HUMBLE OFFERINGS FROM THE "BLUDGEON OF INSPIRATION"

Pages: first prev 123 last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Included the currently-running LP of World of Xeen. I've also decided to give the Let's Play threads their own section.
Zakariya
Every misdeed has its own punishment, and every good deed has its reward.
Excellent, I shall check it out when I do not feel exhausted. XD
Marrend
Included the LP of Heroes of Might and Magic 2 to the list.
Marrend
Secret Santa stories gogogogogooooooooooooooo!

For a bit of context, I originally had AtiyaTheSeeker as a giftee before she dropped, and I was switched to Frogge in my capacity as helper (she had him as a giftee). However, it seemed a shame not to publish what I made for her in at least some capacity, so, here we are! Plus Frogge's gift!

--Dates at the Guilded Dallah--

When was it that I first heard the name of Nazreen Vipertounge, and her exploits? It feels a lifetime ago now, but, I will do my best at it.

For much of my life, I lived in the city of Ramad, as an apprentice of the arcane arts. When I wasn't fetching reagents for my master, I did what I could for the people of the city to make ends meet. Thinking on it now, I believe it was during that time I might have first heard her name in relation to a rebellion against a corrupt noble some years prior.

I suppose it started as curiosity. I saw how her actions were treated by others of our kind. Now, perhaps I was an idealist back then, but, I eventually found myself among those who supported her.

As more time passed, I build her up as a shining idol of a person that can be trusted and respected that goes beyond mere race. Despite this, I somehow managed to find the courage to ask her to share a cup of coffee with me at the Guilded Dallah.

Our first meeting went fairly well, given the circumstances. I did a little trick I learned where I made a spoon dance in an attempt to entertain. I recall that she forgot to get some cream, and asked me to go and fetch some for her. Not unused to this kind of request, I accepted, and also bought a cake for us to share. I wasn't entirely sure if she would enjoy such, but, at the time, I hoped the gesture would at least be appreciated.

Our second meeting was a little more harrowing. For reasons I still don't understand, a pair of thugs decided to drop by, and make a scene. While I might be leery of fighting in general, I just recall the song she sang as we fended off the thugs. I don't think I ever felt so invigorated and courageous in my life before. With Nazareen, the tavern owner, and myself as witnesses, we relayed the events at the Guilded Dallah to the guard. Things could have certainly been better, but, they could have been a lot worse.

Our third meeting started a little rocky. I was late, and she suspected it was on purpose. I tried to deflect by asking about the song she sung the day previous, as the subject interested me as a student of the arcane arts. It was because of my studies that I could sense there was something literally magical about it. The following explanation was terse, and I had hoped to hear a more robust explanation, but, it became increasingly apparent it would not come today. The conversation eventually turned back to her own reputation, and the expectations others have of her.

I'm not exactly sure what came over me, but, when she going on about her problems, and said she, herself, was a problem, I just had to refute it. That she was strong, and anybody that would say otherwise is a fool, and can die in a fire for all I care. That if I could lay down my life for her, I would. She admitted she would do the same for me, then spoke of the ring she wore. The ring was once her grandmother's, and with it, found her grandfather, in accordance to the old ways. Perhaps she wore it on our first meeting, but, we met on our own terms, not the terms set by the old ways. I showed that I cared, that I loved her, and for her part, she loved me.

Through the pain, the sadness, the happiness, and the love, we've been inseparable since. My time in this world is closing in on it's finale, and neither of us have any regrets for what we have done, or what we stand for.

--A Mained Lioness--

I've always been treated like some kind of monster. It did not help that I inherited my lycanthropy from my deadbeat dad. As for my mother, she died from the complications of my birth. I was alone, and was treated like dirt. Why should I not act the role they gave me, the role of a monster, then?

I assaulted various caravans for food, and started to gather the respect of a gang of goblins for my efforts. No, let me correct that. They didn't join me out of respect. It was out of fear, and because they knew if they stuck by me, and endless supply of shiny objects would come their way.

