[DISCUSSION] MAKING MY OWN RPG MAKER LIKE EDITOR

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Adding higher resolutions is not difficult by any means, I'll give free choice on resolution, wheter you chose more than 640x480 is up to you, and you can have graphics that make higher resolutions work
Yeah, but then there's slowdown and high resolutions just look weird for old school RPGs.
To be honest I was expecting a few more suggestions on what features to add.

Anyway : I'm going to change the layer system of the RPG Maker, instead of having a floor and a common layer for decoration, collision heroes etc
there will be a global height system and a map can have any number of layers with defined heights :

So a map can have layer with height 0 (floor)
layer with height 1 under hero
layer with height 2 hero height
layer with height 3 above hero
layer with height 10 clouds

when you display a picture or a battle effect you can also chose a height, so you can have pictures under trees but above grass etc
The collision will be handled with events that are on the same height.
if you mark layer with height 3 as default layer, the hero will be on that height when he enters the map. The teleport script will allow to set a target height for the hero on the map or use the default height.
If an event like a bird has a different height than you it will be over you but no collision, if an event has the same height you would collide.
Pictures and battle effects on the same height would use their IDs like in RPG Maker for pictures before to resolve what picture or effect would be on top of another.

What this basicly means :
- Tilesets no longer need layer or collision information
- You can have anything above or below any other thing, solving the problem of having combat systems that require one effect to be on top of the other but isn't
- You'll be able to define a collision box for heros and events that covers multiple layers or height and or multiple tiles in X and Y coordinates (basically a 3D collision box) if you don't define a collision box it'll use the default that you setup in the database (which is initially 28x28x1)
- There will be an event command to change the heroes current height allowing going above and under the same bridge without hassle

This may sound like a tedious thing to do but remember that you can keep it consistent like in RPG Maker and not have to bother with height shifting and always use the default collision box

This is an important feature that when used right will save time over the RPG maker's workarounds for height issues when dealing with multiple planes in an RPG

Collision of event to event will be trackable too and using the collision box feature that will make games such as shooters and space shooters a lot more convenient to code too
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=Link_2112
There's this:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2664/

I thought it was dead... o.O
Don't have sticky layers, have unlimited layers. Let the game maker do what they want. Like layers 1 and 4 are under the hero. Have a drop down menu for each layer to determine if it should be over, under or the same layer. So the player can get really detailed with unlimited layers instead of having to make custom things in photoshop.

Not just that, but why use a grid system? Have a free placement system like an imaging program would have.

Without better features.... you're just remaking RPG Maker.

As for search filters. I mean with the databases. Sure you can do it for events and dialog, but it is really important with the database instead of having to remember the number and location. What happens if I want a healing spell? Why not have a filter for healing spells or items that cost more than 500?

Think better. RPG Maker has been the same since 1999 with no radically new ideas that every other game editor has.
There's a very valid reason for the grid system, it's a lot easier to work with tile sets and grids than having freedom, if you have as much freedom as in photoshop it'll end up only appealing to the pros. But moving the hero outside the grid or having a smaller grid like 8x8 will be an option in the tool.

Adding search and filters to the database is a good idea. I'll be sure to add it

As for the layers I just wrote 2 posts ago that you will be able to create any number of layers in the maps
My suggestion would be to finish a simple version with only the basic functions. Then use that to create a game to show the potential of your maker. Once that is done then start adding new features.

Anyway, some things that could be interesting to have supported by default:

- 8 direction movement.
- Enemies visible on the map instead of only random encounters.
Enemies visible on the map are very easy to implement using events, I don't think that's really required to be an in house feature, however I will add functions that will assist in making such a system easily, like the ability to clone events and to delete them permanently without using switches

8 directional movement will be optional, you'll be able to chose that in the database.

In programing it's not always easy to just make the basics and add stuff later as you may end up redoing everything just so the framework can run those features. On some features that works well, like adding new event commands post release but adding totally new systems like let's say a new layer system could require to recode half the map engine.

I am going to make a weekly blog where I post the latest progress of the project once development starts.
I think you're overestimating people's interest in this. Like it was mentioned, many people have come around saying they are making a new engine to "replace" RPG Maker and yet everyone is still using it.

It might sound like I'm being negative but I'm just being realistic. You're free to spend your time doing this, of course, but you should adjust your expectations. This is unlikely to catch on even if it's superior to RPG Maker in every way. People are funny like that. But you never know, you might get lucky and be the one that does catch on.

author=Rave
author=Link_2112
There's this:

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2664/
I thought it was dead... o.O

What he was doing before is dead. He's doing something new that uses the same name and game page.
author=ChuJooRi
My suggestion would be to finish a simple version with only the basic functions. Then use that to create a game to show the potential of your maker. Once that is done then start adding new features.

