WYRM WARRIORS! DESIGN A LOCATION!

unity
You're magical to me.
author=Craze
yyeah. uh, i thought this would be a lot more popular after the character topic went well =x

Maybe we can galvanize it with more submissions!

Name: Temple of Garanaath
Type: A small shrine.
Biome: Wasteland.
Character tie-ins: Maricela (specifically the Blade of Darkness she seeks)

Description/other details: Located in the wastelands (perhaps between two dungeons or in a dangerous or late-game area), this demonic shrine was built in honor of Garanaath, the "Long Forgotten Deity of Writhing Bloodlust."

From the outside, you might think this is some sort of tiny dungeon, what with the demonic statues, twisted vines covering the walls and the foreboding atmosphere. However, inside is very little. Just some symbols on the walls that no one can read anymore, and an altar with a Sword of Darkness laying there. However, only one who truly seeks the infernal can claim this blade.

EDIT: Also, if anyone has a vague idea of a location they want (for their character to be located or otherwise), I'm totally willing to expand the idea into a full location and do the writeup for it. I can even come up with a name if you don't have one. So let me know :D (As long as Craze is cool with me doing that)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=unity
Also, if anyone has a vague idea of a location they want (for their character to be located or otherwise), I'm totally willing to expand the idea into a full location and do the writeup for it. I can even come up with a name if you don't have one. So let me know :D

For a possible Rosie tie-in, I was thinking of some kind of village-type in the mountains that serves as the Dragon Fist's training grounds. That's... pretty much all the thinking I've put into this, though.
Name: Library of Lost Souls
Type: Small Shrine
Biome: Mountain
Character tie-ins: Lorence can usually be found perusing the nearly endless volumes located within. He reads book after book, searching for something of worth. Anything of worth. Knowledge yet to be obtained.

Description/other details: A unkempt ruin that seemed to once be a vast library. There are shelves on top of shelves, ladders to climb up, and people are expected to walk along the top of bookshelfs in order to browse the upper levels. Friendly spirits and other entities may float about, offering advice and random tidbits about the place. And there just might be a treasure of worth hidden somewhere within.

...Let me know if this is too extravagant. And other characters can tie-in here if they want to. Let me know and I'll append it.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Craze
yyeah. uh, i thought this would be a lot more popular after the character topic went well =x

I'll add something later. I have more ideas for dungeon-type settings than town ones. vOv
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Name:Dr. Yoadtl's Lab
Type:A horrid place of a mad scientist, filled to the brim and running over with vile creatures and poisons
Biome: Factory
Character tie-ins: Jordain's father is the mad scientist. Jordain previously worked for him till he got bored and left, taking a good deal of equipment with him. His father was less than pleased.....
Relevance: Due to Jordain's betrayal, the scientist is using all his resources to build a giant death weapon to destroy him.
Description/other details: Uh, the factory is not a full-metal automatic factory. It's sorta steam-punk like and stuff. With crystals that provide energy sources similar to electricity only fueled by an element. So a red crystal makes heat energy etc. The Wyrm Wizard probably is controlling the factory and is gathering the crystal for power or some shit like that.
There should also be midget toads waddling around.
author=Craze

*jumps in for some lame excuses*
I, uuh, don't like creating towns either, and then there's finishing ma own gam, and bla, bla, bla, I'll be back for the dungeons!

Also, three villages, four towns, and two cities seems a bit much/ambitious. As a fellow town hater, I'd like to see less towns and more everything else, but I might be too late with that suggestion. :X
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean, that's the max. If people don't make that many good ones I assume he'll have fewer!? And this topic'll probably stop when there are enough places to feel like an explorable game, whether those places are towns or not. So feel free to submit one or two everything elses to push the game in what you believe is the right direction!
Name: Marison

Type: Town

Biome: Plains (farmland, to be exact)

Character tie-ins: Lantwese the Thief moved away with her mother and father to the town Stoneholt at a very young age. Her headstrong father purchased a small manor in Western Marison with the little money he had acquired from selling his small accountancy business in the city.