One caravan, I happened across a shipment of weapons. Generally speaking, this kind of thing would just go to the goblins to keep them happy, but, there was one item that garnered my interest. A silver rapier. The legends say that a werewolf can only be killed by silver weapons, and things started to click together. I could use this thing to end my suffering, and be free of this damned curse. Once and for all.

Perhaps that is selfish of me, but, is has my life been worth living? I'll killed and murdered to survive, but, can such actions really be forgiven so easily? Yet, at the same time, I still have a fear of death. If there really is a life after death, what if the suffering I bore in life is nothing compared to the suffering I would go through after I die?

Either way, missing shipments usually attract an instigation. That time was no different. My heighten senses were able to tell that it was some kind of leonine. Despite being a killing machine, I'd rather not kill more than is needed. So, I tried scaring her off. Didn't work. She came right at me, and gave me a whopping.

While I'm no stranger to pain, the assault from this leonine's fists packed a punch that I wasn't prepared for. I had no choice but to stand down, and let her do whatever. Which included getting the rapier back to it's original owner. However, it also included something else. Something I never thought I've ever see, or feel.

When she saw that rapier, she put two and two together, and confronted me about it. I admitted that I wanted to use it to kill myself. No reason to lie at this point. I half-expected her to laugh, and give me a poke or five to finish the job. I think I would have even welcomed that. But, no. That's not what happened. She admonished me, saying I'm not the only "freak" in this world, and even decided to tell me of her true nature. That she was born a male, and was taking steps to become the woman she's always felt she should have been.

On that day, we both swore our oaths. For me, I swore to not harm others, especially myself. I swore to be the best damn person I can be, regardless of what others might think. For her part, she swore never to loose that heart of gold, but also know when to apply tough-love.

While we've not met since that day, I still think back on it. Think back to how silly I was, and how the gesture of showing just a little kindness went this long. Perhaps so could say that I'm just looking to be pardoned for my actions of old, and perhaps there is some truth to that. I try not to worry about what others say, or thinking, about me, because that's what landed me in the pit of despair to begin with. Screw those people. I do what I think is right, and that will help others. If that still makes me a "monster", than that's a label I'll wear proudly now.

--Frogge's story--

Bob brushed off the snow from his jacket as he entered the diner. Sal was counting out the register as part of opening procedures, and gave him a brief smile and wave. He responded in kind, and went to the back room, himself.

When he came back out with his uniform and apron on, and punched in, he asked, "The hell is everybody? It's only a couple minutes before we open. Are we really the only two people here?"

Sal rolled her eyes to agree with the complaint, then said, "The manager should be here in a bit. Otherwise, the morning crowd shouldn't be here for another half-hour."

"So, what I'm hearing is, we're gonna be stuck with doing everything for an hour and fifteen."

Sal shrugged to this, then said, "I'm sure the others will still make out to their 40 this week. Somehow. As for me," now with a more sarcastic tone, "I'm one of the lucky ones to be selected to work on Christmas!"

Bob gasped, then said, "Oh, hey, me too!"

They shared a laugh, then went about their tasks. Sal was one of the servers at the diner, while Bob was one of the chefs. Though, it was generally understood that any member of the staff could be called to mind the register, sweep the floor, or to clean off tables on a need-be basis.

Chris, the manager, entered the diner within Sal's prediction, and made a comment about how invigorating it is too see young people so dedicated to their work these days before disappearing into his office. The manager was certainly getting on in years, so, those words could be chalked up to a comment on the work ethic of today versus the work ethic he grew up with. Of course, it was equally possible he was just spouting PR nonsense, as managers are wont to do. Either way, the day was before them, and things were about to get busy.

And busy it was! Customers have a certain holiday spirit that allows them to splurge when they otherwise would not. This is especially true as the day approached noon, which is among the busiest times. The staff is always at maximum capacity then. Even Chris, with his gated limp and cane, helped out making sure the customers were served and happy.

