I'M ABOUT TO LOSE MY MIND WITH THIS DAMN INSTANT WARP IN SMBX

Pages: 1
No matter what I do, I cannot make the character stop teleporting back and forth if he is standing on top of the instant warp box. It's getting pretty close to the deadline for the zelda event, and I cannot seem to fix this.

I tried every combination of left/right warp moving on the warp tab box. Nothing seems to be working! If I just make one instant warp box, he will only go to that area, but not back again. If I make another instant warp on top of that warp box he will just get teleported back and forth from the two areas.

I feel like I'm going to have to be forced to make a awkward warp by making link appear one step ahead of the new area which doesn't make a good game design honestly.
that is what your are going to have to do,. Instant warp tiles work on touch.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Here:

| |
MAP A | | MAP B
| |
_________32| |14_________

There are two warps here. 1 is a one-way instant warp that leads to 3, and 2 is a one-way instant warp that leads to 4. Notice that 1 and 2 are adjacent to the edges of the maps but 3 and 4 are one tile further in.

Alternate solution: don't use multiple rooms? Why aren't maps A and B just the same map?
Yeah I figured I would have to do that in the end. I always felt that one tile further in into the next map was really awkward, but looks like I will have to do that.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
For what it's worth, the original Mario and Zelda 2 games, and every SMBX game I've seen, handle this by never having teleports at the edge of the screen in the first place. They either use vertical exits, use doors/pipes, or combine the maps into one map.
Since this topic is directly about SMBX. I'm having trouble getting the boss to animate since it would show the sprite, but also the top half of the other sprite. I tried to set the frame to 4, but didn't work correctly.

l'll upload the files to show what I have so far:

So far it's rendered in the game correctly except it's not animating. It's just repeating broken frames. I tried to do this with Gyorg's fish ammo by replacing a fish enemy, and did the same thing.
Set the height and width, and the gfxheigh and gfxwidth. Some NPCs simply cannot be changed in every way. You can find out by renaming it to a different NPC to see if it displays correctly. There are some that will accept any change like the basic goomba.
Yes! Successful! I got the boss to operate properly, but I'm going to replace a bowser sprite. I managed to get him to float in midair as well, and replaced his firebreath attack with Fish-ammo. Seeing as there is no fire-breathing enemies in my temple. I'm thinking of replacing the hammers with spikes coming out of his back.

Also is it possible to replace sounds? I was attempting to replace the birdo-damage, and bowser dying sound with what I got, but looks like it isn't working.

Bet that guy at spriter's resource is going to be happy that his boss will be finally be used for something. :)
You have to include a copy of the entire engine with your game download, and you go into the default sounds folder and replace them there. Rename your custom sound to replace one of the existing ones. Same with music.
Actually I managed to figure out in the custom-music box you have to set a path to the folder, and then put a "/", and THEN type in the music name. I got it to work finally.

Btw by replace I meant custom stuff as I'm not really trying to replace any of the original sounds, and music. Sorry I should have made myself more clear.
Pages: 1