YS SERIES

Pages: first 12 next last

author=Wikipedia
Ys is a Japanese hack & slash RPG series, and Nihon Falcom corporation's flagship franchise. In terms of the number of game releases, Ys is second only to Final Fantasy as the largest Eastern RPG series.The first game of the series was released in early 1988 by Falcom. Ys series was originally solely for Japanese audience. It wasn't until 2003 when Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim came out that Ys was known by the Western audience (actually, the rest of the world).

The Ys series chronicles the adventures of Adol Christin, a young man with a zest for adventure and an uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time. Gameplay usually revolves around Adol, though his comrade, Dogi, is a frequent companion in his travels. Thus far, Adol has visited the regions of Esteria, Ys, Celceta, Felghana, Xandria, the Canaan Islands, and Altago. Among which, Celceta is the place where the upcoming Ys title on PS Vita Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta takes place in (obviously).

I have been a big fan of it or Nihon Falcom in general ever since childhood (or at least I usually claim to be) that Adol is basically my hero even until this day :<

I beat Ys I&II Chronicles+ (available on Steam along with Felghana and Origin) a couple of weeks ago, and wrote an article about the (bad) design decisions in it, being a remake of an ancient 1985 game, if you're interested!

Anybody else also a fan of this series? :D
I had Wanderers from Ys on snes, and it was an okay game that sort of pales in comparison to some of the giants in the action/adventure genre that were out around the same time. I went back and tried to play the first one and couldn't get into it, mainly because of the wonky combat system. But, man, that series has some great music.
It's pretty unfortunate that the first Ys title you played was Wanderers from Ys as it's usually regarded as the bastard child in the Ys series (although not very surprising as the series wasn't really widely known in the West up until recently).

And yeah the bumping system in older Ys games is a bit stupid and weird under the modern perspective, and takes a fair amount of adapting to. But at the time I think it was rather revolutionary as it opened quite a new dimension to combat (which for some reason Falcom did not decide to expand intensively on unfortunately).

And YES, one of its best selling points is indeed the music. I don't even know where to begin about that ._.
I'm a huge Falcom fan. Though it's more of a thing I enjoy by myself than with others due to the relative niche/stuck in japan-ness of the games and company. AKA No one knows what I'm talking about when I mention it.

I've played a lot of the Ys Series and I'd have to say that my favorite would have to be a tie between Oath in Felghana and Origin. The Ys6 Engine was probably one of the best engines in the series and I was disappointed that they didn't squeeze one more game out of it instead of moving to the Seven/Celceta engine. Not to say the latter engine is bad. But I miss the crazy platforming in combination with the hectic action!

I hope Ys 8 brings platforming back. That aspect of Ys 6-Origin was always a treat to me, and it got better with each installment.
Skie my bro ;_;

GO PLAY ENGLISH ORIGIN NAO

Man I was actually planning to make an Ys fangame until recently

when it dawned on me that thanks to Celceta the series is in fact getting a whole lot more attention in the Western Market. That's why I decided to scrap it as the sole reason I started the project was to help it gain more awareness.

Oh well, it was fun researching about the fall of the ancient Eldeen civilization and THE CONSPIRACY OF THE FACT HOUSE (dun dun dun suck it who told you to play the Japanese version of Origin)
This isn't the first thread about Ys.
As Skie said Falcom games appeal to a very small niche audience, which is sad because they are one of the few Japanese developers who still make addictive, cleverly-designed games out of passion and fan service, worthy of respect, with little concern for THE MONEY.
As past threads have shown, most RMNers don't seem interested in the series.

Ys has greatly inspired my tastes and opinions about game design.
As a tribute I've been adding to Crystalis features inspired by the newer Ys games. The current redesign will include even more similarities.
I did search around a bit but couldn't find any substantial thread solely about Ys so I made this :<

And yes very much the same goes for me too. Even though most of the designs in the series didn't get anywhere near decent pretty much until Felghana, I enjoyed the process of breaking down my favorite games and studying the design decisions.

I just hope people who are into JRPGs in general will probably take some interests in this series as well. But so far I've only succeeded with Nessy :<
Only because Adol has a nice ass.
Hey, hey! I bought Origins and I thought it was pretty fun at that. Sadly, not enough time to play or money to buy more, but I liked what was there. Not my usual cup of tea, but enjoyable.
author=Archeia_Nessiah
Only because Adol has a nice ass.

... I still have this >_>;
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I bought I+II during the winter steam sale, but risk of rain takes precedence sooooo... I'll play 'em eventually

Nice soundtracks, though. Always liked them.
You can count me as another whose introduction to the series was Wanderers from Ys on the SNES. I've been thinking about getting into the rest of the series lately though, given what I've picked up about it on tvtropes.

Wanderers from Ys, by the way, out of all the games I've owned, holds the spot for "easiest game in which to reach max level." I figured this one out when I was still a kid; on the second screen with encounters in the game, there's a spot where flying insects will continually stream out in a straight line. Stand below their line of flight, and either use a turbo controller or simply weight down the buttons for Adol's rapid upwards attack. Turn off the television, go find something else to do. By the next morning, you'll be maximum level.

There are plenty of other opportunities, even early in the game, to hit max level faster than this, but this method is the most effortless.
unity
You're magical to me.
I played The Ark of Napishtim and enjoyed it quite a bit. I should play another game in the series at some point.

author=EvilEagles
... I still have this >_>;

STRIP!
Even though it's the Zelda 2 and Snake's Revenge of Ys, I still like Wanderers from Ys III for the SNES. I used to play it all the time. One of the big pluses was the fact that I could beat it (experience the whole game and it's music) in 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Otherwise, I played a translated ROM for the NES Ys 2, and that's it :( I should get with the times.
I had heard of the Ys series long ago, but never had given much thought to actually playing it, or actively searching it out. I bought Ys I + II during the winter steam sale and played the shit out of Ys I.

The bumping system took some getting used to, and I had to consult a walkthrough at one point because apparently I'm retarded, but otherwise it was a fun time. And the music kicked ass too.

I started up Ys II and played it for 20 minutes or so, before deciding that I'd come back to it later, it seemed like the second game didn't add much to the first in terms of mechanics, so it seemed kind of samey.

While I didn't have much issue with labyrinthine dungeons, I was disappointed that I hit max level so quickly, and also that the silver sword was hidden, and it wasn't until mashing my face against that bat boss for dozens of attempts doing minimum damage with a long sword to him that I gave up and looked at a walkthrough. After that, though, it seemed like I spent the second half of the game at max level with the best gear, so there wasn't much in terms of character growth going on.

I feel like I missed out on this when I was little, but it's too outdated for me to properly enjoy now. :(
Ys 1 on Sega Master System was my first action RPG. It was nowhere near the best version of that game, but it got me hooked. I later got Ys 3 on Genesis, that FM soundtrack was absolutely killer. I've played all of them (except for Origin and Celceta) since then. I love them all in their own ways, but I think Oath in Felghana may be my favorite. Especially because you can enable the original OST!

I really want to play Celceta, but I don't have a Vita.

Anybody check out AGTP's translation of Ys 5 that came out last month?

http://agtp.romhack.net
I missed out on it while in my youth, but started watching the longplay of Book 1 (produced on the PC Engine):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZzNAj-xDw&feature=youtube

Quite impressive so far.
I highly recommend Ys 1&2 on Steam. It's the best version, but the PCEngine release comes in close second.
The only Ys that was released in my country on a non-handheld is Ys Ark of Napishtim. And that one was awesome. Liked it much better than Zelda.
Pages: first 12 next last