THE BANNED GAME & THE BANNED GAME DEVELOPER.

Pages: first 12 next last
First of all, if this topic has been discussed or this is a wrong place to post it, forgive me. There is something that bothers me for awhile.

First is about the banned game due to violations of rules or doesn't meet the standard resulting it to gone 'missing' from the game page. Is it possible these games will be accepted back, in case the game author try to resubmit them to the site?

Second, if the author @ game maker got banned, what will happen to their games? I mean the ones that still in development section. I am pretty sure they cannot access this site through the banned account anymore so it's not possible for them to do update to the games, making the games seems...Well, 'permanently' dead. It because, I saw few games in development but the author had been labeled ''your banne.'' which make me wonders why their game page still active.
The topic's in the right place I think.

Hm, I'm not sure I get your question. If you're talking about a creator intentionally doing something to their game page to make it unacceptable, it'll stay that way until the game page is reported/spotted by a mod or kentona. After it's spotted it'll probably be torn off the site. I'm sure if the creator fixed the game page they'd be allowed to resubmit assuming they're not banned.

The game pages linger on RMN even after someone has been banned. Oh and most bans don't last forever anyway, so it's still not a death sentence for the game. Even if the game is effectively dead, it will remain on RMN for posterity.

Posterity also happens to be why some game pages you come across will be labeled cancelled.
Gourd is correct, except in special cases, games are left on the site as they were before their creator was banned. When someone is banned, it isn't forever unless they broke the Big Rule (that is, threatening the site/members with violence). There may be some other cases (for example, spam-bots) but in most cases, after 3+ months they're free to come back, their page is waiting for them and yeah...
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

This sounds reasonable since if you created a game with someone else or a team... Would you rip the game page down just because one person in that development team got banned.

If a rule like this was implemented then just one person who made one of those Mario games would need to be banned for the whole game to be removed.

Hey, I thought of another question.

If you made two games that were nominated for the same misaos award (In the same year), and they tied, would you be considered to have two misaos awards?
...only if the lead developer was banned and a complete dick... otherwise it'd stay as it was. As it stands you can't touch the game page at all if you're banned so removing the game isn't possible that way unless you actively plan to get banned and remove it before-hand. The rest of the people on the game can still work on it and update the page.
Bans are not (normally) for forever, so I don't make it a point to take down the games of banned members. Sometimes the banned party will email me requesting to take down their game, and I comply with that request.

The moral of the story is don't get banned.

E:
whoa big typo.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Damn it, and I really wanted to get banned... :(

(Kidding.)
I can appreciate that CC was just fearful enough of kentona actually doing it that he made clear he was kidding. Hahaha~
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah I had to make sure because next thing I can't log in and I'll be all like

Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Gourd_Clae
I can appreciate that CC was just fearful enough of kentona actually doing it that he made clear he was kidding. Hahaha~

lol. The last thing you want to do is piss off Kentona. I, for one, have seen him pissed, and it's not a pretty sight.
I've brought this subject before. Actually, I think the game should be taken down after the ban, or automatically after a set period of time. Or at least allow banned users to have limited control over their accounts (either to delete the game themselves or to keep managing their game pages with the staff's approval). Having to send an e-mail to have their stuff taken down seems unfair. It's their stuff. They should have the right to decide what will be of it without having to jump through any hoops.

Besides, is a game truly deleted or is simply hidden behind a coat of anti-climbing paint? Because if it's later, that too seems unfair. xP
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I think you lose the right to be treated "fairly" the moment you break major forum rules and get banned. If someone REALLY wants their game page taken down, they would be willing to take the extra effort to e-mail Kentona asking for it to be removed.

But just because the developer got banned, the rest of us shouldn't be punished by not being able to play the game.

Perhaps there should be a new status added to a game page called Banned to let us know if the developer has been banned or not. That way, we could avoid subscribing to something that obviously won't be worked on at the site. Then again, that could only work for single developer games.

But Kentona is right. This whole mess can be avoided as long as you don't get banned.
And what of those projects with more than one creator? Should both parties be punished for something only one of them did?

I prefer the games are left up after a banning, except in the case of a project that doesn't meet site standards. There's no need to be petty about it and we shouldn't punish players for a shitty creator, just as we don't punish creators for shitty reviewers/players/etc
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Of course not. As I said, that suggestion would only work for single-developer games. An alternate suggestion would be adding a "your banne" on their name.

But I agree that the pages themselves and any downloads available shouldn't be touched unless the developer e-mails Kentona asking for it to be taken down.
You should never lose the "right" to be treated fairly. What's the name of this game? "An eye for an eye"? You should probably know how that phrase usually follows... Also, not being able to play a game is not a "punishment". I'm kind of baffled at that notion. I mean. we say we're coming to a new understanding of things. We're talking about giving people proper accreditation, about asking them for their permission before doing anything - Ah! But if you're a dick we're entitled to your stuff by default... Yeah. :|

...I understand if the site doesn't currently work this way. But we should really think about this and work towards a better solution in the future. Let me reiterate that I really dislike that e-mail option. I'm sorry for the analogy, but that's like holding a game page hostage and demanding a ransom to have it released. So how about ticking a box in your account settings stating what would you like to happen to your stuff in the event of you getting banned or perhaps even if you have stayed inactive for a long period of time.

