CONCEPT: ADVANCED RPG MAKER - AN EZINE

Pages: first 1234 next last

What's this? What's this?

Advanced RPG Maker is an eZine. Forget what you know about eZines (because erm, it's probably not like any eZine you've read, as it's a silly contrived form of eZine only really for fun and looking-nice purposes).

In short, it's a faux magazine, hosted on the Internet, available in PNG and PDF formats. It is a sister project to the HBGames.org eZine, and uses the same format.

What's in it? What's in it?

News, reviews, tutorials, interviews and other articles about RPG Maker and the RPG Maker community.

Who's in it? Who's in it?

So far I have had a good response from the RPG Maker Web forums, and HBGames, with members from both saying they'll submit content for it or would love to read it.

When's it? When's it?

The first issue is due a month from now (the reasoning being that if it's to be monthly, which it will be, I need to know we can make this in a month).

The HBGames.org eZine currently runs monthly but has suffered in the past from lengthy haituses, mainly due to lack of submitted content. There have been four issues in the past four months though of reasonable length and quality.

Why's it here? Why's it here?

I want to know if you, RMN, are interested in being a part of it.

Far from being an advert for HBGames, I want this to be inclusive of the entire online RPG Maker community. We have the blessing of web for it to be promoted there, but I'd like this to highlight the good in all the online communities.

How long's it? How long's it?

That depends entirely on how many people submit content for it. I am aiming for 15 pages assuming nobody submits anything; if they do then it will be at least 20 pages. From there, I will decide what should be kept for issue 2 and what should go into issue 1, so it will probably stay at around 20 pages in length.

Where's it? Where's it?

It's not out yet. But have a mockup.

Full size image: http://i.imgur.com/H3LPOov.png

Thumbnail that will be used in the directory:

Please note this is NOT the cover that will be used, it is just an example issue.

So. So.

I want to know if you're interested in this idea! It'll go ahead anyway, but it'd be great to have a big name like RMN on board, even if it's just an "oh, yeah, I'd probably flick through it once while on the loo".

How's it? How's it?

Here's an example, the HBGames eZine:

PNG: http://afar.ws/ezines/New/ezineissue15.png
PDF: http://afar.ws/ezines/ezine15.pdf

Here's the discussion thread on 'web:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/24863-an-rpg-maker-ezine-advanced-rpg-maker/

Thanks for reading.
I'd read it. It would be a neat way to promote new games/promising games in development.
i'd feature it.

people here have been clamouring for more snews.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I remember e-zine's being continuously made back in the day, and I'd love to see someone try again at it!

I'd definitely read it.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I dunno about contributing to it, but I can certainly see myself reading it.
Guys have a sneak preview RMNET EXCLUSIVE BECAUSE I'M RATHER DRUNK RIGHT NOW of issue 1. It will be longer than 15 pages. Bare/bear in mind this is a day's work so.

YEAH!
I read the ezine15.pdf, I hope you don't mind feedback <:3c

Some of it doesn't look good, in terms of like content and writing. There were grammatical errors here and there, I hope that the latest one will have a proofreader. I might be an ESL person but I can sense if there's something wrong.

And some of the content is pointless. Why did you write this anyway? Sort of thing. The RPG Maker VXAce review one is okay, but the way it's just worded doesn't feel professional as opposed to something you've read in a magazine. There's traces of bias and "forum-esque"/sassing judging by the wording/tone/feel.

The RPG Maker 95 is like, we have something for you, actually nope and I felt like I wasted time reading the ramblings of someone who just happened to hear rm95, checked it out but ...didn't really went to detail what was special or what was the point of checking it out. It didn't cover why it wasn't as successful as Rm2000 and some such. Which is a shame since it could've been a nice article to explain RM's roots.

This will be a bit personal but, that jab against RMVX...was super unnecessary, lol. It's actually the engine that made me not quit RM. Starting from Rm2k/3 to XP made me almost quit the franchise and VX is the only reason I'm still around.

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Archeia_Nessiah
This will be a bit personal but, that jab against RMVX...was super unnecessary, lol. It's actually the engine that made me not quit RM. Starting from Rm2k/3 to XP made me almost quit the franchise and VX is the only reason I'm still around.
RMVX had redeeming qualities? That's news to me.

Anyway, I actually kind of agree with Nessy here. I don't even know why you bothered with the RM95 review page, because it gave absolutely no insight onto the program itself, and the whole "review" reeked of total suckage. I'd definitely choose more of a professional tone with this new e-zine. Granted, having a humorous tone isn't inherently bad, but overdoing it the way that issue did just made the whole magazine seem very unprofessional.
Hey, no, sit your ass down, Mister Clown.
Firstly, fuck that noise about 95. 95 was a decent engine. It had a lot of great pieces that keep coming back each time and some that could stand to come back into even today's engines. Pop-out, movable, re-sizable mapping window? Fuck yes! Easy to change stat curves (just plonk a point and drag. Insta-curves with more than just one point of change). Did it have problems? Yes, it did. Did that make it bad? No, it did not. Your lazy-ass writer needs to do their research, homie.
- You could right-mouse click a tile and choose what terrain it was set to.
- You could give starting items to each character. Not armour, items. You could have someone bring 20 potions to your team when they joined, automatically set up on their creation.
- You could change walk speed without scripts.
- You could set window to transparent.
- You could change the Max amount of items up to 2,000,000 if you wanted. Again, no scripts. Just a default part of the engine.
- You could create an automatic opening event without assigning it to a map.
- You could create a game-wide custom death event, too, as part of default game. No common events necessary.
- You could adjust Chip/chara/monster palette in-game. Not just a recolour, but actually import pictures above the 256 colours and adjust their palette to the restrictions, and even have them merged with the palette of another picture.
- IN-BUILT MOUSE SUPPORT
Yeah...