After another harrowing shift, Bob had just punched out, and getting ready to leave. Cathy, one of the servers dropped by, and decided to make a quip, "You know, you don't have to come back. In fact, don't."

Bob tried being sarcastic, "Who died and made you boss?"

"Like I need to explain myself to somebody like you. Just do yourself a favor, an don't come back."

What was this woman's problem? Like, she was fine in front of customers, and that's technically all that counts, but, she's always treated everyone on staff like dirt. Bob noticed Chris in the corner, who placed a finger on his lips to indicate he was observing. Hoping to stay out of trouble, he only responded, "Unless I heard it from Chris, himself, I'm still on the schedule."

She just shrugged it off, with her holier-than-thou attitude towards everything. Bob gave Chris a quick glance before heading out.

--------------------------------------------------

Sal's shift was almost done. Cathy grabbed her shoulder, startling her, then whispered, "Let's go."

"Geeze, how many times have I asked you not to do that!"

The pair went into the back room, Sal shaking her head as they did. As they opened the door, Chris stood there, looking squarely at them. Sal quirked an eyebrow, then looked at Cathy, then looked back at the manager, then followed him into his office. Once sat down, she sighed, and said, "What happened now?"

Chris spoke plainly, "I"m sure both of you are aware of the number of complaints lodged against Cathy. Even if you are from the upper class, and don't enjoy the very concept of doing lower class work, that doesn't give you the right to look down upon those that are doing their jobs, and doing them damn well."

"I only want the best for the daughter of my friend."

Sal snapped, "Friend!? Yeah, in your dreams, maybe!"

Chris held up his hand to diffuse the incoming debate, then said, "I'm speaking as the manager of this diner when I say this. You personal lives are your own business. All I'm asking from you, Cathy, is that there is less friction between you and the other workers. As for you, Sally, you're providing an exemplary example. I was even considering giving you a raise."

This quirked Sal's eyebrows, but, Cathy immediately spoke, "She doesn't need it. She doesn't even need to be here. In fact, you can find yourself another server."

"Excuse me," Sal noted, "I'm an adult. I can speak for myself. Sir, I'm humbled to hear that you're thinking that, and would be more than happy to have a raise."

Cathy rolled her eyes, then said, "We should talk this over when we get home. It's late."

Sal shot daggers at Cathy, but did not pursue the subject further.

Bob stood before an ornate dais, on top of which was a throne. Sitting on it was a princess-type that looked very similar to Sal. She was flanked by an old wizard that kinda looked like Chris, and a heavily armored woman that looked kinda like Cathy?

The woman in armor spoke first, "Your Highness, you have been among the common folk for long enough. Surely, you now know how to go about ruling them?"

The princess shook her head, then said, "The wishes of my late and noble father are still not entirely known to me, or anyone, outside of the Court Wizard. Thus, we must leave the regency in the hands of the Court Wizard until such time that the information regarding the inheritance is known."

The wizard bowed, and said, "While I am of little talent, I will uphold the wishes of the late master as best I can."

Then, armor-lady again, cocky and confident, "Since you are of so little talent, why not just shift the regency to someone more capable? Besides, your health diminishes each year. Can you survive another year?"

The wizard looked at the armored lady hard, then said, "You have no say in this matter. This had been made clear in the beginning."

The soldier laughed, then said, "It would be a shame if the knowledge of who should take on the leadership of this kingdom died with you."

The princess, spoke with clarity and her own cunning, "I had no idea the Knight-Captain would resort to such an empty threat. You must know as well as I that he's not the only person who knows the contents of my late and noble father's will."

The vision faded, with Bob finding himself lying on his bed. He shook his head, shrugging it off. Dreams are weird.

Cathy sipped her coffee, reading the newspaper. After a bit more silence, she flatly spoke, "Chris proposed a raise to Sal the other day."

