CASTLES MASTERPIECE SEQUEL

Pages: first prev 123 next last
author=Isrieri
author=Solitayre
You could build the game around the context of each level being part of one greater, overarching castle, and enforce this in people's submissions. The Mario's Mansion series did this to varying degrees of success. The original Castles game also had that as the general context, but the game didn't feel like it was all part of one castle.
Yeah, this is probably the best way of doing it.

Maze of Galious.
author=solitayre
Well, if it's going to be a game made up of castle levels, it should probably be a castle level.

You could build the game around the context of each level being part of one greater, overarching castle, and enforce this in people's submissions. The Mario's Mansion series did this to varying degrees of success. The original Castles game also had that as the general context, but the game didn't feel like it was all part of one castle.

I think the problem with the original was that the level and the hub didn't correspond, take Ratty's tree level (I'm not saying it was bad, I particularly liked that level) you've gone from a gothic castle like hub to happy tree level, while in Mario's Mansion II and III you (generally) went from a ghost house into a ghost house and the specific theming made it as such (Making the rooms for the mansion) you don't have to fully theme it but at least make it similar to the hub you enter from... Tell me if i'm talking crap would ya?
Seiromem
I would have more makerscore If I did things.
Well, I still would like my four areas idea, instead of everybody conforming to one castle "style".

So then, there'll just be four separate castles that correspond to the area they're in! In fact, if there were to be three judges, each judge could possibly be the "overlord" of one castle and I'll be an overlord of the other.
And by Overlord, I mean the one who makes the hub for that castle while everyone else expands upon it.

Which makes me wonder how we would do something similar to Mario's Mansion but with castles. I mean, in mansions there is plenty of variety, such as bathrooms, basements, attics, bedrooms, ballrooms, pantries, foyers, gardens etc.

What kind of differences do we have with castles?
Dungeon? Roof? Garden?
See the problem there?
Unless of course you mean just a bunch of castles with the same theme together, which I think defeats the purpose of my areas idea.
I wanted "Similar Variety" unless of course I'm over-thinking this and am making no sense.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
The four different castle ideas could work. I feel like you shouldn't focus too much on designing the castles before the levels are all submitted, though, because I think each castle needs to be designed to cater to the levels submitted for them, and going for a systematic design for every castle would make things look as repetitive and boring as the hub of SRB3.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Ratty524
going for a systematic design for every castle would make things look as repetitive and boring as the hub of SRB3.

ow my ego again This is completely understandable.

Castlevania is hardly an area of knowledge for me, but they seem to pull off giant castles with themed areas. You've got your dungeons, corridors, ballrooms, clock towers, libraries, sewers, courtyards...don't underestimate castles just because they aren't as obvious as mansions.
author=seiromem
Which makes me wonder how we would do something similar to Mario's Mansion but with castles. I mean, in mansions there is plenty of variety, such as bathrooms, basements, attics, bedrooms, ballrooms, pantries, foyers, gardens etc.

What kind of differences do we have with castles?
Dungeon? Roof? Garden?
See the problem there?

Someone's obviously never lived in a castle. Peasant.
This is starting to sound perty good...
Seiromem
Alright, so!
There's four areas with a different themes, each area having "One castle" made up of people's submissions. Instead of "Castle Overlords" it's just people making different parts of the same castle.

Rules are the same except:
No SMW Bowser Statues or Dry Bones (unless of course you fix the height issues)
NO secret stars, NO secret levels.
Levels MUST end in a SMB3 Star.

Should the entire castle get the same music theme, or just variations of castle music themes?
As for bosses, I say that would be where you need the stars to enter, and someone could either call it or the judges could make them or whatever.

I think there should be a "hub hub". Basically how you get to the castles in each area.
Unless of course you people want to have a more linear approach, for which I am against.

Also, what'll happen when you complete all four castles?
I say a "final level" should open up with a boss at the end and some kind of conclusion.

However, we could also do something similar to Yugioh Capsule Monster Colosseum (Wherein you complete all four areas, then a FIFTH area shows up)
and that fifth area is the finale castle that everyone can be apart of.

