WHAT HAS SET THE BAR FOR YOU CONCERNING RMN VILLAINS?

Pages: first 12 next last
I just finished the Legacy episodes Demon, and Phantom. I got to say Nightblade's villain Shadar really surprised me at every turn. If he ever gets into the video-game studio business I would definitely buy his games. >>

What RMN games have you all played that has a great villain?
There are good RM villains? That sounds far fetched to me. There are barely enough finished RM games worth playing to even pick a single one.

inb4 that godawful nonsense idiot from Forever's End gets mentioned
author=Pizza
There are good RM villains? That sounds far fetched to me. There are barely enough finished RM games worth playing to even pick a single one.

author=Pizza

You should play Demon Legacy, and Phantom Legacy! You won't regret it! I had a blast!
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Shadar is pretty good, I can't wait to actually play PL.

Sunset Over Imdahl would surprise, it's definitely not your typical approach but from what happens. Man it's like impossible to not spoil that game by mentioning what I want to say... Just go play it.

Memorable Villains though? Barbatta from Legion Saga III I've always remembered. It wasn't necessarily how he was it was more what Kamau did to make him very well known to be the one you're supposed to fear. Plus he had that cool theme song which I still don't know where it's borrowed from.

The Ways antagonist is supposedly very good, sadly I can't remember a thing from those games aside from the graphics blending of 3D and 2D.

There's been a few standout anti heroes over the years. Solian from Devil Hunter, Luce Vernandos from Gens 2, Talan from A Blurred Line in a way.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=kentona
shmup

Those guys were definitely RMN villains.

Craze thinks he's a serious villain, but he's more like Ultros.

Oh wait, you meant villains from RMN games. Uh. Uh. Shit, there are so many bad ones, and it seems like even the really well-written games often don't actually have a main villain character. Which is probably what makes them stand out from the sea of evil empires and demon lords.

I'm gonna go with the villain from LCPANES Terminal, even though the conflict is really protagonist vs. environment, because the villain created the environment.
author=kentona
shmup

Oh, god

EEEEEEVIIIIIL
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
So, let's make some good villains. I think that's what turns me off of so many of the games here. My favorite character always tends to be the villain and when there are no good villains, the rest of the story is just...meh.
If I ever finished any of my RPGs you'd see a few decent villains but alas, kentona and craze have infected me with the 'never gonna finish this game' disease. :<

But good ones? Raven from Clouded Heart. Oh man, dat villain~ Also the Vultures and the end villainess~<3

The villain in Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer. :D

Dhux's Scar...

Sunset Over Imdahl's villain - seconding here~

Also, I enjoyed Antignorat from Jay's Journey though he did fall into the 'evil guy' tropes, he was at least around a lot through-out the game.

The villains from Paradise Blue were memorable... :D

Another vote for the villains of The Way.

(I kid. I was infected with that disease long before I met either of them.)
Been meaning to ask Tau. Does that happen to be you in that profile picture? Sorta off-topic, but might as well ask now >.>
I'm going to third Sunset Over Imdahl!

And I'll add The Prophet into the mix. He's not too original I think, but he was pretty well implemented since he was fairly intimidating. He's from Visions and Voices.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=Kaliesto
>_>

Just remembered another one. Zephyrus and the Kingdom of Heaven has some interesting villains mixed in, though it was more along the religious context and motivations that really brought it across.
Suzy from Suzy and freedom. Call her an anti-hero or whatever, but she's a villain in my eyes.

And um the main guy from Beautiful Escape: Dungeoneer. I don't know, calunio just knows how to write genuinely disturbing characters, regardless of whether they are the main character or not.

Edit: Come to think of it, there aren't that many good RM villains, are there?
The thing is, think of good commercial villains and again, not many spring to mind. I mean, there's Luca Blight, Orochi, Kefka and maybe a handful of other truly good, memorable villains out there.

It's not just an RM thing. Game creators tend to stick with tropes.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My theory is that in a movie, it's a lot easier to have a good villain because you can easily give them almost as much screen time as the hero. Or, at least, you can give them as much screen time as they need.

In a video game I think the villain's screen time is just inherently extremely limited. If the villain is standing in front of the hero, they're either fighting or about to be fighting, right? It's stupid for them to just walk away without fighting, and you can only get away with fighting the same enemy without killing them so many times before it gets stupid. If you show the villain's point of view in a bunch of cut scenes, the player gets annoyed that the game has too many cut scenes and not enough gameplay.

The games that have memorable villains for me are the ones where the villains are playable, because that gets around this problem. Seifer, Delita, Jowy, Sephiroth, Magus, and even Bowser in Super Mario RPG all feel extremely real to me, compared to typical video game villains. Their playability lets them get an amount of screentime usually reserved for protagonists.

So as far as RMN games, the characters in Alter A.I.L.A. are definitely villains that I enjoyed. Being able to play through all three sides made me appreciate the characters a lot more.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Kaliesto
Been meaning to ask Tau. Does that happen to be you in that profile picture? Sorta off-topic, but might as well ask now >.>
~Someone's got a secret admirer. Ooooh~ :3
*shivers*

As far as RPG Maker game villains go, nothing really sticks out to me as most are your typical "taking over the world because this story needs a living antagonist", or they're OP as shit and should otherwise be insurmountable (unless you've got the power of hope and friendship *dry heave*).

