RMN GAMMA WORLD RPG

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I roll a 1 (+9 from skill) for perception to notice more about what we may have passed.

I also roll a 9 for a strength check to crank the rusty wheel. (Is this an athletic check or are there also base stat checks? Not sure what numbers to add, 9 is what my dice actually came up as. Should I just be listing my base rolls in the first place?)
Well, he said a STRENGTH check, so I assume you would use your Strength modifier.

Hm, I wonder what's down that porthole... while Phase tries to open the bulkhead, i'll see what's down there. (do I need to roll anything for this?)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh, I see, there's a roll modifer for strength next to the base amount.

9 +4 for strength then.
guess I'll find a crowbar or something to help out Phase.
LockeZ
You can aid another character in a skill check! If you roll 10 or higher, it adds +2 to the original character's attempt. Not every skill check can be aided if it doesn't make sense, but helping me pull on a rusty wheel would be a perfect example of this.

Source (scroll down to Aid Another)

All three of us actually also have the ability to use Aid Another on ourselves as one of our mutant powers, and it's an at-will power which means it can be done as often as I want, so I guess I'll do that too? Actually, use of the Aid Another: Self powers should probably just be automatic any time we're not in combat.

(I roll 5 on my Aid Another: Self check. Failure!)
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
The grunt and groaning of the reanimated corpse seems to fill the air. Scuttling up the wall and standing on it above the bulkhead, Shadow is able to peer through the porthole. (Without a Perception Roll, I will assume a 10 plus modifyer. So, 14.)
It is just enough to notice shadowy figures moving around, but not enough to discover details.
While Ser peers around the floor for something to help jimmy open the door, and Shadow is doing his thing, Phase is remembering all he saw on the long trip.

Behind them the shadowy complex they emerged from paled in comparison to the surrounding city. Disregarding the tube to the surface world, there were plenty of sky-reaching towers. All of them black and twisted with decay. These were off a bit in the distance. Behind the Lobby quite some ways. On either side of the current tube lay wasted garbage, ancient machines, and distant shadows of giant sea creatures.
More importantly, Phase noted the tube was elevated on a ridge, below which stood seven glass domes. Each one internally lit up. The details were hard to make out, but each one had a collection of buildings, solitary buildings, and one seeming to be just forest. It would be difficult to tell more from this vantage point, because of all the long seaweed and marine life getting in the way.

At last, after ten minutes of exerting himself unaided, Phase heard an audible scrape of metal as the rust cracked free.
Shadow instantly can see the shadowy figures stop moving.
"G-guys there are creepy shadowy things down there... I couldn't quite see what they were. Should we worry about that? They all stopped moving too... do you think they'll ignore us? W-well, maybe we shouldn't worry about them. Should we go? I think we should go, because I'm a bit creeped out."
LockeZ
"What are you freaking out for? They probably just live here. They're probably just on their lunch break at the giant painting factory, and worried that their shift manager has showed up to make them go back to work. Lighten up. There's at most a 20% chance that they're mindless, soul-devouring spirit beasts who've infested the dead ruins of this place and are waiting for hapless travelers to prey upon. Let's go inside."
"20%?!?! Um... how much is that exactly...? Let's see.... um, it's 20 out of 100 right, that's how percents work, isn't it...? Okay, I THINK that isn't too high of a chance. I think. Okay, okay, let's go inside."
Dudesoft
Sorry guys... working doubles and doing GISHWHES... Busy as poop.
Anyway, this is OVERDUE.

You feel the bulkhead open on it's own spring-loaded mechanism. This place was built for convienence and comfort after all...
Beyond the doorway, you see five lurking creatures. They seem like black, shadowy humanoids. When the bulkhead creeks open they all turn sharply.
Like harpies, they let out a shriek of terrifying sound. Their burning red eyes are full of hunger. They all lift their arms to reveal wings of weird liquid-like shadow.