Now what would be the main antagonist for this? You're exploring the ruined castles for an archaeology toad. Would it be some ancient monster/construct you've awakened? Would it be the predictable bowser? or the predictable Dr Toadly?

More questions to answer!

EDIT: You people should volunteer yourselves for a judging position.
I want that list I mentioned earlier to be filled with more than just one name ;_;
author=seiromem
Should the entire castle get the same music theme, or just variations of castle music themes?

Just to clarify, are you referring to the hub levels? If so, I suggest a seperate track for each hub.

As for bosses, I say that would be where you need the stars to enter, and someone could either call it or the judges could make them or whatever.

I think there should be a "hub hub". Basically how you get to the castles in each area.
Unless of course you people want to have a more linear approach, for which I am against.

How about a small world map to connect each castle, which will lead to their respective hub areas? All the castles would remain available from the beginning, of course.

we could also do something similar to Yugioh Capsule Monster Colosseum (Wherein you complete all four areas, then a FIFTH area shows up)
and that fifth area is the finale castle that everyone can be apart of.

I'd recommend a full world for the finale just to discourage a colossal marathon level, which SMBX doesn't do well at all IMO.

I want that list I mentioned earlier to be filled with more than just one name ;_;

If you don't mind some zero-makerscore sap handling your levels, I'm available for that.
(Judges would still be allowed to submit levels though, right?)
Seiromem
author=AlexanderXCIII
Just to clarify, are you referring to the hub levels? If so, I suggest a seperate track for each hub.

No, I mean for all the levels entered for that castle.

author=AlexanderXCIII
How about a small world map to connect each castle, which will lead to their respective hub areas? All the castles would remain available from the beginning, of course.

Another good idea.

author=AlexanderXCIII
I'd recommend a full world for the finale just to discourage a colossal marathon level, which SMBX doesn't do well at all IMO.

That's what I meant, another castle.

author=AlexanderXCIII
If you don't mind some zero-makerscore sap handling your levels, I'm available for that.
(Judges would still be allowed to submit levels though, right?)

Yeah, judges can still submit levels.
author=seiromen

I'm not sure I follow. It sounds like you're suggesting that all levels (within a world, or whatever) have the same music, which is going to get tiresome eventually. Wouldn't it make more sense to let the level designers pick their own music, provided it fits the level and/or has a castle-ish feel?
Seiromem
author=AlexanderXCIII
author=seiromen
I'm not sure I follow. It sounds like you're suggesting that all levels (within a world, or whatever) have the same music, which is going to get tiresome eventually. Wouldn't it make more sense to let the level designers pick their own music, provided it fits the level and/or has a castle-ish feel?

That was my question!
So you feel multiple music tracks are a must, then okay!
Just to clarify, i'm interested in judging.
Ratty524
author=seiromem
Rules are the same except:
No SMW Bowser Statues or Dry Bones (unless of course you fix the height issues)
NO secret stars, NO secret levels.
Levels MUST end in a SMB3 Star.

For the most part I agree with this, but what about rules for consistency? Are we going to make Dragon Coins a thing, for instance? Having levels that include dragon coins and others that don't would be kind of bothersome for me.

author=seiromem

I like variety, so I say variations.

author=seiromem

Because the star count is global, and you really seem to want all castles available at the start, a potential issue I see happening is where the player will easily have access to a boss level outside of their castle world, so they wouldn't even fight the boss of that world and instead hop to another. I don't think this really supports a system like that, unless we either make the world-progression linear or we only have one, final boss for the whole game.

Another way around this could be to take an approach similar to Super RMN World, where instead of ending the each level with a star, each level takes you back to the main hub, giving you access to a "key" or something which will gradually unlock the door to the boss through use of events/layers. It's a little bit more complicated, but it would make your initial idea work.

author=seiromem

I like the worldmap idea that was proposed by Alexander, or just have it all be in one hub.

author=seiromem
I say a "final level" should open up with a boss at the end and some kind of conclusion.