Anyway, some things that could be interesting to have supported by default:

- 8 direction movement.
- Enemies visible on the map instead of only random encounters.

Sadly both can be done with RPG maker and or scripts.
author=ShortStar

Just about anything can be done with RPG Maker and scripts, but eventually there comes a point where your project is so complex that you're better off using a custom engine/Game Maker/whatever. RM is great for Dragon Quest clones and pretty good for most "traditional" RPGs, but not that good for anything else.

What I'd like to see is a program somewhere between RPG Maker and Game Maker: largely focused on RPG elements but versatile enough for whatever the user might want to create.

To the original question, I'd like to see:
- Pixel movement, or at least the ability to choose between pixel, full tile, or even half tile movement.
- Enough control over the battle system and/or character stats to easily build a custom system, namely on-map battles a la Chrono Trigger or an action RPG combat system.
- Most of all, full control over character stats and battle formulas. VX Ace lets you define formulas for dealing damage, but you need scripting for anything beyond that (critical hit rate, for example), and damage is limited to the default parameters. I'd like the option to, for example, replace the VX Ace ATK/DEF/MAT/MDF/AGI/LUK with the RMXP character STR/DEX/AGI/INT and equipment ATK/PDEF/MDEF if I so choose.
I'd say Final Fantasy clones more than Dragon Quest.
I would instantly use it if it was reasonably easy to use with unlimited layers, a good eventing system, lots of weather and lightning options, options for pixel movement with good collision detection and some good window options.
I simply request the ability to have the map not be so square without jumping through hoops.
author=Alichains
I simply request the ability to have the map not be so square without jumping through hoops.

I don't quite understand, even in the RPG maker maps can take any shape by just not filling everything with floor, whatever shouldn't be part of the map can be filled with black or void
author=AlexanderXCIII
author=ShortStar
Just about anything can be done with RPG Maker and scripts, but eventually there comes a point where your project is so complex that you're better off using a custom engine/Game Maker/whatever. RM is great for Dragon Quest clones and pretty good for most "traditional" RPGs, but not that good for anything else.

What I'd like to see is a program somewhere between RPG Maker and Game Maker: largely focused on RPG elements but versatile enough for whatever the user might want to create.

To the original question, I'd like to see:
- Pixel movement, or at least the ability to choose between pixel, full tile, or even half tile movement.
- Enough control over the battle system and/or character stats to easily build a custom system, namely on-map battles a la Chrono Trigger or an action RPG combat system.
- Most of all, full control over character stats and battle formulas. VX Ace lets you define formulas for dealing damage, but you need scripting for anything beyond that (critical hit rate, for example), and damage is limited to the default parameters. I'd like the option to, for example, replace the VX Ace ATK/DEF/MAT/MDF/AGI/LUK with the RMXP character STR/DEX/AGI/INT and equipment ATK/PDEF/MDEF if I so choose.

Like http://rpgmaker.net/games/3578/ ?
Not filling everything with floor doesn't change the fact that almost everything is a complete square tile with no real way to round off edges.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Perhaps he want to make it stand-alone? Because gmRPG requires rather costly GM Studio (okay, I snagged GM Standard when it was free, but normally is very costly).

Anyway, IMO most important "RM Killer" project you should have your eyes on is Open RPG Maker. While only half of work is done (editor is basically complete aside few rough spots in database, no engine though), engine is way on its way towards completion and developer always deliver what he promises.

Unfortunately development moves on slow pace (which is understandable given complexity of such software) to the point I once thought it is dead, but developer delivers updates sooner or later (ETA for basic engine - no battle system - is May or June, something like that don't know exactly).

OpenRM is much more than Enterbrain's product and in fact all features listed here are either planned for it, already implemented in editor or something better is offered.
GM Studio Standard is $50 whenever they're not giving it away for free--about two-thirds the price of VX Ace (although I also took advantage of the free offer).

And gmRPG would be perfect if it wasn't on hiatus. At least that has a complete engine I can still use while I'm waiting for the RPG interface.

author=ShortStar
I'd say Final Fantasy clones more than Dragon Quest.

Sure, RM2k3 had that ATB system, and the English-speaking RM userbase might be making games more akin to Final Fantasy, but the default (ATK/2 - DEF/4) damage formula and the front-view battle system are both taken from inspired by Dragon Quest.
I just had a great idea for a good feature : Collaboration.
A system where both users connect to a host that will sync their work and let them work on the same project at the same time. Changes that are saved will then automatically be sent over to the other participants
Pages: first prev 123 next last