ADVICE FIR CRAETIBG A COSTOM MENU FOR 2K3

Pages: 1
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
I decided to finally get around to making my own Menu screens for a skill learning system. It will be you're simple skill tree where you spend points to learn new spells and abilities, nothing mind-blowing.

I have the basics on how to do it... I think. I just need some advice on the best way to go about it. Specifically how to show the number of skill points each character has. You know weather pictures or sprites are better to use, or it theirs a better way of doing it, stuff like that.

Oh and just to make things more annoying let's do it in 2K3 too.

Thank you in advance.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Displaying numbers? Pictures and modulo. Only way without using patches like DynRPG.
masterofmayhem
Well fortunately I'm using DynRPG anyway.
For numbers and text, I use events and Move Event's Change Graphics command. This allows far more than 50 characters on screen at the same time.

That's without using patches. However, I understand that there are some patches which allow picture changing by variable and increasing the allowed picture maximum. This would be the better choice. It would be even be easy to create a customized text display using such patches.
To show the numbers (as well as any text associated with the cms) there are generally three approaches.

1. Using lot's of branches and picture commands.
2. Using the Picture Pointer Patch to open specific pictures, by applying a patch
3. Using the DynText Plugin

Out of these, Using the DynText Plugin is probably the most convenient, as it will very easily allow you to write text and numbers to anywhere on the screen, which are both stuff you'll need for the CMS. This way you can avoid having to make tons of pictures for your menu as well, which is unavoidable in any other solution.
Problem is that you're stuck to font used in the engine, and the font size is also constant (if you for whatever reason would like it in any other size)
masterofmayhem
Thank you Kazesui! That's exactly what I was looking for. I tip my hat to you and the Dyn guys.
Pages: 1