WYRM WARRIORS! DESIGN A DUNGEON!

Pages: first 123 next last
unity
You're magical to me.
We've got characters and non-dungeon locations, so it's time to make some dungeons!

Let's shoot for five required dungeons, and four optional dungeons, to start out. (Not including the final one with the Wyrm Wizard) Each of the five required dungeons has a giant mystical diamond that the player must collect to unlock the next region of the world.

Rather than each diamond having a traditional element like the old Final Fantasties, let's give each a unique theme and base the dungeon it's in around that. Any sort of virtue, feeling, emotion, or archetype will work work, but the more creative the better. For a very generic example, if a dungeon has the Diamond of Courage, the dungeon its in could have tests of will and spooky enemies.

Use this template for Required Dungeons (the ones with the Diamonds):
Required Dungeon's Name:
Diamond Element: (see above)
Description: (the more info and ideas, the better!)
Monsters: (the kinds of monsters that would populate this dungeon)
Boss: (what sort of being protects the Diamond from the heroes?)
Other Notes:

And this one for Optional Dungeons (which can have character tie-ins and late game loot):
Optional Dungeon's Name:
Character Tie-Ins: (Are certain characters required to enter the dungeon? Does something in the dungeon relate to them or their past?)
Description: (again, the more info and ideas, the better!)
Boss: (does the dungeon have a boss? What is it?)
Special Items: (given that these are optional, what's the reward?)
Other Notes:

EDIT: There's a third possibility, a Cursed Dungeon that serves as a passageway between parts of Aremen:

Passage Dungeon's Name:
Any Character ties?:
Description: (the more info and ideas, the better!)
Boss: (the boss that guards the Cursed Orb)
Other Notes:
Optional Dungeon's Name: The Labyrinth of Madness
Character Tie-Ins: None yet!
Description: The entire dungeon is a giant maze. It is filled with diabolical switch puzzles and the dreaded rock push puzzles, although the harder ones are reserved for treasure.
Monsters: Mostly crazy humanoid type foes that have gone insane from the maze. Clowns, Priests, you name it. It also has a lot of demon archetype monsters, such as imps, medusas, and those annoying flying enemies that always have a blind ability for some reason.
Boss: A floating hexagon, which is the source of the craziness going on in the maze. It uses a lot of status effects, along with light and earth based attacks.
Special Items:
- A Mania Crown, which randomly confuses a player but buffs their stats.
- A Confuse Sword, which of course confuses an enemy.
- Demon Armor, which is very strong and fire resistant.
Other Notes: This dungeon can't be tackled until the party has at least 15 members.
Optional Dungeon's Name: Forgotten Home
Character Tie-Ins: Requires Rackward and Belladonne. This was their home before Belladonne had enough of pirate life and led the ocean authorities to the den to leave with them.
Description: Maybe some puzzles where you have to remember things like paths, codes etc. It'd be a pirate cave mostly submerged in water the dungeon would be between decrepit ships. Two land pieces in cave, one is available when you enter and the other is beyond the ships that have crashed into each other forming a majority of the dungeon. The goodies are at the other end in the nursery and captain's quarters. Has become a breeding ground for dragons and spirits haunt it.
Monsters: Baby dragons, water spirits, dark spirits, rogue pirates (they want the treasure left in the den depths)
Boss: Mama Dragon, uses many water and dark attacks. Uses many hit all attacks but its strongest attacks are its single hit attacks.
Special Items: Much gold, not quite sure how much is a lot yet. Baby rattle which makes the person equipped regain HP every turn. Badass Eyepatch which makes the person equipped never miss.
Other Notes: You need a ship to enter.
Required Dungeon's Name: The Archives of the Seraphim

Diamond Element: Diamond of Passion

Description: A worldly, rundown,maze-like ruin. Within lies a small shrine which teleports you into a more ethereal location where harder enemies, greater riches, and the actual Archives await. Within the many floors of the Archives, you must forge your way past a maze of magic library shelves that change as you read the books. Past that, lies a stone librarian that allows you to pass either by correctly answering her riddle or bringing her the lost tome hidden away in the shelf puzzle. Afterwards, you find yourself in the corridors of the Great Archives of the Seraphim, where you may find the entrance to the chamber where Ein and the Diamond of Passion lie.

Monsters:
-Cursed Flying Books that dish high-speed, high-damage attacks, at the expense of health and defense.
-Seraphim: Flying, angel-like beings that dish physical damage while being highly resistant to magic.
-Granite Lions: A nod to those lions sitting outside of Libraries, these things dish and take physical punishment like bosses, but can't cope very well with the elements.
-Sprites: Humanoid creatures, some even have wings. Think of these as the cannon fodder of the enemies here.
-Bookworms: Primarily located during the Shelf section, these buggers hit fast and flee often. Think of them as harassers.
-Page Moths: Seeking the silk pages of the oldest books, they ferociously attack anything that stands in their way. Fragile, they dish out all kinds of damage. Perhaps they could also be fighting with the Serpahim? Monster in-fighting, yay!
-Undead Scholars: Tanks that exist merely to soak up damage. They are old human scholars who died in this place, but desired so strongly to continue gaining knowledge that they continued to research in the undeath.

