WYRM WARRIORS! DESIGN A CHARACTER!

author=Isrieri
He must have magicked all their melons into monsters or something. Maybe all melons are just the magical ingredient needed to birth horrifying demons from the pits of hell.

Make this a plot point pls.
Working on another one, if it isn't too late.

Naalak the Summoner

Male

...just kidding. Age unknown.

A hermit from The Wastes, recently emerged to deal with the impending threat of the Wyrm Wizard. His true motives in this are known only to himself. Some believe his purpose is to rid the land of an evil power; others assume that Naalak aims to take the Wyrm Wizard's power for his own benefit.

Although the source of his power is a mystery to all but himself, it is thought that Naalak has a deep affinity with the darkness.

Weapon: Staves & Wands. And orbs. And Minions. Those are weapons, right?
Armor: Mystic

Skill Pools: Summoning(?), Illusion, Dark

Class: Summoner

Stats: High Skill, High Magic, High Barrier; Low Health, Very Low Standard Attack

Focus: Minions DoT via Ancient and Unrestful Spirits(?) and Mind Control

Victory: "As you've seen for yourself, indecision breeds ruination."

Item Drop: "Let me examine that more closely."

Level Up: "I am become a font of power. Look upon me and wonder!"

Open a Chest: "These are mere trinkets -- the true power resides in applied knowledge!"

Battle Start: "First you shall witness the culmination of my wisdom, burned in the crucible of the ages. Then... you shall die." | "Minions, stand to! Protect me!"

Inn: "Sleep is for the dead. I shall redeem my time in study and reflection."

Final Battle: "Abomination of the ages, stand and face your end!"

Note: Not sure the picture for this guy is right, but the pickin's are gettin' slim.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Isrieri
Aw I'm too late. There's already a billion characters. :(

I've got to wonder what this Wyrm Wizard did to incur the wrath of so many people that vary so much in their walks of life. He must have magicked all their melons into monsters or something. Maybe all melons are just the magical ingredient needed to birth horrifying demons from the pits of hell. Because they're mostly water. Makes perfect sense. To a Wyrm Wizard!

I have to go back and read all these bios when I find more time. I only just stumbled on this tonight.

There are ~sixteen graphics available still on Nayuki's site! THE MORE THE MERRIER. Consider all deadlines for characters lifted, because I'm working slower than anticipated anyway. This will be going on for a week or so at least, probably, for a "first draft" of the game (so that everybody can play it and then talk about how to expand/improve/refine the project from there).

Re: Melons.... ...... .. ....... hmm.

Shades: I was hoping somebody would use that guy, he's cute XD (And who says ancient desert summoners can't look good?) Not sure if I can make legit summoning work in this game, though. The "skillsets"/"skill pools" in the first post are the categories that every character pulls from. Although each Wyrm Warrior will wind up with 1-2 unique skills, summoning minions would be a lot of work for a single character. So, I'm not going to add Naalak to the master list until you say that it's okay for the summoning to be more a naming scheme than a unique mechanic, or you decide to change up his abilities a bit.

("Illusion" gives me a good idea of what sort of skills to give him, though, so that can stay. You're not the first to put more abstract listings down for skillsets, but most are easy to connect to pre-existing abilities. Also, a background as a desert summoner is fine; I'm only talking about battle mechanics. I just don't want to make Naalak in the game and then have you be disappointed, is all.)

Lantwese the Thief

Name: Lantwese
Description: Born among slum denizens, Lantwese grew up working the land around her father's manor. She was sweet, kindhearted and hard-working, as well as being an independent woman. In her youth, her mistrust for the government grew and she joined the Thieves Guild via referral from a friend. Lantwese's true first love in her adolescent years passed away in a tragic mill accident. Through the bitterness, Lantwese's distaste for political dishonesty combined with a growing avarice lead her to become the competent thief she is today.

Lantwese (23yo) is the splitting image of Weylin (14yo) by reason of great cosmic coincidence. Weylin, several months before the game has started, inadvertently sets the lair of a huge group of evil cultists on fire, as is predicted of him. Now as the rumours spread, he is lauded as some kind of village hero, having burnt down the HQ of the evil guys that had plagued them for so many years before.

Now we come to Ms. Lantwese, who being a con artist, chooses to con people out of their money by offering door-to-door insurance policies from "the hero Weylin". Weylin can save you from the possibility of hideous monsters invading and reaping your crop, for only a monthly fee of 99.99 gp, all rights reserved. So, that happens. And then she buggers off. Every. Single. Time.
Other: She is a talented encourager. Her mother died giving birth to her.

