[POLL] GAMES NOT BEING COMPLETED LIKE EXPECTED!

Poll

What typically gets in the way of your projects completion? - Results

Not enough time.
17%
No real life people interested.
7%
A game feature you cant seem to figure out.
12%
Cant make your game as good and person A or B.
2%
You seem to procrastinate alot.
36%
You can't seem to find the right resources.
4%
Other reason (you can specify in a post.)
19%

Pages: first prev 12 last
Unable to focus on any given task including making my own sandwich.

Huh, that's strange the reasons listed don't really seem to be what stops me from ever finishing development of a game.

Not enough time.

I have plenty of time, but I spend it mostly by playing myself.

No real life people interested.

That isn't really a problem for me as I'm creating games mainly for myself and if other like them too that just a bonus.

A game feature you cant seem to figure out.

As game design is my strongest point, I never have trouble with this. I even help other tha have trouble with this and they are actually more likely to finish their game than I'll ever finish my own.

Cant make your game as good and person A or B.

I can always make a better game, so that's not a problem either. In fact if I'm making a game then that's because I want to play something better than anything available.

You seem to procrastinate alot.

Yes I do. ALOT. But this isn't a reason to not finish a game. It's more a reason for why it takes 10 years instead of 1 year.

You can't seem to find the right resources.

I'm against using external resources. If at all, I'd do everything myself or get a team member.

Other reason (you can specify in a post.)

The biggest reason for me is lack of motivation. That's a very simplified way to put it however. When I start designing a game I love it. I enjoy it and design it like 16 hours a day until it's perfect. I never have a motivation problem with designing games and always finish it up. However when it games to actually turning the designs into games, there are a lot of things that I just don't enjoy but I have to do. Drawing graphics, writing dialogues. I hate that stuff. And so my motivation slowly fades away up to the point where making the game feels like torture and then I just drop it forever.
Procrastinate seems to be the most common issue so far. This topic was inspired by Spongebob Squarepants of all things. There was an episode when Spongebob had to write an essay for driving class, but keep finding everything in the world to do that woulsd halt his work on doing the essay. Like feeding Gary, or calling Patrick. Who said Spongebob is good for nothing lol.
It’s because I’m a perfectionist whore.

It seems like most of the time I never seem to progress that much, or as quick as I want to, because the littlest things bother me to such an extent that even the tiniest pixel in the wrong spot in the wrong direction will cause me to spend an unnecessary amount of days on it until it is perfect. Not only that, but it seems I like taking the hard way around things when I can just as well just do it the easy way and not have to do the same thing with coding multiple times in a row. For example, I just finished completing a series of menus and multiple sprite animations which took me almost two months to do but I would have completed it probably in less than one if I just did it the easy way. I’m trying my best to stop doing all this nonsense and just focus on the task at hand and move on from one thing to the next, but it’s hard for me.

All these other issues listed above – totally fine with all of these! I just need to get my ass in gear and stop panicking over the littlest things and have some fun once and a while and just relax. Like, I’ll record a five minute gameplay section with FRAPS and pause the video every split second to see if the menu transitions move in the right spot correctly whereas 95% of most people watching the video would just say “Dude, it’s fine! COME ON!!!”
@Addit: I do that to, I'll stress over some of the smallest details. For example, my special menu. I'm almost constantly changing the color scheme. I'll get it right where I want it, but then I'll play another game with a different color scheme and think "Hey, my game would look great like that."
Procrastination, mostly.
The game I'm working on now is pretty straight forward and most of it is planned out, so it's just a matter getting down and sticking it all together.
Although, now I'm procrastinating on essays by working on my game. This is not a good thing...
The game I spent 3 years on mainly from scriptand devloping the characters I recently cancelled before releasing the demo which was done because of the things I wanted to do are beyond me and will take up way more time than I want. I did start another one recently one that is so much less. Also there is the I want it to be done but don't want to spend the time finishing it issue.
My current one will probally be finished or at least see 2 demos since it'll be way easier to pull off.
Pages: first prev 12 last