Notable features:The Stoneholt River is the longest river in Marison, running through the town. The present course of the river was largely formed by the large volcanic eruption from the Lake Marison volcanic complex 1800 years ago.

Marison is notable for its bustling farmers' marketplace culture. Every weekend, the central courtyard of the town is bustling with crowds, booths, tables and stands. Farmers sell their fruits, vegetables, meats, and sometimes prepared foods and beverages at this place. This is where Lantwese had her first successful pickpocket. Even live animals, imported delicacies unavailable locally, and personal goods and crafts are sold in the town markets.

Description/other details: Marison is a farm-town sustained by the wealth and income of the agriculture sector. However, there exists high economic equality: a large divide between the worlds of the poor and rich. This is largely due to the racial and gender discrimination in the area. People from the Eastern Regions of the world are often frowned upon because they have darker skin. Females are expected to not have important jobs, and only males are allowed to run for mayor. This is part of the reason why Lantwese desired more. There was also nepotism involved: favoritism of those who are related to the mayor's family to get jobs in politics.

Thus there is a very large percentage of beggars in the area, as well as poor farmers and spice merchants just trying to make their cut. The rich are often the families in power: the mayor's family, tax collectors (who must collect a bribe), soldiers etc, who are mainly corrupt and pose unjustified threats against citizens unless a demand is met.

(I can add more if you want, that's the important stuff)

unity
You're magical to me.
author=Marrend
For a possible Rosie tie-in, I was thinking of some kind of village-type in the mountains that serves as the Dragon Fist's training grounds. That's... pretty much all the thinking I've put into this, though.

Let's see what I can come up with. Everything below is subject to Marrend's approval, or any changes he wants, of course :P

Name: Hoffzen
Type: Village
Biome: Mountains
Character tie-ins: Rosie was trained in the arts needed for both combat and to seal the Wyrm Wizard here.

Notable features: The village is co-ruled by Lucelain, the elder of the mind, and Riin, the elder of the body. The largest building in the town is Dragon Fist's dojo, and the area around it also is a basic training ground as well.

Description/other details: The village is built right into the side of Hoffzen Cliff, and different houses are built into different layers of the cliff. On the lowest layer is the Inn and a peddler who sells items, weapons, and armor.

On the second layer are students residents, with the rooms bare aside from sleeping mats and places for meditation and reflection.

The third layer consists of the aforementioned dojo and surrounding training ground.

The forth and highest layer has only the House of the Elders, a building with a central Meeting Room and the personal quarters of both elders to the west and east of that room, respectively. The elders both sit in the Meeting Room, deep in meditation, until they have duties to perform or someone approaches them with news or questions.

Hoffzen is home to students from all corners of the continent, as they will accept anyone into training if they are willing to "forsake the errors of the mind and body to rise to the code of the Dragon Fist." Younger students are eager to go out and change the world while older students warn in the folly of getting too involved "in the troubles of this twisted universe."
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
It might sound better if it was "rise to the code of the Dragon Fist", but that's just me. Otherwise, I would approve of that, unity!
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Marrend
It might sound better if it was "rise to the code of the Dragon Fist", but that's just me. Otherwise, I would approve of that, unity!

Fixed :D
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Name: Shady Rest
Type: Ghost Town
Biome: Snowy mountain
Character tie-ins: welp
Notable features:
Everyone in town is a ghost, including animals and livestock. It appears abandoned unless the party rests in a house, at which point they'll awaken at night to find the residents visible and doing their townfolk thing.
Mabel, a girl who died at thirteen and who has been in town for centuries- she's got a lot of memories of historical info, which she'll share in exchange for pretty clothing. She haunts the mansion.
A small, well-tended field of Grey Heartsease, a rare flower that only grows in the snow, which is some kind of cool stat-enhancing item I guess. The field is in the courtyard of the mansion.

