THE TOP RM GAMES OF ALL TIME

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Oh I know. Craze has had an irrational vendetta with me for years so I had to call him out. This poll means very, very little in the grand scheme.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Toothpicks, meet tank.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
harmonic
It's obvious that the old guard of RMN doesn't like it when commercial games get popular, specifically if the author is Amanda, me, or Aldorlea. Can't you just be happy for your fellow RM users who took a different path with the software?

i'm a tester* for Ara Fell and i recently promoted an excellent and unique rm2k game (Helen's Mysterious Castle). nice try, i just like good games ;^D (i tried deadly sin 1, even bought it because for some reason i didn't think you were totally awful yet (that was pre-death threats to me and WIP and shit), but it annoyed me so badly i never got more than like an hour in. who uses smileys in their srs gam dialogue?????)

doodieroodie wasn't that bad for a free 2k3 game! had to tone down the final thighboss though, way too op even though i had all the ultimate gear and shit. oh well !!

*i'm the worst tester in the world. i will analyze the SHIT out of the first two hours of your game and then wander off for a week
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
In no particular order...

Luxaren Allure
Notes on the Etgoesian Crisis
C. O. A. T. S.
Remnants of Isolation
Hero's Realm
Epic Elf (all of them)
Free Spirits
Ara Fell
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening
Prayer of the Faithless

Honorable mentions:
Myriad Cypher
Ruin Frontier
Starbot
Chase for Divinity
I think I've posted in this thread before, but just to update on my list of the top 10 RM games of all times (in no particular order):

- Seraphic Blue
- Nocturne: Rebirth
- Romancing Walker
- Hat World (Japanese RPG; this one is really fun!)
- Alter A.I.L.A. Genesis
- Last Scenario
- Exit Fate
- Dhux's Scar
- Demon Lagecy
- Helen's Mysterious Castle

Honorable mentions:
- Eternal Senia
- The Way
- Balmung Cycle
- Homework Salesman
- Hero's Realm
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I don't remember if I've ever posted in this thread with a list, but, the more recent posts has me wonder if/when people will realize that the list in the OP will never be updated? The account known as "thatbennyguy" has been abandoned for some time now, hasn't it?

Unless people just want to list their games and not care about the poll, or the results? I guess that's a thing.
author=harmonic
Oh I know. Craze has had an irrational vendetta with me for years so I had to call him out. This poll means very, very little in the grand scheme.

Obviously. But you should still realize that many of the commercial RPG Maker games just aren't (particularly) good and are only popular because they appear on Steam or Humble Store or other popular platforms.

There are many people that don't even know RMN exists and that buy RPG Maker games on Steam/Amazon. You can realize this when looking the reviews on Aldorlea games that say something along the lines of "Finally a game like the old Final Fantasy games again". There are also tons of people that avoid free RPG Maker games because the chance to find a particularly good one between "all the crap" is slim. But they'd buy an RPG Maker game because "If it's sold, the developer must have put some effort into it".

Seriously, I couldn't convince a single person to download and play Alter A.I.L.A Genesis so far, but I could get people to buy The Amber Throne. It's strange, you might think people like free stuff more than stuff that costs money, but apparently for RPG Maker games it's not the case.

Needless to say that I think many commercial RPG Maker games are quite good too, but it seems silly to be all like "That commercial RPG Maker game is more popular than this free RPG Maker game, so it must be better.", because that's just not true.

Out of 3690 games on RMN, I'd probably recommend 10 as "Everyone should have played those". Out of the 50 commercial RPG Maker games I've seen, I'd recommend around 10 as well. Those 20 make the good ones for me, nothing else. Nothing to do with it commercial or not. Nothing to do with how popular they actually are.
harmonic
author=RyaReisender
snip

You're not saying anything I disagree with.

I would say that my most recent game is objectively better than Skyborn, but I think we hit a really good note with Skyborn. It isn't popular on accident, as much as Craze and Craze-like old guard would love to believe - that I don't deserve anything I've earned or accomplished.

A lot of things affect popularity other than game quality. Sometimes a game just speaks to people. (To The Moon) Luck, timing, getting a popular let's player to play it, etc, also play a part.

Considering how many games come out on Steam anymore, this will only become more and more of a thing.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=harmonic
author=RyaReisender
snip
You're not saying anything I disagree with.

