RPG MAKER 2003 QUESTION OF LEGALITIES

Pages: first 1234 next last
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I'd like to know something. I know the translated (older) version of RPG Maker 2003 is an illegal version, but is it illegal to actually say sell games with it, that have 100 percent original content?

I don't plan to make a game, I am working on a digital manga with a Japanese artist, and we wanted to work RPG Maker 2003 around to make an .exe manga reader for the manga itself, thus selling them the art itself, that happens to use RPG MAKER as the means to view it on.

Is this at all illegal? The only thing they'd own is the program, not any of the actual resources.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I think it's safe to say that anything made to sell using the translated version, no matter how much original content you use, is totally illegal. If you had a legit copy of the untranslated 2k3 on the other hand, you're probably safe then.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you buy the engine, in any language, you get a license to sell any games made in it. Enterbrain still sells RM2K3 on their Japanese website.

If you don't buy the engine, then no, you can't distribute games that use it.

The "YOU CANNOT USE THE ENGLISH PATCH OR DYNRPG OR ANYTHING THAT CHANGES THE ENGINE AT ALLLLLL" thing is a myth, though. I understand why people think that, but Enterbrain allows people to use that stuff.
Thiamor
Would it be legal to use 20XX for such a cause?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You would probably need to ask Wolfcoder about that one. 20XX is GNU GPL freeware, so you can definitely use it, but I'm not sure if selling software made in it is a violation of the free distribution license.
Thiamor
I'm sure Wolfcoder would know if it's in violation of that.
Also question that's a tad bit off topic, but I know you can make password protected folders, but is it possible to make a program's RTP folder password protected from those who use the program?

I know you can encrypt files, but people can still find those, but if one could also add a password to them, then it'd be harder to use them.
If you have a homemade engine (20XX qualifies), the only legality consideration is making sure it's okay with the author. That said, 20XX I never managed to get working.
author=LockeZ
If you buy the engine, in any language, you get a license to sell any games made in it. Enterbrain still sells RM2K3 on their Japanese website.

The "YOU CANNOT USE THE ENGLISH PATCH OR DYNRPG OR ANYTHING THAT CHANGES THE ENGINE AT ALLLLLL" thing is a myth, though. I understand why people think that, but Enterbrain allows people to use that stuff.

In all fairness, some of the people at RMW that said it would not be legal. But they represent Degica not EB, and who knows what EB will allow or not?

But then again, there's also this:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/25781-using-old-rtp-for-commercial-products/

Basically, somebody was asking about converting resources from older RPG Makers into VX/Ace format for a commercial project, assuming the older engines are legally purchased (aka, the console RM's and RM2K and 2K3). Most notable are these three comments:

from Shaz, asking about purchasing from Japan
Does it sell ONLY to a Japanese audience though? I know it was nearly impossible to get VX Ace when it was originally released in Japanese, unless you lived in Japan or were able to get it delivered to a Japanese mailing address.

from the OP in response
Depends on the vendor, really. Amazon.co.jp does international shipping.

Another curiosity, that site does offer 2000 and 2003 RTP for download, along with patches for older software, but no way to buy most of it

from Archeia
I recommend to wait for the Official RTP conversion for any legal usage of the older RTP works. (that's usually my job)

Not sure what to make of that, and I really didn't care enough to ask at the time since I'm not designing a commercial game, but that really does make it sound as if you purchased a legal Japanese copy of an older RPG Maker, you're not allowed to convert it and use it in VX or Ace, and that you'll be obligated to purchase the "legal" conversions to avoid legal trouble.

I have a hard time believing that EB would care if you use RM2K/3 resources in VX Ace, as long as you legally own both, anymore than I think they would care about using a plug-in program patch that essentially does what scripts do in newer version, but Degica's staff seem to think differently.