Description/other details:
Long ago, Shady Rest was a bustling town of living people. Then, a disastrous blizzard killed all the residents. In spite of this, the hardy and hard-working townsfolk refused to let a setback like separation from their corporeal bodies lead to the decline of their home.
Shady Rest has become a diverse settlement, attracting people who aren't ready or willing to go to the Great Beyond. They are ambivalent to the living; some are happy to interact and help, while others don't like having outsiders and gawkers in their space.
The area seems to be an abandoned and rundown town at first, with the outermost houses mainly decaying ruins. Further in, the buildings are better-kept, particularly the mansion at the center of town and the stables housing ghostly livestock.
At the rear of town is an ice cave storing the remains of those people who died in the town, preserved by the cold. A few snowmen surround the entrance.
It seems as if we have fulfilled our quota for towns, cities and villages. Now it's time to flesh out at least 5 "other" locations. I will contribute by suggesting a couple of my own.

Name: Lake of the Gods
Type: Lake
Biome: Elven Forest
Character tie-ins: None that I know of
Notable features:
Description: A visibly calm lake surrounded by a grove of towering trees, the Lake of the Gods is the fabled location of the origin of life in this world. It is said that the first gods reproduced here, forming the spark of human life and setting off the chain reaction of evolution.

All travelers who find this place do so only by accident, since it is not marked on any map or recorded in any piece of literature. Not just anyone may stumble on this place, however. Only those who play an important role in the balance of the world happen upon its cool grassy banks. Heroes who visit this location feel noticeably replenished and have even caught glimpse of passing spirits that make their seasonal pilgrimage to the lake.

Name: Mount Arazia
Type: Volcano
Description/other details: The most active volcano in the world, erupting minorly every few years. A major eruption occurs every 50 years. Very few are located near this region for the reason that they would be completely covered in ash every few years. Cultists scale this mountain for the reason of human sacrifice, saying sacrificing one willing participant into the fire every year will calm the rage of the gods.

It is said that groups of bandits also inhabit this area, since no authorities find scouring the mountain for hideouts is dangerous due to the rough and inclined terrain.
Name: The Cliffs of Versanz
Type: Cliff face
Biome: Gorge

Notable features: Stone steps that reach across the face of a steep, high cliff. Hewn from the cliff itself, they are old and worn from much use. At the top of the cliff is a small abandoned hut where a witch was believed to have once lived, and a small forested area where-in there are an abundance of herbs growing wild.

Description: A large, steep cliff face that is named for the young witch who lived at the top. The witch loved to walk by the cliff edge and on one such occasion she spied a young man at the base of the cliffs and fell instantly in love.

However, her skills as a witch were mediocre at best and though she was able to do wonders with herbs and healing, she had no such power as to transport her to his side. Such was her love for the young man and such was her longing to be with him that she slowly began carefully carving a staircase out of the the rock cliff face that separated them.

Day after day and year after year she carved until finally she reached the bottom of the cliff face. Quickly she rushed to his side, only to find him happily married with no understanding of who she was. He called her mad and, being a man of some power, had her locked away 'for her own safety'. That night she used what little arts she had at her disposal to escape and fled up the stairs, back to her home above. Unfortunately she was in such a distressed state that she slipped and fell to her death.

The next day men sent to search for the escaped woman found her body at the bottom of the steps. The man, feeling guilt over her death, carried her to the top of the cliff, back to her home and buried her there.

The cliffs were renamed for the witch and every year a pilgrimage is made to the top of them by young women in love to lay flowers on her grave, in the hopes that her love-lorn spirit will continue to rest in peace and that their love will end happier than hers.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
yesssss now this is more like it

i'm still a bit occupied at the moment but i'll start going through these more carefully later today and putting together a master list and a "let's keep refining" this list. please note the the second list is not, like, "YOU DID A BAD THING" list, it's just that like some people have mentioned, we need to focus on quality, not quantity!

re: "too many," i think it's a fairly reasonable amount. it really helps if people start to focus down their locations -- what if you can only get sucky bows in most places, but one town sells bows of all qualities? stuff like that. make every area worthwhile to visit for the party multiple times.
If that is a "fairly reasonable amount" to you, then it seems like our opinions differ in that regard. :P
I was thinking your motivation might drop too quickly with that many, that's how it works for me at least, don't mind me though!

