THE TOP RM GAMES OF ALL TIME

Assuming Ara Fell doesn't blow up in my face...

It really is cool that people still care about that project after all this time, though!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=BadLuck

It won't, people can tell when there's genuine heart put into a product.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Oh, yeah, Ara Fell's brilliant.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I downloaded Ara Fell today and I can't wait to give it a go.

... That said, It's hard for me to contribute much to this topic simply because I haven't played enough RM games to know, nor did anything I play stand out as "great" to me.

"Hero's Realm" would be up there but... I don't know. I'd have to play and actually finish it.

"Remnants of Isolation" was a great game, though I will be frank in saying that as a commercial game, it didn't really set itself apart from the quality of the great free RPG maker games on here or anywhere else.

I remember liking Alteir A.L.I.A. Genesis, Quintesse: The Blighted Venom, and the Master of the Wind, but it's been ages since I've picked up those games.
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
author=Corfaisus
author=BadLuck

Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

Oh you!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=iddalai
author=Corfaisus
author=BadLuck

Oh you!

I'm sure this is meant to mean something. What, I don't know.

Is it perhaps a thinly veiled and misdirected introspection? Do you laugh to keep from crying?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Marrend
I don't remember if I've ever posted in this thread with a list, but, the more recent posts has me wonder if/when people will realize that the list in the OP will never be updated? The account known as "thatbennyguy" has been abandoned for some time now, hasn't it?

Unless people just want to list their games and not care about the poll, or the results? I guess that's a thing.

Hi marrend. I think you forget that thatbennyguy was my old account. That said, if we were to revive this thread, I think I'd reset the scores, since so much time has passed since, and I reckon people might have totally diff lists. I'll put it on my list of todos.
iddalai
author=Corfaisus
author=iddalai
author=Corfaisus
author=BadLuck

Oh you!

Is it perhaps a thinly veiled and misdirected introspection? Do you laugh to keep from crying?

Funny, ya didn't strike me as someone who wouldn't understand.
You can do it if you try, I believe in you! :P

EDIT: I just noticed it may come across as if I think/expect Ara Fell to fail, which I do not, I'm just laughing at your innocent notion that people can tell when there's love put into a project.
Corfaisus
author=iddalai
author=Corfaisus
author=iddalai
author=Corfaisus
author=BadLuck

Oh you!

Funny, ya didn't strike me as someone who wouldn't understand.
You can do it if you try, I believe in you! :P

EDIT: I just noticed it may come across as if I think/expect Ara Fell to fail, which I do not, I'm just laughing at your innocent notion that people can tell when there's love put into a project.

People really can, or at least they can tell when you've clearly not put your heart into it. If you haven't enjoyed what you're doing, chances are the player will be able to pick up on that through their own experience. If you "ugh" hard enough, the world will "ugh" with you.

Besides, this guy's been doing this longer than I have (and I've been doing it for over half my life now) and made a name for himself way back in the days of 2k3. From his own admitting, he's feverishly worked on revamping this project for the last year (habitually sinking 14 hour days into it) and hired some talented people to carry some of the work for him. I'm pretty sure at this point it has to pay off.
iddalai
author=Corfaisus
People really can, or at least they can tell when you've clearly not put your heart into it. If you haven't enjoyed what you're doing, chances are the player will be able to pick up on that through their own experience. If you "ugh" hard enough, the world will "ugh" with you.

Besides, this guy's been doing this longer than I have (and I've been doing it for over half my life now) and made a name for himself way back in the days of 2k3. From his own admitting, he's feverishly worked on revamping this project for the last year (habitually sinking 14 hour days into it) and hired some talented people to carry some of the work for him. I'm pretty sure at this point it has to pay off.

This is not about Ara Fell, I'm not calling into question whether this game has heart. In fact you can even find a post of mine in that blog. I like Ara Fell.

All I'm saying is it would be indeed a worderfull world if people took that into consideration or if they cared... which they don't.

Hence: Hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!
I get what iddalai is saying. It's not that heart doesn't show through when you've got it. It's that so many people don't appreciate heart even when it's obvious.

There was... probably a more tactful way it could have been said, but I bet you two actually agree on that point.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Corfaisus
snip

I actually didn't question that you can tell a game has heart (and I would agree about Ara Fell) but I just had the thought that it's pretty obvious you're making an effort to contrast your previous desperate, aggressive, and unwarranted swipes at me with a far more magnanimous (borderline ass-kissing) opinion on someone else's game as a way of establishing some sort of "moderateness" or to gain an ally in a tense thread. Very political. You clever cat you. :) Probably fooled some folks!
Corfaisus
author=harmonic
author=Corfaisus
snip
I actually didn't question that you can tell a game has heart (and I would agree about Ara Fell) but I just had the thought that it's pretty obvious you're making an effort to contrast your previous desperate, aggressive, and unwarranted swipes at me with a far more magnanimous (borderline ass-kissing) opinion on someone else's game as a way of establishing some sort of "moderateness" or to gain an ally in a tense thread. Very political. You clever cat you. :) Probably fooled some folks!