The man sat still as stone for a moment, then said, "Do you think that actually relates to... the thing?"

"At the time, I just thought he meant a paltry raise at the diner. However, now, I have to wonder that very thing. He's a sneaky bastard when he needs to be."

"So, what's the plan? We don't know what that will contains. For all we know, you won't get anything unless Sal is alive."

"The opposite might also be true, though. That I get everything if she is dead. However, you're right. I shouldn't act on unknown information. On the other hand, my patience is running thin. If I really had nothing to do with it, I'd rather they would have told me up-front. This secrecy implies there must be some benefit to me that they either don't want to admit, or cannot say due to the text of the will."

"You're going to press the issue, then? Is that really smart?"

Cathy sighed, then said, "I've pressed the issue before with no results. I guess I'll just have to push harder now."

Sal had to work on both Christmas and Christmas Eve. Both days had abbreviated hours, which translated to being there from open to close on those days. Cathy was off on Christmas, which was certainly a benefit to the staff that had to work that day. She made it very well known that she'd make things even more difficult for everyone when she came back. Sal wasn't the only one that secretly hoped she wouldn't come back.

She spoke to Chris again about her possible raise. Apparently, he was considering giving raises to others in the diner, but wasn't willing to go into specifics with her. Cathy was technically correct in that Sal didn't need the money. She was more than likely to inherit her father's immense fortune. She also knew he worked damn hard to amass that wealth, and was a figure that demanded respect, as well as gave respect to other hard workers.

As for Cathy, her angle and position in the matter of her father was complicated. She was a secretary for one of the businesses that Sal's father acquired over the years, and they had build something of a rapport with each other. While Sal's father never expressed any romantic interest, Cathy got it into her head that she'd be bound to get something good from Sal's father's estate after he went, and this lead her to becoming the overbearing and insufferable person she had become. However, that expectation might not be entirely without merit, as Cathy helped Sal's father numerable times, and grew that fortune exponentially.

Neither Cathy nor Sal knew when the information concerning the estate would be released. The law firm that Sal's father worked with knew, as they were responsible for putting the paperwork together for him. The executor of the will also knows, and that executor was none other than Chris, the manager of the diner. They were friends, and the diner was one of Sal's fathers many investments. Cathy seemed to want it to fail, even if she helped bring it up, but, Sal often wondered if failing businesses had anything to do with tipping the will in her favor that only she knew about?

Bah. Such thoughts only bring down the holiday spirit. All she can really do right now is to do her best, and just wait. Whatever her father set aside for either Cathy, or herself, was his business.

Christmas Day had come and gone with a flash. Bob was ready to head home and relax for the remainder of the day. He passed by Sal, and noted, "You look beat. But, hey, it's over now. Time to go home, and celebrate! Right?"

She laughed a little, then, "Well, my family's a bit of a mess, but, yeah. I'll be spending time with them."

Bob laughed as well, saying, "Whose family isn't messed up? One of my uncles is this crazy conspiracy theorist, right? His current theory is that the world will end on exactly 2:22am on February 22, 2022."

Sal nodded, then said, "You know, we should really hang out some time."

Bob nodded in agreement. While they were merely coworkers, Sal seemed a pretty cool lady to hang out with. He then noted, "I dunno how well our days off synchronize, but, that sounds pretty cool. Probably going to be after the holidays, though?"

"Yeah, it would. Things are crazy all around."

The Knight-Captain looked hard at the wizard, and asked, "How much longer are we supposed to wait?"

The wizard was as tried as she was from all of this, but, he had a promise to keep, "That information is not to be known by you. What, are you afraid everything will simply vanish overnight?"

"Of course not. That's not the point. The point is, you know the reason for delay, and few others do. How can I not have my suspicions? Do you truly mean well, or are you using this position for your own benefit?"

"My integrity will speak for itself in time."

