MP3 NOT LOOPING CORRECTLY

Pages: 1
There is a slight pause in RMXP between MP3 looping. Why is this? Can anyone recommend a different way to go about it, maybe a different file format?
From personal experience, mp3 files in RM2k3 require a second or so of silence at the very beginning of the track in order to loop properly. It might be the same under XP.
So, either use ogg or experiment with your mp3 files in Audacity.
It's impossible to cleanly loop an MP3 due to a technical limitation in the file format that will always, no matter how hard you try or how cleanly your create the loop, have at least a one "frame" pause before it loops. The only way to hide the loop is to compose the music to actually have a silence at the loop point.

For best quality on your loops, use the .ogg file format - it doesn't have the same technical limitation and, if you create your loops right, you'll never notice when it loops.
Yes, there will always be a slight pause and/or click when playing an MP3. I don't remember exactly why, but I believe it has to do with how its compressed and/or streamed at runtime. Also, I believe the the ID3 tags that give media players information on the song name, artist, album, etc, are actually part of the audio stream, tacked on to the very end of the file as a tiny snip of inaudible noise.

Definitely use OGG. Converters are very easy to find, since its an open-source format.
The only problem (at least that I've heard) with OGG is that it takes a small while to load when going into a map, and that just seems a little bit clunky. I could deal with it though if the end result was better loop-wise.

What quality of OGG do you recommend? Does 10 have any issues looping or loading or should I put it at like 7? Would I have to get that fancy little Cogwheel script?
I don't think .oggs have any issues with taking a while to load--at least not with the project I'm working on. I wasn't aware of there BEING more than one kind of .ogg. I've just been saving through a (probably outdated version of) Audacity as an Ogg Vorbis file and have had no problems whatsoever with them.
I've only actually heard the opposite problem - MP3s causing problems for RPG Maker (particularly on lower end machines).

If you're looking to save file space, try somewhere in the 4-6 range. 4 is 128 kbit/s, and 6 is 198 kbit/s (ie. CD-like quality; most users won't notice the difference unless they've got a really good sound system). For the record, 9 is 320 kbit/s (the highest the MP3 standard can go) and 10 is 500 kbit/s.

My personal suggestions are to try 4, 6, 8 (256 kbit/s), and 9 and see which one you like the sound best of (if you're converting from MP3 to OGG, there's no use trying a higher quality than that of the MP3 you're converting from; if you have an original WAV or FLAC file to convert from, go as high as you like).

OGG (in RPG Maker, anyways) also allows you to do a nice trick where you don't have to loop the entire file, just a portion of it.
author=Housekeeping
I wasn't aware of there BEING more than one kind of .ogg.

Pretty sure he just means the bitrate. Though, given that its open-source, I wouldn't be surprised to see a myriad of variants.

author=Travio
OGG (in RPG Maker, anyways) also allows you to do a nice trick where you don't have to loop the entire file, just a portion of it.

I don't think that was a feature in XP.

author=Redd
Would I have to get that fancy little Cogwheel script?

Can't say I've ever heard of it, but as long as you have a method of converting the MP3s to a wave file, then any OGG converter should do. I just used a simple drag-and-drop program called OggDrop (usually 6~7 quality, I never messed around with it much) and everything plays in XP just fine.
author=turkeyDawg
author=Travio
I don't think that was a feature in XP.

Hm, I'd have to double check - I haven't used XP since my old computer gave up the goat.
Okay thank you guys! I'll probably go with 8 :)

and no Travio, you need Cogwheel's script to do that.
Pages: 1