad singer, so she must have sung at some point. I'm not sure where that is in this whole sequence was, though.

This one, I'm really not sure what the hell this is about.

Dream 2:

I went back to my childhood hometown. I was with my mother, and a few old family friends. We visited the middle school I used to go to. I didn't recognize the place at all! It was like, the school was a town onto itself! I distinctly recall passing a church for students to go to, for some reason.

Anyway, since it was graduation time, we decided to sit in for the ceremony. I kinda felt like it was a useless gesture, at first. I knew there would be no one there that would recognize me. Anyway we walked into this cramped classroom, and seated ourselves. Then, the students start coming in, and all the sudden, I realize who I'm seeing: it's my class. There was even a student that I recognized as "me"! I don't specifically recall doing it for this dream, but, I probably was on the lookout for a girl I had (still have?) a crush on, but, of course, that didn't go anywhere.

The only other thing I remember is one of the female students making snide commentary about "me" being a coward. I was pretty pissed about that comment, and I barely recall grasping her arm, and telling her... something. I'm sorry I cannot be more specific.

Perhaps I'm oversimplifying this, but it seems to me that the moral of this story is that I can't "go home" again.

CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Whoa those are some trippy dreams. Sounds like they'd make a good game. Like a personal introspection into your life. Probably too personal though. Anyways, those are very surreal dreams.
Marrend
So, I was writing a bit of the new opening for Konae's Investigations, aiming for a Kolchack, the Night Stalker kind of feel. What I wrote was, well...

Nakae City is not particularly known for it's earthquakes. However, there was a doozy of a quake in early June that, for all intents and purposes, was totally out of this world.
[switch scene]
Togo Road. Deep in the industrial sector of Nakae, the place is home to manufacturing business that make the conveniences our modern daily lives so depend on.
(NPC appears)
Higashikuni Suzuko was going about her normal business, looking up a request for a potential client. She knew the paperwork she was looking for was in storage, and had a good idea of where to find it. Sadly, something found her first.
([Earth] over NPC)
[switch scene]
A few days later, a few blocks down, Imamura Soshitsu arrived to work bright and early. He was looking to impress the boss in the hopes of getting a promotion. He got some attention, all right, but not the kind he was looking for.
([Earth] over NPC)
[switch scene]
A day after that, Kasuse Manufacturing. A meeting was taking place that was supposed to review old products, and inspire new ones. The only inspiration to be found would be by the poor souls slated to do the eulogies.
([Earth All])

Chapter 1 - Strange Happenings

[Nakae Gazette]
A day later, the editor of the Nakae Gazette, Kitano Toyozo, finally decided that he had an assignment for us to look into.
[FLICK ZE SWITCH!]

...yeah.
Pages: first 123 next last