GAMES YOU LOVE BUT EVERYONE HATES.

Pages: first 1234 next last
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
There are good games. There are bad games. There are games that had wonderful potential but squandered it. And there are games that you enjoy for some reason even though, by all rights, you should hate them because of how terrible they were developed. This is a topic about the latter.

For me, a game I strangely enjoy is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. Yes, the A.I is terrible. Yes, the story is stupid. Yes, the characters were all HUNK wannabees. Yes, the Spec Ops fights were garbage. Yes, the set pieces were terrible. By all rights, I should have played it for about ten minutes then traded it in.

But I noticed when I was fighting zombies that I was, I can't believe I'm saying this, actually having fun! With hundreds of zombies, limited ammo, and a risk of becoming a zombie yourself with every hit you take, I really felt like I was in a survival situation where I had to pick my shots and use all my abilities to the fullest to escape with my life. When I went online and played with a friend, he had the exact same response.

And then we played online multiplayer, and we were still having fun. I guess bad enemy A.I really bogged down the offline campaign, because when we were playing against actual humans, it was loads of fun!

Honestly, if Operation Raccoon City was JUST about shooting zombies, I would have given the game an 8/10, with the terrible A.I bogging it down two pegs. The Spec Ops fights, unfortunately, brought the game down to a 4/10 for me.

I see what Slant Six was TRYING to do. The concept was absolutely brilliant, and the mechanics were very well implemented, like shooting a soldier in the stomach to make him bleed so the hordes of zombies would go after the enemy and not you. But too many little details ruined the overall game for me. Yet, for some reason, I keep coming back for more. I keep playing the missions where you only fight zombies, and I'm still having fun, despite constant taunts from my other gamer friends.

So what about you? What's a game you enjoy even though you shouldn't?
Cardinal Syn. I don't think I "shouldn't" have liked it, I just don't get why everyone panned it and thought it sucked. I had a genuinely good time with it, especially in versus mode against friends.

@Red_Nova
That's curious, That's the exact game I was thinking
when I read this title...

I haven't play it thought...

I did play SW Jedi Academy.
I like it mainly because of the mods.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=UPRC
Cardinal Syn. I don't think I "shouldn't" have liked it, I just don't get why everyone panned it and thought it sucked. I had a genuinely good time with it, especially in versus mode against friends.

I watched about ten minutes of that, and I can definitely say that I would understand why some people would think it sucks. But, kinda like ORC, the concept of this game is pretty cool. And you can make anything more fun with friends. I would be willing to give it a try.

author=JJJ7
@Red_Nova
That's curious, That's the exact game I was thinking
when I read this title...

I haven't play it thought...

That's funny. Anyway, I would recommend a rent at least. But that would kinda defeat the purpose of this topic, now wouldn't it?

I did play SW Jedi Academy.
I like it mainly because of the mods.

Strange. I looked that up, and Jedi Academy actually got really high ratings. But if you didn't really like it...

Maybe I should make an opposite topic, huh? Games you hate but everyone likes?
author=Red_Nova
Strange. I looked that up, and Jedi Academy actually got really high ratings. But if you didn't really like it...
Maybe I should make an opposite topic, huh? Games you hate but everyone likes?

No! No!
I really like the game,
But it seems people liked Jedi Oudcast more than that particular game.
Some of them hate it...apparently...

I do hate King's Bounty, the new ones, not the classic.
SaGa Frontier. It was universally panned when it came out. Everybody I knew personally was saying "I rented it and it sucked". Maybe it was riding too close to FF7's coattails.
Granted, it has a cult fanbase now.

But then there's SaGa Frontier 2 :D That one's just straight up universally panned except by me.
Agree with Dyhalto, in fact, I came in here to say; the SaGa series is my jam, yo. It's flawed as hell, but its one of those imperfect masterpieces, where a lot of creativity was applied to the gameplay and to the setting and world. It was pretty panned when it first came out, but more and more people are appreciating it over time.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, it's easy to list cult favorites that no one liked at the time, like Legend of Mana or SaGa Frontier. The reason games like that became more popular after years passed is because they had terrible instructions but incredible depth.

Filtering out cult favorites to just list unpopular games is harder. What counts as "unpopular"? Most people think the Etrian Odyssey games are really boring, but most people think that of dungeon crawlers in general. Being an excellent specimen of a genre that everyone hates doesn't seem like it should count.

X-Com: Apocalypse and Breath of Fire 5 are two games that people disliked because they departed majorly from the earlier games in their respective series, and also because they were really unusual games in general, but I really liked both of them. X-Com: Apocalypse is a tactical RPG where the party management and job tree stuff you'd expect from the between-battle gameplay is replaced by Civilization/Warcraft style strategy game stuff. All the X-Com games are sort of like that, but Apocalypse had deeper combat, and had you managing the politics and finances and construction and defenses of a city full of warring corporations on top of everything else. Breath of Fire 5 is a game that everyone knows about by now - it's the "Shit Outta Luck: Restart" game where you can choose not to use some of your XP in order to be able to start the game with it next time you restart, and you can use dragon form like 5 times total in the entire 30 hour game.