Roll for Initiative. (1d20)
You can also discuss any plan you have so that we're ready when I get back to this.
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH thisisn'tgoodthisisn'tgoodthisisn'tgood"

I roll and get 20 (added in Initiative of course).

"Um um um w-what do we do Phase what do we do?!"

(Dudesoft, what's GISHWHES?)
Dudesoft
author=wildwes
(Dudesoft, what's GISHWHES?)

It's a charity scavenger hunt. They basically get you to do a bunch of weird things.
LockeZ
Rolled a 13 for initiative. If we have initiative modifiers I don't see them.

"They don't look friendly. Stay on this side of the door so they can't surround us. And get your knife ready."
We do all have Initiative modifiers! Mine is 15 while you and Ser's are... 0. For both of you. How did I get such a big number while y'all got shorted? (Oh, random question Dudesoft, if I were to get a number OVER 20 when I added in a modifier (like rolling 10 plus my Initiative, for example, so it'd be 25) would it be 25 or would it round down to 20 or what?)

"M-my knife? I-I don't think I've ever actually used this for more than cutting rope and stuff, am I gonna have to use it on THEM?
Well... um... o-okay..."

I'll do what Phase said. I don't want to die after all.
rolled a 10.

"I'll try poisoning them with some sludge preemptively."
Dudesoft
I will get back to this today, I swear.
Wildwes, it would be the total, and I forget how you got that initiative but it is accurate.

Some creatures may have crazy initiative. In that case, you would do well and move first.
Really, you guys don't see where our Initiative modifiers are? LockeZ, ARGM, go look at your stats and stuff in the first post, your Initiative is in the same box that shows your HP and your Fortitude, Reflex, and Will modifiers. (I'd screenshot it but I'm too lazy)
Dudesoft
Doesn't matter, you're right they both have +0
Dudesoft
Side note: I need to revisit the bios. Apparently everyone has Aid Another? I think I screwed up. Anyway...
Combat: Gamma World 4e uses a grid and uses 'squares' instead of feet as measurement. So when I say "5 feet away" it means 1 square. Since we're not using a grid, I will stick to feet, but if I need to explain you're far away, I'll say it will take a round or half a round (etc) to reach melee range.
The enemies (because this is forum format) will always go in their own turn order after the players.

Turn Order:
Shadow
Phase
Ser
---
Shadow Welp 1-5 in order.

As you prepare yourself for what is clearly a battle of life or death, you see as the Shadow Welps mill around and shy a round of movement from the door except for Shadow Welp 1, who full-on sprints at the bulkhead entrance. By start of next turn he will be in melee range.
As the Shadow Welp gains momentum you begin to see the lines making it's silhouette are blurred and tattered, like a bad Photoshop job. They also seem to cast no shadow, or perhaps are actually corporal shadows by themselves! Only pseudoscience would make heads or tails of them...
"These shadow guys are really creepy... d-do you guys see how... shadow-y they are? It's weird... Oh! I just had an idea! That's uh, kinda rare for me, isn't it...? Um, well, you see, if they're made of shadows, like, you know, they SEEM to be, then maybe... I could... then again, I don't think I've used that in a while... hope I haven't forgotten how to do it. Let's see, what did Dad tell me... I think he said it's "like riding a bike." What was that saying supposed to mean again? That you never forget how to do it? Maybe? Hm, well I guess I'll figure it out, if that shadow-y thing could get closer... Oh! I haven't told any of you what I was gonna do! You uh, do y'all know about this uh, power I have? To, kind of uh, control shadows, I guess you could say? I can do that, sorta! I'll try it once that one gets closer..."

So Dudesoft, like you mentioned, I have the Aid Another description under Shadoweaver instead of the Shadoweaver description. That's uh, kinda weird. I'll just go off this description of it for now: Your description of Shadoweaver here says that I can use it on shadows within 5 squares of me. Sooooo how many feet, squares, whatever away is Shadow Welp #1 from us? I'm guessing too far away for me to do anything?