IMAGES ON GAMEPAGES

Pages: 1
Why is it that 50% of some gamepages aren't screenshots, but rather stuff like "posters" or images of characters? Personally I'm not really interested in seeing stuff that isn't even going to be anywhere in the game.

These kinds of images have really been increasing in quantity lately, and personally to me it just feels like people wanting to show off their drawing skills rather than the images having much to do with the game.

Does anyone agree with me here? Is it a good thing to feature artwork on the gamepage or not?
I'm mostly talking about the images section here, I'm fine with making a new tab for artwork, since I can just ignore that if I'm not interested.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I think it's perfectly fine to feature artwork on the gamepage, as long as you don't go overboard.

My definition of overboard: More art than game info.

Personally, I'd be fine with art as long as there's a separate page for it. Putting it front and center in the summary is kinda annoying since I'm trying to learn more about the game. If you put giant character portraits where the game description should be, then that tells me you don't have much to offer in the game department.

EDIT: If you're talking about SCREENSHOTS, then yes. I wholeheartedly agree.
It doesn't bother me. But the way I see it the Images section is for screenshots.
Artwork can go in the media section or a custom page.
I think I've read about new rule regarding adding arts into images@ screenshots section which will cause the game approval being denied. Due to respecting this new rule, I avoid adding any arts or images as screenshot. But anyway, even with this rule,

I bet these people still can change the original screenshots to images or arts once their game accepted. Yeah, I got to agree with you. it grows lately & it seems showing off beautiful arts as screenshots is an undeniable eye catching treat to gain fast votes/supports rather than the showing off the premise of the game play itself.
The rule was about adding art to your game page in general without also adding credit for that art. That means whether it's in the screenshot or media or description. It's solely about accrediting art.

Personally I put most art in a media page for my own projects, but I will add some art to the screenshot section because, well, why not?
author=Liberty
The rule was about adding art to your game page in general without also adding credit for that art. That means whether it's in the screenshot or media or description. It's solely about accrediting art.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for clearing up about the rule!

SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

@mightydarkchocolate
After your game page is accepted you can pretty much do whatever you want with it. So you can just add all the images after Decklicker has already approved it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
IMO, if an image in your screenshots section isn't a screenshot, you should be launched into the sun. That is all.

kory_toombs is partially correct in that as long as you have three actual screenshots, your game won't be denied because it also has not-screenshots. However, the idea that once your game is accepted you can do whatever you want is wrong. Games can be un-approved if they stop meeting the RMN standards.
author=LockeZ
IMO, if an image in your screenshots section isn't a screenshot, you should be launched into the sun. That is all.

While I agree that the images in the "Images" section should be screenshots, or at least something that is in the game like a portrait, the name of the tab isn't "Screenshots", which is why I think alot of people put whatever image they can that is even remotely related to their games in that section.

I guess a renaming of this tab would do alot to rectify this, and it might make people actually use the "Media" tab, since right now it's rarely used.
It's a lot like video game advertisements using live action film or other non in-game footage. I don't UNDERSTAND it.

The one thing I do get, though, is having an image that you'll use for your thumbnail being something different since you'd want something that still functions as eye-catching while being partially covered by the title. As much flack as Konstandtin got, the original thumbnail that said something like "Don't be shy--give it a try!" stood out on the front page, and paired with that character portrait it showed that the artist was solid.
Art's cool. What bothers me is when screenshots capture the entire window so you get the "Alex's Awesome Adventure" titlebar or the entire internal resolution of VX/Ace games with the black borders around it. I'm kinda curious what people do to capture that because I just pop open irfanview, turn on capture mode, and hit my capture button (ctrl+F11) and take perfect screenshots every time without any of that stuff.
author=LockeZ

kory_toombs is partially correct in that as long as you have three actual screenshots, your game won't be denied because it also has not-screenshots. However, the idea that once your game is accepted you can do whatever you want is wrong. Games can be un-approved if they stop meeting the RMN standards.

3 actual Screenshots (must)+ non-screenshot (image) is fine but don't go overboard + do whatever you want but still keep the standard = game safe! Now, everything is pretty clear for newbie like me! XD
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Art's cool. What bothers me is when screenshots capture the entire window so you get the "Alex's Awesome Adventure" titlebar or the entire internal resolution of VX/Ace games with the black borders around it. I'm kinda curious what people do to capture that because I just pop open irfanview, turn on capture mode, and hit my capture button (ctrl+F11) and take perfect screenshots every time without any of that stuff.

They just hit the Print Scrn button on their keyboard, and then open MS Paint and paste the captured image. If you're lucky they'll attempt to crop it by hand to at least remove their taskbar and desktop.
Sorry, I meant with the giant black border around VX/Ace screenshots that's probably part of its internal screen buffer. It's not there if you just snip the screen, is there some wacky program that grabs the buffer or something?
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=Housekeeping
It's a lot like video game advertisements using live action film or other non in-game footage. I don't UNDERSTAND it.

I think it's cos it makes people more hyped to play the game. In practice, you'd have 100% in-game screenshots, but if your game isn't extremely visually exciting, that isn't going to cut it for some people. So you make up for it by including some exciting non-screenshots and videos of non-gameplay to beef it up.

I'm not saying it's *right* per se, but I don't think it's wrong. Just don't overdo it.

That said, some awesome trailers (Gears of War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution) have no gameplay in them and yet they're awesome trailers for awesome games. So it can go either way.
author=GreatRedSpirit
Sorry, I meant with the giant black border around VX/Ace screenshots that's probably part of its internal screen buffer. It's not there if you just snip the screen, is there some wacky program that grabs the buffer or something?
In full screen mode, some video cards can't go down to 544x416 and go to 640x480. The blackness is the space between 544 and 640 when they press prntscr.

The Images section is showcased more on RMN than any other element of gameprofiles (save perhaps the game itself). What I should do is give more control to the game profile to designate images as "screenshots" "concept art" "banner" etc and then allow them to determine whether or not to display the image in the Images tab and also whether or not to allow the image to be selected for latest images/random images etc
Or redesign media pages based on what kind of media is being shown. So, image sets could be one media page and set up like the images tab, while another would be like a playlist of videos (like, video viewer that auto-plays the next linked video) and another would be like a comment/allow bbc code and writing.
I like the idea of tagging images as "screenshots", "concept-art", etc. but only if this also neatly arranges them in their own section within the images tab. Otherwise, what's the point? The complain here is that people does't want to browse through a bunch of non in-game images to take a look at the actual game screenshots, so simply differentiating them wouldn't be useful enough.

Preferably, I would like if custom pages were a bit more user-friendly. For example, I put my art in a custom page, but I have to make my own thumbnails and mess around with links and bb codes to display them neatly. But it would be great if I could just create a custom page that worked identical to the images section, so I could just upload images directly from my hard-drive. =)
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I think overall it's not extremely bothersome, but 99% of the time I'd much rather see in-game screenshots than game art. Mainly for the fact that I want to give my opinions or know more about the game.
Because in the end, the characters are rarely going to look like they do in the fluff art.
Pages: 1