I would say that my most recent game is objectively better than Skyborn, but I think we hit a really good note with Skyborn. It isn't popular on accident, as much as Craze and Craze-like old guard would love to believe - that I don't deserve anything I've earned or accomplished.

A lot of things affect popularity other than game quality. Sometimes a game just speaks to people. (To The Moon) Luck, timing, getting a popular let's player to play it, etc, also play a part.

Considering how many games come out on Steam anymore, this will only become more and more of a thing.

You got this guy's vote. He got banned for being a P.O.S.

So, how much of the profits do you actually see after making a sale on Steam? Just enough to rub it in while not enough to not get your boots dirty with the commoners?
How does a questionable person liking a game have anything to do with anything?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Darken
How does a questionable person liking a game have anything to do with anything?

I'm reserving my right to not have to answer for this.
harmonic
Corfaisus, you're taking desperate jabs at me. I don't know why you feel the need to even try.

A lot of people have recommended my games. I am not familiar with this gentleman and am obviously not associated with him.

Steam takes 30% off the top for everybody. That's as far as it gets without infringing upon my own privacy and those who work with me.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
if you don't wanna get jabbed then don't walk into a necro'd topic and expect us to caress the wrinkly dick you flopped on the table
User was warned for this post
harmonic
author=Craze
if you don't wanna get jabbed then don't walk into a necro'd topic and expect us to caress the wrinkly dick you flopped on the table

It's amazing that you are allowed to be this vulgar.
Oh ffs.

Craze, Corf, lay off and don't be so gross. I didn't come here to read about dicks and people acting like them. You should both know better.

People make commercial games - some good, some bad, some inbetween. Thing is, those thoughts change depending on the person in question - almost like people actually like different things in games or something.

Harm, of course this thread is going to talk about free RM games because we're a site that has a lot of free ones and has a system in place for showing off the best of them to those who come here. There might be a couple of good commercial ones out there, but they're not going to see as big an audience here because most people here know what they see and they see free games that are usually better than most of the stuff on places like Steam. It's from 'shopping' in one or two places.

If someone sells an amazing sandwich in a shop, but you have a roommate who makes just as good (of not, sometimes, better) sandwiches in your own house, of course you're going to eat those sandwiches - even if sometimes they might be a bit soggy or one doesn't taste quite right, but you can't always get a great sandwich. You might, every now and then, go to the shop to experience their sandwiches, but maybe you go on a day when the best chef isn't in and get a subpar sandwich. Maybe they don't make it the way you like or you just like the ones your buddy makes better.

If asked, you're going to say "Yeah, my roomie makes the best sandwiches."

You might mention that there's a good sandwich at the shop, but you're more likely going to expound the sandwiches you like the most and that's different for different people. Your buddy makes the best ones to you and that's a-okay. If you like the sandwiches from the shop better, that's a-okay too. There's nothing wrong with either, and both are special little snowflake sandwiches.

Hmm, there must be something perfectly snarky and disarming I can say here...

Would it be in poor taste to pretend to be insulted that Ara Fell is a meager 6th on this peasant list?
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
Ara fell is ok I guess.

A lot of games coming out recently have been pretty fantastic and I'm really proud of the community for it so keep it up guys!
harmonic
author=BadLuck
Hmm, there must be something perfectly snarky and disarming I can say here...

Would it be in poor taste to pretend to be insulted that Ara Fell is a meager 6th on this peasant list?

I'm not sure if you mean I was implying it was a "peasant list". It is pretty much impossible for me to say something at RMN and have it not be massively misconstrued. (Also to have disgusting comments thrown at me by Craze.) If that's not what you're intending to snark about, nevermind!

(People. I know it's a different audience. I already said so. I also already said I don't care that much. Notice the lack of caring that much in the original post.)

It is a bigger insult (for real) that your other game, the one with the wedding crash in the beginning, isn't at all mentioned. Rise of the Third Power, yeah that's the one.
author=Harmonic
I'm not sure if you mean I was implying it was a "peasant list".

Nope, just trying to be cute.

author=Harmonic
It is a bigger insult (for real) that your other game, the one with the wedding crash in the beginning, isn't at all mentioned. Rise of the Third Power, yeah that's the one.

Thanks! It's not really insulting though, I just kind of dumped Rise of the Third Power on the community without really taking the time to get anyone to pay attention to it. Incidentally, if Ara Fell does well enough to make it a viable use of my time, I'm going to go back and fix up and finish R3P and sell it.