And I know you did not just diss the 2K/3 RTP. I know you didn't. Because that shit is tight. It is tighter than XP and Ace RTP. I love Ace RTP, but 2k/3 RTP is the tightest of shit. It uses squares. It breaks the squares. It doesn't look like a rainy, dreary day. It's fucking top notch stuff.

No, the RTP is great. It's puerile mappers that make it look shit, just like they make Mack look shit. Just like they make Ace look shit. Sit your asses down and do some proper writing if you're gonna go all diss up in this place.

Yeah, you got a woody for Ace and XP, we get that, but don't be dissing the older/other makers just because you like scripting shit and non-pixel graphics. That shit is wrong.

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Welp, did someone seriously diss the 2k3 RTP? 2k I can almost kind of understand, but 2k3 honed everything and was just so sleek, easy to use, and elegant.

Edit: oh, never mind, you were just talking about RM95 looking prettier. To each their own :)

In other news, this eZine idea definitely has potential! I think you'll need to go with a more professional and neutral point of view like Nessiah mentioned, though. A peer review would also be good. You can still add some humor and boldness but it should be a little bit more reserved. As it stands, this reads more like a personal blog with a rather transparent bias. If that's your intent, then I think you may want to reconsider the spirit and tone of the work. If it's not your intent, then I think a second opinion can help iron those out.

Still, it's nice to see something like this in the works :) It would be nice to have a consistent user-generated RM publication.
If you're adding humour and boldness, don't do it during articles that are supposed to inform. If something doesn't work for you, do some homework and checking with others who it did work for instead of just writing it off as 'oh, it doesn't work lol'. It's childish and comes across as just dissing whatever it is you're 'reporting' on.

You also need to work a bit on grammar and the way you word things.

Also? Those pretty screenshots for the 95 page? Not 95 RTP.
author=Ratty524
author=Archeia_Nessiah
RMVX had redeeming qualities? That's news to me.

It did lay down the foundation for VXAce, had the RM2k/3 feel more than RMXP, etc.
Also it had Ralph.
From what I read it seems like it could work, but it needs more stuff behind it first. You could do what Game Informer does and have a review staff create a compendium of review scores for popular games.

As it stands now, there's about 4 pages of announcements across 20 pages. I think it would be better to put that stuff at the beginning and comprise the rest of it with just straight information.
I should probably point out that the HB ezine only really serves a good example of the layout and format, ARPGM would certainly be far more professional and formal. None of the in-jokes, attempts at humour, etc. The HB zine serves mostly as a replacement for This Week on .ORG if you ever saw it - just a roundup of things that have been going on and personal, first-person, friendly and assuming it's audience is members of .org.

ARPGM would be a lot more serious production, which is mainly why I want as many people as possible involved.
This deserves a poll, but yes, I'd definitely dl something like this. Not sure if people are thinking of what to add for each issue, but I like the tutorial thing.

If they are looking for suggestions, I'd encourage more event-related (non script) tutorials to show that you don't always need fancy scripts to make great game mechanics.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=Amy
I should probably point out that the HB ezine only really serves a good example of the layout and format, ARPGM would certainly be far more professional and formal. None of the in-jokes, attempts at humour, etc. The HB zine serves mostly as a replacement for This Week on .ORG if you ever saw it - just a roundup of things that have been going on and personal, first-person, friendly and assuming it's audience is members of .org.

ARPGM would be a lot more serious production, which is mainly why I want as many people as possible involved.

Thanks for the clarification! If ARPGM is created, I would like to be on board as an editor if possible. :)
I read through the article and really didn't see anything too negative. Maybe people are a bit more sensitive with all things RM?

I mean, I understood the author's complaint about RM95, because they couldn't get it to work. Naturally, they incorrectly assumed this was completely dead and didn't do all the research it warranted, but it was based on an assumption it doesn't work for newere computers rather than an attempt to bash the product. It does emphasize the need for getting opinions from multiple people over multiple communities, of course, and any of them could have tried to help with getting 95 to work, but I don't believe it was a biased attempt to criticize the product.

While VX is severely limited, it could have left without the comment that nobody uses it. Like Archeia, I got my start with VX. I can pretty much use any maker I want to now, but it was thanks to the simplicity of VX that got me going and helped me to understand the core mechanics, not to mention the Benko/Kelsper guide. Once I learned VX, I could apply that knowledge everywhere.

However, there have been really good games that came out of VX, and I find I enjoy more games from VX than I do XP. Not because VX is more powerful. It may be, but it's limitations cripple the program. It really boils down to the fact that these programs cater to two different types of users and gamers: VX caters more to an old school 2D look, whereas XP caters more to a newer gen 2D look. Both programs have their uses, and must be used correctly. The problem, however, is that prior to Ace you got a lot of newer people who would pick up XP without learning how to properly map and use the layers, creating very bland games that somehow look uglier than some of the amateur games I've seen in VX.

Still, I don't think I've seen very many RM games that could hold a candle to the classic RM2K and 2K3 games. It really goes to show what can be accomplished when limits are set (no scripting, for example).
The presentation/grammar could maybe use a bit of work, and I don't necessarily agree with the jabs at RM2K and whatnot; each edition of RPG Maker has both its flaws and weaknesses, and everyone has different preferences.

Otherwise, I'd download this without a doubt.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I remember someone doing this during GWs heyday . It was a Spanish rm2k site. Back when jkb and that were still around producing crazy things. It's an awesome idea if done correctly.
I wasn't aware of jabs at 2k. I still even use the program.
Pages: first 1234 next last