WYRM WARRIORS! DESIGN A DUNGEON!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Okay, here we go.

Required Dungeon's Name: Dome of Order
Diamond Element: Diamond of Logic

Description: A huge dungeon that is based on the idea of absolute order and symmetry. Puzzles will be either logic based (figuring out codes or ciphers; hints can be found throughout the dungeon) or have to do with "restoring order" (for example by finding and removing something that doesn't fit).
The Dome should be easy to navigate in principle, but have lots of small rooms and corridors that often look very similar (too much order can be confusing, too, after all).

Monsters: Monsters can look like geometrical shapes that have come alive. They would have slightly higher stats than average monsters, but would always use their skills in a regular sequence. That way, the player can effectively plan his counter-strategies after he has found out a particular enemy's skill pattern. The enemies' skill names should be based on mathematical operations or other examples of "order".

Boss: The "boss" guarding the Diamond consists of multiple enemies that look like or are based on the form of numbers. These need to be defeated in a specific order. All of them are participating in the fight, but only one (for example the one with the lowest "number") can be damaged. All other "boss parts" are invincible until the right one has been defeated, then the next one of the sequence becomes vulnerable. Also, the last "boss part" can have a skill called "Divide", which shows an animation that looks like the target is literally divided into two parts, then halves the target's current HP.

Other Notes: Since logic based puzzles aren't everyone's cup of tea, enough hints should be available (either to be found inside the dungeon or provided by party members) so they don't become frustrating.
Some characters could also speak their mind about the dungeon for additional flavour: More logical characters could say how they appreciate the atmosphere of the Dome, while more impulsive characters could complain that this type of stuff isn't what they became adventurers for.
Since "The Labyrinth of Madness" (Arandomgamemaker's optional dungeon) is more or less a chaos-themed dungeon, it could be an idea to connect these two. There could be a hidden treasure chest somewhere in the Dome that contains an item (maybe: "Key of Entropy") that would later grant the party access to the "Labyrinth of Madness". Just an idea, though.

I hope this dungeon idea is at least somewhat useful to you.
unity
You're magical to me.
That's very nice, and like you said, can be opposite the Labyrinth of Madness. Very well done, we can certainly use this! ^_^
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Required Dungeon's Name:Deception's Depths
Diamond Element: Diamond of Lies
Description: This dungeon is basically a bunch of illusions, tricks and traps. Puzzles would have something to do with seeing through these illusions and not falling for the tricks or traps. For example, having an enemy an another side of a glass wall do everything you do, and you'd have to make them mimic you into a pit or something.

Monsters: Mimics, enigmas(magical beasty things) and warped souls (people tortured by deception or something)

Boss: Have something (I'm not picky) that changes poses every something turns, like "Defense" pose that in actuality is the exact opposite.
'Attack' Pose: Has extremely boosted defense/barrier. Gives status, counter attacks.
'Defense' Pose: Has extremely boosted attack/magic attack.
'Drained' Pose: a pose where if it get's hit, it gets healed.
or something similar.

Other Notes:
I have no ideas for character tie-ins or anything of the sort.

Optional Dungeon's Name:Cold Heart Cave
Character Tie-Ins: Anybody can potentially tie-in with this dungeon, whether it be someone's parent(s) that attempted to explore this cave along with a lot of others in the past, or someone got frozen inside by the beasty that lies within......
Description: A cave carved into a mountain by an ice spirit. It's cold inside but you don't see large chunks of ice until you get deep inside. In the past, a group of adventurers explored the cave's depths and no one came back. At the bottom of the cave is a shrine and on the shrine is the Ice Spirit.

Monsters: Anything that has to do with ice. Ice wisps, frost bats etc.
Boss: The Ice Spirit.
Special Items: Frost Queen's Jewel, grants immunity/absorption of Ice elemental attacks.
Other Notes: None.

An optional Dungeon and a required dungeon!
unity
You're magical to me.
Oooh, I like both of these. Nice additions to the dungeons. Also, I have a boss that could work well for the Deception's Depths. It's an Iron Maiden with a closed and open pose. The open pose with the spikes sticking out could be the defending one, and I could make an edited one for the Drained pose ^_^
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Sounds perfect! The "Maiden" part could be a trick as well, like the maiden is actually a demon or something.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yep! I'm not sure if I could edit the head to be a demon for one of the poses (as I'm not sure I could emulate the art style so it looks right) but I might give it a try at some point. Here's the graphic, by the way:

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm thinking the boss of the Cold-Heart Cave needs to be Czarina.

*totally not joking*
unity
You're magical to me.
Haha, I don't see why not!
Required Dungeon's Name: Dimensional Castle
Diamond Element: Diamond of Pursuit
Description: A floating castle that randomly warps between dimensions.
Monsters: Elementals abound here, due to the dimensional travel. Some undead also dwell here.
Boss: Sleeping Tyrant. A tyrannical leader from an empire long forgotten, who fell to the chaos of the castle, and dissapeared. He has no consciousness anymore, and will not spare the heroes. Deals A wide reange of dark and elemental attacks, primarily magic based, but also inflicts minor status effects.
Other Notes: This dungeon should have different areas with different "elements" each floor, such as: damage floors for fire, sliding puzzles for ice, and so on.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Required Dungeon's Name: Sleeping Mausoleum

Diamond Element: Diamond of Apathy

Description: A relatively small, dark and dusty underground dungeon with a few secret treasure chambers. The boss room is quite easy to find, but to actually fight him the party must find a special key first. To get this key, they must find their way through a more or less typical medium-sized maze. The special thing about this maze is that it is slowly but surely getting darker in there until the screen turns completely black. If the player doesn't manage to find the exit before that happens, he could either be kicked back to the maze entry or have to face a mini-boss, after which the process is restarted.