Class: Thief
Stats: High agility, low health and magic. High critical rate.
Weapon(s): Daggers
Armor: Light leather
Skillsets: Shadow
Focus: Quick attacks and stealing

-Victory - "Good, it's done." | "Nice job. Now let's leave before we are seen."
-Item drop screen - "Here lie the spoils."
-Leveling up - "Strength comes from within." | "I feel... quicker."
-Opening a chest - "I could have used a lockpick to open this."
-Starting battle (high HP) - "You stand no chance." | "Don't worry, you won't feel a thing."
-Starting battle (low HP) - "I'm too weak for this."
-Staying at an inn - "Don't snore."
-Before final battle with the Wyrm Wizard - "The greater the Wyrm Wizard, the louder the fall."
Craze
Shades: I was hoping somebody would use that guy, he's cute XD (And who says ancient desert summoners can't look good?) Not sure if I can make legit summoning work in this game, though. The "skillsets"/"skill pools" in the first post are the categories that every character pulls from. Although each Wyrm Warrior will wind up with 1-2 unique skills, summoning minions would be a lot of work for a single character. So, I'm not going to add Naalak to the master list until you say that it's okay for the summoning to be more a naming scheme than a unique mechanic, or you decide to change up his abilities a bit.

Yeah, I figured the summoning might be problematic, at least on a two day time table. I have an idea of how to make it possible (basically by treating summonable creatures as temporary PCs), but I'm thinking for the sake of simplicity we can make the 'summons' be spell effects that last a few turns and then go away. If that sounds too broken, say the word and I'll figure out another skill focus for him. :)

If it comes down to it, maybe we can replace the Summoning with Storm. Either that or (going with the above idea) assume that he's summoning ancient spirits as allies and have it be Dark magic. Whatever makes sense; I'm flexible.

Hopefully I can still keep the 'minion' schtick by way of his mind control abilities (part of the Illusion). I'm pretty sure it's fairly easy to make a charm effect that causes enemies to fight their own dudes for a while.

Oh, and yeah... ancient desert summoners with as much power as this guy claims ought to be able to keep themselves looking good for the ladies, true!
unity
You're magical to me.

Kathleen the Priestess

Name: Kathleen
Description: One of the sixteen priestesses of Cherusalas, the god of love, Kyleen left the holy city of Cherusta to aid those who fight against the Wyrm Wizard. Believes in the power of true love over all else, and strives to preach the healing warmth that compassion can bring.

Other: Despite her conviction in the power of love, she hasn't found her soul-mate yet, and is searching for her perfect man or woman (she's bi, by the way)

Class: Priestess
Stats: Very high healing, high magic and barrier, low defense and speed

Weapon(s): Axe, Bow, Claw
Armor: Mystic
Skillsets: Healing, Fire
Focus: Area-healing and HP and SP drain spells.

-Victory "Ah, victory's warm embrace!" "Love conquers all!" "My passionate spirit burns inside me!"
-Item drop screen "They left us something? I didn't know they cared."
-Leveling up "My bond with others strengthens me." "My spiritual heart grew a size larger!"
-Opening a chest "Was someone thinking of me when they put this here?"
-Starting battle (high HP) "I will prove my love to all of you!" "Love your enemies. Even if it kills them."
-Starting battle (low HP)"Cherusalas, see me through this trial!"
-Staying at an inn "The night is for lovers. ...But I really need some sleep."
-Before final battle with the Wyrm Wizard "You cold, unfeeling monster! Do you have any idea how much love you have robbed from the world!?"

Craze
Added Naalak, Lantwese and Kathleen to the master list. Shades, I can do my best with a deserty/spirity theme, and yeah, mind control is fine.

thatbennyguy, any way you and Byah could connect Weylin and Lantwese somehow? Maybe brother/sister or something, and Lantwese is just conveniently short? XD They're just a bit too similar-looking to not have anything between them, even if they're not close.

in terms of gam mak, been working on everybody's two unique passives. yay code?

unity
You're magical to me.
I'm pretty code-dumb so I don't know what all of this means, but it looks really cool! I'm guessing that damage-dealing is affected when certain conditions are met?
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
I'm learning about code in school so I should probably try and learn how Ruby works. Already I appreciate how you may use "==" to equate strings instead of a method. I'm cracking up at the Ignition ability. I sense great fun to be had with it.
author=Craze
Goldenified it! And Rackward's new sprite is in. =)

If anybody knows of/wants to make a windowskin for the game, that'd be lovely. And feel free to add in more characters and/or ideas for places to visit. There's no way in hell I'll have a quality finished project done in <1.5 days, but I'm more than willing to keep working on this. (And, like I said earlier, I'll release all that IS done once DO SOMETHING is over.) What that means is that there's room for input!

Looks better now!
B-but how will you stay motivated once the challenge is over?!?

