ARE CORE SCRIPTS GETTING OUT OF CONTROL?

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

So your browsing through the internet for a new script to use. You find the perfect one, but wait... It requires the core script?

Now lets back up a bit. Not all scripters absolutely require you to use their core script. Yanfly has a core script, but it is not required to run any of his other scripts. Yet sometimes you run into scripts that require the core, such as Casper Gaming and in some cases Yami.

Now its obvious that in some cases that the core script has information that is required by subsequent scripts. But in some of these cases it might be possible to add the necessary lines to the secondary script to make it work. I'll let this slide.

But I recently came across a script that said it required the core script to run it. I tried the core and I hated it. So I read through the secondary script. (For reference: http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/670-simple-gold-hud/)
And right at the top is an error handling if you don't have the core script. But if you remove this the secondary script works just fine without the core.
There is nothing in the secondary script that actually requires the core script... So why force people to use it?

Do you think scripters get out of control sometimes by requiring a core script when its not really necessary?
Why? Because more likely than not the scripter might be working on another additional snippet to the first script that will require the Core. Or perhaps a function of that script that you're not using requires the Core. Maybe you don't know what's changed in the script that requires the Core and it's not apparent until oops, one day game crash for no reason.

Frankly, core scripts are set-up and base for the scripters other scripts so not using them if they're required is a pretty stupid move.

Hopefully if the script does crash your game you grab the core script instead of taking up the poor scripter's time with 'bugs' that wouldn't exist if you used the script like it's recommended.

Hell, just post the core script at the bottom of the script database. If it's below the last heading (Main?) it's automatically 'turned off'. That way the script is there if you do end up needing it (and you won't have to search for it).
SunflowerGames
But in some cases it could be that the scripter is trying to get you to use more of their scripts in your project. Think about commercial projects, they need to pay for scripts... There is some financial motivation to encourage creating more scripts.
For me it sounds like the decrepit spirit of
RMXP SDK ressurecting in a less harmful, but still obnoxious way.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That's obnoxious. This is a new phenomenon I hadn't heard of.

On the plus side, you could probably make your own simple gold HUD like that in a day if you've never attempted to make a script before, and in like thirty minutes if you know what you're doing. And there are like five hundred other downloadable scripts that are nearly identical. So you can just boycott the bastard.
I don't mind the purpose of core scripts, if the people who write all these great scripts feel the need to better organize their scripts in this manner who'd I be saying no to that?

That in mind, I hate it when core scripts also interact and change the game in subtle ways that I wasn't asking for when I'm using this other script -- like changing font colors, gauge types and colors and the like. Easy to correct, often, sure. But it makes me feel like I'm helplessly walking in circles when using a new script requires me to know how to tweak the core script in a way it doesn't break the new script, just to keep the core script from changing other features of my game that I don't want...
As a scripter myself, I'll refrain from forcing the users to have my core script or whatever it is. It's annoying, if you ask me.

I've never checked those core scripts, but I'd say the purpose core scripts exist that it containts the scripter's own convenient scripting snippets, reducing headache for making more specific scripts.

I can only say that... better be patient and at least they work...!
SunflowerGames

author=synbi
That in mind, I hate it when core scripts also interact and change the game in subtle ways that I wasn't asking for when I'm using this other script -- like changing font colors, gauge types and colors and the like. Easy to correct, often, sure. But it makes me feel like I'm helplessly walking in circles when using a new script requires me to know how to tweak the core script in a way it doesn't break the new script, just to keep the core script from changing other features of my game that I don't want...

This is how I feel. Scripters like Yanfly were able to write their scripts so they wouldn't require the core. And some of his scripts are complex. So I know its possible.
Core scripts should be functions you're using over and over again in your scripts to start with. KISS and DRY methodology and all that jazz - if all of your scripts are using a refined version of a particular function, it's better to put that in a separate stand alone script so it's easier to make changes in one place instead of a dozen places.

But if you're not making use of any of your functions from the core... Yeah, there's no reason to enforce it's usage.
A lot of these core scripts are built to force you to using all their scripts. I can't blame them, though, it's a good way to ensure people are grabbing your stuff rather than pulling different scripts from different scripters. And once people are familiar with your stuff, you might be inclined to seek them out doing commission.

However, other times it can be necessary. Sure, a secondary script can be modified to work as a stand alone, but if all scripts have to be modified like this, it starts making sense to create a core script that can be updated just once.

On the plus side, having a single scripter you utilize scripts from does help to reduce issues you have with compatability. Just research who has what and go with what feels the best for your project.

Of course, if you're not satisfied with the majority, you can also learn to script yourself.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
I really don't think the reason these core scripts are made is for malicious marketing intentions. This has been going on for years within the RM community and very few scripters actually made profit from their work back then.

I agree with those stating that the cores are mainly built for the scripters themselves, to provide an easy way to use all the references they need to write their other scripts with little hassle in redefining everything. Unfortunately, it in turn means that the scripts may not be compatible with other people's scripts, especially if the author of the core script doesn't bother with adapting their coding style with others. They are almost solely made to make the scripter's job easier, and not necessarily for others.

So... I don't know. Deal with it I guess?
Pages: 1