I guess what I'm looking for in a villain is someone who truly feels human (even if they're a beastman) and, instead of having endless magical faculties, uses a silver tongue and a clear mind to meet their needs. Frankly, the straight-up insane villain doesn't really cut it with me and I require something more akin to what would happen in the real world (person has some sort of chemical imbalance that numbs the feeling of guilt). They can also have a fair amount of coinage to throw around, like Batman. So yeah, essentially a villainous Batman.

Recommended reading, even if it's not as good as my other article.
author=LockeZ
If you show the villain's point of view in a bunch of cut scenes, the player gets annoyed that the game has too many cut scenes and not enough gameplay.

I think most people only get annoyed with cutscenes when they're really crappy/boring (like Okamiden's) or when they're being spammed every 3 minutes to point out obvious things to you. Unless "a bunch of" is a lot more than I'm thinking it is, it shouldn't really be too terrible a thing to show what the villain's up to/thinking every now and then.

Anyways, I barely make time to play commercial games of any real length, so I haven't even touched too many RMN games. The ones I have I haven't even made it far enough to know who the villain is. (Does Lunar Wish even have a villain? I'm quite a few hours into that one and I don't even know what the plot is other than random shenanigans.)
author=Corfaisus
author=Kaliesto
~Someone's got a secret admirer. Ooooh~:3
*shivers*

As far as RPG Maker game villains go, nothing really sticks out to me as most are your typical "taking over the world because this story needs a living antagonist", or they're OP as shit and should otherwise be insurmountable (unless you've got the power of hope and friendship *dry heave*).

I guess what I'm looking for in a villain is someone who truly feels human (even if they're a beastman) and, instead of having endless magical faculties, uses a silver tongue and a clear mind to meet their needs. Frankly, the straight-up insane villain doesn't really cut it with me and I require something more akin to what would happen in the real world (person has some sort of chemical imbalance that numbs the feeling of guilt). They can also have a fair amount of coinage to throw around, like Batman. So yeah, essentially a villainous Batman.

Recommended reading, even if it's not as good as my other article.

I could understand that. the typical villain does get pretty boring, and rarely I find a villain that's actually pretty well written.

Also Tau is a dude, profile said so lol. I'm guessing that's a model he likes or his gf. I just thought she was pretty cool looking is all. This is so awkward now. <_< >_>
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Whenever I write a protagonist vs. antagonist story, I start with the villain. What makes the villain a villain, why did the villain decide to be a villain, what is the villain's big complaint in life, and how does the villain decide deal with his or her problems? The villain has a background, a history, I know who my villain is, and in my mind, I've known my villain since he or she wasn't a villain at all, and I even helped him or her pick out his or her first minions.

Finally, the day comes when I decide that this person must be stopped, and then I start to create the hero. Create a game like that. Go ahead: give the hero all of the screen time. It doesn't matter, the villain will have a soul, an identity, a reason for being, and in the hands of a good writer, the power to terrify.
author=kentona
shmup
author=LockeZ
Those guys were definitely RMN villains.
author=Pizza
Oh, god

EEEEEEVIIIIIL

Hey, I used to be part of shmup for a little while back in the day! Some of the members on there weren't too bad and couldn't even hurt a fly (well, except for maybe TFT and Magi, lol; THOSE guys were the evil ones.)

Oh, this topic is about RM villains, eh? Well…other than maybe Shadar, I really can’t list any other famous RM villains that are truly renowned or have captivated to me on a grand scale of things more so than other more commercial game antagonists such as those already mentioned before. Like Liberty said, most developers here tend to either play it safe or not nearly spend as much time developing and showcasing their villains as they often do with their own main characters and the rest of their game, which is quite unfortunate, considering you would think we would have more with all the many different types of games we’ve had on here over the years. In fact, I think I can list more anti-heroes, like Pom from Pom Gets Wi-Fi and Suzy from Suzy And Freedom more than actual full blooded villains. I have no problem with this, but since they are the main characters that you control from start to finish, I tend to still list these guys in the “protagonist” sort of role more so.

Thinking about it some more, okay, there’s Malacore from Final Fantasy Blackmoon Prophecy, but he’s more of an Ex-Death sort of clone until the very end when he does something very noble that made me think less of him as an actual villain and more so of a misunderstood tragedy. There’s also Eli from Super RMN World, but he’s only really noteworthy during that final fight and doesn’t really taunt and goat you as much as most traditional villains like to do. He’s a good villain, but he’s reminds me more of something like one of those comical villains from the Mario & Luigi: Superstar RPG Saga and is really just there to be, um, there. Even Romancing Walker, my favorite RM game of all time, had something called CHAOS as the final baddie, but he’s rarely mentioned and the final fight with him is a bit anti-climactic more than anything else.

I suppose there might be some other good RM villains out there, waiting to be discovered, but I guess we’ll have to keep searching to find those nasties or do a much better job at presenting them.
Pages: first 12 next last