Yes, just as long as it's reasonably difficult.

author=seiromem
Now what would be the main antagonist for this? You're exploring the ruined castles for an archaeology toad. Would it be some ancient monster/construct you've awakened? Would it be the predictable bowser? or the predictable Dr Toadly?

Sure you can use Toadly seiromem. :P

author=seiromem

I wouldn't mind judging this, since I'll probably be giving feedback to other people's levels anyway. I would like to know what type of work you'd put me through, though, since I have my own projects to worry about.
author=Ratty524
Because the star count is global, and you really seem to want all castles available at the start, a potential issue I see happening is where the player will easily have access to a boss level outside of their castle world, so they wouldn't even fight the boss of that world and instead hop to another. I don't think this really supports a system like that, unless we either make the world-progression linear or we only have one, final boss for the whole game.

Another way around this could be to take an approach similar to Super RMN World, where instead of ending the each level with a star, each level takes you back to the main hub, giving you access to a "key" or something which will gradually unlock the door to the boss through use of events/layers. It's a little bit more complicated, but it would make your initial idea work.

Would such a lock-and-key system work with the world map? If not, that should be the deciding factor between hub vs. world map.

And I'm in favor of a fifth "finale" castle after the initial four, to allow for a proper final boss while keeping the main game nonlinear. Not sure about the star count messing up level order, though...
If we go with the multiple area themes, could we have basic Temples, such as you would expect from Legend of Zelda(except this is for Mario)
I had an idea, just now, where I make Mario levels based off of the Gaia Temple puzzles in Sonic Unleashed for PS2.
Ratty524
author=AlexanderXCIII
Would such a lock-and-key system work with the world map? If not, that should be the deciding factor between hub vs. world map.

And I'm in favor of a fifth "finale" castle after the initial four, to allow for a proper final boss while keeping the main game nonlinear. Not sure about the star count messing up level order, though...

I'm thinking the lock-and-key system would be reserved only for the normal levels of each castle, used to gain access to the boss of that world. The actual boss levels would end with power stars, to which collecting all of them will unlock the final world.
Seiromem
author=Ratty524
For the most part I agree with this, but what about rules for consistency? Are we going to make Dragon Coins a thing, for instance? Having levels that include dragon coins and others that don't would be kind of bothersome for me.

I think we should have dragon coins. Maybe we can have RMN coins since this is an RMN game ;o

author=Ratty524
I like variety, so I say variations.

that's two for variation, and I'll make it three!

author=Ratty524
unless we either make the world-progression linear or we only have one, final boss for the whole game.

Yeah, I say we have one final boss for the whole game.

author=Ratty524
I like the worldmap idea that was proposed by Alexander, or just have it all be in one hub.

Alright, world map it is!

author=Ratty524
Yes, just as long as it's reasonably difficult.

Alright then, five areas but one has to be unlocked with stars!

author=Ratty524
Sure you can use Toadly seiromem. :P

Huzzah!

However, if that's the case I'd like the fifth unlocked area to be the industrial area(cuz it's toadly) and the fourth area to be... something else....
Magma valley! Or some kind of Fire stuff. Hot.

author=Ratty524
I wouldn't mind judging this, since I'll probably be giving feedback to other people's levels anyway. I would like to know what type of work you'd put me through, though, since I have my own projects to worry about.

Alright then!
The only thing you'd be working on is playing the submitted levels and maybe making one of your own if you wanted to.
----------------------
Summary:
Dragon Coins (maybe RMN? coins?)
Music variation
One final boss
World Map "Hub"
Your Eternal NightmareDr Toadly
How about the fourth area be a sort of space sky world, and lava world be lumped together with desert?

author=Ratty524
I'm thinking the lock-and-key system would be reserved only for the normal levels of each castle, used to gain access to the boss of that world. The actual boss levels would end with power stars, to which collecting all of them will unlock the final world.

That makes more sense.
once you guys are ready for an event, send me a PM with the event description and I can whip it up.
Pages: first prev 123 next last