REUSING RESOURCES

Pages: 1
So I'm curious. For the people that make your own resources, be it music, sounds, sprites or whatever. Do you reuse the stuff you make?

I tend to reuse some terrain sprites, such as walls and ground. However reusing creatures and character sprites feels like I'm watering down the character sprite I'm using and I'm afraid somebody that played any of my other games with the sprite would recognize it and it would "take them out of the game", which is why I don't reuse them very often (except if I'm doing it for a time-limited contest, for Rust and Blood I reused the main character sprite from another of my games).

As for sounds and music, I don't really make those myself but sound effects and ambient sounds I tend to reuse rather frequently since I have a database of good sounds. Music, same as with character sprites, I feel like it would take the player out of the game if they recognized it from my old games.
unity
You're magical to me.
I personally have no qualms reusing any resources I've made (in my case, it's tilesets, enemy battlers, occasionally battle animations, etc) but I often look at the older stuff and go "Man, this is flawed" and redraw it for the newer project. I suspect this will lessen as my art improves, but I'm still in a zone where I'm constantly learning how to do things much better, especially in the area of drawing tilesets.
Well, the only resource that I've made enough of to have any input in this topic is music, and I refuse to use music tracks. Maybe like you said, SnowOwl, I could see reusing a track if I'm up against the clock for a contest, but that hasn't come up yet. I've started making other resources for my current project, and I don't think I'd reuse anything outside of sound effects. I definitely wouldn't reuse sprites since, as you said, it would water down the characters. I guess the thing is, if the resource is a defining quality of the game, then I wouldn't use it in another.
Everything I ever make, be it stories, art, characters, or graphics, enters a pool of resources until I know for absolute certain that I want to place it in one of our projects, or until me and Matrix both decide on what's best to do with it.

So technically I don't reuse anything, no. Maybe in the sense that one project may be "destroyed" in order to divert its content into other stuff, but that's it. In terms of graphical assets, if I can make original stuff for one game I can certainly make it for another.
I get no problems reusing back (50%) resources from previous games, mostly Sound Effects & BGM files for new games. But anyway, I will try my best not to reuse same character sprites (except I wish them take small part of the game's story) as well as tilesets.

Reusing back old sources are fine, as long you knew where and when the right time to use it.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I have played both Rust and Blood and Reap and Sow and I think you used the same sprite for the main character? It didn't take me out of the experience, because I didn't see them as the same at all. I just saw it as your unique way of portraying humans... dark and blobby and without much definition. As if it's not something to focus on.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
In the case where games are in a series, I share resources between them for the sake of continuity. For single-experience games, not so much.
author=Marrend
In the case where games are in a series, I share resources between them for the sake of continuity. For single-experience games, not so much.

Sure, for that type of things I would do that too.
author=CashmereCat
I have played both Rust and Blood and Reap and Sow and I think you used the same sprite for the main character? It didn't take me out of the experience, because I didn't see them as the same at all. I just saw it as your unique way of portraying humans... dark and blobby and without much definition. As if it's not something to focus on.

Yeah Rust and Blood was a contest game so I reused the character sprite. It was a kinda anonymous sprite though, as you say, so I felt that it was fine.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
But yeah, I guess reusing sprites can provide some sort of consistency of style between your games. Plus if you think like the hassle of getting new resources is going to spend way too much time for the return that it brings, then it's OK to reuse resources. In fact I think that a lot of good developers reuse resources to make stuff quicker. The more practice you get, the easier it is to create stuff because you've done it before, you just tweak it a little bit.
Pages: 1