RAGNAROK BEGAN YESTERDAY!

Pages: first 12 next last
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
If you don't believe me, check this out.

Ahh...time to dust off my copy of Valkyrie Profile.
Here we go again!
These end of the world scares are getting seriously pathetic man. I find it hard to believe that some cosplayer sounding a fancy looking bugel means the gods are dying or whatever Ragnarok is.
I'm getting my serious face on as we speak... Nah, not really. I'm actually smiling.
pianotm
How many times has the world ended in the past ten years? Can anyone count that high? Well, thank goodness Fimbulvinter is here. Maybe we can finally get some cool air in Miami.
I see the guy blowing the horn is wearing standard Norse mascara.
"‘The idea that “boundaries that exist shall crumble” could be said to be about the Internet age, where you can communicate with millions of people simultaneously around the world thanks to the global rise of social media,’ said Ms Daglan."

Yeah, it totally couldn't be said to be about a million other things.
author=Link_2112
Better finish my game asap

Me too. Damn it, so much work to do! Why did the gods have to pick 2014!?
I'm still waiting for comet Ison to kill us all. What happened? ...Well, to give loony people some credit: they're a great source of fiction! =)
I listened to a science program where it actually seems like the Fimbulvinter was real and it happened around the year 500. Some scientist looked at those ice layer or tree ring thingies and found that for about ten years the weather was a lot harsher during those times. I think speculation of the cause was a comet or a volcanic eruption. (since those tend to cause such things)
author=Avee
"‘The idea that “boundaries that exist shall crumble” could be said to be about the Internet age, where you can communicate with millions of people simultaneously around the world thanks to the global rise of social media,’ said Ms Daglan."

Yeah, it totally couldn't be said to be about a million other things.

Reminds me of a guy I know who was visited by door to door evangelists, and let them stay to talk. They talked about all the prophesied signs of the apocalypse, and asked him, "Don't you think that sounds like now?" He responded "I think it sounds like every point in history, ever."
To be fair, Ragnarok technically doesn't destroy the world - if everything goes exactly as planned, the "good" guys triumph at great cost, the world is reborn anew, and life goes on... Only for it all to happen all over again when the cycle closes once more. It could happen and, from a mortal perspective, we might never see it or really comprehend it's occurrence.
Well, if the Ragnarok doesn’t kill us all, I guess then this is the next best thing???

Try harder, end of the world theorists. You almost had me there.
pianotm
author=Shinan
I listened to a science program where it actually seems like the Fimbulvinter was real and it happened around the year 500. Some scientist looked at those ice layer or tree ring thingies and found that for about ten years the weather was a lot harsher during those times. I think speculation of the cause was a comet or a volcanic eruption. (since those tend to cause such things)

We have cycles, my good man, and every few hundred years, we have what is called a "little ice age" of increased glacial migration. You can actually see the effect that these climatic events have on literature. Frankenstein: or the Modern Prometheus, by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley was written after the Mount Krakatoa eruption, the eruption of a supervolcano--think Yellowstone--that spewed ash into the air and lowered the global temperature, another type of "little ice age". Just look at how heavily the climate influenced that tale. There's hardly not a passage in the book that doesn't have the reader shivering just thinking about the cold. Whether the peasant farmer is lamenting the frozen ground (note that the ground is frozen in the growing season...late spring and summer), or Victor is warming his hands in the freezing cavern that he is in while his creation gives his ultimatum, Shelley's book doesn't conceive of a season in which warmth even figures.

During the 1330s, the Catholic church sent exorcists on a mission to a glacier encroaching deep into Germany, to exorcise the demons that were causing the world to freeze. If you can imagine: three men dressed in Vatican robes strolling onto a glacier, burning sage, and chanting the Litany of Saints while one performs the Roman Rite. So yes, Fimbulvinter does have an historical precedent, and the Vikings, dwelling so far north, and having cold related weather problems even at the best of times would put special significance on such events.

While it's been rather cold up in the temperate regions, I can't help but notice that my AC here in Miami is working overtime, and I keep reptiles so I never let it get too cool. No, I don't think Fimbulvinter is anywhere close by.

And I was so looking forward to meeting some Einherjar. Oh, well...I guess the world will spin on.
raging boner right now

Oh my, we gotta get ready, folks.
author=Travio
To be fair, Ragnarok technically doesn't destroy the world - if everything goes exactly as planned, the "good" guys triumph at great cost, the world is reborn anew, and life goes on... Only for it all to happen all over again when the cycle closes once more. It could happen and, from a mortal perspective, we might never see it or really comprehend it's occurrence.

Kinda like the Mayan calendar probably did happen, but its effects were subtle.

The World May Have Already Ended.

Also...

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.
author=bulmabriefs144
author=Travio
Kinda like the Mayan calendar probably did happen, but its effects were subtle.

The World May Have Already Ended.

Also...

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

The Mayan calendar did cycle over - it was just never the end of the world, just the end of an era within their calendar. One of their city-state's kings proclaimed he'd be reborn at a time that falls into approximately the 2300s (2360ish, if I recall the math). There were just a few people that latched onto the "end of the world" style to it because the form we're familiar with is actually a shortened form - there's several more layers deep on it yet to roll through; the actual end of their calendar runs pretty close to the time some scientists predict as the end of the universe - pretty neat mathematically.
We had a pretty warm Ragnarok here in the California Bay Area.
Pages: first 12 next last