1. I wasn't talking to you.
2. If I was, you should know that multiple accounts are against the rules.
3. Don't pretend to know my ways. I've been positive towards BadLuck's ambitions since October 5th of last year (this is nothing new).
4. BadLuck doesn't have a running history of being a stuck-up cloud of community-absorbing drama. Of course I'd side with him over you.
5. *swipe, singular.

I combat hyperbolic falsehoods with the truth, for I am the Tadpole Warrior of Prophecy and I've come to defy you, Tank Cat!

author=Liberty
I didn't come here to read about dicks and people acting like them. You should both know better.
harmonic
Aaaaand your political scheming continues.

You're trying to make this a Badluck versus me thing when this is not even remotely in the realm of reality. I have never once wished ill upon another commercial developer, I have only encouraged those who truly pour themselves into their projects. To do otherwise (like you do with me) would be the sin of envy. "Side with Badluck" etc. was ALL your idea. Your gigantic strawman of an idea. You are a shady character! Divide and conquer, eh?

It doesn't matter who the other developer was. As long as it was not me. You needed someone to latch onto to show some degree of balance or moderation after accusing me of:

1) Making games en masse and failing (major falsehood):

author=Corfaisus
Numbers don't mean a whole hell of a lot when complacency rules the day. The fact that you've released a slew of commercial games tells me none of them are doing all that well, or at least well enough to support your hobby. It's Laxius Force (jokingly, Laxative Force) all over again.

I've made 4 games since 2009. One is very successful. Two are moderately successful. I am doing great overall. I work with extremely talented people - Mithran who is easily in the top 5 RM Ruby scripters ever, and a professional game artist who works for Amazon game studios, among many others, not the least of which are some of Degica's fine internal employees. But you go ahead and live in your wacky fantasy world. I believe the kids call it a "safe space" these days, right?

2) Somehow being associated with this "homy" fella in a really sad attempt to discredit me in some way

3) Apparently I don't want to "get my boots dirty with the commoners" because I don't share extremely sensitive financial info with you

I don't know why you act the way you do. It is a serious grudge and it's creepy.
Um, can you guys stop this and bring this to PM? None of us have come here to read drama in this thread. This is supposed to be about the top RM games of all time and not drama.

Like seriously, if a person is pissing/ticking you off, there's something called ignoring/adding user to ignore list. No need to carry on the drama in public, not to mention it's completely off topic.

On another note, a new thread for this is needed soon.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Yeah I believe you guys were already told to drop this.
harmonic
Actually the original message was directed at Corf/Craze, but as you wish.

There really is no justice here. I'm on the defense here, not the attack. The best I can apparently hope for is a blanket "you're all wrong" when clearly Corfaisus is running a sustained attack campaign and is holding an eternal grudge. I did not want to allow him to successfully convince people that I was trying to somehow oppose Badluck, an absurd and untrue concept, and that it was just his attempt at politicking.

It would be nice to be able to wander in here and not have it be hostile territory. I.e. when I say ANYTHING, not having frothing-at-the-mouth troll responses machine gunned my way.

RMN mods enable your worst offenders by using the blanket "you're all wrong" approach. Not all the time, sometimes there is a proper, targeted response. But certainly not EVER from the above poster.
The least you can do is to ignore and not respond to them. You don't have to let a handful of people ruin you. So what if people think bad of you? You are who you are.

Besides, don't take the Internet seriously like in real life. On the Internet, you can really take everything with a pinch of salt.
iddalai
The message was in general to stop acting like drama queens and was at the three of you. Coming back and stirring shit up after it's already been dropped is annoying. Don't do that.

Everyone, please continue with your regularly scheduled program.

I've actually got a few new games to add to that list! Scary thought, wot wot!

Pale Echoes - Really interesting game mechanics and the story was pretty good too.
Cope Island - Looking forward to seeing how the remake works out for it but the original was really good.
MERCY - it's not on RMN, but it was made for the IGMC 2014 and it was quite good, bar the crash half-way through that stopped us from being able to finish it (the major reason it didn't get in the top ten, sadly.)
Grist of Flies - Really neat idea and mechanics. Liked it a LPT.
ZIZ - Short but great little game set in a space ship and having a rather interesting ending that I know confused some people.
Cradle of Sorrow - a Horror game that was set in an insane assylum. I rather enjoyed it.
GRP cirneg - A really interesting little RPG with a bit of grinding. It follows a monster trying to become king of the monsters.
It Lurks! - Really good little horror game and the graphical presentation was so good.
Pokemon RMN Version - lots of fun and the demo is a hell of a lot longer than you'd think. Took me over 10 hours to get to the end and there was more I could have done after that.
Veek - An amazing little game. It was seriously great.
The Glow - had some bugs here and there but the premise was great and for an RM game it did a lot of cool stuff.