WYRM WARRIORS! DESIGN A LOCATION!

Pages: first 1234 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
So now that I've attacked towns in another topic, let's add some towns and other places to visit to WYRM WARRIORS!

This is going to run a lot like the "design your character(s)" topic, where you can submit a location using the template below. BUT! Before anything goes onto the master list, we're going to discuss it. Nothing will be put onto the master list until it has been ~24 hours since it was posted, and people have had time to suggest changes and build upon it further.

Why the more peer-reviewed style this time? Mostly because while the game can handle a lot of warriors given how free-form the plot is ("kill the Wyrm Wizard"), locations require maps, NPCs, decorations, etc. which all adds to increased time spent developing them in the editor, and more playing time spent in them. If the player doesn't really like Daji or Andri, they can ignore them. If the player doesn't really like the biggest city, then we have a serious problem! We also don't want the game to get too long, so having thirty towns would be insane.

I'm going to put a soft cap down right now of three villages, four towns, and two cities. Let's also say no more than twelve "other" locations. Also, please remember that poor ol' Craze is mapping these with the RTP. If you want a three-story-tall statue of Tolvinari in your location, you're gonna sprite that yourself and send it to me.
Also, major: WE ARE NOT DOING DUNGEONS YET. You might mention a dungeon related to the town, but those are the next topic!

Like before, I'll try to put up progress updates in this topic. I took a few days off from finishing Czarina Must Die/the DO SOMETHING event to cool down, but I'm gonna start working again starting now!

Template for settlements (villages/towns/cities):
Name:
Type: Village, town or city
Biome: Desert, plains, forest, mountain, tundra, arctic
Character tie-ins: Any characters that were born here, have a backstory related to here, etc. If they're not your character, please PM the character's creator to come in and approve/tweak the addition!
Districts: If it is a city, it should have three main districts to visit. Town/villages ignore this
Notable features: Temples, rivers, village elders, etc. etc. etc.
Description/other details: Put some effort into this, people!

Template for other locations:
Name:
Type: Is it a waterfall? A small shrine? A monster-less cave?
Biome: Desert, plains, forest, mountain, tundra, arctic
Character tie-ins: Any characters that were born here, have a backstory related to here, etc. If they're not your character, please PM the character's creator to come in and approve/tweak the addition!
Relevance: Why is this part of our country of Aremen? Has the Wyrm Wizard affected it? Is there a great treasure here for those who can pass the keeper's trial? And so forth.
Description/other details: Put some effort into this, people!

Name: Monster City
Type: A monster-ful settlement within a forest, with the houses being caves in the ground.
Biome: Forest
Character tie-ins: Anna the Nature Mage likes to hang around here.

Relevance: The Wyrm Wizard has stolen all of the slime gear from the town, not to mention kidnapping most of the citizens.

Description/other details: Most of the caves center around a central hub, where all of the activity in the town takes place. With the exception of where the Slime King resides, which is to the far north of the town.

The town is right next to a mountain range, within a deep forest. There is a river running through the heart of the city.

The inhabitants of the city are all different types of monsters, including slimes and skeletons. They are all friendly, though.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Name: The Sludge Dam
Type: Town
Biome: Wasteland, with a river of green slime running through the middle of the city (palette swap of lava should work perfectly since it has bubbles)
Notable features: The sludge river is pretty wide and runs through the middle of the town. The dam itself is a massive stone structure that staves off the sludge river. It can be walked across like a bridge, and also entered by some stairs leading down from the top of it.
Description: The sludge river flows out of the Wyrm Wizard's evil lands. This dam was built to keep the toxic slime from flowing into human lands. Some buildings are on either side of the sludge river and you can walk across the top of the dam to travel from one side to the other. On top of the dam are some lookout guards, maybe some cannons or ballistae, and I'm thinking possibly a hot dog stand. You can also enter the dam and there is some machinery and maybe a shop inside. Most of the people living in this town are either engineers working on the dam or druids trying to revitalize the land.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
here have another

