ARE THERE ANY WRITING CLASSES ONLINE?

Pages: 1
I was wondering if anyone knew or could make any recommendation about if there are any online writing courses that are worth my time. I would like one that did not focus on the construction of plot, story and characters, but rather how to structure sentences properly and how to make your English more of a pleasure to read. I know that when I write for this forum or my university, I find myself making the same mistakes again and again, even if I'm not sure what they are. For instance, I've heard that ending a sentence in a preposition is bad. I have also heard some comments about my own writing (e.g. that I use too many commas, or structure my sentences weirdly). I'm not exactly sure how to remedy that, but I would like to know if there are any forums or online courses that will help make my writing more readable. I imagine there may be some kind of service where I can send in a sample of my writing, and a qualified expert can suggest changes to my writing style. That is, if such a service exists.

Thanks in advance :)

Edit: I am willing to pay money.
Sounds like a grammar class might help. There's a certain class that I took - Editing I think it was (it was years ago now) - that helped a lot in that regard. You could also invest in Strunk and White's 'Elements of Style'. I'm pretty sure it had exercises in it and it's like the Bible of writing rules.

But yeah, Editing and Style classes would probably be what you're looking for. I don't personally know of any, but I can touch base with a few people who might and get back to you with any information they have. Not sure it'll pan out though. >.<;
Ending with a preposition is technically incorrect, but you have to structure your sentences in almost pompous sounding ways to get around it.

Example: "Where'd you get that from?" should technically be "From where did you get that?" but no one would say that other than grammarians and old money.

I recommend just buying a good grammar book. Sin and Syntax was pretty decent for a book on grammar. It takes some liberties with archaic rules, but it's generally good, and, frankly, that's welcome. I don't like how it recommends using he/she instead of they, though, but if that's the only thing I remember disagreeing with, then it must be alright. If you're looking for online college English classes, I would recommend against that. There may be some decent ones, but my brother has taught for some in the past (though for political science), and they're structured around "how to make money" rather than "how to teach students" even more than regular colleges, which is saying something.

I grade freshman composition, so I'm going to give you my stock advice: improving your style is something that only happens when you're constantly assessing yourself. Take the time to proofread everything you write and keep the mistakes that you generally make in mind as you do so. That grammar book will help, but thinking critically about your writing over time is the best way to improve it. Also, I know you said you don't want to work on plot/characters/etc., but creative writing classes will help your style improve as well. This is because 1) peer pressure will make you extremely self-conscious and 2) you'll be editing other peoples' work, which will force you to constantly look up rules to make sure you're not marking stuff incorrectly.

Anyway, good writing comes from lots of writing, lots of reading, and lots of proofreading. That's my take-home message.
Pages: 1