RMN SWOLE

Pages: first 12 next last
Some of you who may know a little bit about me in real life know how passionate I am about fitness. I've been lifting and into athletics since college, studied nutrition, I am a Command Fitness Leader for my division in the Navy, I take being in shape to be a really big deal.

Luckily, society seems to have 'caught up' to it and being in shape is a pretty cool fad. Crossfit, Stronglifts and Insanity and other routines are passed around, people do color runs and Spartan Races, and people are generally more fit conscious than they were a few years before.

So this topic is to discuss fitness in general or relative to yourself. Post your thoughts on fitness, goals, plans, ideas, workouts, whatever. You can ask me for advice or thoughts as well, I'll answer.
I actually got a treadmill about a week ago and have it set up in front of the computer area so I can just pop on a YT video and watch while walking. Since I've been on medical leave I've put on a few so I decided to try and get back in shape and this seems an easy/fun way to do it.

I've never really been into exercise for the sake of exercise so I'm not really knowledgeable about a lot of stuff, but I gather water in and of itself is a no-no since electrolytes need to be replenished if you're doing a lot of walking/running? I think I read that somewhere, anyway. So what would be best, if you know? For not outright dying while pushing a walk?

(For the record, I can't do longer walks because my condition gets agitated if I do too much exercise. It's why I had to stop my volunteering - the work was about standing around and bending a lot and I've abdominal issues so... it's wasn't great.)

I've been doing 10-20 minutes, rest for an hour, then another 10-20 minutes, since I've not really got anything else going on atm. Before I got this cold/flu/bug thing I was doing that about 5-6 times a day. Too much? I'm just doing what feels right to me. ^.^;
author=Liberty
I've never really been into exercise for the sake of exercise so I'm not really knowledgeable about a lot of stuff, but I gather water in and of itself is a no-no since electrolytes need to be replenished if you're doing a lot of walking/running? I think I read that somewhere, anyway. So what would be best, if you know? For not outright dying while pushing a walk?

The sports drink industry would love to have people believe this, but for the level you're probably exercising at, it's really not the case.

If you're having serious, wring-your-shirt-out, mop-up-the-floor workout sessions, then yeah, you're depleting your electrolyte supply enough that you might start suffering muscle cramps or worse if your don't replenish them. But you can work out, and sweat, quite a bit before you reach a point where you need to worry about electrolyte intake beyond what you get in your diet as a matter of course (unless you have very unusual dietary intake.) Rehydrating yourself with plain water should be fine.
Coincidentally, I've been on a diet for a while.

Before, my routine was strictly upper-body building as opposed to an all-around schedule (I'd post it here, but it's been outdated for weeks), but since my muscles are more properly toned now, I've begun to balance it. My major goal is simply to get into shape and lose my gut, which I'm doing a decent job of so far. I'll probably keep going at it for a few more months or so and hopefully by then my stomach will be all but large.

The most consistent part of my exercise routine is jogging; I go around my block at least 2-3 times a day (usually, I just walk the third time, but I'm planning on changing that soon) since endurance has always been my biggest issue. Now I can be physically active for a fairly long time without working up much of a sweat, which is a large improvement from my condition at the beginning of the year.

Also, fuck sports drinks; bottled water all the way, man.
Yeah, the whole "brains vs brawn" thing and the demonization of jocks in popular media probably wasn't the greatest thing to ever happen to society as far as fitness goes.

I had an exercise "routine" for a while. Not really a routine, but I did rollerblade, jog, and do pull/sit/push-ups rather consistently. But then... I stopped. I don't remember why. Working on Oddysea Dungeon's soundtrack hasn't helped that. However, since I've been feeling crabby lately (getting writer's block repeatedly isn't fun) I've been trying to get back into it. I'll probably nix the sit-ups, though, since there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to whether or not they're good or bad for you.

My main reason for exercising is pretty much just general health concern, especially since obesity and a slew of illnesses are common across both sides of my family.
In general, I try to keep the fitness level up fairly decently. Like, not overly exercising but not a tub of lard. Unfortunately, I injured myself in high school playing rugby and blown my knee out pretty heftily. It makes doing a lot of exercise incredibly difficult (like, if my knee goes during the workout, I'm looking at a week or two on painkillers just to be able to walk), but I still try to keep walking and when I have to go to the corner store, I run there and back if possible. It's a short distance, but a good hundred yards or so, so it's a nice quick burst work out.

