ART AND YOU

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=LockeZ
The anger is due to the phrasing of the OP. Your demand wasn't that we need to credit artists for our games to be accepted. Which would annoy me a bit, and I'd make sure you knew I thought credit sequences were boring and break the suspension of disbelief in games, but it wouldn't anger me like this.

But you said we need to credit artists or we could be banned. I don't find that acceptable. Once someone is banned they can't fix the problem, or post any more games in the future. You've destroyed a game, possibly multiple games, which likely would have provided hundreds of thousands of hours of collective entertainment for all the players. For the sake of what, one artist?

Placing requirements on games is something I can live with, but destroying them is something I can't.

Well here's an interesting situation. I partially agree with you that banning is extreme and people should be given the chance to fix the issue.

That one artist may have been instrumental to the game's success. They have every right to have a say in the game's fate. And if it's a minor gripe? Well then it'll be a minor fix and everyone will be happy.

You just lack perspective, LockeZ, because you're not an artist. I'm not an artist myself, but I have friends who are and I understand both sides of the fence here.
Don't tell me to learn anything. You learn some fucking respect before you try and take the high ground.

Games are everything to me, I pour my soul into the work that I create. I work away from my friends and family just to see them become real one day. Do you realize how twisted it is for someone to take the sentiment that you're providing and use it as an excuse to steal from another person?

If somebody wants to provide free resources they created, that's beautiful. When two people work together to create art, that's beautiful. When someone steal's what I poured my life into without even so much as acknowledging me? That's ghoulish. That's inhumane.
janussenpre
愛・おぼえていますか
I'm an artist and I fully support this new rule.

As Deckiller stated, the life of an artist is not easy. I'm slightly appalled by some of the things being said in this topic. Creating art is often a very fun and rewarding process, but it is also time consuming and arduous work. Seriously, (excuse my language) the least a person can do if they make use of any of my work (with my permission of course) is to post my fucking name under it.

Yes. We're here contributing to the development of games... but we're also simultaneously accruing experience, spreading our name and building our portfolios for the future. Its not just about an artist's ego, its about our own self sufficiency.

When did game making turn into the fucking Human Instrumentality Project?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Pizza
When someone steal's what I poured my life into without even so much as acknowledging me? That's ghoulish. That's inhumane.
It's really really bad. But you know what's even worse? The game not existing.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=Pizza
Don't tell me to learn anything. You learn some fucking respect before you try and take the high ground.

Games are everything to me, I pour my soul into the work that I create. I work away from my friends and family just to see them become real one day. Do you realize how twisted it is for someone to take the sentiment that you're providing and use it as an excuse to steal from another person?

If somebody wants to provide free resources they created, that's beautiful. When two people work together to create art, that's beautiful. When someone steal's what I poured my life into without even so much as acknowledging me? That's ghoulish. That's inhumane.

Exactly. Imagine if you busted your ass for years in a career, and went to get a better position in the field. But you have no record of your work, no resume, or someone else claims to have the same exact resume, citing many failed projects on their end.

All those years of hard work to move up in your career have been for nothing.
author=LockeZ
The anger is due to the phrasing of the OP. Your demand wasn't that we need to credit artists for our games to be accepted. Which would annoy me a bit, and I'd make sure you knew I thought credit sequences were boring and break the suspension of disbelief in games, but it wouldn't anger me like this.

But you said we need to credit artists or we could be banned. I don't find that acceptable. Once someone is banned they can't fix the problem, or post any more games in the future. You've destroyed a game, possibly multiple games, which likely would have provided hundreds of thousands of hours of collective entertainment for all the players. For the sake of what, one artist?

Placing requirements on games is something I can live with, but destroying them is something I can't.

I do find it acceptable because what I actually said was *ahem* "Taking art without giving credit is not on and if you are found guilty of this you will be either warned or banned depending on the circumstances. "

Banning won't happen straight out unless you don't add the credits after being told/warned. Most of the time it'll be a simple case of dropping a "Please add credits for this" in the comment of the picture and done. If it doesn't change after a few days, then comes the warning. If there's resistance, then banning. We'll talk first, ban only if the creators act like you have in this thread.

However, if there's a case of claiming art as your own when it's been proven otherwise, you'll be lucky to avoid a ban - and you will have to talk fast, believe me.

We've seen people claiming art as theirs after running it through PSP filters. We've seen people put up art with no credits, even after being asked to credit and we've seen people claim that 'x' person did the art for them when it's been proven otherwise. We've even seen people put up credits after being told to, then later taking them down.

That is what we're cracking down on. The thinking that says "I have a right to this because I found it and it fits what I want it to fit." No, they don't have a right to pick up anything and slot it in as though it were made for them, especially when it was made for something else entirely - whether that be for the artist's own pleasure, commissioned by someone else or just created for the hell of it.

Edit: I mean, for fuck's sake, when have we EVER banned someone without talking to them about it first (bots don't count)?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
How is the game not existing worse than people being short-handed?

Peoples' lives and livelihood are FAR more important then materialistic things like entertainment.
the robots in 'the matrix' rebelled against humanity because a hacker uploaded a virus to the central robot mainframe that made every human they scanned with their biosensors appear to look like lockez
if lockez existed in the redwall universe, he would not be a kindhearted, noble mouse, nor a wise and powerful badger, but a crude and conniving rat.
if lockez joined foxhound he would be given the codename "Fail Worm"
lockez sucks os bad he wasn't evgen invited to his own birthday party!!!! gyahahhaha XD
User was warned for this post
author=LockeZ

not if its creator is some pissant sophist who thinks respecting an artist's wishes is an unreasonable demand. we've got plenty of awful games here, and threatening that this rule might mean that fewer awful games will get made seems a little self-defeating to me.

lionizing your position as an idea guy (because what else could you be, if this seems reasonable to you) at the expense of the people whose work made yours possible is pretty much solipsistic.
Jericho, stop. :/
You know better than to crap up a serious thread. This isn't the Welp forum.
author=LockeZ
author=Pizza
When someone steal's what I poured my life into without even so much as acknowledging me? That's ghoulish. That's inhumane.

Fuck off.
me, upon learning that in the year 2014 lockez still existed and was crafting flagrant webs of stupidity at rmn:
jericho you're severely unfunny and your gimmick is outdated by six plus years
Sacrifice everything you are for the sake of... the game. The game is everything. The game is almighty. Cast yourself into the furnace so that your body can feed the game.

Aremen.

(Thanks Liberty for expanding on Roco, I had forgotten that Roco did the fuller bust shots and they were for M&B)
Guys, settle please. Real discussion only from now onwards, if you don't mind. This isn't Welp.

@GRS: It's sad how easily she was forgotten, though, since she was never credited. Just thinking of how she might have tackled some of the later engines and their graphics... it just makes me sad, thinking that we lost such an awesome artist to something as shitty as people not putting her name in their credits.
when lockez sits around the house...h.e really sits....around the house....
User was warned for this post