Boss: The Fallen Angel, Ein. An angel who relinquished his status in Heaven to protect the passion of humanity, he brandishes his massive blade to ward off those who would dare to destroy it. His age, and thus senility, has led him to believe that the rightful owners and protectors of the Diamond, I.E. Your party, are demons that seek to annihilate the world. This battle is to display your party's fervor. As such, Ein constantly shifts weaknesses and attack styles. Your party must continuously adapt to his tactics to dish out a large amount of damage over a set amount of time. Should you fail, you may try again, but his tactics become even more chaotic.

Other Notes: The Archives are a holy place, thus, perhaps it should deny passage to the more...morally ambiguous members of the party? Being a library, this place should have riddles galore. Of course, those answers should be hidden away within the library itself, to prevent bad things from happening.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Optional Dungeon's Name: The Quartz Quarry

Character Tie-Ins: None (they can be recommended to me, though. I don't quite know all of the characters yet)

Description: The Quartz Quarry is a cavern labyrinth filled with abandoned mineshafts, walled to the brim with quartz. Unlike other minerals, the quartz in this dungeon cause the entire cavern to constantly travel through time, and it makes itself existent and non-existent within several different time periods; The dungeon is multi-dimensional in a sense. Years ago, there was a mining operation set within the cavern to obtain the mysterious quartz, but as workers, and even the landscape suddenly started to vanish and reappear in new forms constantly, the operation was shut down.

Conceptually, the dungeon is a maze that revolves around using special quartz crystals to "travel through time" and alter the terrain for the player. Altering the terrain by "travelling" through the past, present, and future would be the key to solving the dungeon's central puzzle (Perhaps, you could make certain objects that existed in the past exist in another time period through some sort of action? That would be cool, too).

Monsters: Monsters that regularly appear in caves, as well as ones that are mineral-based and those that "control time" in some way (such as using slows or speed buffs) would work best here. Here are my ideas so far:

-----Cryo Crypter A golem-like monster made of crystal. Would have high physical defense and whittles the party down through the use of physical attacks and a slowing spell.

-----Chrono Bat A variation of whatever bat enemy you'd like to use in the game that uses a "time travelling" spell to make it invulnerable for a single turn. To balance it out, I'd make it's entire "vanishing" attack pattern predictable.

-----Rift Walker A ghost or specter type of monster.

Boss: Perhaps a boss that is easy to defeat, but must be repeatedly faced in the "past", "present", and "future" settings of the dungeon. It would appear like a humanoid, goddess like creature made out of quartz. That, or we can screw having a boss for this dungeon.

Special Items: The Mystic Quartz. It allows the player to travel through time at any specific point in the overworld. It could feasibly be used to obtain bonus items, or even let the player in on certain character backstories or whatnot.

Other Notes: Since the dungeon is multi-demensional and all that, maybe it'll become available only at a certain point within the game, as if the dungeon "suddenly" opens itself? I'm open to tweaks with this idea.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hitori the Magical Girl is from another dimension, so tying her into the Quartz Quarry would make sense. She's not the kind of character I would expect to really get any development or side-stories though. So maybe she could join the team there? She could be trying to find her way back home, but join the party when she learns about the Wyrm Wizard.

We should probably be describing why the party goes to these optional dungeons. What brings the party to the Quartz Quarry and Labyrinth of Madness? (The Forgotten Home is a little more obvious - your party members already know they left useful supplies there, so no further reason probably needs to be given to visit it.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=unity
Let's shoot for five required dungeons, and four optional dungeons, to start out.
We're gonna have more towns than dungeons unless this gets expanded a little!

I don't know if having more towns than dungeons is bad. If several of the towns have some battles and stuff in them, then it'll end up fine.

...so I guess I'll try to work toward making that happen right now

Marison Docks
Type: Mandatory
Diamond Element: Diamond of Freedom

Located within the poorest district of the town of Marison, the docks are often full of beggars, thieves, and worse. But recently they're also full of a ruthless mafia-like gang of assassins, the Gavetti League.

The player learns from Gambino, the witch hunter, that the assassins have taken over the docks and are in possession of the Diamond of Freedom. Gambino is tracking a witch, Maricela, who he believes to be working with the assassins, and joins your party here. Gavetti League bodyguards will block the entrance to the docks as NPCs until the player has learned from Gambino that they are assassins, at which point they can be fought in order to gain access to the dungeon.

Several warehouses as well as the roads in the docks area are more or less under the full control of the Gavetti League. The path through the dungeon winds in and out of warehouses along the river. The diamond is being kept in a large warehouse, the key to which is in a different warehouse.

The head of the Gavetti League is Lantwese's uncle, Gavetti. She is unaware of this fact, however. If she's been recruited prior to completing this dungeon, additional dialogue involving her will occur.

Enemies: Humans. All types of powerful warriors of blade and magic, as well as thieves. They can share many if not all of their skills with player characters, giving them a wide variety of attacks that the player should hopefully already be familiar with.

