CONCEPT: ADVANCED RPG MAKER - AN EZINE

I was blabbing about doing/there being something like this every month for RMN a while ago (something like how SNEWS was, but much bulkier) so I am pretty into the idea.
Hi guys, issue 1 is out now. I excitedly anticipate your hate mail / frownfaces.

Comments so far range from "wow this is super useful great tutorials A++++" to "I don't get this".

Issue 1 - April 2014

Tau
RMN sex symbol
Wow this is so great... I don't get this :D

Looks pretty fantastic so far. Though I was expecting more on RMXP anniversary given it's the kinda main feature for this issue, or so it seemed.

But yeah, keep it up, I hope to be featured in this sometime, would make my day.
First off - This is a cool thing/idea.

Second off - I know it's early days but something that bothers me after going through the zine is the brevity of each section. Not that brevity can't be a good thing when a topic isn't beefy enough to warrant it - it's just that in the current format I can't imagine any super-in-depth segments happening with such brief and cursory summaries. I get that it's just you, Amy, basically doing everything right now though so I get there's some limits on what can be reasonably done atm and given a small-magazine format it's actually pretty tightly packed, if not in-depth.

Anyway I spotted this:

and wondered - weird coincidence or error?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
That's, like, the complete opposite of chaotic D:

I read through the whole thing and really enjoyed it! For a guy perennially on the sidelines such as myself, this is a nice and easy way goings-on in the RM community. Much appreciated!

With regards to possible topics for the next e-zine: I'm guessing fdalepena & co of EasyRPG, the cross-platform RM-inspired engine, would appreciate a bit of press. <3
Ouch, error, given they only have 725!

Thanks for the comments guys. And yeah, sorry for how short the articles are, I've had that comment a lot and think I will go for less articles, but more in-depth, in future.
I dunno, I kind of liked that it had more things, rather than long winded articles of just a couple things. I would suggest that if you do decide to go more indepth on some things, add more pages rather than cutting out the short articles. I would probably lose interest because honestly most things about RPGMaker aren't interesting to me. The more things you have the more interests you will hit with more readers. If you add links the reader can go to the source for more information if they are really interested in learning more, unless you intend for this emag to be a main source of full info.

Like, I only need to read so much about a game or that FF6 SDK. If I like it I'm going to search for it, if not I'm just going to skip to the next article. Assuming you are just putting a spotlight on it, rather than a review. If it's a serious review, indepth can be interesting.

Things like editorials and dev spotlights, where the focus is on people and the community would be suited for indepth. Trends and social aspects too. Not saying other things shouldn't be indepth.

I like the tips and tricks section. Easter eggs and funny bugs/errors in popular games could be fun(but probably not much to draw from). Some kind of lists, like best games, best art, new games. Where you just show maybe a screenshot of lots of games(you do have something like this). Kind of like the frontpage of RMN with new and notable and highly rated. More coverage of events from each community, with spotlights on the winners later on.

Also, I'm not likely to remember to look for new issues. If you had an emailing list I'd join and get it in my inbox and actually read it.
author=Link_2112
I like the tips and tricks section. Easter eggs and funny bugs/errors in popular games could be fun(but probably not much to draw from). Some kind of lists, like best games, best art, new games. Where you just show maybe a screenshot of lots of games(you do have something like this). Kind of like the frontpage of RMN with new and notable and highly rated. More coverage of events from each community, with spotlights on the winners later on.

Reminds me of old school magazines where they used to post game cheats. Good times.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
This is very nice! Although it may be nice to find a ranking of "active" members in your ranking list. I'm pretty sure that even though RRR has had 106k members in the past, now it's not as active. At least it was like that the last time that I been there. Dramas happened, people left, etc.

Speaking of that, feel free to feature any of my reviews in this magazine. One gem that I discovered recently was SnowOwl's Reap and Sow. It is currently in development and kind of goes under the radar. Here's my review.
Okay, I know I was super antagonistic when you revealed the initial version but I rather enjoyed this. Granted, I didn't read much but what I did read seemed pretty neat (I'm not really much for reading magazines of most types front-to-back). So, good job. And I'm glad to see that you added some edited info about 95, too.

I too enjoyed the tips and tricks section - I think smaller bits like that can be popular (the idea of pointing out errors/bugs or anecdotes is nice). How about character spotlights? Just small bits to fill in parts. And also, once you get more people into reading, how about a 'puzzle' or challenge thing? Encourage a bit of interaction. Set a small challenge like 'make a map of x', 'code a thing' or something and then pick a winner to show a few weeks later. Just an idea.

