[POLL] WHICH IS HOTTER? (MICROWAVE EDITION)

Poll

Which will make your food hotter? - Results

40 secs of 40 secs
15%
40 secs of 10 mins
7%
There is no Difference
76%

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

So let me explain the situation. You put food in the Microwave for 40 secs.

But lets say you put it in for exactly 40 secs vs. to 10 mins (but only let it stay in the microwave for 40 sec. ie. take it out at 9 min and 20 sec.)

Will putting it in microwave for the same amount of time but at 10 min make it hotter? Does the Microwave say to itself this meal is 10 mins long so I'm really going to work hard. So the 40 secs at of the 10 mins is actually hotter than putting it in for exactly 40 secs.

Yes, I spend my spare time thinking about things like this.
I highly doubt they thought that far ahead.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Just think of the things you could accomplish if you applied your energy to something halfway meaningful, such as determining how many potatoes you can make explode in a microwave because you didn't stab them with a fork.

And now, since I'm thinking of it, microwaves create heat by exciting water molecules. Are you suggesting that by setting a longer time you are making water molecules more excited?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Funny thing about microwave ovens. You can control exactly how much wattage of energy they emit onto your food by changing the "power" setting. Your food receives exactly the amount of energy that your microwave emits, and that energy is converted from microwaves into heat when it causes the water molecules to vibrate.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
While the term 'wattage of energy' doesn't sit comfortably with me, LockeZ is right. The microwave oven sends out electromagnetic waves that cause water molecules to vibrate, because, by their molecular structure, they are polarized. The energy that is sent out in the form of electromagnetic waves per second is the Power of the microwave oven, with the unit Watt, or Joules per second. This means that if you set the wattage, or power, of a microwave oven to, say, 900 W, the microwave oven is sending out energy at 900 Joules per second. If we disregard the energy that is lost, your food is going to receive 900 Joules of energy every second. Because E=P*t, this means that after 40 seconds, your food will have received 900W*40s=3.60*10^4J. It does not matter what the time of the microwave oven is set to. As long as the power is the same, your food will have received the same amount of energy after 40 seconds.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
WHICH IS HOTTER?

Yo mamma

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I mean I guess the actual question here isn't how microwave energy works, but whether the last X seconds of the time in the microwave are used as a "cooldown" time where it sends out less energy than normal.

And the answer is no, the cooldown time begins after the lamp turns off and takes less than a second.
I saw the title and was hoping to troll the thread hard. Then it was about actual temperature.

WAY TO RUIN MY DAY KORY GEEZ
I saw the title and was hoping to troll the thread hard. Then it was about actual temperature.

WAY TO RUIN MY DAY KORY GEEZ
LockeZ
Pizza, why do you get chewy when I put you in the microwave

I just want to put the hottest Pizza I know into my mouth
Pages: 1