[POLL] 16-BIT(PIXEL GRAPHICS) VS HD

Poll

What type of graphics would you prefer in a game? - Results

16-Bit
67%
HD
32%

Pages: first 1234 next last
Is one better than the other? Is 16-Bit popular only because its nostalgic? Why is one better than the other?
That's like asking hand-drawn animation VS CG. It's not one or the other. They're vastly different and there's room for both.
If that's true then why do all the major developers use mostly HD? In fact I have only ever seen Indie games use 16-Bit-like graphics.
unity
You're magical to me.
I can't pick one or the other. While I love me some 16-bit graphics to get the nostalgia pumping, I cannot deny the appeal of high-def sprites either.

Though if this was "sprites vs non-sprites" I'd pick sprites any day. I don't have a problem with the CG stuff, but I'm totally in love with sprites.
author=McBick
If that's true then why do all the major developers use mostly HD? In fact I have only ever seen Indie games use 16-Bit-like graphics.

Because major developers are selling to a group convinced that graphics are the thing - have you seen console and hardware races? It's about better, faster, more realistic renderings. It's become an insane focus on graphics over almost every other part of the development process.

That's not saying HD-styled graphics don't have their place, it's that games should focus on having the style of graphic that works the individual game and enhances the rest of the game, not just push for the biggest and brightest because omgshinygraphix.
It can go either way. This isn't really nostalgia talking because there are some truly ugly old games, but I feel that a lot of newer HD two dimensional games just... lack character. Just about ever new 2D RPG feels sort of soulless to me, sort of like something's been lost over the years.
I've yet to meet someone who hasn't grown up with 16-Bit games that actually prefers or even likes them, not saying they don't like the game, but rather the graphics are a turn off. I think its all about nostalgia. I think its primitive, similar to a 1950s TV. I don't really understand why anyone would want lesser graphics. Just to clarify I am not talking about gameplay, but graphics alone. Wouldn't you rather play "Zelda: A Link to the Past" with HD graphics than play the original? I know I would.
Could you define what you mean by "HD graphics"?
Also pixel graphics and 16-bit isn't the same.

Do you mean hand-drawn graphics vs pixel graphics? Technically pixel graphics are also drawn, but you get what I mean, I hope.
I would also argue most people don't know what 8-bit, 16-bit, etc. actually look like. I see all kinds of things called "8-bit" that would have to fit the 16-bit definition, and all sorts of things that're called 16-bit that would have to fit under 24-bit, but try to emulate the style of 16-bit legends using it.
Hand drawn counts as HD. Basically anything that's high resolution instead of pixelated.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=McBick

This is absolutely not true. Handheld games are absolutely a thing, as are cell phone games.

What is true is that games for HD consoles by major developers all use HD graphics. There are other systems designed for 2D graphics though. And they are full of 2D games.
Unfortunately most games get by on nostalgia. Remember the SNES era? We've got it!
Here's a question then:

Check out this image.

Focus on the characters. Which style do they fall under?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=McBick

If what major developers put out were a measure of what's actually good, the only games of quality would be games featuring angry white men on quests for REVENGE! and beige FPS war simulators. Which I am pretty sure we can all agree is not the case.

Pixelly can work well for a project. Hi res can work well for a project. More important than the medium is a consistent and coherent visual style that works with what you're trying to do.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Travio
Here's a question then:

Check out this image.

that would be both pixel art and an indie developer

so like, not really helping here
author=LockeZ
author=Travio
Here's a question then:

Check out this image.

that would be both pixel art and an indie developer

so like, not really helping here

But he just said hand drawn counts as HD. And I've seen hand drawn characters that turn out exactly like that in game - except those are pixel characters. So how do you draw a line between the two?
LockeZ
I'm pretty sure what he originally meant was 2D vs. 3D and then he just got confused by the question about hand-drawn because he remembered what HD actually means.
@Lockez
I'm not sure if your trolling or not, but if you aren't then you should know there is such a thing as HD 2D games. Also handheld games have limitations, such as low resolution meaning no HD graphics.

@Sooz
They are major developers because their games sell. If their games weren't good they wouldn't sell.
LockeZ
I know there are, I'm suggesting that you forgot there were when you made the topic (and also when you replied with "If that's true then why do all the major developers use mostly HD? In fact I have only ever seen Indie games use 16-Bit-like graphics.")
Pages: first 1234 next last