The Knight-Captain was as furious as she was annoyed, "Damn you, old fool, WHEN!?"

A coy smile from the court wizard, then, "When the time is right, and when the moons are in alignment."

The vision cleared, and Bob found himself lying in bed again. Dreams are weird.

Sal and Bob met in front of the park, exchanging greetings. The layer of snow covering the greenery glistened in the sun, and one could see a few people ice skating on the still-frozen-over pond nearby. They took a stroll around, talking about everything and nothing all at the same time. When they returned to the entrance, they noticed Chris looking over the horizon. Bob spoke up first, "Hey, boss! What are you doing here?"

He turned slowly, facing them, then answered, "Just stopping by for a spell here before going to see an old friend. I don't want to bother you kids no your day off, but, would you mind accompying this old man?"

The two looked at each other, shrugged, then Sal said, "Sure, it's not a problem. Let's go."

Chris nodded, and the trio moved on. As they walked, they passed a few sights Bob was familiar with, and wondered aloud, "Hey, does this friend of yours live in the Holt Apartments, boss?"

Chris nodded again, remarking, "Yes. He moved in maybe a month or two ago, and we've been having brief correspondence since. Our schedules haven't quite aligned for an in-person meeting until today."

"Huh. Funny you say something like that. There's this guy that moved next to me about a month or two ago? Name is Steve. Keeps mostly to himself, but, I help him out with stuff every so often."

Chris laughed, then said, "Yes, that sounds like him!"

The Holt Apartments soon lay before them. There were three buildings. One was the main office, and also served as the living quarters for the superintendent of the complex. Flanking it where a pair of two-story buildings each floor compromising of ten homes/rooms. The sign outside had daily and monthly rates posted, and noting that it had vacancies. The group followed Chris up the stairs on the right building to the home of Steve, and he knocked on the door. The door opened, and the face familiar to Bob greeted them. Sal blinked a few times, then gaped her mouth open, saying, "Dad?"

Steve nodded, saying, "All right. Come inside. I'll explain everything."

Bob was quite familiar with the layout of these rooms: a simple television on the dresser, a pair of beds, a desk in the back, and and a bathroom near the entrance. He was kinda surprised to learn that this guy is Sal's father, but, he was not even close to prepared for what was about to occur in this room.

Steve apologized for the lack of seating, then offered coffee to warm his visitors. When it came time to get down to business, Sal and her father sat on one bed next to each other, while Chris and Bob sat opposite to them. Steve took a deep breath, then started, "I know what you're thinking, Sal. I should be dead. You talked to the doctors, went to my funeral, and everything. I'm sorry I lied, and made people lie to cover up the truth for this long. Perhaps what I did was wrong and selfish, but, I wanted to test what you and Cathy would do after I died. I have heard from Chris about the diner. She helped me set that up twenty years ago, and that she'd have a personal stake in it's success like I have. However, it seems she sees it as little more than a cog in a machine that is designed to make money. She doesn't see the people and livelihoods behind it."

He shook his head, then looked at his daughter, continuing, "You, Sal, however, were willing to work with it. You applied for the server position, even though you could have used influence to land in a higher position."

Steve laughed, then said, "I'm happy that it turned out this way. I'm happy that my daughter has the kindness to put other people before herself. I believe Chris, here, was talking to you about having a raise. How do you feel about being manager of that diner?"

Sal propped her head to one side, quirked an eyebrow, then said, "Manager? Me?"

Chris decided to chime in, "I'm not getting any older. I've been thinking of retiring for years now, but, I've never had a good opportunity. If you like, you can consider this your Christmas bonus."

Bob chuckled to this, but, said nothing, as he largely considered himself an outsider. This business had very little to do with him, but, it also seemed kinda rude to just leave. The attention of Steve and Chris moved to him, with Steve saying, "How about it, assistant manager?"

Bob did a double-take, saying, "What?"

