GAME PAGE IDEA(S)

Pages: first 12 next last
Hai.

I had the strangest idea... Would it be odd to add "website" on the right side of the game pages (under developers, engine, etc.). There might not be a good reason for doing so, but people do have, and make, websites for their games.

Just a suggestion I suppose. *shrug*

Well, some people do add that to the description (a link to their website). I will consider this.
If you guys add that you should probably make a filter of 'bad' websites so nobody clicks spam or screamers.
We don't do that with game descriptions now, though... (beyond our initial submission queue)
Well, game pages get checked before they are accepted to the site, so there's that at least. And people can easily report it if there's a link that leads them to hell. I doubt anyone would go through the effort of creating a game just to put in a false link, though.
Not a bad idea, actually. In fact, I would like it in the future that we can add more details to our game pages, such as adding in a rating system for more mature projects, single or multiplayer support, online play, misao awards / nominations for that particular game, game’s length / replay value, and among other things like that. Also, more different types of genres available for a particular game would be nice, too.
You can hold CTRL and pick more than one genre from the list provided when editing game data. You can also add all that misc stuff to your description if you think it's necessary.
I agree about the genres being lacking. I'm having trouble putting any of my games as anything else than Adventure (which they aren't really).
author=SnowOwl
I agree about the genres being lacking. I'm having trouble putting any of my games as anything else than Adventure (which they aren't really).
I couldn't think of any new (or distinctive enough) Genres that we don't already reasonably cover. What did you have in mind? I a genuinely curious.

I did brainstorm a long list of new flavors though.

Existing genres and flavors:
Action
Adventure
Platformer
Puzzle
RPG
Shooter
Simulation
Strategy
Tactics
Visual Novel

Arcade
Comedy
Cyberpunk
Dark
Dungeon Crawler
Fantasy
Fighting
First-Person
Futuristic
Historical
Horror
Modern
Music
Mystery
Noir
Oldschool
Overhead
Post-Apocalyptic
Sci-Fi
Sidescroller
Space
Steampunk
Text
Western

Flavor ideas:
Stealth
Survival
Sandbox
Management
Racing
Real-Time
Turn-Based
Tower Defense
Sports (This could be argued as a Genre)
Board Game
Trivia
Party
Casual (this could also be argued as a Genre)
Art
Edutainment
Adult
Rhythm (we do have Music though...)
Logic
School
Japanese (as opposed to Western I guess)
Craze

On other sites I have also seen "Indie" as genre, but... ALL games on RMN are 'indie'
Your ideas are good, I could pretty much cover all my games with those.
Some more ideas:
Maze
Roguelike
Minigame
Survival horror
Bullet hell
Metroidvania
Point 'n click
I felt that Dungeon Crawler did good enough to cover 'Roguelike', but maybe that's not distinctive enoigh? And if we have 'Survival' and 'Horror' then we don't also need 'Survival Horror'. What is different about Minigame vs. Casual? Isn't "Metroidvania" a Platformer Adventure? What is a Point n' Click?

Maze could work, and Bullethell. Also, would Hack n' Slash been distinctive enough to add?

EDIT:
also, is there a term for "Collecting Things" flavor? I am thinking like Pac-Man where the point of the game would be to collect 'pucs' to clear a level.
author=kentona
What is a Point n' Click?

I agree with separating dungeon crawler with roguelike. Roguelikes generally rely on randomly generated content and permadeath which aren't necessarily part of all dungeon crawlers.
Point and click: Games whose main method of control are pointing and clicking with a cursor. Usually applied to retro (or retro styled) Adventure games such as The Secret of Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion.

Some of them are sub-genres, I guess. I would argue that Survival horror is a different genre than Survival, though. When I think survival I think of games like Don't starve, and Survival horror would be something like Amnesia.

Also hilariously, alot of people call Pac-man the first game in the Survival horror genre. I would put it as Maze.
oh yeah, fucking Hidden Object. I think we have a couple of those here. I hate those games. Oh, and Match 3

Time/Resource Management games are a favorite of mine, but I feel that adding 'Management' would suffice. But maybe Time Management would be better.

E:
But if you have 'Survival' and 'Horror' as options, why not just select both of those? Why also have 'Survival Horror'

"I have a 'Survival' 'Survival Horror' 'Horror' game!"

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kentona
Japanese (as opposed to Western I guess)
I had always thought of this as meaning old west, not just western RPG. I guess it is actually unclear right now and could maybe stand to be split into "Old West" and "Open World"? Fortunately there are only 14 games with this tag right now so it wouldn't be a big deal to figure out what to do with them.

Genre ideas:
Augmented Reality
Social
MOBA

Flavor ideas:
Adorable
Totally Rad
Bloody
Open World
Story Driven
Linear
ATB
Tabletop
Touchscreen Friendly
Misao Bait
Community Game

If you're adding a bunch of new genre/flavor tags, the limit of having a maximum of five total tags per game probably needs to be lifted.
author=LockeZ
Misao Bait

Cue everyone and their mother using this.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Your game is Misao Bait if you release it in November or December, and it's extremely artsy and uses no RTP.
it also has to have a "deep" story, preferably about death.

wtf is a MOBA
unity
You're magical to me.
It stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. I don't know a whole lot on the subject, but League of Legends is one, and they seem to combine RTS aspects but with players only controlling a single character and... okay, not totally sure what qualifies a game as a MOBA.
Pages: first 12 next last