Unfortunately, my appetite from that same period never died and my love of alcohols have increased since then (he says after his fourth beer). It's caused a bit of weight gain which I'd like to get rid of (it's not a whole lot in truth, given my height) and having a sedentary job doesn't help. I try to keep my intake of the bad stuff down, and I've got a pretty protein heavy diet (meat and protein shakes... meat and protein shakes er'day), and it all keeps my weight fairly balanced, but I'd like to be a little bit better. I always wanted to work on the parkour thing, but my body's just too broken to be able to do it anymore. =(
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I'm a pretty skinny guy, and don't have much muscle. I'm trying to do push-ups and sit-ups and squats (body weight) in my room every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When I'm kind of "OK" enough then I'll go to the gym and do real weights. I did real weights for a bit, but then decided that I was probably too small to even lift them for them to make any real difference. Can someone tell me if that's a thing? Like, being too small so that body weight exercises is the best thing to do? Or should I go straight to big weights?
The only problem I seem to have is that I spent pretty much 90% of my time, about 10 – 15 hours average per week, focusing on my lower body by either walking carrying a bunch of heavy bags of groceries around for two hours (saves money on gas), playing basketball or soccer in the park (about an hour on average) or using the spin bike if it’s absolute crap outside. And although I enjoy doing these exercises and my legs look like giant tree trunks, I’ve been telling myself over and over again to tone all that down and focus on the upper body more by using the weights at home and the rower that we have (which I’ve used a lot before in the past). I dunno, I guess I just prefer going outside chucking a ball around while diving on grass and pavement more than just being at home doing weights as I kinda miss doing that stuff when I was younger.

Nutrition is, overall, pretty good; I don’t drink, don’t go to fast food restaurants, very seldomly eat pizza or chips, and I haven’t touched a drop of pop in quite some time. I used to eat a ton of ice cream in the past, but have managed to widdle it down to just having an ice cream sandwich once in a while to compensate for something “bad”. I guess if I can just focus on spending as much time as I do on my lower body with my upper body – then I should be pretty good. :D
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
That's good to hear. Recently I went a month without soda. Which was, suffice to say, a big thing for me. At the point I decided to quit, I was having around a can every day (unhealthy, I know). But I feel better without soda for a month. Now I'm going to go a month without soda, or chips, chocolate and lollies. I still have takeout (burger only, no combos), but perhaps that will be out of the equation too when I stop being too lazy to pack my lunch.
author=CashmereCat
Can someone tell me if that's a thing? Like, being too small so that body weight exercises is the best thing to do? Or should I go straight to big weights?

Well, you can definitely be small enough that it's a bad idea to try lifting big weights, but if you have regular physical functionality, there's really no point at which it's just a bad idea to lift external weights at all.

You can do a lot of good exercises, and get quite strong, working just with body weight. But a regimen of just pushups, situps and squats (which I used for a while in my teens too) isn't very balanced, since you're not working the muscles that oppose the ones you use in those exercises. If the muscles you use to push (like in a pushup) are strong, but the ones you use to pull (like in tug-of-war or a pullup) are weak, then you'll be more prone to injury.

You can do real beginner workouts at a gym, and it's also good to have a separate place you can go to work out which you don't use for anything else, because it makes it much easier to stay motivated and on task when you're there. So don't avoid going to a gym because you feel like you aren't ready for one yet. But you don't strictly need a gym to put together some effective workouts (there have been times when I've used a mostly-abandoned playground as a workout spot,) so you might get your workouts outside a gym to save money.

If you're not that familiar with exercise though, going to a gym is probably safer, because there will be other people to give you advice on form and such and watch to make sure you don't do anything where you're liable to hurt yourself (it would definitely be a mistake to think that if you don't start doing exercises with big free weights, you're safe from the risk of injury.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Computers have made fitness obsolete.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=LockeZ

LockeZ, the major problem I see with you and your posting habits is that you seriously don't know when to shut up about things. That statement wasn't funny, it looks like a lame attempt at humor and it adds nothing to the discussion. Considering that some of your statements even incite flame wars on this board (I'm not going to name off specifics for the sake of not reviving old shit storms), I HIGHLY recommend that you actually start ascertaining whether every topic/post is WORTH your reply.

If someone is insulting you in a post, just don't reply to them; someone posted about the death of their loved one and you think it's bull? Just don't post! The saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" really applies here.

... Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

On Topic: I rarely go outside and work out, even though I kind of want to. I mainly look towards my mother in regards to advice on fitness, since she was a part of that whole scene at one point.

I think what many people don't realize is that you really don't need to go out of your way in order to stay fit. Getting up and doing regular walks, learning about healthy meal choices, just doing something that doesn't involve sitting on your butt all day actually leads to a healthy lifestyle. I think a lot of new addictions, such as the obsession with apple products, have given people less of a reason to go out and do anything physical.
For me, fitness is something that's always a work in progress for me, so even though I'm 'fit' now, I'm always trying to stay fit and push myself further. I want to hike up Mt. Rainer (I live in Seattle) this summer, and I'd eventually love to run a Spartan Race or a Color Run or something. Right now I keep myself good to go through a lifting regimen and I try to sprint a 7-8 minute mile every day.

author=Liberty

Des is right; Gatorade is sort of pushing the whole 'ELECTROLYTES NOW' thing, but it's pretty much totally false; unless you're doing a marathon or playing a football game, water is totally fine for something as light as walking. Don't be fooled. Even running, water is absolutely fine. Electrolyes don't come into play unless you're doing something really strenuous.

author=Cat
I'm a pretty skinny guy, and don't have much muscle. I'm trying to do push-ups and sit-ups and squats (body weight) in my room every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. When I'm kind of "OK" enough then I'll go to the gym and do real weights. I did real weights for a bit, but then decided that I was probably too small to even lift them for them to make any real difference. Can someone tell me if that's a thing? Like, being too small so that body weight exercises is the best thing to do? Or should I go straight to big weights?

