THE NEXT RPG MAKER

Pages: first 1234 next last
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Enterbrains last big engine was RPG Maker VX Ace.
If they plan on doing a new engine what should it include?

Things you can think about:

What should it be called? Mapping features? Battle Sytems? Changes to Eventing?

Edit: What I was thinking about.

Tile mapping should have 4 layers. Also there should be more options with the parallax mapping. Such as an option to automatically fix the parallax to the map. Also the ability to have multiple parallaxes at different levels (Ground, sky, shadow, and light.) This would remove any need for scripting to do parallax mapping. Also the ability to have 4 layers for tile mapping should make tile mapping much better.

Why is the battle system so one dimensional. I don't remember playing so many front view battle systems when I was a kid. An automatic option should have already been included in Ace to have side view battles (Which is more common by far than front view.) But this should have already been a feature. So they should add the option of also having real time battles in the next make. This is already possible through scripting, so there's no excuse for it not to exist.

I think we could get rid of all that battle stuff crap if they came up with a version of Ace that focused on turn based strategy / tactics games such as shining force and final fantasy tactics. I think there's a enough interest in this that an engine focusing on this might be popular.

Lastly, we need a slight improvement to eventing. Events are made to occur, usually, when they interact with the player. It becomes more difficult to make events work with other events. For example if you want an event to go through another event, but you don't want the player to go through it or vice versa. You want events to trigger when events over lap each other or are next to each other. Currently you need to use a complicated variable system to make this work. But it could all be made simpler through more options in eventing.

As for a name for the next engine:

RPG Maker: Advanced Tactics

Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
I think that OpenRPG Maker is what Enterbrain should be suggested in terms of features (but not development speed!)
I just want more control over the actual game systems without having to rely on scripting. Perhaps something in the database to design menu and dialogue window layouts in a similar fashion to how Powerpoint works. You could click and drag the mouse the create windows, click and drag to position where they'd appear on the screen, etc.

More mapping layers, functions that don't require users to dip into scripts to modify (default fonts, resolution, etc.), and maybe two to three default battle systems that all operate using the same algorithms (front view, side view, and action RPG).

Other little dumb features that aren't mandatory but could be sort of neat and gimmicky such as having blip noises play as text displays in boxes (think Shining Force), animated faces during conversations (Shining Force again), built in pseudo 3D (Mode 7) with a database section to control angle/height/etc.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it will be called RPG Maker 7 or RPG Maker 2015. Maybe they'll completely blow everyone's mind with something called RPG Maker HD or RPG Maker 3D. Wouldn't that create quite the buzz?

ALSO, PLEASE:
Rave
UPRC, you realize that you described two distinct features of Open RPG Maker, right?
They also should add way more control over battle events & conditions as well because the limitations in VXA suck! Also vehicle control! I should have COMPLETE control over which terrain my vehicles can travel over, seriously, making a sub & underwater maps as well as surfacing & diving options is a pain! Also they need to bring back RM2K3's random dungeon generator back so that a dungeon's floor will randomly generate each time you enter it, like the Ancient Cave in Lufia 2.
I would love it for the new RPG Maker if you could have the option to be able to pick between three different battle layouts at the start: Turn Based (2k, XP, VX, VX Ace), ATB (2k3), and maybe even Real Time without having to manually manipulate it by making your own custom additions using scripts or ruby. I would also love it for this new RPG Maker to be able to have both mobile, tablet and desktop support where you can run, create and even play your game(s) using both devices. Maybe even having the option upon starting a new project for beginners to have a little hands-on tutorial about what each certain features and commands do so they can have a better grasp and understanding of the program a bit better instead of just trying to fiddle around with it on their own or ask for help elsewhere.

Other than some other minor additions (online achievements / multiplayer, maybe even having the ability to port some of your old XP, VX, and VX Ace games over to it), I would just love if they could combine 2k3’s simplicity with XP’s mapping abilities and VX Ace’s functionality. As for the name? I dunno…RPG Maker Alpha? Seriously, I don’t really care what they name it; it just better be good (and affordable).

Still keep it in 2D, though.
lol rpg maker 3d

still got my copy.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

The problem with 3D RPG makers are the file sizes of your games, but I would totally love to make an Elderscrolls game if I ever did get one.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
They made a new thing it was called Action Game maker (IindieGameMaker in the west) and it was suuuuuck!