But yeah, this is okay. Nice job especially since you're doing it by your lonesome so far.
^w^ This is a pretty good idea, but...
...it needs a serious makeover, i.e, better page design.

What do I mean with this? Better layout, creative fonts (Berlin Sans FB is my favourite font, but it just DOESN'T fit there) and better image positioning. If you notice, magazines make all the pages look vivid and cool, and they're still readable. But those pages use bad background colours and are pretty dull.

'Cmon! It can be done better! :)

PS: I can help *wink wink*
If i were to refine my earlier point actually - I'd say that to my memory all the best magazines I ever read, esepcially in the gaming sphere, were pretty heavily opinionated things. Not that they took a vitriolic stance (not often anyway) - just that by simply reading the thing you'd be totally aware of a sense of the culture of the place the magazine was made and the opinions of the people who made it. Simply reporting the objective facts without anything added in terms of tone will make for a pretty milquetoast magazine in the long run.

(I know the HBgames zine was criticized earlier for having in-jokes and jabs but honestly I have no problem with in-jokes so long as they're easy enough to get in on, and not tied to a particular forum or whatever)
CashmereCat
Speaking of that, feel free to feature any of my reviews in this magazine. One gem that I discovered recently was SnowOwl's Reap and Sow. It is currently in development and kind of goes under the radar. Here's my review.
Thank you so much for that - it'll really help.

This is very nice! Although it may be nice to find a ranking of "active" members in your ranking list. I'm pretty sure that even though RRR has had 106k members in the past, now it's not as active. At least it was like that the last time that I been there. Dramas happened, people left, etc.
Unfortunately nowhere really publishes that kind of figure well, except maybe RMNet.

Liberty
I too enjoyed the tips and tricks section - I think smaller bits like that can be popular (the idea of pointing out errors/bugs or anecdotes is nice). How about character spotlights? Just small bits to fill in parts. And also, once you get more people into reading, how about a 'puzzle' or challenge thing? Encourage a bit of interaction. Set a small challenge like 'make a map of x', 'code a thing' or something and then pick a winner to show a few weeks later. Just an idea.
That sounds a neat idea. I worry about what to do if there are no submissions, but I guess that's just me being negative. I'll work something like that in.

Chivi-chivik
...it needs a serious makeover, i.e, better page design.
Probably. I'm not a brilliant graphics wizard. I like to think I'm improving from the first issue of HBG but I know it's not quite there yet.

NewBlack
(I know the HBgames zine was criticized earlier for having in-jokes and jabs but honestly I have no problem with in-jokes so long as they're easy enough to get in on, and not tied to a particular forum or whatever)
I think once it's established and there's a good following, in-jokes and such will sort of flow naturally, especially if more regular writers get on board. I'm happy with it being a bit casual so long as it's not too much either way.
This is great. I love the idea of an RM ezine; the editorials are nice, and the game features seem like a good choice. Awesome job!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
If I may suggest, this seems like a great way to let people know what events are happening (or will happen) and where. You already have a "Contest winners" section, so maybe...
That's the idea, but I'm having trouble finding any that are about to start; I'm kinda relying on people to let me know they're starting them.
I use the frontpage of RMN to let people know what events are happening and where (on RMN). I also use it to let people know about other neat things, like a new RPG Maker eZine.

Basically, I used to write a triweekly news article, but now instead incorporated the ideas from it into RMN's site design. I am not yet satisfied, and there are things in my SNEWS articles that aren't in the site yet. Like editorials. maybe I could write a regular editorial for this ezine...
Editorials are the most entertaining part of anything like this imo. that'd be a cool thang kenton.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I'm keen to write some stuff as well. What is the generalized length in words for an article? And do we have to provide our own images/format? I mean, I think it'd be excellent if you could specify these kinds of things to make it easier for people to post articles. Because right now I'm kind of like, "OK where do I start?"

Edit: For example, specify a short article of, say, 50-150words, and something like medium 150-300w, long 300w-600w or something. So people can have the absolute pleasure of like, an upper/lower limit. Idk, it's just that otherwise I might on the off-chance have a hard time knowing where to start or finish if I don't have the privilege of having a word count to write to/around.

Thanks! :)