Name: Tortura Island (the level 2 version of Tortuga Island)
Type: Village
Biome: Tropical Island
Character Tie-Ins: A few former members of Rackward's old pirate crew use this island as their hideout. They are not on friendly terms with him, having unsuccessfully attempted mutiny because they felt they weren't getting their fair share. He left them stranded on a tiny island, but they somehow survived (each of them telling a different story as to how). Rackward would prefer that the rest of the party not know about his past life as a pirate; this is where they learn it anyway.
Notable Features: An outdoor cantina, the Sun-Kissed Minnow, is the central feature of the village. In fact, there's not much else to it except an inn, a couple of shacks and some fishermen. One of the shacks is the hideout of Rackward's former crew members.
Description: Wooden platforms raised above the water like docks and connected to each-other make up a large part of the village, or maybe all of it. All the "shops" are actually patrons at the cantina.
@ARG
I like this idea! My only problem is that it might look a little dull outside the houses. Is there anything beyond the central and the Slime King's place?

@LockeZ It'd be interesting if there was some kind of reoccurring thing with hot dog stands since you mentioned it. It'd probably add a little more charm to what sounds like a kind of ugly place. I like Tortuga Island too, it seems like it'd be a really fun place to explore. My character having a tie-in with Rackward might've helped maybe~
LockeZ
I mostly just thought of a hot dog stand because, you know, toxic sludge. Main ingredient in hot dogs. Of course, I don't actually know if the Modern RTP has a hot dog stand or if Craze even has that RTP set.

Gourd, if you want your character to have a tie-in with mine in this town, I'm fine with that, just post whatever you have in mind.
Oh, I got it. Belladonne was a babbysitter for Rackward's crew, then she fled. But maybe she missed her friends in the pirate crew (among the people in Tortura Island) and decided to visit it for old time's sake. She sees Rackward and attempts to turn Rackward in here (relationship problems maybe? She DOES have friends with the traitors of sorts.) but the party stops her and she joins after learning of their quest and getting over her problems with Rackward.

Also I'll make a location soon I think. Just not right now.
unity
You're magical to me.
City of Cherusta

This got a little long so I'll put it under here:

Name: Cherusta

Type: City

Biome: Plains, with forests to the east

Character tie-ins: Kathleen, Leigh and Hazel (and any others that work :D )

Districts: Holy District, Government District, Commercial District

Notable features:

Tower of Cherusalas, dedicated to the God of Love (in the Holy District, and where Kathleen comes from): The tower is the largest building in the city, and the oldest as well. It's located in the center of the city and can be accessed just as you enter the Holy District. Sixteen priestesses live here and keep everything in order. Despite the city being named after Cherusalas, most of the citizens have converted to worshiping Tovinari, leaving few visitors that actually come to the tower for worship. Weddings are often held here, however, and some of the priestesses are on hand to give couples advice about love.

Saint Sloan Hospital with attached medical school: (Government District, where Hazel comes from) The healers at Saint Sloan are said to be able to cure just about anything, even if the need is cosmetic. Many of the continent's healers and doctors come from the attached Saint Sloan Medical School. There's a bit of a conspiracy about some of the senior healers having the government of Cherusta in their pocket, but no credible proof has been turned up as of yet.

Uiraran Barracks (Government District, where Leigh comes from): The Knights of Uiraran have bases on every continent, and this is one of their larger establishments. Their main goal is stated to be world peace, and their knights train diligently towards this cause. They haven't launched an official attack against the Wyrm Wizard of yet, claiming "the time is not yet right" and other vague reasons.

Government Capital (Government District): An old building where those who run the city work and reside. Normal residents are forbidden to enter.

Tovinari Cathedral (Holy District): A large church dedicated to Tovinari. Is almost always crowded with worshipers and those who want to serve The Light.

Description/other details: The City of Love tries to live up to its name; Flowers are everywhere, the entire city is illuminated by torches and magic stones in the night, and couples flock here to be blessed. There is a thriving commercial district with shops, hotels, a museum and an art gallery. Artists, poets and dreamers can be found wherever you look. The Government district isn't quite as pretty, and perhaps there's something foul afoot; whether or not it has anything to do with the events of the game is another matter.

Hope I didn't go too overboard with this: Feel free to trim back anything as needed. Also, I can totally draw a map of how I envisioned the town if needed at all XD;;
Name: Caracal Oasis.

Type: Oasis in the middle of a desert, home of some friendly monsters/desert dwellers.

Biome: Desert

Character tie-ins: None, although people are more than welcome to use it if it strikes their fancy.