I'm not sure they will make another one. Introducing a new generation means a whole new bunch of hassles, unless they make it easy to convert to the newest one. (Recycle a Ruby Game scripting system language) but I dunno, it's gonna be hard to beat Ace now, and Ace is still selling copies like wildfire.

As for 3D, there's been only one engine that simplifies that a little, (Platinum Arts sandbox) and it's not real 3d, it's 2.5D like Heretic, Doom and those older games, it's stunning looking 2.5D dont get me wrong, but it's not realtime 3D, doing any sort of real 3D requires programming knowledge of a sort, and a lot of work. I don't think it's something you can just make a 'maker' for.

The Neverwinter Nights toolsets are also pretty good if you're willing to check out a few tutorials, but the logic is hardcoded in, so it's dice-rolls or eye lulls at every turn.

Also Importing anything in those engines i mentioned is an absolute choir, it's not a simple case of drag and drop files.

I think a 3D "hold your hand" game maker would be cool, but I can't see it happening due to technical issues.
Rave
There's 3D "hold your hand" game maker out there. It's called CraftStudio, but has number of issues (example: It's stuck with Minecraft-like graphics, N64-like graphics if you try REALLY hard).

Also Platinum Arts sandbox, is in fact true 3D editor (based on great Cube2/Sauerbraten engine). Dunno from where you got that info it's 2.5D like Doom...
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Rave
There's 3D "hold your hand" game maker out there. It's called CraftStudio, but has number of issues (example: It's stuck with Minecraft-like graphics, N64-like graphics if you try REALLY hard).
You sure showed me!

author=Rave
Also Platinum Arts sandbox, is in fact true 3D editor (based on great Cube2/Sauerbraten engine). Dunno from where you got that info it's 2.5D like Doom...
I just assumed since while playing it I could change where I was looking and the wall texture got all distorted. Sharing the texturing oddities with its 2.5D predecessor.

I could be wrong though, and for how easy it is to run, it looks really fuckin' nice.
Rave
author=BizarreMonkey
I just assumed since while playing it I could change where I was looking and the wall texture got all distorted. Sharing the texturing oddities with its 2.5D predecessor.

It got distorted, because default textures in PASandbox are crap. Also shader is bad as well. It isn't worst shader I've seen in Cube2-derived games, but it is worse than one used in current builds of Sauerbraten.
I would like the ability to create a save during test playing, even if the game has saving disabled. This would help so much with testing - just the other day I got through a part and remembered I'd disabled saving in that area, but had ages to go back to the save point (and thus afterwards added another fucking save point because fuck me). Being able to call up a one-time save in testing would be great. Hell, more options during testing would be nice.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Liberty
I would like the ability to create a save during test playing, even if the game has saving disabled. This would help so much with testing - just the other day I got through a part and remembered I'd disabled saving in that area, but had ages to go back to the save point (and thus afterwards added another fucking save point because fuck me). Being able to call up a one-time save in testing would be great. Hell, more options during testing would be nice.

You could add that in with a single line of code.
Pixel-based movement seems fun.
And maybe a packaged interactive tutorial game explaining the basics of the maker and rgss(n).

Also, moar layers for mapping! And the ability to include only the used rtp assets, and not the entire rtp when compressing the game.

Finally, multiple platform support. Like Linux, Android, Windows Phone, etc.
Rave
On Linux, RM runs quite well on Wine, but I agree that native solution would be better. Not sure how it would work on Android since most of the phones has little to no HW buttons and you need to talk to NPCs somehow...
Rave, it could have virtual on-screen buttons. Something like those found in emulators? Though yeah, I agree that it is going to be hard...
Rave
author=karins_soulkeeper
Rave, it could have virtual on-screen buttons. Something like those found in emulators?

Yeah, it is so fun having half of game's screen obstructed by your fingers when you are trying to hit buttons that are either too small or too big. Very funny indeed.

I can play Megaman 2 on pc emulator fairly well. On something like Nesoid? Not so much...
Considering that most phones nowadays have 6-10" screens, I think this is viable.
Would work fairly well on tablets too.
Pages: first 1234 next last