WHAT MAKES YOU WANT TO PLAY ONE GAME OVER ANOTHER?

Pages: first 12 next last
Really. What is it that makes a game stand out? Original art? Original music? Dialog? Combat? Its made by a dev you know. Is it the features list? Is it the fact you get points for reviewing things?
1. Who made the game. If they're well known, respected, or have other highly rated games on RMN, I'm more likely to want to try the game.
2. The screenshots. If it looks visually appealing, I'll probably want to give it a go. I usually pass on RTP games though, because I can't get immersed in them since everyone uses RTP.
3. How good the features/story are. If it sounds promising, I'll give the game a try even if I don't know the creator by name or aren't too impressed with the screenshots.
A profile page that isn't just paragraphs of text. I like it when the game/story/setting is described in just a few lines.
Showing some of the main characters. Having unique art for them helps.
List of features that lists stuff that interests me.
Screenshots. I don't care if it's RTP or custom tiles, as long as the mapping looks good. Screenshots showing dialogue that's fun to read.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Milennin
Screenshots showing dialogue that's fun to read.

...I totally don't have any of this in my gamepage screenshots. Damn, that's a good point. I better remedy that.

For me, personally, in no particular order:

-Some evidence that the developer has the drive to carry the project through. Having previously completed games under their belt is a definite plus. If this is your first project, having at least a demo up with some varied screenshots is definitely a must.

-A game description that's not walls and walls of text. Or, at the very least, a quick paragraph that gives me the overall feel of the game before the walls and walls of text. A huge turn-off is finding that the first text on the gamepage is an elaborate and boring rundown of the setting that goes on and on and on.

-The bullet-points of unique features are always helpful, to me at least.

-Even though I believe you can create a stellar game with just the RTP resources, I must admit that I'm drawn to custom resources and pretty art :D

-I'm a huge fan of interesting or fun characters in a game, so I always look for any sort of cast list when I see a gamepage.
Having a main character that isn't Aluxes or whoever the new stock guy is now. I know not everyone is adept at spriting, but when its the main character of the game, I think you could at least open up MS Paint and try to make a few edits.

Also,
author=unity
-A game description that's not walls and walls of text.

- If it's a well-known dev, then sure, I'll check the game out.
- I tend to place priority on story and characterisation too. However, if the game is by a well-known dev but the story doesn't grab my attention, I'll let it slide, no matter how pretty it is.
- Pretty CSS helps too, but the layout should be pretty easy on the eyes without too much text.
- Decent mapping/visual skills helps out a lot too.

I'm not too well-versed with battles and interesting mechanics though, so that isn't a big priority for me.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
An interesting story concept that stands out. I don't care how good the art or gameplay is. If there isn't a story I can engage with, I don't care.
You can usually judge from the screenshots if the developer has good mapping skills or not. I also like to see if it's just the default battle system and how interesting it looks. Then usually I make a call whether or not it actually looks like something worth playing. If the creator has a good reputation, or has already done interesting things before, then I will play it. Sometimes I'll play a randomly bad game just because I want to remind myself how *not* to do it. Overall if it looks like it's mindblowing or even fun, and/or people have said it's so, then I'll give it a kick.
For me, it’s usually something that catches my eye, like a particular screenshot, character profile, an interesting game mechanic, gameplay movie, etc. or if it’s something fancy that I will more often than not enjoy. I usually don’t care about what engine it’s made in or how huge the file size is as long as it fits my set of criteria. Also, it doesn’t hurt if that particular game is made by somebody that has a long running history of making a whole assortment of good and interesting games here on RMN. Very rarely will I check out anything that even wreaks a scent of amateurism.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Explosions, underdressed ladies, and one-liners
-Something new and fresh! There's nothing wrong with Medieval Fantasy #762, but please do something different with it!
If it can be helped, I'd prefer something totally original but a new spin on something old can be just as interesting. In fact, in some ways I'd say it's even trickier to do.

-As unity said, walls of text on a game page. Why is this acceptable here, when it's not when it's inside the actual game? For me, at least, a massive exposition dump is the most effective way to turn me off a game. If you insist on having a novel dedicated to your game's history, at least start it off with something snappy. For example, tell us what we're going to experience in the game. What happens in the first scene? What's the main conflict? Who are the protagonists?
In the grand scheme of things, what's happening to the player is the important thing. So tell us what we'll be experiencing, instead of an in-depth essay on the royal family's genealogy.

-Concerning graphics, I don't mind RTP. What I do mind is cluttered maps with little practicality. I've seen some very pretty maps in my time, but if at first glance I can't work out where I can walk and where the exits are I'm not going to enjoy playing it.

These are the important points, in my opinion: do something different, tell us what your game is ACTUALLY about and make it playable.
Also,
author=LockeZ
Explosions, underdressed ladies, and one-liners
I value likable characters highly, so I tend to look at the character descriptions early provided there is one. Characterization is highly prioritized over character development, so I pay most attention to their actual personalities.

Other than that, I look for clues that tells me whether or not the author knows how to put things together. The main character may have this tragic back story, but will that actually lead to interesting character development or just annoying melodrama? Does the creator make a good use of the setting or is the setting just a gimmick? Typically, the small details in the project description will tell me that.
author=unity
author=Milennin
Screenshots showing dialogue that's fun to read.
...I totally don't have any of this in my gamepage screenshots. Damn, that's a good point. I better remedy that.

By all means do. To me, this isn't merely important, it's possibly the most important thing I look for.

