THE NEXT RPG MAKER

They should also have sprite generators for map sprites. I find it stupid that there wasn't a map sprite for every default monster. I've seen some games use a white orb-like cloud to represent an enemy on the map, with no way of knowing what kind of enemy it was. They should also give you the option to choose battle types like front view, side view or ABS.
I like the RTP... but that's no surprise to anyone here. That said, I vote against using painted style again. Back to pixels please! (Much, much easier to edit and mess around with.) And maybe not quite as bright. AND PLEASE CAN HAS CURVES BACK?! ;.;

Don't get me wrong, I like Ace's style, I do, and I certainly don't want a return of XPs terrible chips (ugh) but actual curves to cliffs and whatnot would be so appreciated.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Is... there a difference between XP and Ace's RTP chips other than the lack of curves in Ace, and the face that Ace's tiles are scaled a little smaller for the chibi characters? I was pretty sure everything else was extremely similar, though I guess there could be more differences in the tilesets I never use... like the tileset that's supposed to be inside a creature's body or whatever.
XP's style is a lot more drab and the colour scheme is very... bleh. There's something wholly unlovable about it; perhaps it's the style, perhaps it's the way it tries too hard to be 'realistic', perhaps it's the shadows or the way it's set on the grid, perhaps it's all these things combined. A lot of people consider it the worst of the RTP versions. There's just this thing about it that makes you want to give it a consolation prize ribbon. "You tried, RTP. God knows, you tried..."
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Huh. I don't see any of what you're talking about. I've also never heard of anyone liking Ace's RTP more than XP's before - I've heard the opposite from bunches of people though. AFAIK the only difference between the two is that Ace has no curved edges. Everything else looks the same to me, just about 1/3 shorter to match the chibi characters.

I guess maybe Ace's tiles might be preferable if you just really like that it uses painted tiles instead of pixelled ones. I can't tell the difference unless I'm zoomed way in, though.

IDK I'm absolutely horrible at pixel art so there is almost certainly important stuff here that I'm completely missing. I'd love to know what it is so I can try to avoid it when making/editing tiles.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
My main gripe with the RTP is in the way they draw portraits, the tilesets for VX and Ace are fine, I share in Liberty's opinion of the XP tilesets, they look "dusty" and not really very good at all. VX and VX Ace's tilesets are very crisp, it feels like I'm in a world rather than a pretentious painting.

Like, Here's a comparison to the styles:

It feels flat, dusty and dull.

Compared to this.

The autoshadows here are wretched, but it feels and looks right, contrasted, if you look at the XP example, you could easily think "shrink that to 25% and nothing will be distinguishable", which is correct. Pixel art or not, it is bad.

VX and VX Ace decided to go with more contrast, if you shrink that screen down, you could tell whet most of it is. Because all details stand out in their way, where as XP everything sort of bleeds together.

I hope I explained that well!
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
BizarreMonkey, your second image is not showing, which makes the comparison less effective than it probably was intended to be.

It's funny how this discussion keeps coming up, though. I know there are people (like Liberty) who will think I'm crazy for actually liking this "dusty", "pretentious" or whatever you want to call it, style of XP. I'm certainly no authority on the field of art and graphics, and perhaps I'm just biased because it's the engine I have been using all this time. Still, I can't help but find the "artificiality" of the blockier VX and VX Ace tiles and characters generally less appealing.

Is my opinion here important? Probably not. But it does show something: Different people prefer different styles, and unless you are very good at scripting and/or art, all RPG Makers so far limited its users to one specific style. As far as I know, it's almost impossible to emulate an XP style in VX Ace or the other way round.
So, the next RPG Maker should have the in-built option to use different styles, patterns, templates, whatever, in order to let the user choose what kind of ressources they would like to make use of, without having to switch to a different program.
BizarreMonkey
Lol, it's not as if I was trying to start an argument, I was just saying my stake on it and was explaining why, since we were all doin' it.

Not my worry, I can pay my artists to do tilesets for me!

The image is showing for me, but I'm sure you've seen a VX Ace Map before, the main complaint it gets is yeah, being square, which Ace did circumvent a little with it's cliff autotiles, though evidently still not enough. As a man who likes contrast, I'm just yeah, much more into the VX/Ace sets, that is my opinion, and while I go to length to express that, it's not an opinion I believe should be the same across every single individual.
Why are we waiting around for Enterbrain to do it? We've got at least 5 super-talented C++ coders, and a few people who can make custom engines.

Next RpgMaker? Something homemade so it isn't copyright, something compatible with 2k/2k3 (I want it to use DynRPG), and something with highly functional framework so you don't need to understand Ruby script to build even an intermediate game.

Based on some things I've noticed using 2k3, I came up with a series of mockups. I'm making a zip file to showcase them, and you can ask me about them.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/3388/locker/RpgMakerXtreme.rar

Basically, I looked at empty spaces where they have an annoying missing feature (most glaring one would be the lack of percent, meaning a variable is needed just for a stupid Demi spell, though there are other issues, like having 4 pages when that could be for Common Events only, and Common Events could use battle stuff Hero HP/MP or MonsterHP/MP meaning you could do stuff internally, rather than annoying repeated code that you have to edit).