Regarding Lantwese: She could be Weylins elder sister (while somehow looking like she's 14 too :X), or maybe cousin, if you don't wanna change the dead mom part.
Him being her secret twin (birthing two kids was just too much) that got stuck in a time vortex at the age of 14 is, of course, the most sensible solution.
Craze
I have plans to let you guys help me stay motivated ;)

(But seriously. I'm going to put together about a topic a week for people to help design parts of the game, with periodic releases of what I've done for people to fiddle with and comment on. I don't mean for this to be a terribly long project, so that should also help. About 5-6 weeks should do it if we're going to do it right as a community.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My suggestion for Lantwese and Weylin:

A few months ago, Weylin inadvertently became a local hero when he set fire to an abandoned building that happened to be used as a hideout by insane evil cultists.

Lantwese, as a con artist, has been disguising herself as Weylin and impersonating him in order to scam people out of their money. The thieves' guild targets someone and robs them on the streets, and then she introduces herself to the victim as a known hero and offers to recover what was stolen for an additional payment. And then they never see her again.

Do thatbennyguy and Byah like this backstory? It connects them in a way that's a little more interesting than bro/sis, and also I think makes more sense than two siblings of opposite genders who are eight years apart looking identical.
If you need motivation, I could issue a personal Game-Off challenge. In fact... That might be a neat idea for a future event.
People sign up, brackets are formed and games are started. Those who drop out or 'lose' against their opponent* are forced to, idk, have an avatar that's the equivalent of saying "I am not smarter than a fifth grader" for as long as the event lasts.
Winners of brackets move up the tournament until there's only two left. Then the final battle between best game wins.

*I'm thinking after x amount of time demos are released to the public and they get to vote which is the best game of the two, the one they'd want to see completed most. There'd still be prizes for those who end up with a completed game, though.

Not right now - we probably need a small break from events. Don't want to burn everyone out and this promises to be a small community event thing without the stress of actually building the game on anyone (excepting yourself, of course, Craze).
Hm, that sounds interesting Liberty! So it would be like there are 1 week checkpoints between demos for developers to 'game-off' against?

If you were to set it up it would probably be a good idea to have, like, a few days before the contest actually begins so people can get ready with their teams.
author=Arandomgamemaker
Hm, that sounds interesting Liberty! So it would be like there are 1 week checkpoints between demos for developers to 'game-off' against?

If you were to set it up it would probably be a good idea to have, like, a few days before the contest actually begins so people can get ready with their teams.

Most likely at least a week between demos. And yes, more time for sorting things out before the event begins. This challenge was basically just to keep everyone on their toes and challenge themselves with what time they have to use.
author=LockeZ
My suggestion for Lantwese and Weylin:

A few months ago, Weylin inadvertently became a local hero when he set fire to an abandoned building that happened to be used as a hideout by insane evil cultists.

Lantwese, as a con artist, has been disguising herself as Weylin and impersonating him in order to scam people out of their money. The thieves' guild targets someone and robs them on the streets, and then she introduces herself to the victim as a known hero and offers to recover what was stolen for an additional payment. And then they never see her again.

Do thatbennyguy and Byah like this backstory? It connects them in a way that's a little more interesting than bro/sis, and also I think makes more sense than two siblings of opposite genders who are eight years apart looking identical.

Really like this (not as much as him being stuck in a time vortex for 9 years, but it's close!).
Changed Weylin's story already, since it's good even without Lantwese's imposter part.

That sounds fun, Liberty, I'd definitely participate in that event.
Craze
MY DO SOMETHING TIME SLOT IS OVER... WHAT HAVE I DONE?????
  • Put every current character in the database except their full bio (which I need to clean up the code for displaying) and their skill progression
  • Compiled all the character sprites into four charsets; named and organized other misc. graphics
  • Written code that allows for certain script calls to be used within damage formulas (i.e. phys(a, b, 1.2) would spit out 120% attack damage between a and b, including any effects from passives)
  • Coded about half of the passive abilities characters have to make them more unique
  • Redesigned the main menu (and some other displays) to better accommodate this game's needs
  • ENJOYED WORKiNG WITH YOu ALL D'AWWWWWWWWWW

What I plan to have done by around this time next week:
  • A full database of skills, inc. having them distributed to characters
  • A playable training room uploaded for people to screw around with the cast
  • All, or almost all, of the characters' quips put into the game (when opening chests, etc.)
  • A topic set up to let people discuss various places to visit in the game world (with structure/templates like this thread)
  • Having Lee Pace propose to me
unity
You're magical to me.
Thank you very much for all of your hard work! :D You're seriously an inspiration!
Definitely a little more ambitious than the original vision, I think! Looking forward to seeing how this sucker shapes up.
Craze
UPRC
Definitely a little more ambitious than the original vision, I think! Looking forward to seeing how this sucker shapes up.

I still plan for it to be small, but yeah, I guess. People just liked the idea so much that it felt wrong to rush out in two days, so I started focusing on quality instead of shitting something out. =)