ALEXELS

Pages: first prev 123 last
Thank you :) I do try to do a lot of different coloring and texturing styles, since I don't really find as much joy in animating as everybody else does, so this is my way of exploring the art.
so much detail ;__;

Hey Alex, do you have a time estimate for making each vehicle and each character? For the huge vehicles especially it feels like it'd take forever and a half to get them done!

And if you don't mind me asking, do you do a lot of research to get the visual concept of what you're making? Like for the broken truck, those fiddly parts on the inside don't look like the work of someone vaguely winging it (like I usually do) :''')

As Max said your stuff is awesome, and you're definitely one of the artists I look up to. Also, Blood Alloy looks amazing, congrats to the team on the Steam Greenlight!
Hey accha! (man I haven't spoken to you since forever. I'm terrible orz)

The time taken on my stuff depends a lot on how complex the poses of the characters are or how difficult the textures on some objects are, and such. Sometimes textures that ostensibly seem simple enough IRL can be a huge pain to illustrate with a few colors in pixels. But I'd like to think my speed has been improving a little. For the latest pieces I posted, the aliens each only took me about an hour or so. It's honestly just 2 aliens, with one being reskinned/retextured into 2 other variations.

As for the crane, that one didn't take very long. I just took a picture from Google, redesigned it a little, mostly adding more edges to make it look more scifi-ish, and projected it onto the perspective of GAMVERSE where everything appears parallel no matter the distance between them and the vision origin. 4 hours at best.

The truck was a real pain. It's a collidable piece of geometry, so I had to make sure while looking decent it also had to stay inside a box and not have any significant bump (due to a core mechanic of the game). So I had to design (I say design but really it's rather elementary basic) the truck on paper, get a half-finished version of the truck in its original state in pixels, and then start "beating it up". That involves Googling for car-casses (HAH!) to see how external impacts affect the metal frames of vehicles (like the way they bend, squeeze and leave sharp scars upon impact), and how windshields made of thick glass break (this was especially important). And then there's a little bit of research on what mechanical parts go into the head of a truck. But honestly those are just vague illustrations of the real stuff and I wasn't gonna drive myself insane by digging any deeper on the way those things are usually damaged.

So yeah, I guess that's quite a bit of work orz but it turned out quite okay. Took me an entire day of work so I'd say about 10 hours or so. The cool thing (maybe) about doing mechanicals or machinery is that they ALWAYS reward you handsomely by looking really good if you work on them methodically. I'd say they generally look a lot better than what you think your skills are at most of the time.

But anyway, thanks for the kind words accha. You are a very talented artist too so I'm definitely honored! Please stay awesome yourself.

Edit: wow I sure was rambling
Bahaha same here, long time no talk *also horrible

I'm really impressed by your process ;w; Your speed is already incredible by my standards (takes maybe 2~4 hours for a simple sprite?), but I'll wish you luck in improving =w=)b

Your explanation has helped me figure out some key things I need to be aware of / learn more (like practicing textures and doing much more research, for one...) so thank you for going into detail on this, I appreciate it ;w; And thank you for the kind words as well.
Wow that's some great pixel art!
Photo study. Is it just me or the leaf on the right seems a bit off?

sinn
the original sinn
Some crazy work right here, care to explain your process?
Ahhhh I remember seeing that rose on PJ, it's so stunning! So crisp and clean, I can look at it all damn day
Ahaha thanks for the kind words, though I'm actually not too happy with how that one turned out myself.
Even more Blood Alloy stuff

Sectoid and Floater from XCOM: Enemy Unknown. I absolutely LOVE the alien designs in this game. Very distinctive and ... extraterrestrial down to the silhouettes.

Something I did for the Pixel Dailies challenge on Twitter. For those who don't know the reference, this is a mock screenshot of an Alien Analysis screen if I were remaking X-Com. This was done in a pseudo- X-Com Terror from the Deep style.

BOY DOES IT SMELL LIKE ANCIENT HISTORY IN HERE

As you may have realized, I took some time (approximately 2 years LOL) off pixel art and gamedev in general (as in not actively involved in any game projects, or any communities at all). So there's not that much to say. I don't regret taking the time off at all, since I've learned a whole bunch of new things and dare I say new perspectives. But nonetheless, I'm glad to say now I'm slowly getting back to my grooves.

Not much new to show since my last post in this thread, but here are a few amongst the VERY FEW things I've made in the past 2 years or so.

Also, I'm opening commission on Fiverr. So if you're interested in my art and would like me to draw something, feel free to hit me up!
https://www.fiverr.com/alexchristin/draw-you-a-pixel-icon-of-whatever-you-fancy

Pages: first prev 123 last