MAKERSCORE NOT ADDING UP?

Pages: 1
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Hey Guys,

I just though this was me, but I just saw a post from an actual game-maker in the Makerscore information topic stating that their game had received a review (coincidentally, from me) which meant they should get a MS bump, but they hadn't. I've had 7 reviews approved and so far only 4 of them have had MS attributed. The last one that seemed to work was on the 20th, the next one I had approved was on the 24th and since that's a week ago I would have thought it would have come through. Though I oddly have an extra 2 MS from somewhere.

I went and had a look at a few other users that have been submitting reviews lately and it looks like none of the reviews post the 22nd have been attributed. Have a look at Loser's profile for a prime example, he/she has had 7 reviews accepted since the 22nd and still has a displayed MS of zero.

Since a maker has also noticed a lack of growth I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not just the review attribution that has gone awry. Personally it makes little difference to me, I'm not a game maker so the MS is just a perk, but I know for those who make the games it means a lot, so not sure what changed behind the scenes around the 22nd of May, but something appears to have gone a little pear-shaped.

You know now that you mention it, I actually haven't got any new makerscore even though I got achievements and stuff. Nicely spotted.
I noticed it as well. I'm wondering if the MS is only tallied up at the end of the month. Hmm...
It should be refreshed once a day (midnight) so not sure what's going on.
hrmm.... I wonder if something happened to our CRON job that runs overnight? I'll take a look.

We haven't touched the code for calculating makerscore in a long while, so it must not be running...

EDIT:
it seems to be there, so not sure what's wrong... I am running it manually now. The site my lag a little. Hopefully it works, or if not then spit out an error msg.
nhubi
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
author=kentona
it seems to be there, so not sure what's wrong... I am running it manually now. The site my lag a little. Hopefully it works, or if not then spit out an error msg.

Well it worked since I jumped from 1202 to 1352 so that's the 3 reviews MS (still don't know what the extra 2 is for), but you running it manually won't be feasible in the long run I imagine.
author=nhubi
author=kentona
Well it worked since I jumped from 1202 to 1352 so that's the 3 reviews MS (still don't know what the extra 2 is for), but you running it manually won't be feasible in the long run I imagine.
Yeah, I started it an hour ago and it still seems to be running. I don't know if that means it just normally takes this long, or if it is hung up somewhere, or what.

....as I was typing this, it finished. Go figure.

Warning: Column 'date_registered' cannot be null
return self.cursor.execute(query, args)

...with a bug.

So we have two issues:
1) it's not running automatically like it should
2) there is a bug in the code

E:
and by bug in the code I mean bad data, obviously. I fixed the bad data.

Now I need to figure out why the CRON job wasn't running automagically...
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
How about making it so that instead of croning it out, it'd be recalculated when posting review (of course of that specific user)?

Let's say we have imaginary table users with things like name, hash (i hope you don't use plaintext!), etc. and maker score.

Then when posting review in submit routine, aside of review posting, maker score would be recalculated for review received, etc.

Basically it'd prevent such issues.
Not really, Rave, since it's not just reviews that generate MS. Images, gamepages, media, resources, donations, prizes, badges... a host of things generate it. Hell, even items you've already received MS for can gain you more when shown on the front page, so...
Rave
Well, CRON job should stay for things that can't be updated during submit action, but really, if you are accessing database when uploading image, review, game, etc. or when giving user badge, you may as well recalculate makerscore for appropriate people. This would help as CRON job would have less to do so will have less impact on server performance, but it also would mean that people would receive MS update faster.

Also which CRON implementation do you use? I have experience with unix-based systems (both Linux and other unixes like Solaris and FreeBSD) amd from my experience certain CRON implementations sometimes fail to execute like when time was updated via ntp or something similar (sometimes for weird reasons like bad timezone - yes it still should execute in 24 hour intervals but sometimes it doesn't).
I have no idea why MS was set up in such a way as to be run as CRON job. Blame WIP. Also, I have no idea what version of CRON we use. Whatever the WebMin panel uses for whatever version of webmin we have, on whatever version of linux we have (I think CentOS...?)
Rave
Can you give me source code access? Maybe I could fix it up so it won't need cronjob. To do that, I'd need both site and cron script access (one that updates MS). I could probably be done by next month (would need few weeks to get familiar with codebase, change itself I'd estimate for 1-3 days of work). Some testing environment would also be nice so I won't have to test on production (which is veeeeryyyyy baaaaaad idea for various different reasons).
Pages: 1