@LockeZ:
Oh, by "more of everything else" I mostly meant more/better dungeons, skills, enemies, polish etc, so nothing in particular.

Looking forward to more updates on this game.
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
WYRM WARRIORS enemies will be a thing right?
Name: Fort Moglietta
Type: Abandoned Jail
Biome: Desert

Notable features: The main entrance was a secure, controlled archway into the walled fortress. The library is in ruins and the books were burned, although the church stays fairly well intact except for the cross on top, which has fallen over. The exercise yard is overgrown with weeds.

Description: A ruinous ex-jailsite surrounded by eroded stone and metal fencing, the enemy's Fort Moglietta once housed fleeing prisoners of war until it was overrun by allied soldiers over 50 years ago. Half of the fence still stays electrified, but the jail itself is a mangled array of broken-in gates, corroded guard towers, and the charred skeletons of watchmen and patrol dogs.

The prison architecture employed a decentralized "podular" layout to restrict and control the movement of prisoners throughout the facility. Torture chambers were constructed underground; the skeletons of prisoners, unfound by the raid, still hanging from shackles on the walls. The cross on top of the prison church has fallen lengthways, face flat on the ground. Only a few desert trees and brush have grown through the dry soil and harsh climate of the desert, and they lie curled over in the wind.
Name: St. Vertwick Cathedral
Type: Church
Biome: Wastelands

Notable features: The area was ransacked a little while ago, but a few people still sometimes camp in the dusty area surrounding the church.

Description: The St. Vertwick Cathedral is a small abandoned cathedral in the wastelands. Long ago, there was a holy war in the region, which caused the evil lord Drovai to curse the Church for the religions it had been teaching the local people. Citizens then ransacked the church, overturning tables, chairs and generally leaving the place abandoned.

It is said that within the Cathedral lies a holy Druid's Relic that enables secret passages.

~~~

On that note, how's progress on this game going? I'm interested to see if you are still waiting on help for locations, or what is needed to further progress.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Name: Perilswine Traders
Type: Village
Biome: Probably grassland, but it could easily be put in a different biome if there's an area on the map that needs a small town.

Character tie-ins: None, but this would be a good place to meet random people.

Notable features: A large building, the actual Perilswine Traders post proper, occupies most of this settlement and is the only real building. Outside is mostly just a road with some people doing things outside the trading post. One or two of the people outside might have a small tent, or just a stall with a canopy over it, or be in a covered wagon or a carriage parked on the road.

Description/other details: This village is basically just a large trading post. The Perilswine Traders are a group of merchants dealing primarily with weapons and food; thus the peril and the swine in their name. They built a trading post on a major intersection between towns (though not necessarily between towns the player can visit; maybe they deal in trade between Aremen and a neighboring country). As you enter the trading post, the first part inside of it is predictably a pair of shops, one for arms and armor, and the other for food. However, the large building also contains a lodge in the back where travellers can spend the night, as well as a small bar for guests to drink at. The entire trading post is typically filled with travelers and merchants.

Their business is not purely limited to arms and foodstuffs; outside and in the bar, many vendors associated with the Perilswine Traders congregate and buy and sell smaller amounts of goods to anyone passing through. The outside of the shop is as busy as the inside.

Sidequest: A horse merchant on the dirt road outside sells horse rides to a few nearby locations, but orcs have stolen his horses. If the player can bring them back, he will not only reward them with money/items but also give free horse rides from Perilswine Traders to several nearby locations for the rest of the game, letting the player skip world map battles. (If you don't have world map battles, then maybe let this unlock a new zone that can only be reached on horseback. Like a zone on the other side of an impassable marsh, or a zone that's just too far away to walk to.)