Relevance: The Wyrm Wizard has not affected it much, but the monsters around it have become terribly, overly aggressive, forcing a group of desert dwellers/friendly monsters to stay there for a time. Caracal Oasis is the only place where the Caracal fruit can be found, which is a highly gourmet delight as well as valued for it's healing properties, so Cherusta City often sends caravans here. However, since the uprise of the Wyrm Wizard, it has become a rarity and it's price has skyrocketed (this is the basis for a sidequest, if not then it can only be a nifty item that regenerates a person to full health). It may or may not house the secret entrance to the Sacred Temple of Siracusa, where the Siracusa Warmace rests. (Possible entrance to a dungeon, if not then another sidequest, if still not then a rumor.)

Description/other details: It is a gorgeous patch of green in an otherwise very drab dessert. The oasis is surrounded by palm trees, grass, and of course the Caracal fruit shrubs. The majority of the flowers that grow here are red, so it is also called the Crimsom Oasis, since when it is season, Fire Lotus bloom on it's surface and can cover more than 3/4 of it's area. Many animals, mostly lizards and other reptiles, make this their home, and it is protected from monsters by a natural outcropping of rocks from North to Southwest, while the entrance is slightly dipped into an otherwise forgettable rock formation.

If you need help with anything, like sprites for the Caracal fruit, the flowers or references for the layout, let me know and I'd be more than happy to help.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I really like the idea of settlements with friendly monsters. Especially monsters living with humans.
You guys are way more creative then I am @-@
LockeZ
This location is pending Unity's approval, since it involves Leigh.

Name: The Sheer Lift of Uiraran
Type: Non-Settlement Location
Biome: Cliffs
Character Tie-ins: Leigh was formerly stationed at this post for a few months, and helped annex it from the Wyrm Wizard's forces.
Relevance: The Sheer Lift of Uiraran is the only easy path from Aremen into the North Mountains, a mountain range at the edge of the nation's borders. A fortress full of the Wyrm Wizard's forces is in the mountain, and so controlling the lift is of vital importance. It has been suggested to simply destroy the lift, but the Defenders of Uiraran are adamant that it can be defended without resorting to cutting off the only means of travel. They've yet to actually launch an assault on the fortress, but plan to do so when they receive reinforcements. The player might just be those reinforcements...
Description/other details: The lift is a large primitive elevator made up of a platform that is raised up by a rope. A waterfall next to it provides the power used to raise and lower the lift. Aremen has stationed military forces at the top and bottom of the lift; most of them are at the top. It was built decades ago. The Wyrm Wizard's forces seized the lift in a battle and used it to attack the nation of Aremen at the beginning of the war, but the Defenders of Uiraran retook it and have been holding fast so far.
Name:Osis
Type: Town
Biome: River
Character tie-ins: If you want to put your character here, feel free to say so.
Districts: None
Notable features: Large, slow flowing river. Area around is bushlands.
Description/other details: Initially a small settlement built on the banks of the Osis river, the mix of bushfires and bandit attacks chased the citizenry to live apon the river itself. Now, more than half a century later, Osis has become a town of trade set apon riverboats and large rafts.

Wood bridges run between large platforms and, being a town of little space, tall-storied houses are built either on stilts above the river or on larger platforms that float on the surface and can be moved if necessary.

On the shores of the river you can find small farms surrounded by walls, but these are often ramshackle and abandoned during bandit attack or in case of bushfire (an often occurrence in the area).

The folk of Osis are friendly and down-to-earth, prizing skills in fishing and net-crafting. Building with wood is also a prized ability, as is honesty and aiding one's friends in times of crisis.

The leader of Osis is a small man with broad shoulders - a master crafter when it comes to wood. He designed the newer stilt houses and is praised as both a wise and intelligent leader, if a little gruff.

And you really shouldn't let me create towns. I get far too involved.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
This location is pending Unity's approval, since it involves Leigh.

