[POLL] MORE ICONIC FOR NINTENDO, MARIO OR LINK?

Poll

More iconic for Nintendo, Mario or Link? - Results

Mario
94%
Link
5%

Pages: first 123 next last
Me and my brother had a very heated if you will, discussion yesterday about who is the most iconic character for the Nintendo brand. I'm sure that 99.99% of the people in the world, if not more would pick from either Mario or Link. I said Mario and my brother said Link. I pick Mario because he had his hand in just about every type of genre there is. Sports, RPGs, party games, board games, fighters... and the list goes on. He in my oppinion is the one thing that Nintendo can always count on to produce a good product. Though like everything, there are some exceptions of course **COUGH**the CDI**COUGH**. People may argue that Links bad games can be counted with just a few fingers. That may be true, but look at amount of titles Mario had. That's like saying Tommy Maddox was a better QB then Tom Brady because he threw less interceptions. Ofcourse Brady will have more interceptions, he played longer and threw the ball alot more.

My brother also said Link is better becasue it's a more mature series. Being mature will not mean it's better. Mario has an apeal different to that of Link and the whole Zelda franchise. Link to me, is almost a one trick pony. Now I love the Zelda franchise and if your good at something, stick to it. I will admit I don't think the action RPG genre would fit Mario all that well. All in all, they are both the corner stones for Nintendo, both make great games and both are fun as hell.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
It's Mario, why even question it. Not only is he Nintendo's cover boy but also gaming in general. Hell he's what most people around the world would think of when saying the words video game. He's almost as iconic as Disney's Mickey Mouse, link may be an important figure for Nintendo but he's absolutely nothing in comparison to the worldwide recognition that Mario has.

Mario is Nintendo.

I don't even know why I bothered posting, this topic is kinda pointless.
As much as I love Link, Mario is what springs to mind. Mario.
it's obviously Mario.
author=Tau
It's Mario, why even question it. Not only is he Nintendo's cover boy but also gaming in general. Hell he's what most people around the world would think of when saying the words video game. He's almost as iconic as Disney's Mickey Mouse, link may be an important figure for Nintendo but he's absolutely nothing in comparison to the worldwide recognition that Mario has.

Mario is Nintendo.

I don't even know why I bothered posting, this topic is kinda pointless.

Oh, I agree all the way. I wanted to prove a point to my brother (who is reading all of this with me as I type.)
Fun fact: I have a Mario plushie about 45cm high. He's cool. I've yet to see a Link plushie.

@JP's brother: Mario~
author=Liberty
Fun fact: I have a Mario plushie about 45cm high. He's cool. I've yet to see a Link plushie.

@JP's brother: Mario~

Hahaha he said shut up. I would be interested to see someone try to make a valid argument for Link.
author=Sailerius
Who?

My brother said shut up when Liberty made the plush toy comment
I think he meant "Link who?", not who should shut up. When you quote someone right after they post it's pretty obvious who you are talking to.

There is no great argument for Link because it's Mario.
author=Link_2112
I think he meant "Link who?", not who should shut up. When you quote someone right after they post it's pretty obvious who you are talking to.

There is no great argument for Link because it's Mario.

Bill (my brother) said "Well, the Zelda games have better story and usually last longer." I faced palmed to that.
I'll vote for Link, just to be a jerk.

The quality of the games doesn't have much to do with who is more iconic. Mario is the one who's face can seen most in advertising and such. And more kids play Mario games before Zelda games, because Zelda games are too complicated for them. So Mario has way more exposure. Games like Mario Party and the Mario sports games make the gap too large to close.
author=NewBlack
sonic

ROFLMAO

Edit: I will say I enjoyed Ocarina of Time more then any Mario game I ever played and I LOVED Mario 64. Ocarina of Time, in my oppinion is one of the best games out there.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Kids nowadays don't even know who Mario or Link are. Angry Birds is the new Mario.
author=Jparker1984
I will say I enjoyed Ocarina of Time more then any Mario game I ever played and I LOVED Mario 64. Ocarina of Time, in my oppinion is one of the best games out there.
If the question was "Which character do you like more?" more people would pick Link.

author=Sailerius
Kids nowadays don't even know who Mario or Link are. Angry Birds is the new Mario.
Not really. Lots of kids have a Wii or DS and play mario games.
Yeah, my daughter just turned 3 and she knows who Mario is. I was playing Mario 64 she walked by and yells "look it's Mario." Pround parent momment.
Mario, mainly due to how kid friendly it is.
author=Sailerius
My kid would like to have a word with you.

...except he is too busy playing Super Mario Bros. (ironically, i stopped playing Angry Birds on my phone to browse RMN)

author=Link_2112
author=Jparker1984
I will say I enjoyed Ocarina of Time more then any Mario game I ever played and I LOVED Mario 64. Ocarina of Time, in my oppinion is one of the best games out there.
If the question was "Which character do you like more?" more people would pick Link.
No they wouldn't because most people don't know who Link is.
Pages: first 123 next last