Body weight exercises are fine for a baseline fitness thing, and they can be a great supplement to a fitness program, but if you're actually trying to develop functional strength, you're going to have to nut up and hit those weights; your body is already used to carrying itself around, and it won't get any stronger unless you actively challenge it. Try Stronglifts, it's an excellent starter plan to get stronger. You're never too weak for weights, just don't be scared.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Ratty524
author=LockeZ
LockeZ, the major problem I see with you and your posting habits is that you seriously don't know when to shut up about things. That statement wasn't funny, it looks like a lame attempt at humor and it adds nothing to the discussion. Considering that some of your statements even incite flame wars on this board (I'm not going to name off specifics for the sake of not reviving old shit storms), I HIGHLY recommend that you actually start ascertaining whether every topic/post is WORTH your reply.

If someone is insulting you in a post, just don't reply to them; someone posted about the death of their loved one and you think it's bull? Just don't post! The saying "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" really applies here.

... Sorry, I just needed to get that off my chest.

(this reply intentionally left blank)
author=LockeZ

One day, I'll be a series of electrical impulses inside a machine, and then I'll imagine myself as a super buff dude, but then so will every other guy, and all of a sudden we'll come to the collective realization that we were just holding onto the shreds of our old narcissism and an outmoded understanding of self-concept, and we'll shed that like we shed our bodies and exist as beings of pure thought. This will take roughly three-tenths of a second.

Until then, though, I'll more or less be a fat slob. Exercise cuts into game development time.
Electrolytes are useful whenever you've sweat a lot. They aren't NEEDED, but they're useful when you've lost salt via sweat, period. If you sweat profusely while walking, electrolytes and water are better than water. If you run a marathon and you are somehow only a little sweaty, water is more than good enough. You won't die if you don't drink electrolytes, but you will rehydrate slightly faster. Also, Gatorade is delicious. I fuckin' love orange Gatorade.

I feel like this topic is just filler until Mog can post a picture of his abs.
author=Kaem
I feel like this topic is just filler until Mog can post a picture of his abs.

author=Kaempfer
Electrolytes are useful whenever you've sweat a lot. They aren't NEEDED, but they're useful when you've lost salt via sweat, period. If you sweat profusely while walking, electrolytes and water are better than water. If you run a marathon and you are somehow only a little sweaty, water is more than good enough. You won't die if you don't drink electrolytes, but you will rehydrate slightly faster. Also, Gatorade is delicious. I fuckin' love orange Gatorade.

Rehydration is just... re-hydration. Restoring lost water. Getting electrolytes won't speed it up. Restoring electrolyte balance is a different matter entirely, but people normally get plenty of electrolytes through food, so unless they're losing an exceptional amount, getting more from drinks won't help at all (and it's definitely not the case that you can never have too much.)

If you're trying to lose weight though, stuff like gatorade is actually pretty terrible because it's so loaded with sugar. You could use it to help recover when you're trying to put on muscle, but I'd always prefer a shake or something with some kind of protein source. Also I am frankly dumbfounded that anyone can stand the taste of gatorade because it is basically sweat plus sugar plus the most horribly artificial fruit flavorings known to man.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I've found that actually getting in shape was never the hard part, maintaining it and being consistent and commited to what you want out if your regime and self satisfaction with your own body is the truly hard part.

I've always stayed in shape, I honestly never understood why it's such a weird concept to want to stay healthy and fit in your life. It's like a well known fact that it's something we should all be but technology has helped and hurt us in that regard I guess... I don't know what I'm saying, it sounded better in my head.

But yes I love to challenge myself, it's a great feeling to have and I've done some pretty serious training as well, haven't tried Crossfit yet, definitely going to though.
Linkis
Don't hate me cause I'm Cute :)
wow, what to say :)

Hurt my back in Vietnam, started with compressed discs and severe muscle spasms.
Over the years I was not too bad even though I did office work and sat all day but going to and home from work, I walked so it was not bad.
Then I moved and needed a car to get around. THAT was my downfall, no more walking and I did not realize what was going to happen.

Now I've had bariatric surgery, lost 75bls but because of my back still can not exercise.
Hoping to lose enough so the back pain eases up and I can exercise.
We have a workout room where I live and even a trainer so maybe I can get skinny like the rest of you :) haha

PS How the hell do you stop drinking soda ?? I drink diet Sunkist orange soda like water :(
Pages: first 12 next last