WYRM WARRIORS! THE LEGEND MUST GO ON!

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Allowing mid-battle party switching, having good enemy design, and making each character extra-useful in certain situations is probably all you need to encourage the player to collect as many party members as possible.

Though, shit, having a bunch of collectible party members is probably all you need to encourage the player to collect as many party members as possible.

If you're worried about someone potentially getting stuck due to a lack of characters, then I'd probably just lock certain dungeons until the criteria are met. Nothing fancy like environmental puzzles, just make them unenterable. Certain party members can have events where they send you to certain dungeons as personal quests once you have enough people (now that we have a large group, I think we should head to my abandoned hideout and get the treasure I left there). Or NPC dialogue that unlocks dungeons can be dependant on having several specific characters on the team (A magical girl, a pyromaniac, and a babysitter! Just the group of people it would take to rescue my kidnapped child from the Evil Mistress of Ice's villain of the week!). Or for minimal effort, you could even just do a thing like Mario 64 does with requiring a certain number of stars to enter each dungeon, but with characters instead of stars.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Arandomgamemaker
Could you post some screenshots of the stuff Craze has done so far?

Sure, I'll get that up today or tomorrow.

author=LockeZ
Certain party members can have events where they send you to certain dungeons as personal quests once you have enough people (now that we have a large group, I think we should head to my abandoned hideout and get the treasure I left there). Or NPC dialogue that unlocks dungeons can be dependant on having several specific characters on the team (A magical girl, a pyromaniac, and a babysitter! Just the group of people it would take to rescue my kidnapped child from the Evil Mistress of Ice's villain of the week!).

I like this a lot, as long as we get all the main game stuff out of the way first. This will open up a way to add a lot of extra content :D

author=LockeZ
Or for minimal effort, you could even just do a thing like Mario 64 does with requiring a certain number of stars to enter each dungeon, but with characters instead of stars.

I kinda like that, personally. Maybe the Wyrm Wizard sealed certain dungeons and locations and they require Soul Energy or something else that's granted by recruiting allies.
I like the idea of certain party members requiring a quest before they join the party. That would allow character development of sorts if the creator wants that.

Thinking on it, the Mario 64 idea is actually really great! It would give people a reason to talk to NPCs. We could also lock dungeons if they don't have a character who's essential. Like "The way to the tree is a twisted maze. You need a guide to reach it".

How's leveling going to work, by the way? Is it going to be based on collecting accessories without actual leveling, like Wine & Roses?

I think we should post up a list of all the maps in the game, and then we can each reserve a map that we're going to make. At the end of the day, we can connect them all together somehow.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Arandomgamemaker
I like the idea of certain party members requiring a quest before they join the party. That would allow character development of sorts if the creator wants that.

Thinking on it, the Mario 64 idea is actually really great! It would give people a reason to talk to NPCs. We could also lock dungeons if they don't have a character who's essential. Like "The way to the tree is a twisted maze. You need a guide to reach it".

Yeah, that's a good way of going about it. Ultimately, it would be up to the creators of the characters to how much dialog and development their characters get, as I'd need their help writing those scenarios.

author=Arandomgamemaker
How's leveling going to work, by the way? Is it going to be based on collecting accessories without actual leveling, like Wine & Roses?

Going by LockeZ's setup at the start of topic (with a few small modifications we discussed) each participating character gains one level per battle, and at the end of the dungeon, all characters get brought up to the highest possible level of the team. I hadn't planned anything special for the levels and skill acquiring aside from the basic "you gain levels, you learn skills" model.

author=thatbennyguy
I think we should post up a list of all the maps in the game, and then we can each reserve a map that we're going to make. At the end of the day, we can connect them all together somehow.

Back on the Locations thread, I've listed all the locations and opened up making them to the people who created them. (After some time I'll open it up so anyone can make any map, I just want the creators of the locations to have the option first).

I'll be making a Design A Dungeon thread soon, and after we get dungeons written up, I'll lay out the entire world structure for us to look at.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=thatbennyguy

Hrm. Some kind of combination of pixel quilt and Manor Map Madness?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You can always connect things via a world map. Probably a good idea if there's gonna be a lot of nonlinear or semi-nonlinear choices of where to go. Also probably a good idea if you want the battles to take place in specific dungeons and not just on the road.

So I wouldn't worry too much about connecting stuff together. Just make the maps.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah, world map sounds like the best idea.
unity
You're magical to me.
Here are some screenshots of what we have so far, as requested. I'll get a Dropbox link for those who want a closer look at everything in a bit.

As you can see, the currency in the game is Makerscore XD

Yay for characters!

The Formation screen.

author=Sooz
Yeah, world map sounds like the best idea.

As much as I like interconnected worlds in the Earthbound style, this project is probably not the best place for it. A world map will make things much simpler.
I'm loving the sprite-work and facesets. They give a really cohesive feel to the project. Also, there seem to be a lot of passive skills right now. The scripts have a lot of awesome coding in there too (that I probably want to use in future projects now ;)).

