INSPIRED BY ART AND MUSIC TO MAKE A GAME?

Pages: 1
Wasn't very sure what to call this thread.
Have you ever had the idea/inspiration to make a game based on picture(s) or piece(s) of music?

Picture Example:

Source: (High quality) http://www.zerochan.net/1414982

This is the kind of image a person like me would be inspired to make a game from. I think that pictures like this, where people can make up their own story for it are the best for this.

Music Example:

I'm more into powerful music that makes gives off emotion. That's just me though.
The Necromancer by Rush. I want to make that into a game so bad. It's one of my favorite Rush songs and there's enough room to add new ideas. A lot of Rush songs would make good games, actually. Well...early Rush xD When they were still into making "epics". The Fountain of Lamneth, 2112, Hemispheres...

"The Necromancer"

'As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky,
the three travelers, men of Willowdale,
emerge from the forest shadow.
Fording the River Dawn, they turn south, journeying
into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer
Even now the intensity of his dread power can be felt,
weakening the body and saddening the heart
Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spectres...
stripped of will and soul, only
their thirst for freedom gives them hunger for vengeance...'

Silence shrouds the forest
As the birds announce the dawn
Three trav'llers ford the river
And southward journey on
The road is lined with peril
The air is charged with fear
The shadow of his nearness
Weighs like iron tears

'Shreds of black cloud loom in overcast skies.
The Necromancer keeps watch with his magic prism eyes.
He views all his lands and is already aware of the three helpless invaders
trapped in his lair...'

Brooding in the tower
Watching o'er his land
Holding ev'ry creature
Helplessly they stand
Gaze into his prisms
Knowing they are near
Lead them to the dungeons
Spectres numb with fear
They bow defeated

'Enter the Champion
Prince By-Tor appears to battle for freedom from chains of long years
The spell has been broken...the Dark Lands are bright.
The Wraith of the Necromancer soars
away in the night.'

Stealthily attacking
By-Tor slays his foe
The men are free to run now
From labyrinths below
The Wraith of Necromancer
Shadows through the sky
Another land to darken
With evil prism eye
I dunno - why make a game of an artwork that is from an existing game/anime?
If anything, it should be art and music completely unrelated to any product or story.

I was for example inspired by the RPG Maker 95 assets. As in I saw the pre-made characters and thought of a story in which the first character meets the other characters one by one in exactly that order.
Also the maptiles gave me ideas for dungeons and other features.

Music can also inspire me. There are some soundtracks that sound like official game soundtracks except they are completely original and unrelated to any game. I often think how a game would be like that has the music play in that order.
^About making a game based on artwork of a series, I can see how it happens. So long as people don't use the characters and such right off the page, I don't see anything wrong with it.
It also doesn't help that there's so much unsourced art out there, we may not know if the picture is from a series at first.

Music is my biggest inspiration for games above art and anything else. Probably because I spend a lot of time in the car listening to music and daydreaming random scenes. I can usually name specific songs that inspired my series.
Like... I've been wanting to make an idol fighting game for FOREVER but lack the programming or genre know how to tackle that task. So every time I listen to a few select j-idol tracks, I'm itching to create this game I'll never able to . It's the worst.
I’ll usually use it as a backdrop, something to go on quite loosely in order to build the founding structures and foundations of a game. But I’m not going to directly take exactly everything that’s there in the actual image and copy it word to word; I like to improvise and see what I can do with the image that I see or that’s given to me and twist it in new creative ways. I like to think that some games usually get kickstarted like this, just by looking at various images, paintings or other various works of art that exist out there and see what they can do with it to become its own thing.

Like, take that image that you have up there; I see some kind of a medieval / fantasy strategy based RPG revolving around different classes, various continents, races, and maybe even having a world above and a world below. These types of games are usually not my thing, but that’s what I can make out of it.

As for music, I also take the same approach as with images: just another backdrop. I’ll usually listen to something, look at maybe a sketch or something of what I possibly might want, close my eyes and envision “would this work?” Sometimes it doesn’t and sometimes it does.

Is it technically stealing or immoral? Eh…I don’t think so. I guess as long as you twist it enough in your own image and find different ways to make it stand out more on its own compared to the piece of art or music that inspired you, I guess that’s okay. Many different developers have done the same, so why not? It’s a good tool.

I’ll stick to recording dreams and shape something out of that, but this method isn’t a bad substitute for it.
Well my game is entirely inspired by African art, music, and culture. So to answer your question: YES.

I like that song you posted by the way I think I'll bookmark it.
Pages: 1