WINDOWS XP USERS, LOOKS LIKE WE JUST GOT TOSSED INTO THE SEA.

Pages: first 123 next last
With the passing of XP, I can imagine our systems being connected to the internet is no longer going to be safe. I heard horrible stories how old style games like this, and other games like Baldur's Gate, Age of Empires,etc, does not play nice with Windows 7 and 8. Is there a way to get through these 1st world problems? lol
I use Windows 7 on my primary computers - I've never had an issue playing anything with it. If I did, I could use DOS Box to run things, but with such fun stuff as compatibility mode, I've never run into the error once.

(And I do play plenty of old games as well.)

Also, it's not entirely unsafe to be running XP anymore. It's no less safe than it was when there was updates - it just won't get any safer.
author=Travio
I use Windows 7 on my primary computers - I've never had an issue playing anything with it. If I did, I could use DOS Box to run things, but with such fun stuff as compatibility mode, I've never run into the error once.

(And I do play plenty of old games as well.)

Also, it's not entirely unsafe to be running XP anymore. It's no less safe than it was when there was updates - it just won't get any safer.

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn't too sure with 7. Can you still buy it in stores?
Probably - you can usually buy a generation or two older OSes. In fact, just went to Tiger Direct to look it up; they're still selling it.

There's also, I believe, a private group that was considering continuing support for Windows XP on their own; there'd be a huge market for it, considering how many organizations still use it on their machines.

Windows 8, to the best of my knowledge, does still have issues running things because of the massive departure from previous Windows OSes at its very core. They've been working on adapting stuff, but there's still some problems.
TehGuy
Resident Nonexistence
author=Kaliesto
I heard horrible stories how old style games like this, and other games like Baldur's Gate

Which is partly why we now have the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

For the most part, older games just require a bit more tinkering with to get working again (Quake II refused to run normally, had to go get kmQuake (I think) to be able to run it)
I just buy old games from GOG. They're good at making old games work on newer versions of Windows.

And regular end users like you or me mean little to Microsoft - it's the big corporate clients like governments and banks that matter - and let me tell you they aren't ready to switch off XP (it is RIDICULOUS just the sheer number of ATMs that run windows XP!)

Support for XP will continue for a while yet because of the bucketloads of money that is about to be dumped into continued support.
My government workplace PC is Windows 7, so not all departments are behind the times :P I think a lot of them got switched a year or two ago.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
For the record, it's not like XP suddenly stopped working today. They're just going to stop releasing updates for it.

The updates only did one thing, which was decrease the chance of people who don't use antivirus software getting a virus. But their chance of getting a virus was always really high without antivirus software. And the chance of getting one with antivirus software isn't really going to change.

The "discontinued support" is meant to cause people to panic and buy new computers; it succeeded. However, it has no real effect.
author=Link_2112
My government workplace PC is Windows 7, so not all departments are behind the times :P I think a lot of them got switched a year or two ago.
Mine is Windows XP, running an old version of Tomcat, with an old version of Eclipse, and an old version of MySQL, because that's what the old custom software I am supporting supports.

This is hardly a unique situation.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
The fact of the matter is, I'm not going going to stop using my XP until someone comes out with an alternative that is actually worth a shit. My big gaming computer that I built but can't hook up to the Internet right now because I can't afford the extra bill is XP. It's not as good as NT, 2000, 98, and truthfully, I miss 95 most of all, but it's, by far, better than everything that's come after. I have every operating system except for 8 on some computer somewhere. I have Windows 7 on the laptop I am typing this on. I have Vista on an old defunct laptop I need to get up and running so I can pull some files off of it.

There is no worse shit on the market than Windows Vista or 7. On no other operating systems have I ever gotten blue screen of death on a brand, fucking, new computer every other day. My big gaming computer with its 10 gigs of RAM and terabyte of storage is four years old, has run XP the whole time, and has even survived and fully recovered from an attack from the 404 virus without requiring major work.

On a final note, I'd like an operating system that is as good as the old Microsoft OSes, but isn't made by Microsoft or Linux. The companies that everybody knows, as far as I am concerned, can go screw themselves.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=pianotm
The fact of the matter is, I'm not going going to stop using my XP until someone comes out with an alternative that is actually worth a shit.
Try Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. You'll never be able to touch XP again. I recently had to go back to using an XP computer briefly at work and it was like ripping my own fingernails out.

I remember liking it a lot, though. I guess it's easy to get spoiled on a better product.

EDIT: Seriously, Windows 8 even includes a "Windows XP mode." There's no excuse.
I dunno man... being able to record sound that the computer made was a pretty cool feature of Windows XP that was dropped in 7. Also, being able to make a nice organized Start menu was a plus.

But yeah, I like 7 overall, but to say I don't miss some things about XP would be a lie.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=pianotm
There is no worse shit on the market than Windows Vista or 7. On no other operating systems have I ever gotten blue screen of death on a brand, fucking, new computer every other day. My big gaming computer with its 10 gigs of RAM and terabyte of storage is four years old, has run XP the whole time, and has even survived and fully recovered from an attack from the 404 virus without requiring major work.

Vista is crap but I have had 7 for 5 years and am only having minor hiccups now. Mostly hardware problems. Plus the general UI for 7 I find way more attractive than XP. I can't believe I used to have so many toolbars open (confusing!).
My Windows 8 Taskbar/Start Menu/Windows Explorer works exactly like Windows XP with added features like pinning and recent/frequent items by right click. Every part of everything is customizable. It boots in Desktop mode and the whole redesigned panel desktop is a side feature. Which for some functions is actually useful, like email. I have no trouble running any programs. I installed Classic Shell last year, way before 8.1. There really is no difference, except for all the cool up to date features. For whatever reason some people have hardware issues, which I would guess is the minority.

http://www.classicshell.net/gallery/

So to summarize; all that bullshit you associate with new versions of Windows can be disabled and replaced so it runs like XP!
Can't say I'll miss it. Every program and game I use works with it (with some coercion for older games, and one in particular needs the same fix on XP too). It works great with all my hardware. It's pretty too. W7 is a fine successor to XP.

I think the one thing that I really missed was the XP image viewer. It worked with animated gifs while the Vista/W7 one doesn't. If there's more I don't remember at all. Having to re-enable stereo mix is pretty dumb too.
For whatever reason some people have hardware issues, which I would guess is the minority.
Windows 8 caused my fan in my laptop to overwork itself and then it died an ignoble death. The fan worked fine when it was windows 7
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I downgraded my laptop to Windows XP just to try it out and it exploded without warning, killing everyone in a three block radius. Would not recommend.
author=CashmereCat
author=pianotm
Vista is crap but I have had 7 for 5 years and am only having minor hiccups now. Mostly hardware problems. Plus the general UI for 7 I find way more attractive than XP. I can't believe I used to have so many toolbars open (confusing!).

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the "if you're having issues with 7 on a new computer, there's hardware problems." Brand new != perfect; fun fact, at least 1/4 of new hardware has at least some defect in it (most will continue to run fine, but not at optimal capacity).

Skip Vista, it never worked right, even with their SP updates. 7 with SP1 runs perfectly fine without dealing with a lot of the issues of using old software on 8.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
There's no reason to go to 7 instead of 8 if you're upgrading. You're eventually going to run into the same problem in the long run as you are now by sticking to XP. WinRT is the future and not having access to it is going to increasingly limit the software you have access to.

Windows 8 is nearly identical to 7 in every way that matters, except it can also run software that sits atop WinRT.

EDIT: At least Microsoft has a sense of humor.
Pages: first 123 next last