This might be a stupid question, but how exactly can anyone know whether a game I made in 2k3 was with the legal purchased version or a pirate copy?
Thiamor
I wondered the same thing, but I wouldn't want to chance it, and underestimate the company who created it.

Since I have a fairly good chance at getting Smosh and Pewdiepie to promote the manga, if they could tell, they'd easily see my stuff.
Well, the fact that 2k3 is no longer sold is a huge clue. 2k is still being sold in Japan, but you cannot purchase 2k3 - it's been pulled from shelves. So... yeah, 2k3 is out, sadly.

Now, as for 2k... I'd highly recommend waiting before trying to purchase the Japanese version. There have been whispers... Not only that, it's very difficult for anyone not living in Japan to actually buy the game so chances are you're not gonna have much luck there unless you have contacts.

As for being able to tell what engine something is from, it's quite easy to look at certain bits and pieces like error messages (which show up in Japanese) or the actual RTP names - again, which - if bought legally - show up only in Japanese. And the ini files, and the encoding on certain other files... yeah, for those who know where to look, it's discernible.

If you do own 2K and Ace legally, you can, in theory, move the graphics over. It would take a lot of work to get the autotiles working 100% since they're very different in layout to the 2K RTP default. It would be legal. Of course, you'd also have to prove you own the 2K license every time that someone asks about it so...

As for why they'd still have the RTP downloads available... well, it's for the same reason they allow people to download the Ace/VX ones as well - for those instances when people forgot to include the RTP with a game. The license is very specific about RTP usage.
- You may use the RTP in a game within a legally owned engine,
- You can edit as you will but must not sell the RTP with the intent of selling the graphics,
- You may only use the RTP files to create a game if you've bought the engine they're from, otherwise, you may use them to play games with but not to use in your own game creation.
- You may only use the RTP of an engine in that engine or others that you have legal rights to (thus, XP RTP can be used in Ace only if you own both Ace and XP engines)

It's pretty self-explanatory, really.
LockeZ
Hmm. RPG Maker 2000 is now listed as "out of stock" on Enterbrain's Japanese website. You can buy it from a third-party vendor like Amazon though. Just need to find one who's selling it. (Good luck?)

However, Enterbrain is run by humans who make a living selling software, not terms-of-service-enforcement lawbots. I have a feeling that if you emailed them and were like "Hey I want to buy the old version of this software instead of stealing it like everyone else does, and then I want to use it in exactly the same way you're letting people use the newer versions" they'd be like "Cool, send us money."
The word on the street is that they want 2k3 dead and forgotten forever. They've even hired a hit, or so the rumours say...
LockeZ
Yeah, but what their execs want and what their customer service department will give you aren't always the same thing.
author=LockeZ
Hmm. RPG Maker 2000 is now listed as "out of stock" on Enterbrain's Japanese website. You can buy it from a third-party vendor like Amazon though. Just need to find one who's selling it. (Good luck?)

However, Enterbrain is run by humans who make a living selling software, not terms-of-service-enforcement lawbots. I have a feeling that if you emailed them and were like "Hey I want to buy the old version of this software instead of stealing it like everyone else does, and then I want to use it in exactly the same way you're letting people use the newer versions" they'd be like "Cool, send us money."

You'd think, but they really don't give a shit. Just like if you offer to pay to use their graphics in other engines.
Yeah... that they don't like. There are certain packs that will allow you to buy a license for outside of RM engines, but not many (and mainly, I believe, because they're made by artists who don't mind their work being used as long as it's paid for).

author=LockeZ

http://tkool.degica.com/dl#tabs-4
author=Liberty
Now, as for 2k... I'd highly recommend waiting before trying to purchase the Japanese version. There have been whispers...

And just like that, I'm reeled right back in.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=LockeZ

Source?

I can almost guarantee you that that is not in fact a myth. All of the modern RMs explicitly forbid messing with the engine whatsoever. It's a pretty standard clause in EULAs and is probably present in 2k3 as well.
Pages: first 1234 next last