Monsters: The Mausoleum is populated by nocturnal creatures like wildcats, large moths and bats. And, of course, skeletons and other undead.

Boss: The boss is an undead mummy preserved inside a massive sarcophagus. To open this sarcophagus, the player needs the key from the maze.
The mummy shouldn't be too strong, but have a nasty ability that deals damage to multiple targets (two or three, but not the entire party) and has a chance to put them to sleep. Also, the mummy should regenerate a small amount of health every turn.
unity
You're magical to me.
I like! This is a great idea! I have one suggestion, though. Rather than getting darker and going to black, what if your field of vision keeps shrinking (think Dragon Quest and torches) until everything is black, and then you're kicked out to the maze entry?

Granted, this may just be my own preferences sneaking in, as I get a headache when I have to stare at a dark screen to find things.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Can there be a wind elemental called a Squall inside the apathy dungeons that uses an attack called "...Whatever"
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Unity, since you're the one who's actually behind this project, you don't have to ask me for permission to change things. I was merely giving a suggestion for a dungeon, so please do with it whatever you think works best. I have complete faith in you. ^_^

LockeZ, I second your suggestion.
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks a lot! ^_^ I also want to be true to the visions of the people who design the dungeons, so that's why I ask.

I'll use your design for the first Diamond Dungeon. It's perfect!
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
author=unity
Thanks a lot! ^_^ I also want to be true to the visions of the people who design the dungeons, so that's why I ask.

I'll use your design for the first Diamond Dungeon. It's perfect!

Consider a <> layout too...
unity
You're magical to me.
What's a <> layout?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=unity
What's a <> layout?

The shape of the dungeon, perhaps? That's what "layout" usually means.

Doesn't it?
unity
You're magical to me.
Oh, right XD;;
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
Spe
author=NeverSilent
Okay, here we go.

Required Dungeon's Name: Dome of Order
Diamond Element: Diamond of Logic

Description: A huge dungeon that is based on the idea of absolute order and symmetry. Puzzles will be either logic based (figuring out codes or ciphers; hints can be found throughout the dungeon) or have to do with "restoring order" (for example by finding and removing something that doesn't fit).
The Dome should be easy to navigate in principle, but have lots of small rooms and corridors that often look very similar (too much order can be confusing, too, after all).

Monsters: Monsters can look like geometrical shapes that have come alive. They would have slightly higher stats than average monsters, but would always use their skills in a regular sequence. That way, the player can effectively plan his counter-strategies after he has found out a particular enemy's skill pattern. The enemies' skill names should be based on mathematical operations or other examples of "order".

Boss: The "boss" guarding the Diamond consists of multiple enemies that look like or are based on the form of numbers. These need to be defeated in a specific order. All of them are participating in the fight, but only one (for example the one with the lowest "number") can be damaged. All other "boss parts" are invincible until the right one has been defeated, then the next one of the sequence becomes vulnerable. Also, the last "boss part" can have a skill called "Divide", which shows an animation that looks like the target is literally divided into two parts, then halves the target's current HP.

Other Notes: Since logic based puzzles aren't everyone's cup of tea, enough hints should be available (either to be found inside the dungeon or provided by party members) so they don't become frustrating.
Some characters could also speak their mind about the dungeon for additional flavour: More logical characters could say how they appreciate the atmosphere of the Dome, while more impulsive characters could complain that this type of stuff isn't what they became adventurers for.
Since "The Labyrinth of Madness" (Arandomgamemaker's optional dungeon) is more or less a chaos-themed dungeon, it could be an idea to connect these two. There could be a hidden treasure chest somewhere in the Dome that contains an item (maybe: "Key of Entropy") that would later grant the party access to the "Labyrinth of Madness". Just an idea, though.

I hope this dungeon idea is at least somewhat useful to you.
How about a different kind of logic puzzle- one involving light? In a lesser-known SNES game called Fire Striker, the hero used magic as a pinball, bouncing it off surfaces to destroy obstacles and attack enemies;likewise light beams appeared as a puzzle element in some of the Wind Waker temples. So how about having to bounce fireballs or light beams off of mirrors to hit certain faraway switches, or using lenses to change their color so they may destroy certain barriers- red light to smash green barriers, and vice versa? Maybe even a combination of both?

E.G."Using two mirrors and one red, one green, and one clear lens, stand on the platform to the west and destroy the barriers to the north, first the red, then the green, in a single shot."
Which you'd solve by arranging the lenses (L) between the barriers(B) like so: L BL L B, then using the mirrors to bounce the light into the green lens. (That is, the ball of white light would turn green, smash through the red wall, continue through the clear lens and turn white again (Not quite how light really works, I know), then pass through the red lens and destroy the green wall. )
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
@BurningTyger:
Although I don't exactly see what your puzzle idea has to do with the concept of "order", it's still a pretty good idea in my opinion. I'm not sure if the Dome is the perfect place for it, but that's for unity to decide.
Either way, I like your suggestion and hope it can be implemented somewhere in the game.
Pages: first prev 123 next last