I actually really liked the roguelike mode in Ergheiz, a PSX fighting game that had Cloud/Tifa/Yuffie/Sephiroth as characters, but then randomly also had a second game mode that was a straight up old school roguelike starring two of the characters from the fighting game. Randomized 100 floor dungeon with permadeath and everything, it was great. You could play as either of the two characters, but if you died, you had to play as the other one to retrieve the first one's body in order to revive them. If the second character died too you had to start over. This created a really interesting system that rewarded you for trying to go through the dungeon with both characters.
Red_Nova
I was talking about games that just aren't well made. Etrian Odyssey and rougelike games aren't exactly popular, true, but they are well made games. (At least the ones I've played). Well thought out, relatively glitch free. High scores on review sites like Metacritic. Etc. Popularity wasn't really a factor. If you didn't like them, it was more a matter of personal preference than the game itself being bad.

I was talking about games that WEREN'T like the above. Games that were terribly made. Buggy, unfair, and about as polished as sandpaper. And yet, for some reason, they are fun. Maybe there's that one redeeming factor that you enjoy? Maybe because you really like the concept the developer(s) had and could derive enjoyment from that? Or maybe you're just a masochist that enjoy playing terrible games.

Games that you like despite how bad they are.
Off the top of my head~
PS1: Army Men 3D, Creatures, Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue.
N64: Rugrats In Paris, Pokemon Snap.
PS2: Kessen 1+2, Final Fantasy X-2, Dyansty tactics, Shadow the Hedgehog.
PS3: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, Final Fantasy 13, Resident Evil 6.

i dont even know anyone whose played this but seen very below average reviews (9/10 being average in their language).

I said this in a previous status but I played the .hack //G.U. trilogy.
Mostly for his story, a little for his gameplay.

I think it received mostly bad critics.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
Chaos Wars on the PS2. Even though it serves as the example of terrible voice acting, it had the option for Japanese voices and I genuinely enjoyed the game. I also enjoyed Resonance of Fate, which got some pretty below-average reviews from critics and several players.
Sonic Adventures 1 & 2:
These games are so glitchy that even though I've played them somewhat consistently since they first came out, I've STILL managed to encounter something "new" nearly every time I've played.
Thing is, though, I can't get the kind of experience these games offer from anything else - not even other Sonic games. These are the only two games I can think of with perfect controls (barring camera or collision antics), fairly open-ended level design and a freaking BROKEN spin dash allowing for stupid shortcuts!

Starfox Adventures:
Everyone bags on this one, but honestly I think the only thing really wrong with it is the miserable turning speed. Yeah, the on-foot missions aren't super mind blowing, but I've played MUCH worse.

author=StarSkipp
Shadow the Hedgehog

I'll admit I don't hate everything about this game. Just the mind-numbing "kill 700 of x" missions and the maze stages.

author=Darken
(9/10 being average in their language).

QFT
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I love Dear Esther but a lot of people hate it because it's too vague and artsy. Which it is. But I still absolutely love it.

Starseed Pilgrim: It's more like one that no-one has heard of, but those that have, dismiss it as "Jonathan Blow's favorite game" and as an overrated game for people who idolize game design over actual gameplay experience. I count myself in that category sometimes. Starseed Pilgrim is a gem.

Fez. People love it, tons of people love it, but tons of people hate it too. Just like Phil Fish. I'm not sure whether this is counting as "everyone hates it" but I listed it here anyway.
author=Dyhalto
SaGa Frontier. It was universally panned when it came out. Everybody I knew personally was saying "I rented it and it sucked". Maybe it was riding too close to FF7's coattails.

But then there's SaGa Frontier 2 :D That one's just straight up universally panned except by me.

SaGa Frontier got a lot of stick, but it was one of my favorites during its time of release. I seem to remember SaGa Frontier 2 got a positive reception though--it was a beautiful game and it addressed some of the mechanical problems that 1 suffered from.

I really enjoyed 2, but I felt Gustave's scenario was cut short a bit early, especially compared to the three generations of the Knights family. I saw it through to the end, but I must admit that I lost interest by the time Ginny took center stage. I'll take political intrigue over MacGuffin-hunting any day.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Final Fantasy 8
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (the game, obviously)
24: The Game
author=nurvuss
author=Dyhalto

SaGa Frontier got a lot of stick, but it was one of my favorites during its time of release. I seem to remember SaGa Frontier 2 got a positive reception though--it was a beautiful game and it addressed some of the mechanical problems that 1 suffered from.

I really enjoyed 2, but I felt Gustave's scenario was cut short a bit early, especially compared to the three generations of the Knights family. I saw it through to the end, but I must admit that I lost interest by the time Ginny took center stage. I'll take political intrigue over MacGuffin-hunting any day.

OMG I loved SaGa Frontier 2, also! XD I chose my deviantart- artist-/nickname after a character: "Nebelstern" XD

On PS2 I have much respect for "Rule of Rose" - It's got a bold storyline /setting, AAA art style and is one of the most valuable games in my collection - but I also admit, the gameplay is beyond shitty. XD The worst ever. Those controls and combat... but somehow I'm glad.. i'm sure it helped in making it a "hidden gem" game...
janussenpre
愛・おぼえていますか
Had to pop in and agree on Saga Frontier. One of the best damn RPGs I've ever played.
stfu ff8 and ff10-2 are amazing (i'm being repetitive, stating this in every thread)
ummm... Legend of Legaia. It used to dazzle me, as a child -- a great game. Yet nowadays when I get to it I notice the writing is terrible and the gameplay is very stale, but still fun and fresh xD
I like it a lot, even considering the bad writing and the cliches. For some reason that game got an extremely unique atmosphere.
Another cool one, Shadow Madness. Nice writing, horrible gameplay and relatively bad graphics. But I absolutely adore it. Mainly thanks to the atmosphere.
It's awesome! <3

EDIT: The backgrounds remind me of the RM Classic, The Way. xD
Pages: first 1234 next last