I'm all for it! It sounds cool :D
Craze
Liberty
And you really shouldn't let me create towns. I get far too involved.

no, no, it's good. i am not a huge fan of towns which is why i am outsourcing them, in a sense, so i can feed off of all you guys's ideas. i don't mind the mapping, but... idk. the more detail everything has in this topic, the better the game will be, both due to being interesting in general and keeping me motivated!

also you didn't have create a character to be able make a location, for the record. everybody is welcome to pitch in. =)

unity
You're magical to me.
Since it's been a couple of days with no new locations added, I think I'll attempt to churn out a few more. Before I do, I wanted to ask you, Craze, if anything specific is needed for the town where the game starts (if it starts in a town, that is :P ) Or is that not important, and it'll just be one of the towns we create that seem to fit best?
LockeZ
I mean I can keep doing this all day and pump out about fifteen more, but I figured the plan was for a community game, not a LockeZ game

...aw heck I'll make another anyway

The sidequest in this village is pending Feldschlacht IV's approval, since it uses Constantine.

Name: Cannonburg
Type: Other Location
Biome: Mountain
Character tie-ins: Constantine, a marine from the Cress Empire, was given a mission to steal the blueprints for the cannon and learn anything he could about how it works.
Notable features: The entire "town" is situated on the top of the barrel of an enormous cannon. Although it's got all the buildings it needs to be a town, they are all empty.
Description: The mayor of Cannonburg decided that his town needed a cannon because, as he put it, "Every town needs a cannon! What's the point of even having a town if there isn't a giant cannon?" So he hired engineers to build a gigantic cannon the size of a destroyer, pointed it at the Wyrm Wizard's castle, and then built a village on the top of it. Unfortunately no one has moved to Cannonburg, because if the cannon ever gets used it'll probably destroy all the houses, so it's just an eclectic guy calling himself the mayor of a cannon with a bunch of abandoned buildings on it.
Relevance: The cannon is fully operational, and could totally be a key weapon in the battle against the Wyrm Wizard, if his forces ever got within range of it. They, um, don't.
Sidequest: Many of the abandoned buildings are locked, but the keys are hidden in drawers/crates/pots in other buildings. One of the buildings contains the cannon blueprints, which Constantine can turn into a Cress Empire operative in another city for a reward.
Craze
i'm so mad . not really but . wow, ignite the fuse and send the cannonballs right to my brain

unity: not particularly, no. it'll start most likely in a fortress where the characters have all reported to, designed by me.

LockeZ
I mean I can keep doing this all day and pump out about fifteen more, but I figured the plan was for a community game, not a LockeZ game

yyeah. uh, i thought this would be a lot more popular after the character topic went well =x
Biome: Desert Wasteland
Character tie-ins: This is the region wherein Naalak is thought to dwell. Also contains the Temple of Garanaath.

A blasted dust bowl wherein nothing grows except the hardiest and most despicable of living things. Trees and bushes are misshapen, bearing no leaves. Any fruits borne are dark and bitter, providing little if any nourishment. Gray water tends toward a slightly greasy texture that's as likely to excite thirst as it is to quench it.

Inhabited by the Uriki, a race of desert nomads who have developed ways of living in the midst of this harsh land.

Note: Each culture bounding The Wastes will probably have a different name for it. The Uriki simply call it 'The Blasted Lands', which is an allusion to a cataclysm of fire and darkness that they believe washed over all life in the area and blasted it into its current withered and twisted form.

Village: Uriki Encampment
Biome: Desert Wasteland/Oasis

The Uriki migrate between several oases, where they have semipermanent encampments, in a rotation that allows each one to replenish its resources between visits. Around each watering hole grows a reed that the Uriki are able to use as a type of bread for food. The Uriki can use parts of the plant to filter the water and make it drinkable.

Meeting a group of outsiders, the Uriki will either share food and water, bestowing friendship upon them, or else they will kill them outright as a mercy. A slow death within The Blasted Lands is a kind of hell they would not wish even upon their enemies. If a character is so marked by the Uriki (friend or foe), any others from the same tribe will mysteriously know about it as well and will respond similarly. Other tribes may or may not recognize this.

The Uriki sometimes skirmish and squabble between themselves, but these conflicts are settled quickly by the village elders. The basis for them are usually two groups trying to occupy the same oasis village, or else a religious disagreement.

Most of them follow a god they call The Wanderer, but some occasionally call upon his nemesis, The Dark Storm.
LockeZ
Even I'm not sure if Cannonburg is a serious submission or not.
Pages: first 1234 next last