Fundamentally, what I'm most interested in when I'm deciding whether to download a game or not are demonstrations of skill. Lists of features tell me something about the time and effort the creator put into the game, and what they intended to accomplish, but very little about how well those goals were executed. If the game is supposed to be funny, don't wait until I've downloaded the game to try and make me laugh. If the story is supposed to be gripping, don't just tell me that the game has a strong story, show me how good a writer you are so I can believe in your ability to carry that story off. If the mechanics are supposed to be well thought out and challenging, try and find some screenshots representative of that.

I absolutely disagree with any prescription against putting walls of text on one's description page. Why? Because if the developer does that, and the description isn't actually engaging, I immediately know not to play that game. I want game pages to accurately show me the ability level of the game's creator, not disguise their deficiencies and keep me guessing at the quality they're capable of.
author=Desertopa
I absolutely disagree with any prescription against putting walls of text on one's description page. Why? Because if the developer does that, and the description isn't actually engaging, I immediately know not to play that game. I want game pages to accurately show me the ability level of the game's creator, not disguise their deficiencies and keep me guessing at the quality they're capable of.

I agree, but a shorter blurb and features listed out first is more likely to get me to read that wall of text than if it's just the text itself. Give me a good summary like you'd see on the back of a game first, and if that's good, you've got me hooked to read your long winded version.
Interesting to see so many people say that walls of text on the gamepage is a no-no. What would you people saying so think that the right amount of text is?
Not saying I disagree, just curious since I'm currently editing one of my own gamepages.
-Original Assets, or at least non-stolen ones
-Not being in 2k3
-Not fucking hideously generic
-Not trying way too hard
-If commercial, sensibly priced
author=SnowOwl
Interesting to see so many people say that walls of text on the gamepage is a no-no. What would you people saying so think that the right amount of text is?
Not saying I disagree, just curious since I'm currently editing one of my own gamepages.

To paraphrase something I said in another thread, your goal isn't to get the audience's understanding, it's to get their attention. Say what you need to to get across the things which will interest your target audience.

Suppose you're creating a game which stars a young mercenary named Theodore, who's joined an army invading a country called Fiore to the South of his homeland, and gradually comes to question the morality of his own actions and the expansionist policies of the king in whose service he's enlisted. I have absolutely no opinion about whether I'd like to play a game about a mercenary named Theodore, or a war in a country called Fiore, or whether South is a good direction for it to be. I do have an opinion on whether I'd like to play a game where the protagonist is forced to confront his conception of his own morality, make difficult choices, and change his world outlook. I have opinions about whether I'd like to play a game focusing on a complex political drama, an epic fantasy confrontation or what have you. Focus on the sort of information that helps people decide whether the game will be interesting to them or not, not the sort of information which would help them know what was going on if they jumped into the game midway.

Obviously, this doesn't answer the "how long should it be?" question, but I think that if you leave out everything that's not really relevant, you'll rarely run into the problem of your game description being too long.
To add on to what Desertopa said, your game description should focus on what's interesting about your own game. Lisa (the First) has an incredibly minimal game description, which is fine, because the images sell the game. If your game can't sell itself through its images, sell the story or the gameplay. That's what I tried to do with a Very Long Rope: write a game description as if it were a teaser on the back of a book. It's hard to say if that worked or not, but it's doing pretty decently.
author=ShortStar
Really. What is it that makes a game stand out? Original art? Original music? Dialog? Combat? Its made by a dev you know. Is it the features list? Is it the fact you get points for reviewing things?

Hmm, I think you need to look at this on a case-by-case basis. I mean I can tell you exactly why I didn't even download a game or why I stopped playing it way before I was finished with it, but it's hard to find a general rule.

As for downloading a game at all I often do it like this:
- Look at screenshots: Default assets and especially default battle systems are a big turn-off for me.
- Try to figure out in the description what the goal of the game is (as in the goal the developer had - why he made it): I have several wishes towards games and if the developer of a game picked up one of those wishes and made a game out of it, chances are good that I'll play it. If such a message is completely missing and I can't even conclude anything out of the introduction other than that it's a generic RPG, then it's hard to convince myself to download it. Also sometimes the idea might be great, but also totally not my type of game. This will usually make me skip the game. I'm pretty good in estimating what I like and what I don't like, only in very rare cases something surprises me.
- When still unsure, I might search for videos or look at reviews to grasp if I'll like the game or not.
- Lately I've been trying out the top games in our "Best games of all times" list which I haven't played beforehand, but the things that prevented me from trying them previously really made the games less enjoyable for me too.

I wish more developers would present their game more from their viewpoint. As in "I made this game because I like X and X didn't exist in games at all lately, so I decided to make a game that has X myself." rather than a general description of the plot like "This is about a young boy/girl who gets into X and then has to do Y and eventually he will be caught up in Z."
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Housekeeping
To add on to what Desertopa said, your game description should focus on what's interesting about your own game. Lisa (the First) has an incredibly minimal game description, which is fine, because the images sell the game. If your game can't sell itself through its images, sell the story or the gameplay. That's what I tried to do with a Very Long Rope: write a game description as if it were a teaser on the back of a book. It's hard to say if that worked or not, but it's doing pretty decently.

Personally though, I decided to download and play "A Long Rope To The Top Of The Sky" simply because you made the game "God of the Crawling Eyes" and I wanted to see how a great writer would make a 50-hour long RPG.
Pages: first 12 next last