Now it was Sal's turn to laugh. She nodded, then said, "If you won't take assistant manager directly, how about head chef? This is an offer made by your new manager."

Bob wasn't sure if she said that in jest, or if she was actually serious. He put his hands out in front of him, saying, "Whoa, hold up. Just... lemme process all this."

Multiple heads nodded in agreement, with Steve saying, "Yes, you're quite right. This is a lot to take in and think over. While I hope you will accept, I will understand if you do not."

The princess stood up from her throne, the Knight-Captain and court wizard kneeling before her. She raised a hand, and spoke out, "My noble father's will has been made clear. When the time of his passing really comes, I will rule in his stead. Any who question this is a traitor, and will be dealt with in the appropriate manner!"

A grumbling came from the Knight-Captain, of which the princess reacted only with a brief glance downward. She walked gracefully toward Bob, took his hands into hers, and said, "When that time comes, I would like your assistance in various areas of management. These lands are much too bountiful for one person to cover all the matters that may require attention."

Bob nodded, and the words just seemed to flow out, "Sure thing, Sal."

The Knight-Captain rose her head, and shouted, "Such disrespect! Show some manners to your ruler!"

The princess turned only slightly toward the Knight-Captain, and said, "You should talk. Indeed, would you show me any respect if my noble father's will said that you would be in charge?"

The princess didn't bother waiting for a response. Everybody present already knew the answer to that question. Instead, she turned back to Bob, and said, "There is also the matter of," she paused, blushed hard, and said, "producing an heir."

Bob woke up, sharply rising from his bed in a cold sweat. His bearings gathering, looking around at the familiar surroundings, he flopped back down in relief. Dreams are weird.

The news of Steve actually being alive eventually got to Cathy. The following temper tantrum made the rounds on local, state, and even national news agencies, each with their own embellishing. The story of how she was 'wronged' was in the public eye, and garnered her a few book deals before the public interest grew bored, and latched onto the next juicy story, scam, or whatever. Such is the way of things.

Sal did, actually, become manager of the diner, and managed other holdings for her father. While she was the heiress to his massive fortunes, she didn't let the money get to her head, and it remained solidly on her shoulders.

Chris officially retired, and lived with one of his grandchildren for about two years before passing on. His funeral was attended by Steve, Sal, Bob, as well as a few workers from the diner. Steve made a rousing eulogy of his own during the wake, speaking about how he'd miss one of his dearest friends.

While Bob didn't have the title of assistant manager, being head chef meant that he could dictate the hours of those on kitchen duty. His friendship with Sal grew over time, and talk of marriage was a way for staff to make friendly jabs at them. Chris' death hit them both pretty hard. However, they did, eventually tie the knot.

Every so often, Bob would still have his dreams of the Knight-Captain and the princess, but, they became more vague as time progressed. As if to parallel this, Cathy became less and less a presence in their lives. Whatever she tried to do to overtake Sal, and her position, never amounted to anything, even at the very height of her popularity. It was, he'd have to admit to himself, something of a relief to stop hearing from Cathy, and stop having those weird-ass dreams.
Marrend
Addded the LP of Heroes 3, but, I also wanted to add a bit of dream relay too. This was a pretty funky one too, and feel I should share it, somewhere even if nobody reads this thread.

So, I was part of some colony of individuals, and our group was the last, best hope to save humanity as we knew it. I was kinda new to the community, and today I was to be introduced to their leader.

This leader was somebody I knew/recognized, but, I don't have a name associated with that person. The only other thing I can recall is that I asked a rather peculiar question of that leader.

"It's said I can do anything. So, what should I do?"

There was quite a bit of wait-time before a response came, and that response was to ban me from the community. I kinda shrugged and got up to leave, and there was a gaggle of people trying to change the leader's mind, to no avail. My thoughts were that I could probably make their plight easier, if I really wanted to, but, I guess whatever the leader wanted or desired had nothing to do with my involvement.

Pages: first prev 123 last