BizarreMonkey
author=bulmabriefs144
Why are we waiting around for Enterbrain to do it? We've got at least 5 super-talented C++ coders, and a few people who can make custom engines.

Next RpgMaker? Something homemade so it isn't copyright, something compatible with 2k/2k3 (I want it to use DynRPG), and something with highly functional framework so you don't need to understand Ruby script to build even an intermediate game.

Based on some things I've noticed using 2k3, I came up with a series of mockups. I'm making a zip file to showcase them, and you can ask me about them.

Basically, I looked at empty spaces where they have an annoying missing feature (most glaring one would be the lack of percent, meaning a variable is needed just for a stupid Demi spell, though there are other issues, like having 4 pages when that could be for Common Events only, and Common Events could use battle stuff Hero HP/MP or MonsterHP/MP meaning you could do stuff internally, rather than annoying repeated code that you have to edit).
My employer already has something in the works. An engine he is creating with the help of me and my "CCC" fellas. Which are actually his that I totally borrowed without permission!

The game Teardrop Distance is made in the beginnings of that engine.
The ability for me to mentally project my ideas onto the program and automatically make the game for me. :(
BizarreMonkey
author=zoviet_francis
The ability for me to mentally project my ideas onto the program and automatically make the game for me. :(
I want an art program of this sort, heh.

And a sound program too, fuck it i just want every program of that sort, because it's mythical-- but still...

Being able to produce anything out of brainwaves isn't completely outside of possibility. But it is dangerous and also, space age technology.

We're in the information age, if we don't end up in apocalypse, the Energy Age is what I see being next. (Fuel efficiency, and the discard of fossil fuels entirely)

Then the Band-age. (as in, a play on band-aid) where we fix up some of the damage we've done to the planet.

From their, we could go into the Space Age, the Quantum Age, or the Rapture Age.

But I'll leave that for another discussion.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=bulmabriefs144

http://openrpgmaker.sourceforge.net
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
If there's a 3D RPG Maker bandwagon, I'm on it. This is 2014 and they gave tools to make SNES games with smoother graphics.
How about the option to let us make something like final fantasy 7? Sure people would have to learn to make polygon models, but hey... Progression?
Hell, even something like Final Fantasy Tactics would be fine, still sprite-based, but 3D. Or Legend of Mana? Sprites with 8-direction movement.
The asset pipeline in all RMs is sorely lacking and everything has to conform to their spec unless you want to start throwing scripts and other awkward solutions around. Something I started was asset metadata in json files to define, for example, if a character graphic had four or eight directions, number of frames, dimensions, and walking/running graphic locations. It's frustrating that more dynamic data isn't built into any RM. I messed around with Adventure Game Studio years ago and it had better support for character graphics and animations back in the 2k(3) days.
The idea of a FF7-style engine sounds appealing, but that would mean graphic artists will really start being needed for alot of things all involving pre-rendered backgrounds. Probably giving deviant-artists a hell of a time.

Also you will need to plan-out your scenario beforehand, and have all stages set before setting it on engine-paper.

I remember Baldur's Gate modders having the same problem when they wanted to make custom content, but were forced to recycle known assets.
author=Dudesoft
If there's a 3D RPG Maker bandwagon, I'm on it. This is 2014 and they gave tools to make SNES games with smoother graphics.
How about the option to let us make something like final fantasy 7? Sure people would have to learn to make polygon models, but hey... Progression?
Hell, even something like Final Fantasy Tactics would be fine, still sprite-based, but 3D. Or Legend of Mana? Sprites with 8-direction movement.

There is one. It's called RPG Maker 3 for the PS2.
Tileset support could use work... parallax mappers, who always have to do extra work just to get simple things done, should get more tools to help them and not be punished with the silly engine limiting their efforts. And how in general the parallel process eventing is... just crap and so 1990's in how much lag just a few non-complex events can cause. Like its the same poor engine code reused from 2000 until Ace!

But... "RPG Maker 2015" will probably just be something designed solely for smartphones in mind and be limited in scope and ambition. There has to be a year for the company to goof around, when most of the staff can now finally take good long holidays and temp interns code something just as proof for showing up for work in the meantime.
Parallax mapping probably isn't going to be upgraded as it's not in-engine work. Why would the developers spend time on something that isn't meant to be used in-engine? That'd be like adding an image editing program inside the engine so that you could create your own graphics without having to use any other program at all. Sillyness.

That said, being able to pick the grid size for mapping would be nice. That is, 8/16/32 grid increments would be very helpful for making great maps without resorting to all-out parallaxing.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
author=zoviet_francis

Dude, you could do a hell of a lot more than make games with something like that.

author=bulmabriefs144

Why use DynRPG? The only reason that even exists is to improve functionality in RM2K3. Make it a feature of the new engine. Instead of having to code in C from a plug in, make it a feature, and just set the numeric limits at reasonable levels.