Sub-boss: Maricela. A witch, wanted for dozens of murders and human sacrifice. She has joined the Gavetti League. Uses magical hexes to weaken and paralyze the player, and summons demons to attack for her.

Boss: Boss Gavetti. A mob boss and expert hitman. Hired by the Wyrm Wizard to obtain the Diamond of Freedom and secure a covert foothold in the nation of Aremen. Uses a rotation of powerful physical attacks to assassinate one player character at a time, forcing the player to constantly shift in new characters.

Other Notes: I was actually thinking that the Diamond of Freedom could have two required dungeons, and this would be the second one. When you get to the end of the first dungeon, where the diamond is supposed to be, you find out that the Gavetti League got there first. However, that's not strictly necessary - only if we end up wanting more mandatory dungeons in the end.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
We're gonna have more towns than dungeons unless this gets expanded a little!

I don't know if having more towns than dungeons is bad. If several of the towns have some battles and stuff in them, then it'll end up fine.

Hmm, good point. Maybe expand the number of diamond dungeons to six or eight, and make some required dungeons that aren't strictly ones with the diamonds in them.

author=LockeZ
Sub-boss: Maricela. A witch, wanted for dozens of murders and human sacrifice. She has joined the Gavetti League. Uses magical hexes to weaken and paralyze the player, and summons demons to attack for her.

I'm guessing she joins after the battle? She doesn't have demon-summoning capabilities on her own, so having her say something about using an item or talisman to summon them before the battle would work.

I really like this idea of the Gavetti League getting there first and this being the second dungeon for the Diamond of Freedom. Let's do that!
Uh I can jump in and do some of these dungeons. Actually make them. Assuming everyone is okay with my dungeon making style. Are we doing 1 tile high for the walls like Craze or 2 tiles high?

Is it more than just 1 screen or is it 1 screen like Craze? I think this was discussed in the other topic, but well. I'd rather be making maps than reading :-)
unity
You're magical to me.
Go for it! You have a great style!

I couldn't get a consensus on how close to Craze's style we wanted the maps, so I'm going to say to make the dungeon in your own style. Differing dungeon designs will actually, in my opinion, make the game more interesting as they'll spice things up.
LockeZ
...hmm. I was actually just going off of Gambino's character description, where he stated he was hunting a witch named Maricela, and didn't even realize you'd already made Maricela into a character.

CHANGE OF PLANS.

Sub-boss: Maricela. A dark knight, branded a witch and heretic. She has been blackmailed into joining the Gavetti league; they have stolen her soulstone, the source of her power. She uses a talisman to summon demons alongside her in battle, but it is destroyed during the fight. At critical HP she will escape from the battle instead of dying. She takes back her soulstone and joins the party after you kill Boss Gavetti; when she offers to help defeat the Wyrm Wizard, Gambino is conflicted, and permanently joins the party to keep watch over her.

Re: more mandatory dungeons, I'm not sure we should worry about it until we're done mapping your original plan of nine dungeons, since this plus all the non-dungeon locations will already be a lot of maps to make. And a lot of the non-dungeon locations will have like a single boss battle or whatever, anyway. Presumably.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=LockeZ
...hmm. I was actually just going off of Gambino's character description, where he stated he was hunting a witch named Maricela, and didn't even realize you'd already made Maricela into a character.

Haha, yeah, Maricela was my first character for WW, and preceded Gambino's creation. ^_^ I really like how you changed the battle to suit her. Thanks!

author=LockeZ
Re: more mandatory dungeons, I'm not sure we should worry about it until we're done mapping your original plan of nine dungeons, since this plus all the non-dungeon locations will already be a lot of maps to make. And a lot of the non-dungeon locations will have like a single boss battle or whatever, anyway. Presumably.

Good point.
Alright started on Arandomgamemaker's dungeon.

So far I have an incomplete 5 floor dungeon with multi tiers via staircases. I originally started with a grand cube map, since it is a grand puzzle dungeon. It was going to be floor 1 = 3 maps, floor 2 = 9 maps, floor 3 = 9 maps making a cube. That was too daunting, plus its tough to make 27 maps feel fresh. The gimmick would have been pulling switches makes the map placement shift like X1Y1Z1 would shift to be X2Y1Z1 or something like that.
LockeZ
I will attempt to actually map the docks in the near future.
I need to withdraw from making a dungeon. Work is killing me.
unity
You're magical to me.
Understood. If you'd like to send me what you've already done and either I or someone else can try to finish it, that'd be appreciated, if you're cool with that.

author=LockeZ
I will attempt to actually map the docks in the near future.

Excellent! Looking forward to see what you do!
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Can we still do this?
unity
You're magical to me.
Yes! This thread is still open and we are still very much in need of dungeon ideas! Any contributions are welcome :D
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I know I'm way late for this, and I don't even own RPG Maker VX Ace, but I really like the ideas behind this project. Would you allow me to contribute an idea for a dungeon (even if I can't create it myself)?
unity
You're magical to me.
Sure! Go ahead ^_^
Pages: first 123 next last