BEST RM GAMES WITH ONLY DEFAULT RESOURCES?

Pages: 1
unity
You're magical to me.
So I caught myself being slightly snobby in another thread and complaining about too many people using the same default RTP windowskin in VX Ace. That got me thinking: perhaps what I'm tired of isn't the RTP resources so much as the RTP resources being used poorly.

So I was curious: What are the best RPG Maker games (for any version) that use little to no custom resources (almost all RTP)? Can anyone give recommendations on games like that? And has there ever been a contest where everyone was forced to use purely RTP?
In my opinion Crossbone (rm2k(3)) used the RTP very well =).

http://gaminggroundzero.com/?page_id=84
It's fine for generic RPGs, but anything except that and it falls short. Not surprising since that's what it's made for. If you want it to be used good, you'll need games that only use it as a base and adds their own resources on top. And then it wouldn't strictly be RTP anymore.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Trujin
In my opinion Crossbone (rm2k(3)) used the RTP very well =).

http://gaminggroundzero.com/?page_id=84

Interesting! I'll have to try it out.

author=SnowOwl
It's fine for generic RPGs, but anything except that and it falls short. Not surprising since that's what it's made for. If you want it to be used good, you'll need games that only use it as a base and adds their own resources on top. And then it wouldn't strictly be RTP anymore.

Good point. Using just RTP excludes anything that doesn't fit in that fantasy-like setting, and then you can't do anything modern or sci-fi, and the flavor of the game is locked into the set style. And there are plenty of RPG Maker games I love that just could never have been made with just the RTP.
Perhaps a better idea is to look at games that are RTP-heavy instead of straight-out RTP. That opens the doors a little more since a lot of games that use the RTP (or the better games, at least) also use edits and the like.

Hero's Realm is a great example of this.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Liberty
Perhaps a better idea is to look at games that are RTP-heavy instead of straight-out RTP. That opens the doors a little more since a lot of games that use the RTP (or the better games, at least) also use edits and the like.

Hero's Realm is a great example of this.

Good point. Otherwise it becomes a little too restrictive, I guess.

I've been playing Hero's Realm and it's a lot of fun! I haven't finished it yet, though ^_^
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
I don't get issue presented in first post (people being tired of default Ace windowskin). While I usually grown tired of RTP used in previous makers, I have yet to get tired of Ace's RTP even though I am working on Ace RTP game (with some flavour like Celianna's and Ayene's tiles, though). It's just that good (I have slight problem with chibi chars and resolution, but chars can be replaced and resolution can be changed to much saner 640x480).

Back to the topic, I could mention few RPGs that run almost on default resources (usually only difference being few different characters, but in line with RTP style), but all those are Polish games for which I don't think there's translation available so it's probably not relevant.

Anyway, here you go:
- Czasoprzestrzeń (it's a trilogy, done in rm2k with rtp)
- Opowieści z Asgun (VX)
- Kruk (VX)

Last two uses some non-rtp resources, but it's mostly just music.
I've actually been trying this myself - I've got a loose project called 40 Days I've been working on exclusively in Ace's RTP, and there's so many corners that have to be cut if you're using just the RTP (there's a scene where I'm trying to make it scroll over open sky and show you're on a floating island that just looks horrid using the RTP). And I think that's part of the problem with RTP only games - they're limited to what's in the tilesets and the files, which really isn't a whole lot.

I don't know, I think I just find the Ace RTP lacking compared to XP's and older when it comes to graphics, but maybe that's just my memory playing tricks on me.
I am not completely certain that these are all 100% RTP, but here are some notable games that I believe to be RTP-only:

Don't want to big note myself, but Seer Dell: Dragon and The Realms Shattered are both RTP intensive. RealmS isn't complete but there is a demo but Dell is. Also Incarnation and To Save a Land.

What can I say? I like RTP.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Seer Deel - Dragon is pretty neat though. I'd put up Czarina Must Die too. It fairly recently won a contest because the judging panel was slow and bad.

*Edit: Do I dare put up my own Matsumori Days and/or Arbiters From Another World? I, uh, guess I just did.
unity
You're magical to me.
Thanks for all the suggestions! I've played several of these but I'll give the rest a try! It's good to have a lot of great games to look forward to! ^_^

author=Travio
I've actually been trying this myself - I've got a loose project called 40 Days I've been working on exclusively in Ace's RTP, and there's so many corners that have to be cut if you're using just the RTP (there's a scene where I'm trying to make it scroll over open sky and show you're on a floating island that just looks horrid using the RTP). And I think that's part of the problem with RTP only games - they're limited to what's in the tilesets and the files, which really isn't a whole lot.

That's an interesting idea! I can see what you mean; you have to either restrict your imagination or just hope that the RTP can somewhat suggest what you want for stuff that's not covered by the tilesets.

author=Rave
I don't get issue presented in first post (people being tired of default Ace windowskin). While I usually grown tired of RTP used in previous makers, I have yet to get tired of Ace's RTP even though I am working on Ace RTP game (with some flavour like Celianna's and Ayene's tiles, though). It's just that good (I have slight problem with chibi chars and resolution, but chars can be replaced and resolution can be changed to much saner 640x480).

It's just my personal preference, nothing more. There's a lot of bias against RTP and default resources, and I fall prey to that myself. I used to think that custom resources were always better than RTP, but that's really not true, as you have to know how to use the resources or they can actually detract from the experience (Liberty made a great point on another thread about poorly chosen fonts and windowskins being more troublesome than beneficial).

It basically comes down to: You can make a fantastic game with just the RTP, but you're limited to how you tell your story and what sort of settings you can use. But if you have the means to make custom stuff and know how to use it well, you can really make your game stand out.
It's not that RTP games are automatically bad, it's just that they tend to be really boring since you can't do alot of exciting stuff with it (as has been said), which is why I never play those games. Personally I think the Ace and VX style is ugly, too. Somehow it reminds me of My Little Pony-land with bigheaded dwarfs.
unity
You're magical to me.
Yeah, my least favorite part about VX/Ace graphics are the "chibi-style" character sets, which can work for some games but just seem out of place in most games to me.
Pages: 1