@Liberty: Even games with more than one lead developers only have ONE true lead developer: The person that made the game-page. If this person ends up banned, then yes, it would be natural to have the game page deleted. Alternatively, the co-lead developer could inherit the page, or in its defect, I don't think anything stops that person from re-creating the game page.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=alterego
You should never lose the "right" to be treated fairly. What's the name of this game? "An eye for an eye"? You should probably know how that phrase usually follows... Also, not being able to play a game is not a "punishment". I'm kind of baffled at that notion. I mean. we say we're coming to a new understanding of things. We're talking about giving people proper accreditation, about asking them for their permission before doing anything - Ah! But if you're a dick we're entitled to your stuff by default... Yeah. :|

I'm not understanding the assumption that, if someone is banned, their preference will be immediately to have their game taken down. If I was banned, I'd want my game to stay up so people could still play it. In fact, immediately deleting the game seems like a worse fate.

And how is "having to send an email and wait a while" a "ransom?" What's being ransomed? That you have to ask someone politely for something? It still gives the banned an option. I don't think hastily deleting gamepages is any sort of sensible alternative.

author=alterego
@Liberty: Even games with more than one lead developers only have ONE true lead developer: The person that made the game-page. If this person ends up banned, then yes, it would be natural to have the game page deleted. Alternatively, the co-lead developer could inherit the page, or in its defect, I don't think anything stops that person from re-creating the game page.

You really think there's no such thing as a fifty-fifty partnership in making a game? Or that maybe the person actually doing all the work wouldn't delegate someone else to put together the Game Page?
Recreating the game page, losing all the comments, reviews and media that others have posted on it in the past. Yeah, I think that's so totally fair...

And no, people won't just repost their comments/reviews/media etc. They'd have to know about it to do so and, wow, the game page is gone so unless the 'other person' took notes on who did what they won't remember who to contact and those who added them in the first place won't know they're gone because, hey, subscription loss!

And yeah, poor subscribers... a game they were interested in suddenly gone. I mean, I don't know about you but I subscribe to games that I want to play eventually. Even if I don't hear from them for a while. So when the banned party does return (and they do sometimes - Addit is an example) and have to resubmit their game, then they have lost all the subscribers, who have no idea that the game is gone from their subscription lists and thus are missing out on notices from a game they were watching for a reason.

It's not fair for either side. I mean, dicks do get better - it's happened in the past and it'll happen again. Leaving their games up doesn't cause an issue at all so why bother deleting them at all? They're just going to make a new game page when they come back and feel even more annoyed for having to do so - which leaves to less chance of pulling heads out of asses and instead makes it more likely that they'll pull shit again because people are weird like that.

Not to mention the confusion by the members when a game they thought already was on the site suddenly reappears... which leads to questions and possible re-dragging up of the past. Thus drama. And we all know how people love drama... >.<

Lastly, to me RMN is a site for hosting games. We have standards, yes, but we host games - it's the core of the site. So taking down games that have met our standards is just counter-intuitive.
Red_Nova
You should never lose the "right" to be treated fairly. What's the name of this game? "An eye for an eye"? You should probably know how that phrase usually follows... Also, not being able to play a game is not a "punishment". I'm kind of baffled at that notion.

Imagine this scenario for a second: Some guy has a good, completed horror game here on RMN, but got banned and his game page taken down. Fast forward a couple of months later, a user who had no idea what happened was browsing through RMN looking for a horror game to play. He would never be able to find it because the game page got taken down. But the game was still in development somewhere else. But because he missed his chance here, he might never be able to play it.

It's that random user that I'm claiming we're punishing by forcing the game page to be removed. It's not fair at all.

I mean. we say we're coming to a new understanding of things. We're talking about giving people proper accreditation, about asking them for their permission before doing anything - Ah! But if you're a dick we're entitled to your stuff by default... Yeah. :|

That is a terrible comparison to make. There is a HUGE difference between taking something without crediting it and leaving something you willingly posted here after you got banned.

...I understand if the site doesn't currently work this way. But we should really think about this and work towards a better solution in the future. Let me reiterate that I really dislike that e-mail option. I'm sorry for the analogy, but that's like holding a game page hostage and demanding a ransom to have it released.

And it's my opinion that no one should have to bend over backwards for someone who got banned. I'm pretty sure most of us have seen how many warnings are given before an actual ban occurs. By the time someone is banned, it's pretty clear they have no intention of acting appropriately. So there's no point in trying to make any extra effort to make them feel like they've been treated fairly. It's not an eye for an eye so much as it is spoiling a child.

If you got banned, but are too lazy to send one e-mail, you don't get to cry foul. There is nothing unfair about that.
I mean. we say we're coming to a new understanding of things. We're talking about giving people proper accreditation, about asking them for their permission before doing anything - Ah! But if you're a dick we're entitled to your stuff by default... Yeah. :|

Yeah, except that if we're asked to we do take games down. We've had a few cases of it in the past (most prefer to leave the games up because, hey, coverage) but those who have asked had their games removed. Because we don't assume they just want their game gone.

Also, that example doesn't work at all - they are accredited since their name is still all over the game. It's their game. No-one else is claiming it as theirs - not by any means. We're not holding it hostage at all - they're free to say "Take it down" at any time and it'll happen. If they don't, well, that's their choice.

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It takes quite a bit around these parts to be banned in the first place, especially if it's permanently.
It's awesome that game pages stay up, because it would be childish to delete it because of some wrong doing, unless it was just an awful attack/harassment or a death threat.

But just think, what's more punishing than to try and link your game and players see that your account is banned. That's not a good sign, unless you don't care about it.

Pages: first 12 next last