Is there still any plans to release the project to the public via Dropbox? Not everyone has to have writing priveleges, but just reading priveleges so that we can download it and take a look at what we're dealing with hands-on? Or would that ruin the spirit of the project.

The reason why I say this is because I don't necessarily want one person to be in control of creating the entire game. When Craze was at the helm, it was OK, because I was confident in his abilities to pull it off. But it'd be nice if we could nominate a group of people who we know are well-known for producing good-quality games to helm the project. A project managing team, if you will.

I know Unity can be in control of the organization of the project, but we can get a few other people to have access to the files, no?
unity
You're magical to me.
author=thatbennyguy
I'm loving the sprite-work and facesets. They give a really cohesive feel to the project. Also, there seem to be a lot of passive skills right now. The scripts have a lot of awesome coding in there too (that I probably want to use in future projects now ;)).

Is there still any plans to release the project to the public via Dropbox? Not everyone has to have writing priveleges, but just reading priveleges so that we can download it and take a look at what we're dealing with hands-on? Or would that ruin the spirit of the project.

The reason why I say this is because I don't necessarily want one person to be in control of creating the entire game. When Craze was at the helm, it was OK, because I was confident in his abilities to pull it off. But it'd be nice if we could nominate a group of people who we know are well-known for producing good-quality games to helm the project. A project managing team, if you will.

I know Unity can be in control of the organization of the project, but we can get a few other people to have access to the files, no?

Okay, click here for the Dropbox link to the file.

As I said in the locations thread, I'm doing this because I want to make sure the game gets done. But I'm totally fine with others taking bigger roles in development. I don't have any full games released on the site yet and haven't proved myself in any way yet, so I have no problem at all with opening this project up to more experienced developers to take the lead, as long as they're willing to make time for the project ^_^
Oh sweet this is so cool~

Now then, the task for right now is to start designing the maps. If when you're making the map you're like "Boy, maybe George could give a quest to hunt a rare monster before he joins" or something like that, let us know!

For progression, the Mario 64 style really does work. However, for the final dungeon what if we locked it with something more?

Let's say there were six crystals that were needed. The leaders of the world happen to own these crystals, but they need your help, either with a sandwich or a sacred dungeon being taken by a powerful demon.

That would give people a good reason to visit towns instead of possibly skipping such places once they have enough party members.

Random thought I had.
Each continent could have a crystal. 6 continents, with 5 dungeons / areas to unlock the continental dungeon with the continent crystal. When you accomplish 4 dungeons in a continent it opens the continent crystal dungeon. Once the first continent is completed, you get a ship for 3 other continents. Then once you accomplish them, you get an airship to fly to the last 2 continents.

Super RMN Bros.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=unity
I don't have any full games released on the site yet and haven't proved myself in any way yet, so I have no problem at all with opening this project up to more experienced developers to take the lead, as long as they're willing to make time for the project ^_^

Something tells me you can handle this.
So you're trying to make a Crazegame? Don't forget the enemy battlers.

Just make your own game. Its your game, not Craze's. He gave that up.
Don't be scared just because you haven't made a game for the site. You'll do fine! We'll be with you all the way.

unity
You're magical to me.
Here's a quick mapping-style test that a whipped together for the starting screen of the Keep of Legends: Looking for feedback, but I was ultimately going for a simple style for the game. Though, admittedly, for my first VX Ace game I'm using a custom tileset so I'm new to using the VXA RTP.

Also, what is everyone's opinions on the autoshadows? I personally dislike them, and in my own projects use the kill-autoshadows script, but I want to hear from other mappers.

Back on to the topic of the gameplay overall. Do we want to go for the crystals idea (they could look like the diamond-tessellation symbol from this site) or is just collecting the party members good enough?

author=thatbennyguy
<edited out>

I saw this before you edited out, thatbennyguy. It was a comprehensive analyzation of Craze's mapping style and how to emulate it, and it was very well written. I didn't answer to it at the time because I wasn't sure how strictly I wanted to follow it (for example, I personally would rather not have every map just be a single screen) but for the most part, I could see it really working for this project, at least from a visual style to adhere to. Why did you take it down?

author=Marrend
Somethingtells me you can handle this.

Thanks! I just think that just having a demo out might not inspire nearly the level of confidence in the project than having it run by someone who is a master of the craft and has tons of games out like Craze.

author=Arandomgamemaker
Don't be scared just because you haven't made a game for the site. You'll do fine! We'll be with you all the way.

Thanks! I'm not scared (well, except maybe of the coding part :P ) and I think that with everyone's help, we can make a great game.
The crystal idea would allow people who want a little character development to go on to have that. Not to mention, it would allow there to be a more focused plot, since there wouldn't be just quests.

Hm, think like Majora's Mask. It has a lot of side content and minigames, but the entire game you know you need to beat the four dungeons to beat the game.